The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Amekage
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Hey there!

You can call me Rainshade. I've been working on this game using RPG Maker XP for about three weeks. It's a Pokemon-styled adventure based on the Subspace Emissary plot from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, in which Samus infiltrates the Subspace Research Facility and rescues Pikachu. After putting in a lot of time and effort, it's finally complete. Please try it out and I hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download the compressed game data from mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6dzjp5szrw9pxtm
The file is about 24 mb.

2. Once the file has finished downloading, double-click on it to extract the data. This shouldn't take longer than a few seconds.

3. A new folder will be created. Open it and open "Game.ini" in notepad or another text editor. Change "RGSS104E" to "RGSS102E". Save the file.

4. Double-click the exe called "Game" (its icon looks like an orange gear) to play. If the game doesn't work, please let me know!

I have played through and tested the game about half a dozen times myself; however, it's still possible that the game is not yet bug-free. If you encounter any errors, please mention them here.

CONTROLS:

Space/Enter: to select choices, talk (A button)

X: cancel, exit interfaces (B button)

Use the arrow keys to move.

You can also press F8 to take screenshots. They are automatically saved as BMP format in your Saved Games folder.

PLOT:

Trophy land is being invaded by the forces of the Subspace Army. One particular Smasher, Samus Aran, has had her Varia Suit captured. In her Zero Suit, she must infiltrate the Research Facility on the Isle of the Ancients in order to retrieve it. What will she encounter in the facility's sinister halls?

FEATURES:

-play as Samus Aran, space warrior and main character from the Metroid series
-the Research Facility storyline from the adventure mode, the "Subspace Emissary", of Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-a newly redesigned party menu/screen, inspired by the SSBB logo
-after you rescue Pikachu, it will become your loyal partner for the rest of the game

GAME SCREENSHOTS:

This is what the overworld interface looks like. Isn't little Samus cute?

If you've played SSBB, you'll probably be familiar with R.O.B. They're everywhere in this game. Don't worry though, they should be super easy to handle.

The Pikachu generator. What will you do?

Pikachu was freed and the alarms have gone off. Clearly, several R.O.B. have taken notice.

The broken machine. From this point on, Pikachu will follow you everywhere you go.

The redesigned Pokemon party screen.

The summary screen. FYI, Samus has been scripted to always have a Serious nature.

Likewise, Pikachu always has a Hardy nature. Look! It's holding a light ball.

Pikachu vs R.O.B.

Yes, it's the computer room. This room is completely optional to visit and has no bearing on whether or not you can proceed in the game.

The copies of your Varia Suit which you must defeat.

After you win...

Donning the Varia Suit at last.

The bag screen.

Samus acquires Ice Beam.

The final part of the game - taking down Ridley, Samus's arch-nemesis.

An epic battle.

Once you've acquired a certain item, you will be able to access the recovery room, which has a bed for two inside. Using it will completely your party. This is also where you'll be sent in case all of your Pokemon faint.

CREDITS:

...goes to poccil and Flameguru for creation of the Pokemon Essentials starter kit, which this game is built on, and Maruno for its upkeep in recent years.

Pokemon, Metroid and the Super Smash Bros. series are property of Nintendo. No copyright infringement intended.

Last edited by Amekage; January 8th, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added further instructions
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I have to say, I'm kind of skeptic as to how you pulled this off within three weeks, but it does look like a short game. The fact that SSB characters are fighting in a pokemon style is kind of hilarious, sorry to say it, but I'll reserve any other commentary until I've played your game.
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I have to say, I'm kind of skeptic as to how you pulled this off within three weeks, but it does look like a short game. The fact that SSB characters are fighting in a pokemon style is kind of hilarious, sorry to say it, but I'll reserve any other commentary until I've played your game.
Yeah, from the looks of it, it's a small game.

It's refreshing to see a game get finished around here.
Sorta makes me want to make a side project that I could finish in a couple of weeks.
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:01 AM
littlebrother

Nature: Serious
Looks like RGSS102E.dll is supposed to be RGSS104E.dll
lol

Everyone knows that the internet is managed by millions of tiny gnomes and
goblins working in sweatshops in Africa and Eastern Europe. Do you really
want to encourage that by staying on here all day?

Why not stay up all night to get lucky instead?
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Muddy
Oshawott Luvr

Nature: Bold
Nice game there! Looks a bit short, but the game makes up for it. Love how you can fight as Samus in a Pokemon game LOL. Though, I think this game could be more interesting if you were to add parts that you created onto the game. Nice idea XD.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Amekage
Beginning Trainer

If you want to laugh, go ahead. I sort of guessed that I'd get this kind of reaction, and I'm not taking it personally. xD

Indeed it's a fairly short game, but hey, how much could I have really done in three weeks? Obviously, if I spent longer on it I would've been able to include more content, but I knew if I did that I'd start to lose interest and might not finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
Looks like RGSS102E.dll is supposed to be RGSS104E.dll
lol
You are completely right. I forgot to include that in the instructions; will do it now.
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
I found a bug.

