Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Tanveer
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
I want to start ROM hacking. I do have basic knowledge, as I used to mess around back in the days.
Which rom is most editable? Which rom can I use most tools for?

basically, which rom to hack, as my first hack ever !

Is there any essentials thread or something like the RPG Maker?
Which Script editor to use?
Which map editor?
all the essentials

Specially which Script editor to use. I want to change a lot of things and learn my way up :D

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Capitalist Ness

Nature: Relaxed
@up
I think Ruby is the best rom for editing, but no one cares about it. Most people here know alot about FireRed. IMO best script editor is XSE and best map editor is AM 1.92.

Anyways, I have a problem too.
I think it's a common problem, I remember encountering it in Light Platinum once. Not sure when. In some places, when I turn menu on/kick wild Pokemon's butt/make a trainer eat dirt, game glitches like hell. For example, game's camera going insane, main character's clonning. I have no idea why is it happening. But I pointed out that it happens mostly in places where I put new events.
Hope someone helps.
Hacking Ruby.
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
@up
I think Ruby is the best rom for editing, but no one cares about it. Most people here know alot about FireRed. IMO best script editor is XSE and best map editor is AM 1.92.

Anyways, I have a problem too.
I think it's a common problem, I remember encountering it in Light Platinum once. Not sure when. In some places, when I turn menu on/kick wild Pokemon's butt/make a trainer eat dirt, game glitches like hell. For example, game's camera going insane, main character's clonning. I have no idea why is it happening. But I pointed out that it happens mostly in places where I put new events.
Hope someone helps.
Hacking Ruby.
Hm, do any person events have the "look down" movement type? If so, change it to "No Movement", it makes the ow look down without the glitches.
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Capitalist Ness

Impressive, it worked.
Thank you very much! I thought it was something bigger. Why "look down" movement type causes these glitches?
You don't need to respond, but it just makes me think...
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
Impressive, it worked.
Thank you very much! I thought it was something bigger. Why "look down" movement type causes these glitches?
You don't need to respond, but it just makes me think...
Not sure, I think it's just a glitch code that Lu-Ho incorrectly labelled, though I'm no expert haha. Glad to have helped!
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Hello pipz.
I have a few questions that I hope anyone can help me.

I am editing the title screen of a Ruby ROM. I have done the tileset for the titlescreen and already done inserting it in the game via Unlz-GBA and repointing. Now, I wish to know where should I insert the .raw... I have arranged the tiles of the title screen through NTME.

Thanks and hope someone can help me.
I am reposting my question~
Hope anyone can help~
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

I am reposting my question~
Hope anyone can help~
The best way would be to just test by messing with the pointers near it, to be honest. It doesn't take long to find the right one.
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Black Zekrom
Beginning Trainer

Hello
Where can I download the newest version of HackMew's XSE tool?
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Zekrom View Post
Hello
Google, Google, Google...
Check out my tutorials:Next tutorials coming soon!
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Zekrom View Post
Hello :)
http://www.4shared.com/rar/lcgKM8Q5/XSE_Upload.html?

That's the latest version of XSE, 1.1.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasenshurikenbum View Post
Google, Google, Google...
Actually, Google doesn't help for that. Google only seems to have version 1.0.0
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
JMCjoe
Beginning Trainer

I'm kind of just messing around with a FireRed ROM in Advance Map, but when I try to load it in VisualBoy, it sets me up as though I'm playing Sienna with my party and items etc., however my changes are still in effect.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCjoe View Post
I'm kind of just messing around with a FireRed ROM in Advance Map, but when I try to load it in VisualBoy, it sets me up as though I'm playing Sienna with my party and items etc., however my changes are still in effect.
Is the ROM in the same place as Sienna's .sav file? If so, move the ROM into a separate folder.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
JMCjoe
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Is the ROM in the same place as Sienna's .sav file? If so, move the ROM into a separate folder.
Wow, I feel stupid now. But thanks!
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
I'm just wondering if it is possible to add IV Gen moves into a Fire Red ROM? Also does anybody know how to use the Day and Night system?

