The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #20851    
Old March 27th, 2012 (08:20 AM).
jabberjabber8's Avatar
jabberjabber8
../\..
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
In Advance Map, go into the settings menu and select "choose script editor", then browse to your script editor (XSE, PKSV, whatever you use), click yes or no on the popup that comes up, then select the Script Tile for the script you want to view and either double click it or click the "Open Script" button.
Have tried that but the box saying "open script" is greyed out and I cant click it, and if I double click the event nothing happens.
__________________


Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
  #20852    
Old March 27th, 2012 (09:43 AM).
Spherical Ice's Avatar
Spherical Ice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8 View Post
Have tried that but the box saying "open script" is greyed out and I cant click it, and if I double click the event nothing happens.
That means there isn't a script assigned to it. If you step on it in game, does anything happen?
__________________
  #20853    
Old March 27th, 2012 (10:28 AM).
jabberjabber8's Avatar
jabberjabber8
../\..
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
That means there isn't a script assigned to it. If you step on it in game, does anything happen?
Yep in game it works fine.

Scratch that i have fixed the problem, thanks all
__________________


Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
  #20854    
Old March 27th, 2012 (07:01 PM).
paranvoi
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posting again because no one answered my last question.

Is there anyway to get Advance Text to automatically always repoint text that is longer than the original? Sometimes the program does it, but sometimes it gives this message: "There's enough space after the text. The text won't be repointed."

It then leaves the long text in the same position as the text that was shorter than it = it spills over into other strings and corrupts them = whole ROM irreversibly corrupted.
  #20855    
Old March 27th, 2012 (07:42 PM).
Pppgggr's Avatar
Pppgggr
Cheese, for everyone!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Hey, I recently attempted to begin Rom hacking and I've had some serious problems when I've tried to use both Advanced map and PVS-UI script editor. I'm not sure which program is the cause, so I'm going to be a thurough as possible as to what I did when I installed both programs, and what I'm trying to do.

My Installation
Spoiler:

Advance Map:
Downloaded the zip, unzipped it, clicked the exe, selected my language, and then opened a rom.
PVS:
Downloaded the zip, unzipped it into its own folder, and ran the AssociateShell.


What I'm attempting to do:
Spoiler:

I'm setting up a quick code to see if I've gotten the hang of the PVS programming language. I'm basically assigning a specific code to a person event with advance map. This person event will basically offer you a pokemon, give you a yes or no prompt, if you click yes, it sets the flag to 1 and gives you an egg. If you speak to him again, he simply asks how the pokemon is doing. If you click no, it displays a separate message.

How I went about this:
Spoiler:

I openned up Fire Red on PVS and typed up this code:
Spoiler:

Code:
#dynamic 0x740000
#org @main
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 jump @haveit
message @want
callstd MSG_YESNO
if 0x1 jump @pushedyes
jump @pushedyes
jump @pushedno
#org @haveit
message @howsit
callstd MSG_NORMAL
release
end
#org @pushedyes
setflag 0x200
giveegg TORCHIC
message @herego
callstd MSG_NORMAL
release
end
#org @pushedno
message @dontwant
callstd MSG_normal
release
end
#org @want
= I have this egg. Do you/nwantit?
#org @howsit
= So, hows that egg I gave/nyou?
#org @herego
= Raise it well!
#org @dontwant
= Oh, ok. Maybe someone/nelse will take it

Then, I compiled it.(Compile logs here)
Spoiler:

Code:
Initialized.
#DYNAMIC
   -> 0x740000
#ORG
   -> @main
CHECKFLAG
   -> 0x200
IF
   -> 0x1
   -> JUMP
DYN-> @haveit
MESSAGE
DYN-> @want
CALLSTD
   -> msg_yesno
      -> 0x5
IF
   -> 0x1
   -> JUMP
DYN-> @pushedyes
JUMP
DYN-> @pushedyes
JUMP
DYN-> @pushedno
#ORG
   -> @haveit
MESSAGE
DYN-> @howsit
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @pushedyes
SETFLAG
   -> 0x200
GIVEEGG
   -> torchic
      -> 0x118
MESSAGE
DYN-> @herego
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @pushedno
MESSAGE
DYN-> @dontwant
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @want
[STRING]
   -> I have this egg. Do you/nwantit?
#ORG
   -> @howsit
[STRING]
   -> So, hows that egg I gave/nyou?
#ORG
   -> @herego
[STRING]
   -> Raise it well!
#ORG
   -> @dontwant
[STRING]
   -> Oh, ok. Maybe someone/nelse will take it
#ORG: data
   -> @main <-> 0x740DB8 (0x22 bytes)
   -> @haveit <-> 0x740DDA (0x9 bytes)
   -> @pushedyes <-> 0x740DE3 (0xF bytes)
   -> @pushedno <-> 0x740DF2 (0x9 bytes)
   -> @want <-> 0x740DFB (0x21 bytes)
   -> @howsit <-> 0x740E1C (0x1F bytes)
   -> @herego <-> 0x740E3B (0xF bytes)
   -> @dontwant <-> 0x740E4A (0x29 bytes)

