The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Beefinator
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalii View Post

And, moreover, I think Digimon are ugly, the anime is barely passable.
Digimon? Ugly? Well you're a girl and I guess Digimon is more appealing for boys.

Digimon and Pokemon are both great in their own ways. Digimon is hands down so much better if you're comparing Anime but Pokemon is better if you're talking about games.

Digimon actually has a plot to destroy the bad guy and some character developement while Pokemon is just group of people going on an endless adventure and repeating that adventure after he gets 8 badges. Although the first few seasons of Pokemon weren't all that bad. They actually included humor and Ash actually caught Pokemon instead of being given the Pokemon.

Pokemon obviously has superior games. I don't even recall any Digimon games that were actually popular.

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Railgun
Ever Day Another New Adventure

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefinator View Post
Digimon? Ugly? Well you're a girl and I guess Digimon is more appealing for boys.

Digimon and Pokemon are both great in their own ways. Digimon is hands down so much better if you're comparing Anime but Pokemon is better if you're talking about games.

Digimon actually has a plot to destroy the bad guy and some character developement while Pokemon is just group of people going on an endless adventure and repeating that adventure after he gets 8 badges. Although the first few seasons of Pokemon weren't all that bad. They actually included humor and Ash actually caught Pokemon instead of being given the Pokemon.

Pokemon obviously has superior games. I don't even recall any Digimon games that were actually popular.

Who gives Ash pokemon? Unless you mean he doesn't battle them anymore and they just come to him. I do agree Digimon anime is better
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
femtrooper
Starfleet Commander

Nature: Quirky
I realize this is a Pokemon Community and I am OBSESSED with Pokemon, but Digimon is still great too. The one thing I like about the Digimon series is the lack of filler episodes. Pokemon is PURE filler sometimes which can be annoying, but Digimon is more story based. I love Pokemon, but sometimes I really love Digimon too...it's hard to decide... I do think I'm going to go with Pokemon though!!!

Currently playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 4: The Golden
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Pink Jigglypuff
-Insert text here-

Nature: Relaxed
I prefer pokemon I've watched it before ever watching Digimon and liked it better

Amanda

✿ Blah
✿ blah blah
✿ blah
✿ Blah
✿ blah blah
✿ blah
✿ Blah
✿ blah blah
✿ blah
✿ Paired with miakalina

Sig by miakalina
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Nightmare Goddess
Beginning Trainer

From what I have watched of Digimon, I did not care for it. To me, it was a bland, simplistic, and immature series with a mostly dull cast of characters.

Therefore, Pokemon wins by landslide. However, I only really like the Kanto and Orange Islands sagas. From Johto onwards, the show gradually degenerated into a humorless, uncreative mess. Now, it is the train wreck otherwise known as the Unova saga.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
AshPikastar
It's Question Time!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to AshPikastar
I never posted in this thread which I'm shocked.

I like both shows equally and I have my reasons for it. I like Digimon for the story plot and how each Digimon have multiple personalties even when they evolve. In each season, there is a new main character and new companions as well as a new story plot going into them. Most seasons seem to have a small connection to the older series of the Digimon. I also enjoy the video games of the show as well since they seem to change up each story in it.

I love Pokemon because it's Pokemon. The series of Pokemon has mainly one main character which is just Ash. As much as I love Pokemon, it would be great for them to switch it up. As much as I love the Digimon opening songs, I love how Pokemon seems to switch up their songs for each generation. They travel more then how Digimon travel but there was one thing that I liked more about Digimon then Pokemon, I liked how the Digimon can talk and not just keep repeating their names like in Pokemon. The Tamer can understand their Digimon more then how Trainers do.