>Pokémon

Right there on the pause menu.

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
littlebrother

Nature: Serious
Ugh, this game is tedious for being so short. lol

It's easy to get lost. There are simply too many doors and rooms that look alike! That makes it hard to find Pikachu, the special key pass, and the bed where you can recover since most of the closed door rooms are locked for you at the beginning of the game..

I also found myself dying a couple times because Samus kept missing with her jump kicks.. And when she runs out of PP for Jump Kick, it takes a bit longer to defeat the R.O.B. if you don't have Ice Beam already..

Also, Ridley can OHKO Samus with Flamethrower but has problems dealing with Pikachu somehow. I liked the end battle though because the music wasn't the generic R/S battle music.

Everyone knows that the internet is managed by millions of tiny gnomes and
goblins working in sweatshops in Africa and Eastern Europe. Do you really
want to encourage that by staying on here all day?

Why not stay up all night to get lucky instead?
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Amekage
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
Ugh, this game is tedious for being so short. lol

It's easy to get lost. There are simply too many doors and rooms that look alike! That makes it hard to find Pikachu, the special key pass, and the bed where you can recover since most of the closed door rooms are locked for you at the beginning of the game..

I also found myself dying a couple times because Samus kept missing with her jump kicks.. And when she runs out of PP for Jump Kick, it takes a bit longer to defeat the R.O.B. if you don't have Ice Beam already..

Also, Ridley can OHKO Samus with Flamethrower but has problems dealing with Pikachu somehow. I liked the end battle though because the music wasn't the generic R/S battle music.
I just came back from a sleepover where I showed the game to my friend. She had a similar amount of trouble getting through. xD Well, considering it's short I didn't want to make it too easy.

I know that you tend to die kind of often, which is why there are no penalties for losing (except for the inconvenience of being sent back to the room, which isn't too much of a consequence). As for the PP, yeah it might've been a good idea to include a few ethers in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
I found a bug.

>Pokémon

Right there on the pause menu.
I'm confused; what exactly is the bug?

Also, I know I didn't mess with the pause menu whatsoever, so it's probably just something that came with Essentials (and I'm reluctant to edit any of the scripts unless absolutely necessary).
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amekage View Post
I'm confused; what exactly is the bug?

Also, I know I didn't mess with the pause menu whatsoever, so it's probably just something that came with Essentials (and I'm reluctant to edit any of the scripts unless absolutely necessary).
Im not sure, but i think he's saying that it doesn't make sense; since samus isn't a pokemon?
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Amekage
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
Im not sure, but i think he's saying that it doesn't make sense; since samus isn't a pokemon?
Oh. Well if that's the case, I wouldn't quite call it a bug... perhaps an oddity.

I decided to leave it like that since it doesn't make a difference in terms of gameplay and such. Plus, Samus is more or less acting as a Pokemon in this game anyway.
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Hehe, I have no idea what Samus is from, but this is a strange game to play... Congrats on finishing it. xXx
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

I never imagined short mini-games in the Pokemon-RPG gaming style, considering we always see large projects around. Clever idea. :D
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
ChainedTeapot
Let's Player

Shorter than I was expecting but a nice little game, I loved the whole R.O.B sent out R.O.B thing. The final battle was difficult, I only beat it from getting a crit, if I didn't it was just me hoping it wouldn't flamethrower and felt too scared to use the max revive that I would just be KO'd again anyway. Was a fun little game to play though.

Youtube Channel
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
mewlover22
Pokemon Creator

Nature: Quiet
Love the idea nice to see things other than pokemon only games on here.

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Pokej
Beginning Trainer

Am I the only one who thought that Samus should have Rollout and/or Egg Bomb (to go with Samus's ball form) at some point? Oh and maybe Hyper Beam/Solarbeam (charge beam) just for the lulz :D

Great idea. makes for a quick and enjoyable game. Great job on it
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Aura Vitae
Down, Sword Hand!

Nature: Quiet
Cool fangame. It would be awesome if a series of fangames like this were made.

Pokemon X FC 3368-1319-2305
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Venks
Water Pokémon Master

Send a message via AIM to Venks Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venks Send a message via Yahoo to Venks
I really liked this part of Subspace Emissiary. I really like what you've done with it. Great work!

I make games and write gaming discussion articles. Check them out!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hypersonic
Unhatched Egg

Maybe you could create a sequel with ALL the smashers playable?
I think that'd be a good idea.

HyperSonic's PokePet

Eon Red the level 80 Latias!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

The rules say you shouldn't bump a thread that has been inactive for more than 2 months. 12>2.

Locked.

Sponsored Links