Then, I copied everything after the 'x' on the @main offset (the 740DB8 portion) and pasted it into the script offset for the person event in Advance map. In advance map, I did nothing but assign the Brandon icon to the event, and then input the offset. When I input the offset and click open script, I get this:
Spoiler:

Code:
#org 0xC0DB874
'-----------------------------------

When I set up Advancemap to use PVS, I clicked no when it gave me the prompt. Something to do with whether or not the offsets used ":" or " " or something or other. I assumed it meant the
-> @main <-> 0x740DB8 (0x22 bytes)
type thing, so I set it to no.
__________________
  #20856    
Old March 28th, 2012 (09:36 AM). Edited March 28th, 2012 by jabberjabber8.
jabberjabber8's Avatar
jabberjabber8
../\..
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
One more question (=

I have a title screen from one of my old hacks but now I am starting over, is there anyway I can easily use that title screen on my new game?

Edit -
Fixed my own problem again, sorry. (=
__________________


Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
  #20857    
Old March 28th, 2012 (01:28 PM).
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranvoi View Post
Posting again because no one answered my last question.

Is there anyway to get Advance Text to automatically always repoint text that is longer than the original? Sometimes the program does it, but sometimes it gives this message: "There's enough space after the text. The text won't be repointed."

It then leaves the long text in the same position as the text that was shorter than it = it spills over into other strings and corrupts them = whole ROM irreversibly corrupted.
Why don't you just make it so that you repoint the text data first and then put your new text in blank space (where you of course repointed it) and edit that part of the rom data with the editor ?
Tools like Advancetext are totally useless if you don't use them for writing text quicker (which is also why I use a text editor for Gen II hacking myself).
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #20858    
Old March 28th, 2012 (04:39 PM).
The Void's Avatar
The Void
Iron hand in a velvet glove
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppgggr View Post
Hey, I recently attempted to begin Rom hacking and I've had some serious problems when I've tried to use both Advanced map and PVS-UI script editor. I'm not sure which program is the cause, so I'm going to be a thurough as possible as to what I did when I installed both programs, and what I'm trying to do.

My Installation
Spoiler:

Advance Map:
Downloaded the zip, unzipped it, clicked the exe, selected my language, and then opened a rom.
PVS:
Downloaded the zip, unzipped it into its own folder, and ran the AssociateShell.


What I'm attempting to do:
Spoiler:

I'm setting up a quick code to see if I've gotten the hang of the PVS programming language. I'm basically assigning a specific code to a person event with advance map. This person event will basically offer you a pokemon, give you a yes or no prompt, if you click yes, it sets the flag to 1 and gives you an egg. If you speak to him again, he simply asks how the pokemon is doing. If you click no, it displays a separate message.

How I went about this:
Spoiler:

I openned up Fire Red on PVS and typed up this code:
Spoiler:

Code:
#dynamic 0x740000
#org @main
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 jump @haveit
message @want
callstd MSG_YESNO
if 0x1 jump @pushedyes
jump @pushedyes
jump @pushedno
#org @haveit
message @howsit
callstd MSG_NORMAL
release
end
#org @pushedyes
setflag 0x200
giveegg TORCHIC
message @herego
callstd MSG_NORMAL
release
end
#org @pushedno
message @dontwant
callstd MSG_normal
release
end
#org @want
= I have this egg. Do you/nwantit?
#org @howsit
= So, hows that egg I gave/nyou?
#org @herego
= Raise it well!
#org @dontwant
= Oh, ok. Maybe someone/nelse will take it

Then, I compiled it.(Compile logs here)
Spoiler:

Code:
Initialized.
#DYNAMIC
   -> 0x740000
#ORG
   -> @main
CHECKFLAG
   -> 0x200
IF
   -> 0x1
   -> JUMP
DYN-> @haveit
MESSAGE
DYN-> @want
CALLSTD
   -> msg_yesno
      -> 0x5
IF
   -> 0x1
   -> JUMP
DYN-> @pushedyes
JUMP
DYN-> @pushedyes
JUMP
DYN-> @pushedno
#ORG
   -> @haveit
MESSAGE
DYN-> @howsit
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @pushedyes
SETFLAG
   -> 0x200
GIVEEGG
   -> torchic
      -> 0x118
MESSAGE
DYN-> @herego
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @pushedno
MESSAGE
DYN-> @dontwant
CALLSTD
   -> msg_normal
      -> 0x6
#ORG
   -> @want
[STRING]
   -> I have this egg. Do you/nwantit?
#ORG
   -> @howsit
[STRING]
   -> So, hows that egg I gave/nyou?
#ORG
   -> @herego
[STRING]
   -> Raise it well!
#ORG
   -> @dontwant
[STRING]
   -> Oh, ok. Maybe someone/nelse will take it
#ORG: data
   -> @main <-> 0x740DB8 (0x22 bytes)
   -> @haveit <-> 0x740DDA (0x9 bytes)
   -> @pushedyes <-> 0x740DE3 (0xF bytes)
   -> @pushedno <-> 0x740DF2 (0x9 bytes)
   -> @want <-> 0x740DFB (0x21 bytes)
   -> @howsit <-> 0x740E1C (0x1F bytes)
   -> @herego <-> 0x740E3B (0xF bytes)
   -> @dontwant <-> 0x740E4A (0x29 bytes)

Then, I copied everything after the 'x' on the @main offset (the 740DB8 portion) and pasted it into the script offset for the person event in Advance map. In advance map, I did nothing but assign the Brandon icon to the event, and then input the offset. When I input the offset and click open script, I get this:
Spoiler:

Code:
#org 0xC0DB874
'-----------------------------------

When I set up Advancemap to use PVS, I clicked no when it gave me the prompt. Something to do with whether or not the offsets used ":" or " " or something or other. I assumed it meant the
-> @main <-> 0x740DB8 (0x22 bytes)
type thing, so I set it to no.
Hiya, I'm pretty sure you mean PKSV, not PVS xD
All the steps you did were correct, except sometimes you need to copy paste the script in the

#org 0xC0DB874
'-----------------------------------

and then compile it again, if you get what I mean. Usually that's what I do in cases like this. >.<
__________________
NEMO VIR EST QUI MUNDUM NON REDDAT MELIOREM.
  #20859    
Old March 28th, 2012 (05:34 PM).
Pppgggr's Avatar
Pppgggr
Cheese, for everyone!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I copied and pasted it into the script and compiled. The same thing occurs. Do i paste it under the

#org 0xC0DB874
'-----------------------------------
or do I erase that And type something new in? Even if I paste it under there, compile it, and then attempt to open the script again, the same occurs.
__________________
  #20860    
Old March 29th, 2012 (05:03 AM).
holynova
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Can someone explain how I can re point text manually using a XSE script editor in advance map, I was going to use A-text but after realising that you cant have longer dialogue I wanted to know how I can do this myself but haven't found any scripting tutorials showing how I can point the text to a new location. I read it can be done through hex editor to but I have not a clue where to begin, something about the game table file? dunno where to find that lol. Any help would be appreciated .
  #20861    
Old March 29th, 2012 (07:03 AM).
SkyStar's Avatar
SkyStar
is a Sith Lord
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In a different universe
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Is there a way to change the pokemon appearance chance on advance map to say, 10 10% pokemon
  #20862    
Old March 29th, 2012 (10:50 AM).
Spherical Ice's Avatar
Spherical Ice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Does anyone know the offset of the script that executes once you lose a battle and go to a Pokémon Centre? As in, where the healing animation takes place, Nurse Joy tells me they hope I excel etc. Not the text, the actual script itself.
__________________
  #20863    
Old March 29th, 2012 (10:53 AM).
Magic's Avatar
Magic
Guardian of the Great Rift
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Does anyone know the offset of the script that executes once you lose a battle and go to a Pokémon Centre? As in, where the healing animation takes place, Nurse Joy tells me they hope I excel etc. Not the text, the actual script itself.
Here colcolstyles gives both that offset, the home offset and some other bits and bobs.

Code:
0x1A654B : executed after battle fades, before "scurried home/to PC" text

0x16a2cb : viridian city 'sethealingplace' script (type 3)
0x1bc05c : 'special 0x182' script (type 5)

0x1A8DD8 : home script (mother heals your team)
0x1a8d97 : PokeCenter Script (Nurse Joy heals your team)
__________________
  #20864    
Old March 29th, 2012 (11:50 AM).
YouListeningROMs's Avatar
YouListeningROMs
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStar View Post
Is there a way to change the pokemon appearance chance on advance map to say, 10 10% pokemon
Unfortunately, I don't believe so. I assume you could go and find the values in a hex editor, but I think that would just edit the universal values.
  #20865    
Old March 29th, 2012 (06:47 PM).
PsychoToxin's Avatar
PsychoToxin
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
I have another simple question.