Another reason why I love both Pokemon and Digimon is because I grew up with both of these shows. I love them to death and I still do.
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Shinigami_
Resident Death God

Digimon. basically because each seaosn there's a bit more of a story behind each one, not to mention you have a few cases of major character development - one example in Ken from series 02 (I know it's his dub name but I for the life of my can't remember the original japanese one) who was at first this bad guy calling himself the Digimon kaiser and wanting to control everything, however he got the crap beat out of him by one of the heroes and even saw the error of his ways, thus making a huge change from going from a major antagonist to that of atonement where Ken rights his wrongs by being on the good side throughout the rest of the story.

don't get me wrong; at first, Pokemon was also great, and I still love the games and whatnot..but as far as the anime version's concerned...I just lost interest over the course of time. it just got too repetitive. ash wins a battle; moves further to his goals. goes to a gym, gets his arse handed to him, learns from the defeat, goes and trains to become stronger, come back and beats the gym min a rematch, moves on, catches a pokemon, moves on to the next town, gym, eventually league before going home then setting out again to a new region, repeat, repeat.

There's character development too, but unfortunately it comes in the forms of the other characters leaving the show, then coming back in later arcs only to drop off the face of the series permanently save for team rocket..

so yeah. that's my two cents in which i think Digimon anime is better than the Pokemon Anime. Hope nobody takes offense; I just felt like being honest on the whole thing.

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
I go with Pokemon. I just love the concept of the world of Pokemons, as well as this LONG endless journey with a character dear to me...Ash. Besides...Pokemons appeal to me more than digimons ...Pokemon looks more varied and huge to me and thus I shall go for it.
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Chirm
Beginning Trainer

Never got into Digimon! From what I've heard, the anime had better story and characters than those of the Pokemon anime. Still, I can't help but think that Pokemon is a more innovative concept. I like the idea that these things are more like animals than anything else.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami_ View Post
Digimon. basically because each seaosn there's a bit more of a story behind each one, not to mention you have a few cases of major character development - one example in Ken from series 02 (I know it's his dub name but I for the life of my can't remember the original japanese one) who was at first this bad guy calling himself the Digimon kaiser and wanting to control everything, however he got the crap beat out of him by one of the heroes and even saw the error of his ways, thus making a huge change from going from a major antagonist to that of atonement where Ken rights his wrongs by being on the good side throughout the rest of the story.

don't get me wrong; at first, Pokemon was also great, and I still love the games and whatnot..but as far as the anime version's concerned...I just lost interest over the course of time. it just got too repetitive. ash wins a battle; moves further to his goals. goes to a gym, gets his arse handed to him, learns from the defeat, goes and trains to become stronger, come back and beats the gym min a rematch, moves on, catches a pokemon, moves on to the next town, gym, eventually league before going home then setting out again to a new region, repeat, repeat.

There's character development too, but unfortunately it comes in the forms of the other characters leaving the show, then coming back in later arcs only to drop off the face of the series permanently save for team rocket..

so yeah. that's my two cents in which i think Digimon anime is better than the Pokemon Anime. Hope nobody takes offense; I just felt like being honest on the whole thing.
This is why I don't watch Pokemon Black and White/ Pokemon BW Rival Destinies.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
BZW Golem
Conspirator~
Community Supporter Tier 5

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BZW Golem
As for me, It's like this when It comes to better/worse:

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime

Every digimon anime is watchable, I love the first 3 ones (Adventure, Adventure 02, Tamers), I like Frontier.. I didn't watch Savers but I did like the newest one Xros Wars :3
The first pokemon season was ok.. but at some point It became so boring and predictable that I couldn't watch anymore >.>

Digimon games < Pokemon games

I did play some digimon games.. but pokemon are MUCH better. I think there is no need to explain why on a pokemon forum XD

None at the moment, but Mac rules, just saying.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sirius
Wrong Thread.

Nature: Hardy
I also liked Digimon more but it didn't seem to last as long. I always liked both as a child but when Digimon kind of stopped coming on TV, I stopped watching it and just moved over to Pokemon.

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Although I love both Pokemon and Digimon, Pokemon wins for me. And I'm not just saying that cause this is a Pokemon forum. The franchise has alot more to offer plus I have harder time following the Digimon anime. Digimon games are not really good and I never could get into them as much as the Pokemon games. I grew up with Pokemon both anime and games. I only started watching Digimon when the series was no longer on the air and they had reruns on Jetix. I really like how the Digimon is much deeper though. I wish the Pokemon anime had more of that. It's sort of what made lose interest in the Pokemon anime. There's a lack of meaning in the story and mostly filler and battles.

