Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page Pokémon: Crossroads

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 21st, 2012 (06:08 PM).
Tonight!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Thanks for your interest in wanting to help out with the project ~Dia-kun~
At the moment i'm not really looking for help, but I may need help in the future.
When I get to the point in development when I need some music i'll be sure to let you know if i'm looking for some help in that department! :)
Old March 21st, 2012 (06:36 PM).
The black wind howls again...

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Dai-kun~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Dai-kun~
Btw I just noticed your characters have that "Adventure Time" style lol thats awesome
Old March 23rd, 2012 (04:07 PM).
Aspiring Trainer

Nature: Brave
This is looking swimmingly-swell, I daresay. I can only imagine the work you must be putting into this. I know I could never do such a thing. Kudos!
Old March 23rd, 2012 (06:51 PM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Oh, sweet Jesus, this game concept is simply AMAZING! The whole idea of this is just...god, why can't Nintendo think of something like this? D: I absolutely love this. The animations look great so far, too. And, as everyone else said, I adore the art style, because it reminds me of Adventure Time so much. :D

I wish you tons and tons of luck with this beautifully thought-up project, and I cannot wait to see more from this!

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old March 23rd, 2012 (07:07 PM). Edited March 23rd, 2012 by Cello.
Tonight!
Crystal Tier

Thank you for all of your positive feedback Dai-Kun, E-Cloud and Eeveon! :D

I feel a bit guilty showing this idea off so early in development. I feel I should have waited until after navigation was finished, but I really needed to get feedback on the features before pushing forward. Not a lot of my close friends are into my game development fascination, nor are they fans of pokemon, so I don't have very many places to turn for feedback. x]

Over the past two days I've been busy working on a final animation project for college as well as helping with a friend's game project (I don't think they want me to spoil it ;o) so I haven't made much progress.

Next week i'm going to be showing off another concept that I really need all of your input on as it's very different from standard pokemon game play, and I don't want to make any of the players dissapointed.
I'm also going to begin work on the Pallette Town maps, which at the moment I only have the players house and the two town maps (the main town and the shore) concepts done. I might show a snapshot of that, but I mainly want to wait until I have the player animations done before any real gameplay screenshots are done.

Cheers!
Old March 24th, 2012 (01:46 PM).
who are you
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
This looks like a fine game. I can't really say how it turns out and I'm not going to be so bold as to say that I'm sure you'll finish it, as that rarely happens. It seems like you've gone down the wise route and planned out your development of the game, and everything looks organized and proper. I have to say though, when I try to make games very organized, I'll set myself up for success by taking a long time to get everything just right to make production smooth, and just blow off the actual bulk of the development. I'm sure you won't do that, though. Good luck (:

p.s. Amazing art, as everyone else has so nicely mentioned.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old March 27th, 2012 (05:28 AM).

Dude this looks amazing :D - it's one of the most original ideas I ever saw. If you need a concept artist or GFX desinger PM me
Old March 27th, 2012 (12:31 PM).
EXTREME mapper

I love every single part of this game!
Old March 27th, 2012 (08:04 PM).
Bird Of Thunder

Send a message via AIM to moonlightning
Those development shots look nice, have you considered having a donate button so you can be more motivated to finish? :D
Old March 27th, 2012 (08:22 PM).
Tonight!
Crystal Tier

Thanks for the comments guys!

No, I couldn't possibly accept donations. Since this is just a fan based game it would be illegal for me to accept money in order to produce this game. I definitely don't want to be sued by Nintendo, nor do I want to be ordered a C&D letter. :P

I'm already pretty motivated to finish this project without the need for money though, so no need to worry.
It's a fun hobby project to do between school and other work, and something I would really like to see done. :D
Old March 29th, 2012 (11:45 PM).
Bird Of Thunder

(You can send me your bank details privately then. . .)

God, your avatar gave me a freight, I'm so used to seeing the dopey one.

Anyway, how faithful do you plan on being to original red/blue/green? Will you have the rivals and gym leaders with the exact Pokemon? That sort of thing? Or will you mix it up a bit?
Old March 30th, 2012 (06:20 PM).
You jealous, betch

Nature: Naive
oh mother of fudge...*drools*

Everything about this project just caught my attention right away, from the sexy artwork to the interesting engine you've thought up! I'm in love! I just can't express how much I love this project. I've always wondered what a platformed traditional pokemon game would look like and here you go and think it all for me.

I can't wait for the next updates!! *SUBSCRIBES!*

Co-Founder & Artist of

Old April 1st, 2012 (09:22 AM). Edited April 1st, 2012 by Cello.
Tonight!
Crystal Tier

Thanks for the comments you guys.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ

So I lied guys, i'm not entirely out of the concept phase. I've been spending a lot of time developing the battle system/pokemon stat system here lately and have finally come to a conclusion.
I would like all of your input if at all possible, because I really don't want to disappoint anybody on this move.

