The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Hm yeah, I tried fixing that by assigning the script that changes the player's sprite as a level script that occurs upon entering the map, but that simply caused the map to freeze, so the current method is a workaround. The code is a writebytetooffset command and I'm not 100% sure how to write to the VRAM. I agree it makes it look messy but I'm not sure how to fix it I'm afraid ;__;
Really like the puzzle!

For a short cut you could make the player spawn beneath a tile which covers the player? Just make an identical floor tile with the down tile copied in to the up tile section? :3

Then let the levelscript change the player sprite, then after use the setmaptile command to change it to a normal tile and reveal the cursor.
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:48 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
About VRAM I mean the area the game stores all the graphics of the game (sprite, tiles etc.). Basically, by modifying the bytes in VRAM you can make sprites, tiles and that kind of stuff look different before they're re-loaded again.

"I'm not 100% sure how to write to the VRAM. I agree it makes it look messy but I'm not sure how to fix it I'm afraid ;__; "

You actually need assembly to do this (because it's much less effortless than by doing with scripting only). You'd have to make the script call for a loop code. This is basically used to "copy --> paste" data from rom/ram area into another.
You can for example load the red square somewhere from the rom data and then copy its graphics to VRAM and replace player's sprite that way.

(And yeah, I forgot that the script I told about in my latest message calls for this kind of assembly code so it's not a pure script although I said it was...)

But as Swiftsign's suggestion sounds doable (and especially easier than mine unless you get someone to do the assembly script for you), go for it!

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
Really like the puzzle!

For a short cut you could make the player spawn beneath a tile which covers the player? Just make an identical floor tile with the down tile copied in to the up tile section? :3

Then let the levelscript change the player sprite, then after use the setmaptile command to change it to a normal tile and reveal the cursor.
Thanks, and that could work, I'll use that if there's not a more proper solution :3

edit: Yeah, miksy that does seem like a lot of work. I think I will go with Swift's suggestion. Thanks for the help though, both of you guys ;3
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
qaz015393
pokemon revenge developer

Great updates. The new vid is good as well as the pyramid. Good luck with the future updates

POKEMON REVENGE TEAM IS looking for members APPLY HERE so the hack can continue.

3Ds Fc= 0619-4312-9526 IgN is Near My trade shop is here
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz015393 View Post
Great updates. The new vid is good as well as the pyramid. Good luck with the future updates
Thanks again dude :D

Just posting to say that I've taken down that previous video and reuploaded a new video which shows the new area image (courtesy of cuddlesthefatcat - credit also goes to the epic DrFuji for helping me insert the image) and got rid of some of the bugs shown in the original video (such as the brief moment where you see the overworld sprite of the player change).

Enjoy!

To early people, it may not have finished processing yet. Come back later :3
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Magic

Quote:

Just posting to say that I've taken down that previous video and reuploaded a new video which shows the new area image (courtesy of cuddlesthefatcat - credit also goes to the epic DrFuji for helping me insert the image) and got rid of some of the bugs shown in the original video (such as the brief moment where you see the overworld sprite of the player change).

Enjoy!
Looks awesome Love how unique the minigames are in this hack!
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
qaz015393
pokemon revenge developer

Quote:

Enjoy!

To early people, it may not have finished processing yet. Come back later :3
Looks great. Fun mini game like none I've ever seen in pokemon. Very unique.

POKEMON REVENGE TEAM IS looking for members APPLY HERE so the hack can continue.

3Ds Fc= 0619-4312-9526 IgN is Near My trade shop is here
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Just posting to say that I am working on Cubone still and I'm not going to be posting any updates until the release. So yeah. :D
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Shaly
#IshallPlayNoMatterWhatYo uSay

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaly Send a message via Skype™ to Shaly
Keep it up! Can't wait! Really like the idea!
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:42 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
hm... looks great! :D

do u need some help with sprites or/and maps???
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Just posting to say that I am working on Cubone still and I'm not going to be posting any updates until the release. So yeah. :D
Good to know. That means you're on the final line, yes? Can't wait!
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Wesley FG

Wow, this story really drew me totally different
hacks of traditional gyms and stuff ever
I was surprised at their creativity.
really great job hope to see soon news
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
khyle123
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Bold
This sounds good so far I cant wait for a release!
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

This is one of the few hacks that, out of all of the adjectives I could think of, looks really fun!
You've got a really unique idea, and I'm really excited to play this. Keep up the great work! :D
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:21 AM
slim spazzy
Best Beta tester

Nature: Hasty
Finally its great to see a hack that is not into too much og gameplay and has a very long stroyline.I love the way the snorlax sleeps and the whole storyline sounds veru interesting i can wait for a download to come up soon

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:28 AM
blissfullydoomed

I can't wait to see the end result. I love the philosophy you have with making this hack.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:51 AM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Sorry blissfullydoomed, but please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

Spherical Ice, just contact gira or myself when you want this thread to be reopened - It really needs to be finished :P
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links