But overall Pokemon is better.
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Big Mystery Fan

I prefer the digimon anime I stopped watching the Pokemon anime around the Hoenn arc but I still like the video games.

I like the digimon anime as it has more action. I liked all the seasons though naturally there were some parts I disliked.

The 7th season just ended with only 25 episodes making it the shortest digimon season.
I think it had too many monster of the week episodes but the last few episodes were the most exciting as it showed the return of several past season characters.

Old March 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Ameluun
Beginning Trainer

For the shows, I watched Digimon up to the point where the characters actually became digimon with spirits. As for Pokemon, I stoped watching once Jhoto came out... it just got so damn boring. And I hated how Ash raised his pokemon! Why in the WORLD are you going to raise all these pokemon and NEVER let them or even make them evolve? >.>
"Oh yeah, I have had this Bulbasaur and Squirtle through five thousand matches and countless gym battles and tournaments but I keep them in their base forms. Herp derp! :B" It just made me so freaking mad all the time... I love the Pokemon games though. ...Never played any of the Digimon games... they just did not appeal to me. :3
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hypermania
The Hyperactive Member

They're both great imo, but Pokemon is more appealing to me :3

I hate what Ash manages to do at the start of every new series though. He gets girls attention by shocking them/their bike. You can practically here him thinking, "Hey, Pikachu! Look, there's a cute girl over their! Quick, shock her/her bike!" *evil grin*
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Kano Shuuya
→ you're here, aren't you?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
It depends. I adore both of them.

Here's how it goes for me..

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime

Pokemon games > Digimon games

I have so much fun watching Digimon, but I can't get as into the games, and it's opposite Pokemon. I love the Pokemon games, but the anime was just.. better when I was younger. I don't hate it now, it's just generally boring in comparison to Digimon. D:

hi, i used to be "Drew"
alt account for Jude Mathis
paired to Antemortem
twitter | tumblr | instagram | steam
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
I prefer Pokemon over Digimon because of the battle styles. I also like the fact that Pokemon cannot talk over the fact that Digimon can, so... Pokemon all the way.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
I prefer Pokemon over Digimon. I never really got into Digimon like I did with Pokemon. I really like the Pokemon designs and the evolutionary chains they have made; and the battle styles the games and anime have. I wish the games had the same battle style as the anime where its voice sensored, your pokemon has the moves and you say the move you want the Pokemon to do and you can only dodge when it's not scratched out. I think that would be really cool and you would have more control over your Pokemon, not like the game has it where fastest Pokemon always goes first. That would still be the case but it would be more "limited" depending on the moves you do and your strategy. In Digimon you really don't do any of that stuff even in the anime. So I would have to say Pokemon.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:34 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
Ah. An interesting topic.

For me, I learned about pokémon long before digimon. The whole school played the TCG and some had the gameboy games. When digimon started popping up in my country, people thought they were imitating pokémon and so digimon never got the popularity it deserved over here. I didn't even watch the anime or touch anything digimon for many years... until some month ago actually!

I love pokémon in the sense that the concept of the games is thrilling and fun. That you can build your own customized team out of hundreds of monsters to choose from, and then battle and gain levels and... it's just so rewarding to play.

The anime sucks though. I've watched it, true, but I stopped when I grew older and even though I tried to watch the Best Wishes season, I grew tired after a while. It's clearly a young kids show without depth and no character development whatsoever.

Digimon... I've always thought their designs were cool but a bit redundant. Until I really watched the first and third seasons of the anime and took a closer look at them. The digimon anime is superb. Sure, especially the first season is a bit cliché, but the whole monsters and chosen thing... it's what people love. Gabumon, Palmon, there's just so many well designed digimon that look interesting and while I used to detest the mechanical parts that they designed the evolutions with (since I was used to pokémon, where such a thing would be unnatural) I now think it's awesome.

