The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Tabletop Games
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Tabletop Games For non-Pokémon discussion about traditional gaming, without the console. Talk about card games, board games, war games, and role playing games here.


 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
I know the queen used to be the weakest chess piece when the game was originally created but now it is the strongest. But why? Isn't the queen meant to be weak in combat? I don't understand why they made her the most powerful piece. Maybe you can provide an answer for me.
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #2    
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
arbok's Avatar
arbok
cobra pokemon
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 19
Gender: Male
as a wise man once said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".
__________________
my Kanto poison team

Bulbasaur-Ivysaur-Venusaur
Ekans-Arbok
Zubat-Golbat-(with nat. dex)Crobat
Nidoran(M)-Nidorino-Nidoking
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Tentacool-Tentacruel
  #3    
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbok View Post
as a wise man once said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".
I can certainly agree with that but this is the battlefield we're talking about >_<
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #4    
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
I did a little googling, and it seems that a lot of the pieces, especially the queen, were buffed to make games go by faster.
__________________
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon


  #5    
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Wings Don't Cry's Avatar
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Age: 20
Nature: Naive
Have you not seen Dragonball Z? Who's the one person that Goku is afraid of?

Also it might have something to do with the fact that Queen Elizabeth has been around for decades.
__________________

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
  #6    
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
I did a little googling, and it seems that a lot of the pieces, especially the queen, were buffed to make games go by faster.
Yes that is correct but I'm not speaking in terms of game play but in terms of the actual relationship between strength and identity.
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #7    
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM
AnastasiaStardustXiaolong's Avatar
AnastasiaStardustXiaolong
Pink Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Angel Grove
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
h9onestly i have no clue really. im not much of a chess player but i thought the strongest pieces were the knights
__________________
  #8    
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Well it depends on the situation I suppose. The knights certainly can be stronger than a queen and they are also my favourite pieces. But generally speaking, the queen is stronger.
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #9    
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
There have been plenty of queens at the head of countries so it's not like it's strange to have a queen be the most powerful. She is still royalty like the king. If I had to guess it was that they wanted to do something to make the king and queen different somehow. Maybe because they didn't think a king and queen ought to be equal.

Maybe it's just that someone decided that the royal pieces ought to be the strongest on the board, but then realized that they also have to make one of them special in that if they get taken that's the end of the game. Because the game needs some way to end it and because historically if you capture a king you get to take their kingdom, or something. It would be too hard (impossible maybe?) to win if the king could dance across the board like a queen (lol) so it had to be restricted and made less powerful.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
  #10    
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
There have been plenty of queens at the head of countries so it's not like it's strange to have a queen be the most powerful. She is still royalty like the king. If I had to guess it was that they wanted to do something to make the king and queen different somehow. Maybe because they didn't think a king and queen ought to be equal.

Maybe it's just that someone decided that the royal pieces ought to be the strongest on the board, but then realized that they also have to make one of them special in that if they get taken that's the end of the game. Because the game needs some way to end it and because historically if you capture a king you get to take their kingdom, or something. It would be too hard (impossible maybe?) to win if the king could dance across the board like a queen (lol) so it had to be restricted and made less powerful.
LMAO! I just envisioned myself dancing through the battlefield slaughtering a whole bunch of enemies with a lightsaber >_____>

But yes Scarf, I am aware of how important and politically powerful the queen generally is in an empire. But what I'm trying to emphasize is that I just can't see most queens sweeping the fields, destroying everything in their path
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #11    
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
LMAO! I just envisioned myself dancing through the battlefield slaughtering a whole bunch of enemies with a lightsaber >_____>

But yes Scarf, I am aware of how important and politically powerful the queen generally is in an empire. But what I'm trying to emphasize is that I just can't see most queens sweeping the fields, destroying everything in their path >_>
I always think of chess as more political than anything. I mean, bishops don't run across battlefields. Or if they do they aren't exactly what you'd call warriors.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
  #12    
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I always think of chess as more political than anything. I mean, bishops don't run across battlefields. Or if they do they aren't exactly what you'd call warriors.
That is very true and that also crossed my mind. Originally the Bishop could only move one space in a diagonal direction, so my argument still stands as to why they decided to make the Bishops that much more powerful when they don't exactly have the tendency to rush the battlefield.