NEWS
*New concept added; Pokemon Rotating Stats system.
I've developed an entirely new system in hopes to abolish the level system and make this game feel more like the Pokemon anime in terms of raising and using Pokemon.
Check out the spoiler for more info:

Spoiler:

POKEMON STATS AND ATTRIBUTES:

Crossroads differs from regular Pokemon games in that the Pokemon don't level up in this game, rather they have "rotating stats." This system is used to give the trainer complete and total control over how their Pokemon as raised, as well as allows your Pokemon to be constantly used without having a limit (Or level cap), and enables lower form Pokemon to stand a chance against higher evolution Pokemon. Ever saw a Pokemon with high special attack who got a really good physical attack move and wondered "Why the heck does it learn that if it can't effectively use it?" Well, now you can build your Pokemon so it can use it! Rotating stats don't last forever, as they gradually reset to the Pokemon's base stats, but if you keep battling with that Pokemon you can maintain it's stats! Here are more details on the information Pokemon will have (view alongside of the concept above to get a better feeling of the idea):

Every Pokemon has a status tab, letting the trainer know about their mood, gender, nature, original trainer and other related information. Some of this wont be expanded upon until later, but that's basically all the information this tab will hold.

Attributes/Stats:
This is the section of your Pokemon's information that the Rotating Stats takes place in. Your Pokemon's Stats will be split into HP, Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense, and Speed onto a Radar Chart. Every Pokemon's stat can have a max of 25 points in each stat, or around 25 depending on what evolution stage it is, or what it's better at (such as better at attack than special attack).
Obviously a Magicarp is not going to be able to get the same amount of Defense as a Steelix, so their Max stat level in Defense will be significantly different for both.
A Pokemon will have a base value in each of these Stats relevant to what they're better at. You'll find that the more your Pokemon battles, it begins to gain points you can freely allocate into any one of these stats, allowing you to completely build your Pokemon your own way. You can even choose to max out all of it's stats if you use that Pokemon enough to get it there.
With all that being said, this is where the word "Rotating" comes in to "Rotating Stats." Your Pokemon's stats slowly revert back to their default value overtime, so any changes you make in the Attribute chart is not permanent.
This is meant to make sure your Pokemon is not held down by a level cap, so you can continue to train and use your Pokemon for as long as you'd like without feeling like there's nothing more to be done with them. It also helps to give first forms more of a fighting chance, and you the opportunity to raise a Pokemon your own way.

Example:
Spoiler:
You have just obtained an Eevee. It currently only has it's base (or default) stats in the Stat Chart, which reads:
60 out of 250 HP
6 out of 25 Attack
4 out of 20 Special Attack
5 out of 22 Defense
5 out of 22 Special Defense
7 out of 25 Speed

As you train, your Pokemon gets points it can put into these stats. You have the opportunity to use these points to get the maximum of any of these stats. So if Eevee has a max possibility of 25 points in Attack, you can keep pumping points into the stat until it reaches 25.

Over time, the stats revert back to their default value very slowly. So if you have the max 25 out of 25 in attack, it will constantly revert back to it's default value of 6 over time, unless you keep training and maintaining your stats.
Certain things slow this process down even more, such as Rare Candies, keeping a Pokemon in your Pokeball, or even putting them into the PC.

Skills/Moves:
In addition to the points your Pokemon gains for raising Stats, it also gains "PP" which can be used to unlock Moves on your Pokemon's move list.
Your Pokemon starts out with a list of all the moves it can learn, kinda like a skill tree, only you can save up these PP points to unlock any move on the list at any time. Once you've unlocked a move on the list, it's yours forever. Since your Pokemon can only have 4 moves equipped at a time, you have to go through the list and choose what moves to set to the 1, 2, 3, and 4 button for battle.

Not everything on the Skill list is a move, though. Some of the skills that can be unlocked are passive, such as raising the max value of one of your stats, or powering up a certain move.

Evolution:
Since Crossroads is lacking levels, it's kinda hard to anticipate when a Pokemon is going to evolve. You do have a chart that indicates when you're Pokemon is near evolving, represented by a silhouette of it's next form. If the silhouette is black, it's not near evolution. If the silhouette is a shade of Yellow, that means it's nearing evolution. If the silhouette is Green, that means it's ready to evolve at your discretion.
As usual, evolution depends on how happy your Pokemon is and how much battle experience it has.

If your Pokemon is ready to evolve, you have the complete freedom to do so or just keep using it in it's current form.

Palette Town says "Hi' by the way. It's looking very pretty. :D
Old April 2nd, 2012 (07:48 PM).
Bird Of Thunder

*Insert Mindless Praise*

Seriously, I love the idea of having rotating stats, only because being able to level grind would be lame.

I hope this isn't a joke, because it would be really nice if implemented.
Old April 3rd, 2012 (02:26 PM).
EXTREME mapper

I think this is what every Pokemon game needs.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links