The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM
XFeralTSDX
Beginning Trainer

I started learning about rom hacking because of Mewthree! xD I kept hearing of this fanmade Mewthree so I randomly searched it up one day when I was bored on Youtube. "Pokemon Chaos Black Mewthree" I thought it looked so cool. Then the comments said "HACK!" "CHEATED!" And I was confused. I searched up something like "Pokemon Chaos Black Hack Mewthree" then there was one video that said how to make a Mewthree sprite that I watched. Then in the sidebar it said how to replace Pokemon in rom hacks and so I clicked that. That's how I was introduced to unLZ.GBA. In the sidebar was also this crazy stuff: Advance Map, A-tack, Advance Text...
And then I learned about a whack a hack or whatever that website is called, and I get all my tools for rom hacking from there.
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Pumpking
Beginning Trainer

Probably youtube but I don't remember

However I DO remember that I searched around about it and came here a whole lot, then after a while, I joined.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
TheAgentBrandon
Togepi

Nature: Timid
I discovered rom hacking because of Pokemon Ash Gray! :D
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:13 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Well I remember looking up "Pokemon Hacking" on Google for ****s and giggles. One thing lead to another, and after about four months I got signed up to PC. Then about two months later I made my first post and wonderful things have happened since then.

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:52 AM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Back in 03 or 04, I was really into looking for information about the release of FRLG. That's when I discovered emulators and roms. I played through the Japanese FR, and then a thought occurred to me - since the games are available on the computer, what if we could change things in them? That's when I started googling for awhile, and a few years later I found this website. I tried hacking GBA games, but back then I knew hardly anything, so I spent a few years researching and learning how to do small things. Now, I'm much better
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
rpg man
My new account is Critx

Nature: Naughty
for me it started by accident downloading advance map... now here I am:>

I made a new account was cuz i didn't like the name RPg Man
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

Oh gosh, it started in '07. When Pokémon Crater and its forums closed down, I had nothing to do on teh internetz Pokémon-wise, so I decided to do a little screwing around on YouTube. And whaddya know, I found a video of "Pokémon ShinyGold," did a little more research on the term ROM hacking and found a video by a gentleman named Foullump about how to download ShinyGold... which brought me here.

So everything is all thanks to Zel and Foullump, really. You guys have no idea how great you are.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
TempixTL
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed
For me, when I was about 7 I found out about ROM hacking, and I thought it would be sooooooo cool to make a town... I ended up trying to hack Pokemon Emerald, and gave up because I was, you know, 7. I picked it back up recently, and now I actually understand how to hack. :D
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:35 AM
CliveKoopa

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
I discovered ROM hacking through Lemmy's Land and Zophar's Domain and found Super Mario World hacks and later discovered Pokemon hacks.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Lord V-Man
Casual modder

Nature: Quiet
In my case it happened very similar to almost everybody else: Youtube. I'm a big fan of watching Let's Plays and I found an LP of an unorthodox game... the good old Pokemon Brown. When I saw those videos I was amazed about all the things you can do with those games, so I did some more research on rom-hacking, gathered some tools and started experimenting
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Through this website called pokecommunity, you've probably not heard of it.

Yeah, I came to PC because my "old forum", Pokémon Fan Universe, closed down, and I wanted to go to another Pokémon forum. So I just googled Pokémon forums and found this cool place. It had better skins then PE2K or Serebii and had some really cool pixel artists.

And then I found the ROM Hacking section. When I first saw it, I was terrified and amazed.
I used to only ROM Hack when no-one was in the house in case I got told off, and always deleted my internet history of being on PC. Yeah, I was scared of my parents catching me looking at Advance Map, not anything else haha.

Then around 2008-ish my brother noticed me and was like "that's pretty cool" and then I was fine with ROM Hacking in public...or whatever.

yep.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

I found out about it because a friend of mine bought (you heard me) a cartridge of shiny gold, and a cartridge of naranja. I had googled around for a while looking for them before I ran into WaH. I found this site because I had some stupid questions, and google sent me here.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:06 PM
NDogg45
Skrillexmon is best Pokemon

Damn, this was a long time ago when I discovered it. I was about 8 or 9 and was sleeping over with my friend and were watching Pokemon videos and funny videos on YouTube, I stumbled upon a hack video called "Pokemon Sex Adventure"(Hope I don't get in trouble for saying that) and he said "What if we could make our own Pokemon game?" I took up ROM hacking on my old computer last summer, but then that computer died on me, I was sad because I had so many fakemon sprites that I was going to enter. But then, I decided to start again about a couple days ago and started coming back here. So.. Yeah.. That was my story.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
WillowWolf
Beginning Trainer

I discovered hacking pokemon roms this week actually. I was searching 'Moe' because I'd seen something called moe and stumbled upon moemon and fell in love ^w^. I'm trying to find good sprites for Moemon to insert into my games, because I love moemon.
I plan to attempt my own hack soon, though I need to learn more than just pokemon sprite ripping. All in good time.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
farihazach
Beginning Trainer

I believe I discovered Pokemon hacking through Zorak's Quartz walkthrough. I already read through several other LP's on the site, and his caught my attention. Hacks have been a mainstay in my playlist since then.