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
I'm just wondering if it is possible to add IV Gen moves into a Fire Red ROM? Also does anybody know how to use the Day and Night system?
Well fr the moves, you might want to check out this thread.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479

And the D&N, you can just apply it using the tool found here to your rom and it will work.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=246089
I laugh looking at this.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster View Post
Well fr the moves, you might want to check out this thread.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479

And the D&N, you can just apply it using the tool found here to your rom and it will work.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=246089
Thanks for the links to the first question asking about moves. I already have the Day and Night tool, I just don't know how to use it and can't find any tutorials anywhere.

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Quote:
Thanks for the links to the first question asking about moves. I already have the Day and Night tool, I just don't know how to use it and can't find any tutorials anywhere.
Oh right, well after its inserted the time will do its work. But if you want to use it in a script to check for time, you need get the values of the designated byte and compare it to whatever you want.
I laugh looking at this.

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Quote:
Oh right, well after its inserted the time will do its work. But if you want to use it in a script to check for time, you need get the values of the designated byte and compare it to whatever you want.
Uhh... Yea I can't script yet. I'm wanting to get the tiles, sprites, Pokemon states, moves, evos, etc, and other things done before I do scripting. So I do not understand what you are trying to say. I know how to hack pretty decently just never really worked on scripting yet. Are there any tutorials anywhere for it?

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Quote:
Uhh... Yea I can't script yet. I'm wanting to get the tiles, sprites, Pokemon states, moves, evos, etc, and other things done before I do scripting. So I do not understand what you are trying to say. I know how to hack pretty decently just never really worked on scripting yet. Are there any tutorials anywhere for it?
There is a simple one on WAH, but thats a spanish forum.
I laugh looking at this.

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Quote:
There is a simple one on WAH, but thats a spanish forum.
Well, everytime I went on that site in the past my internet browser always said translate? So I might be able to translate it, hopefully.

Old March 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM
shadowdragon17
Beginning Trainer

How can I edit Prof. Birch's script at the beginning of ruby (using PokeScript) so i can make him say what i want to but he'll still give me whichever starter I chose?
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdragon17 View Post
How can I edit Prof. Birch's script at the beginning of ruby (using PokeScript) so i can make him say what i want to but he'll still give me whichever starter I chose?
Find the special, and stick it in your script.

That way he'll give you whatever stater you want, but he'll say whatever you want.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 19th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Harminia

Just requoting because I ended up getting the last post before the next page so I don't know if anyone saw it..? (hopefully that won't happen again for this post..) If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminia View Post
Hi, apologies in advance if this is a completely dumb question that's been answered countless times. I've looked at heaps of tutorials and looked around for anything with the same problem but I can't really find anything that's specifically like mine.
So, this is my first time editing a ROM, I'm editing Ruby version.
I'm trying to put in edited sprites for the gym leaders in unLZ. I've followed the tutorials about how indexing it, finding free space, fixing the pointers.
And I can get one gym sprite showing up fine.

but if I try and import more than one leader's sprite they start messing up. The colours go crazy or if I'm on pokenav the page won't load at all and freezes.

I have no idea what to do. I thought maybe I had to put the in free space that was far away from eachother, but that doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The first time I add a new sprite is perfectly fine, but I don't know what's happening the second time to make it mess up round when I'm doing the exact same process.

(I'd give images but I have to make 15 posts beforehand, and to be honest I only joined the site to see if I can get help with this + I'm too distracted to go out and post right now + I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bypass it by putting in spaces in links or if that's against the rules)
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminia View Post
Just requoting because I ended up getting the last post before the next page so I don't know if anyone saw it..? (hopefully that won't happen again for this post..) If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful!
The main problem I find that new hackers have is that the offset has to be a multiple of 4. So it has to end in 0, 4, 8, or C. "123456" is not valid, but "123458" is fine. You get it?
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!

Nature: Sassy
I have a problem with XSE 1.1.1 and have searched google and the forums for hours.

Ive tried running as administrator and in compatabillity mode for XP SP1, SP2, and SP3 but i allways get this error:

"A whole new scipting experience has stopped working."

BTW Im running windows 7 SP1

NVM I got it fixed. Im just using it through my XP computer through remote app.

Last edited by redx2dth; March 20th, 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Solved.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here