Do Steven's back sprites share the same palettes as his front sprite?

Also, will changing his name change his name in the double battle.
__________________

Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
  #20866    
Old March 29th, 2012 (07:52 PM). Edited March 29th, 2012 by DC85.
DC85's Avatar
DC85
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Gender:
So it's been a VERY long time since I've played with hacking roms and to be honest the GBA games are somewhat alien to me but I'm getting it it.

My question is this. I'm playing around with a hack of emerald and it's a island chain. I thought it would be fun to have the map change... Sometimes it's tide pools on land and other times you need to surf. Does anyone have an idea for how I can make this happen? could I use two maps in the same place?
  #20867    
Old March 29th, 2012 (08:16 PM).
south69_dallas
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
1. for fire red i cant find a good link for sappy, whack a hack didnt have a valid one and there wasnt one under tutorials,so where can i look to get files i need to change music for fr?

2. is the d/s easier or harder to hack vs gba?
  #20868    
Old March 29th, 2012 (08:32 PM).
Pppgggr's Avatar
Pppgggr
Cheese, for everyone!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Set the maps to the same Map bank and then connect them with those arrow keys at the top of the program.
__________________
  #20869    
Old March 30th, 2012 (01:19 AM).
sonic1's Avatar
sonic1
ASM is my life now...
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC85 View Post
So it's been a VERY long time since I've played with hacking roms and to be honest the GBA games are somewhat alien to me but I'm getting it it.

My question is this. I'm playing around with a hack of emerald and it's a island chain. I thought it would be fun to have the map change... Sometimes it's tide pools on land and other times you need to surf. Does anyone have an idea for how I can make this happen? could I use two maps in the same place?
There's a feature already of that in emerald!

To help, check this site: https://sites.google.com/site/hackro...chs/shoal-cave
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
over 350px high
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
  #20870    
Old March 30th, 2012 (08:37 AM).
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Hiya Pokecommunity! I've recently been playing with the idea of expanding my rom to 32MBs, in order to put in more towns and maps. But could someone help me by explaining the pros and cons of expansion, to help me decide?
__________________


Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...


  #20871    
Old March 30th, 2012 (10:33 AM).
jabberjabber8's Avatar
jabberjabber8
../\..
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
This might seem like a odd question but the thread I posted in originally seems neglected so, can anyone help me?

clicky
(last post)
__________________


Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
  #20872    
Old March 30th, 2012 (01:01 PM).
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Hiya Pokecommunity! I've recently been playing with the idea of expanding my rom to 32MBs, in order to put in more towns and maps. But could someone help me by explaining the pros and cons of expansion, to help me decide?
There is way more than enough room in original 3rd gen pokemon games for adding that kind of stuff. I'm playing myself with a rom file that has only ~15% of free space and even that's more than enough. In FR and Ruby, I think about half of the rom file is completely empty.

That doesn't actually qualify as something that would probably be a bad thing but then again, patch files are. IPS patches are made so that they can only be made to write data to an address that can be defined with 3-bytes so basically, from $000000 to $FFFFFF. I may not remember right but I think the offsets after the first 16MB are bigger $1000000.
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #20873    
Old March 30th, 2012 (01:06 PM).
PsychoToxin's Avatar
PsychoToxin
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Hiya Pokecommunity! I've recently been playing with the idea of expanding my rom to 32MBs, in order to put in more towns and maps. But could someone help me by explaining the pros and cons of expansion, to help me decide?
Pros- More room to store scripts, and any other data that would require you to use free space finder.

Cons- None really, Besides longer download times if you were to make a patch. Lol. It's completely safe.
__________________

Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
  #20874    
Old March 30th, 2012 (03:51 PM).
south69_dallas
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
i found a copy of sappy 1.6 on another forum site but when i run it i get this error.... Componet 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. So again where can i find a copy of sappy that works or how do i make this version work?
  #20875    
Old March 30th, 2012 (04:06 PM).
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by south69_dallas View Post
i found a copy of sappy 1.6 on another forum site but when i run it i get this error.... Componet 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. So again where can i find a copy of sappy that works or how do i make this version work?
You need to add comdlg32.ocx to your library of framework files. You can just add that file (which you can find a working copy easily online) to the same file that sappy is in.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.