For hacking in general, it was from somebody doing a playthrough on Brutal Mario. The same guy does a lot of Mario hacks to this day, and he got me interested into the thing.

Everything is coming up Milhouse, guys.

Old May 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Mallowigi
Beginning Trainer

About the domain itself, I know it from ages (circa 2002) but never approached it since the word "hacker" sounded like a thing for monsters (it still is), however for Pokemon hacking, it was a few months ago after stumbling on a hack called "Pokemon Genesis" while searching for a Golden Sun rom. And at my surprise, this hack was not only a traduction hack, so I did my little research and found this site and the plethora of hack tools that I never suspected their existence.

But hacking games is still ridiculously hard.
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Zilvereyes
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Zilvereyes
Found it by accident when looking for something else ... but it really fast took my attention ;-)

[Guides]:
Adding 0x0 - 0x57 Name Header to FireRed - Incomplete (Still working on it though [10-05-2012])
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Freako

The first Pokemon romhack I played was probably that world famous talking cactus one. I really can't remember how long ago that was.

...Mmmm MattyO's.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Trainer Jun
Team Rocket Veteran Trainer

I'm a veteran game designer. I've been making games in Yoyo's Game Maker since I was in highschool. One day, I ran across a youtube video of a "new pokemon game." I thought to myself, "I should work on a pokemon game. That should be easier than what I've been doing." Sure enough, after searching for sprites and codes, I found PC. Well, we all know what happened from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWolf View Post
I discovered hacking pokemon roms this week actually. I was searching 'Moe' because I'd seen something called moe and stumbled upon moemon and fell in love ^w^. I'm trying to find good sprites for Moemon to insert into my games, because I love moemon.
I plan to attempt my own hack soon, though I need to learn more than just pokemon sprite ripping. All in good time.
I ran through the tread once after posting originally, and WillowWolf, you just got me hooked! I'd love to help script a moemon hack one day.

Last edited by Trainer Jun; June 11th, 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:23 AM
AlphayOmega
Beginning Trainer

i want to create a pokemon game on internet so i searched and vuala here i am
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I discovered Whack a Hack a long time ago, back when the only completed one there (and in English xD) was Quartz. I downloaded it, played it, and enjoyed it.

I believe it typed something like "pokemon rom hacks" into google, and it led me to Pokemon Hackers Online and this site's hack showcase, and joined both.

Now, after playing all these awesome hacks made by so many talented people, I'm thinking of doing one of my own. xD
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Jeremy
Sweetie
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Well sweeties, my origins are different from others.

Back in the early 2000s, I was a young lad who wanted to just download games for his computer. I end up stumbling on video game console emulation through various sites such as Zophar's domain. I end up figuring out how to run and NES emulator known as RockNesX and played a pirated game known as Kart Fighter. As I got deeper into emulation, I then heard there were tools that allowed the user to add custom levels into Super Mario Bros 3, and so I started making these difficult level hacks. Soon, I did what any 12 year wanted to do, put themselves into a Pokémon game. And thus I had my own [unfinished] version known as Pokémon Ice. =p

Facebook Twitter

Old June 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Epitaph93
Intermediate Digidestined

Nature: Calm
I got my hands on an early version of Chaos Black a few years ago. Sometime last year I got into emulation and decided to search for some hacks. I was looking for a Digimon hack of Pokemon, but couldn't find one so I decided to make one myself. It's amazing how far I've come since then.
I'm Epitaph and I plan on releasing the first full-fledged Digimon hack of Pokemon Fire Red. We're getting close to the first release so come check it out in the Progressing hacks, and see how you can help us with the project.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM
lapzod
Beginning Trainer

I'm here for the hacks...while posting on reddit, I stumbled across some people talking about hacks, and that lead me here.

My mind was blown that there was such a thing, and it's awesome!
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

A couple of months ago one of my friends showed me a site with online emulators for several GB/GBC/GBA games, and I was instantly interested in them. After doing a bit of looking around on it, I found out that it also had several other Pokemon games that I'd never heard of available. I started playing them, found out that they were ROM hacks, and decided that I wanted to make my own. I found this site, and here I am.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links