Never played a digimon game but might try it on an emulator, if there are any GC or GBA games. I have a hard time believing they will beat the pokémon games though.

So... as far as designs go, I think many digimon look better than many pokémon, though the opposite is sometimes true as well.

As for the anime, digimon is the clear winner, having the characters grow older and have real feelings and thoughts... compared to the plastic pokémon characters. Also, people get hurt in the digimon anime. WHOA, PEOPLE CAN GET HURT that would never happen in pokémon. Only in the manga.

Which is a completely different thing. If we would bring in Pokémon Special/Adventures into this, pokémon would win by a landslide. Had that been the anime, it would have matched the digimon anime. Sadly, that's not the reality.

Conclusion - I HAVE NO IDEA what I like best. But I guess I have to say pokémon... though the concept of digimon introduced in Tamers is really interesting... ugh. It's a draw. Though I don't really want to call it a draw either. Let's just say that I can't decide xD
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mystery Fan View Post
I prefer the digimon anime I stopped watching the Pokemon anime around the Hoenn arc but I still like the video games.

I like the digimon anime as it has more action. I liked all the seasons though naturally there were some parts I disliked.

The 7th season just ended with only 25 episodes making it the shortest digimon season.
I think it had too many monster of the week episodes but the last few episodes were the most exciting as it showed the return of several past season characters.

That "7th" Series, is still technically 6. It's official.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:37 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
I am more of a Pokemon guy. Used to like Digimon during the first few seasons [Agumon, Gabumon, Veemon, Armadillomon] anything later than that. Nah.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Turn-it
Coordinator/Elite Trainer

at first it was pokemon....then I got addicted to digimon for awhile but I just stopped watching it and I never played any of the games I'm thinking maybe that's what got me back into pokmeon.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
I tried to think of this more often but I find that both are just too different to be compared like that. It really depends what you are looking for and what you like because they are both great series imo. I grew up with Pokémon but I loved watching Digimon because it was more..thrilling? Digimon centers way more on action and monsters and twists, and Pokémon seems to be more on the characters and their adventure and seems more steady than Digimon.

The designs are also just completely different, even while the base concept might be the same, Pokémon tends to stick to the laws of nature while Digimon doesn't - Pokémon seem more organic and Digimon seem more mechanic (which I both like). And like I said before, Digimon is more thrilling/scary (considering it's for kids) which I personally loved as a kid, and Pokémon is quite mild but has a solid/steady plot because of that (I'm talking first season for both btw, maybe second for Pokémon too but I never watched the second season of Digimon though I plan to. And I don't like the seasons that come after that for either, so yeah.) Basically I love both and I can't really choose because they are both very different. Objectively I'd probably say that the Digimon anime is better overall, but Pokémon wins on the game part.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
I tried to think of this more often but I find that both are just too different to be compared like that. It really depends what you are looking for and what you like because they are both great series imo. I grew up with Pokémon but I loved watching Digimon because it was more..thrilling? Digimon centers way more on action and monsters and twists, and Pokémon seems to be more on the characters and their adventure and seems more steady than Digimon.

The designs are also just completely different, even while the base concept might be the same, Pokémon tends to stick to the laws of nature while Digimon doesn't - Pokémon seem more organic and Digimon seem more mechanic (which I both like). And like I said before, Digimon is more thrilling/scary (considering it's for kids) which I personally loved as a kid, and Pokémon is quite mild but has a solid/steady plot because of that (I'm talking first season for both btw, maybe second for Pokémon too but I never watched the second season of Digimon though I plan to. And I don't like the seasons that come after that for either, so yeah.) Basically I love both and I can't really choose because they are both very different. Objectively I'd probably say that the Digimon anime is better overall, but Pokémon wins on the game part.
Building off this:

One of the things that made Digimon anime much more interesting than Pokémon was - if they lost, they would either die, or things get a hell of a lot harder. In Pokémon they just dust themselves off and come back the next episode to try again. There are no repurcussions.

Overall I agree with the majority, Digmon anime > Pokémon anime, Pokémon games > Digimon games.

Sponsored Links