I guess I can accept what you say though, that they converted political power into actual battle strength for the game.
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #13    
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus
dreaming a transient dream.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 風見学園
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
It's because of the concept of courtly love that occurred in the 12th / 13th centuries, I think; the queen was the most important piece to the king and once she was gone the board contained nothing else that was as valuable, et cetera. Also Eleanor of Aquitaine and her granddaughter Blanche were OP during the middle ages.
__________________

~あさきゆめみし君と~




さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく


pair · in tempore momenti · personal vloid playlist
d.c. ii art assets belong to circus. text: tororo.
  #14    
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM
Soul Saint's Avatar
Soul Saint
Ghost~
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Soul Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It's because of the concept of courtly love that occurred in the 12th / 13th centuries, I think; the queen was the most important piece to the king and once she was gone the board contained nothing else that was as valuable, et cetera. Also Eleanor of Aquitaine and her granddaughter Blanche were OP during the middle ages.
QFT

Exactly what I was thinking. Many Kings, leaders in general, get their power from their Queen. It comes from the relationship they have. Without the Queen, the King in most cases is much weaker. Depending on the circumstances that is. Looking at Queen Elizabeth, she was one of the greatest leaders the world had ever known. The pieces were changed to it's current form when it was first played across Europe - For strategy I'd say. Both on the battlefield and politically.
__________________
If ever you're looking for some help in writing a plot/events/etc for a hack or a fan-fic, I wouldn't mind offering some suggestions - Just PM/VM me.
  #15    
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:31 AM
Briar's Avatar
Briar
how do you make coffee sexy?
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: somewhere only we know.
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Impish
because if she's more powerful, she's also more vulnerable? the queen can make such bold steps that she presents herself to more danger than the king (chess-wise), which, in a sense, kind of makes her the king's most trusted sentinel, as sexist as that seemingly sounds. just my musings though.
__________________

i'm Briar.
  #16    
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Ravecat's Avatar
Ravecat
I'm Right.
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I see no reason that a Queen cannot be seen as physically powerful.
__________________
  #17    
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
I'm not trying to be sexist in a malicious manner but females in general aren't portrayed as "physically powerful".
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #18    
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Lynch's Avatar
Lynch
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bosnia and Hercegovina
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Hahah I guess Queen controls the king since king is noob and his woman controls everything.
__________________
[Sry for bad English]
  #19    
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Ravecat's Avatar
Ravecat
I'm Right.
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
I'm not trying to be sexist in a malicious manner but females in general aren't portrayed as "physically powerful".
They are, often, particularly Queens.
__________________
  #20    
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Gold warehouse's Avatar
Gold warehouse
peanut butter cake lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 20
It's nothing to do with sex, gender, or names to reflect power.

The queen was known by many other names before being named the queen. After Chess become prominent in Europe, the piece was renamed the queen by Europeans simply because it's starting point was next to the king.

The way pieces move were adapted simply based on their starting position and tactical/strategic value or fairness in an attempt to enhance the game, nothing to do with the pieces names. Why would a castle be highly manoeuvrable? Why do knights only move in an L shape? Why are bishops on the battlefield? Why is a weak and vulnerable king on the battlefield? The names mean nothing to chess.
  #21    
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM
zar
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Gender: Male
Chess is not a game of war strategy. Moving castles? Bishops in combat? I think not. It's to your own interpretation. I like to think of it as various ideas influencing you. Pawns are your social life, many individuals with a small impact. Knights would be chivalry in your life, always impacting it in unexpected ways. Bishops are religion, whether you are religious or not, religion has an impact on your life. Rooks could be either your location, or the architecture that surrounds you, I try to pay attention to what influences my life, but it's pretty difficult to tell if the layout of buildings you see really affects your thought process. Queens represent sex life, obviously the most powerful influence. King represents greed, the last to go down, and least visible effect to others when you explain your actions.
  #22    
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Renegade1's Avatar
Renegade1
#1 Noob!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Interwebz
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
To define 'stongest peice' for which situation? In chees a pawn can play a more vital role, then a queen given the circumstances. Therefore it's a stronger peice.
__________________



  #23    
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1 View Post
To define 'stongest peice' for which situation? In chees a pawn can play a more vital role, then a queen given the circumstances. Therefore it's a stronger peice.
Obviously I am referring to general case scenarios.
__________________
"Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #24    
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Zero Darkness's Avatar
Zero Darkness
The Cripple Who Is Whole
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Israel
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Darkness
Look at Heroes V, in the human gameplay you control a queen that are in the battlefield, you have bishops and things like that, I think that its just the imagination of the game developers and that it could be everything, but queen was the best suited and so castles, knightes and bishops, and the king.
If you will teach people that dont know what chess is, and tell them the king is dog, the queen is cat, the bishops is caw and the knights is mouses that will not make a diffrence in the game!
__________________
"There are two types of fights. Whenever we are in battle, we must be one of the two. The fight for life or…the fight for pride! Right now…He is fighting for his pride! His wife’s pride…his men's pride…Most importantly…his own personal pride. Dismiss this as his stubbornness…and let him fight alone like this…" -Jushiro Ukitake, Bleach-

"It's meaningless to just live, it's meaningless to just fight. I want to win!" -Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach-
  #25    
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Lilienne's Avatar
Lilienne
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In a cave, somewhere
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
I always thought that, while the queen is certainly maneuverable, it was the pawns or the knights that were more "powerful", since they're the pieces that most affect the outcome of the game, as they determine the offensive/defensive positions.
__________________
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6007/59ec8b8779dbbfe855c3394.png
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.