Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology > Webmasters Discussion Archive
Reload this Page Webmaster's Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Webmasters Discussion Archive

This board is archived.

Webmasters, present your site here. Get feedback on it, talk about graphics, layouts, web hosting, etc. Posting links to other forums/boards is not permitted.

Old March 24th, 2012 (03:11 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Archenoth:
Ouch... Even though I loathe developing for some browsers, I always dislike it when people sniff out a browser and then send broken code if they happen to detect it. Just code a conditional section that says that their browser is not supported so things may be broken, but still let them try.

Eg: Adding this to your HTML:

Code:
<!-- if IE><div>This browser is unsupported, so some things may be broken in it</div><![endif]-->
Just out of curiousity's sake, what other names can I substitute for <!-- if IE> so it will detect other browsers? Or is there a way I can find the other codes? I'd really like to put a warning on my page for Wii Opera users as the site is rather broken with that browser and to add that warning to the bottom of the page.
Old March 24th, 2012 (05:59 PM). Edited March 24th, 2012 by Twiggy.
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Just out of curiousity's sake, what other names can I substitute for <!-- if IE> so it will detect other browsers? Or is there a way I can find the other codes? I'd really like to put a warning on my page for Wii Opera users as the site is rather broken with that browser and to add that warning to the bottom of the page.
Actually, Archenoth's code is broken.

The actual syntax for conditional comments:
Code:
<!--[if IE]>put HTML here<![endif]-->
You can put lt, gt, lte and gte in front of IE to designate that you want it to apply to versions of IE lesser, greater, less than or equal or greater than or equal to the designated version.

Put a number after IE to make clear that you're targeting a specific version of IE.

This will not work starting from IE10 because it acts like every other browser - it ignores them.

Conditional comments do not exist before IE5, too.

It is possible to target only IE Mobile by using IEMobile.

Forget about detecting Mac IE 5.

This one shows more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_comment

This one is hack(-ish):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_filter

Oh, and yes, you can target every NON-IE browser with it, but there's no way to directly target a specfic non-IE browser. You'll have to resort to JavaScript. Targeting non-IE browsers using conditional comments will also mean that you need to have a different kind of syntax.
Old March 24th, 2012 (07:55 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by ♪Twiggy♪:

The actual syntax for conditional comments:
Code:
<!--[if IE]>put HTML here<![endif]-->
You can put lt, gt, lte and gte in front of IE to designate that you want it to apply to versions of IE lesser, greater, less than or equal or greater than or equal to the designated version.

Put a number after IE to make clear that you're targeting a specific version of IE.

This will not work starting from IE10 because it acts like every other browser - it ignores them.

Conditional comments do not exist before IE5, too.

It is possible to target only IE Mobile by using IEMobile.

Forget about detecting Mac IE 5.

This one shows more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_comment

This one is hack(-ish):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_filter

Oh, and yes, you can target every NON-IE browser with it, but there's no way to directly target a specfic non-IE browser. You'll have to resort to JavaScript. Targeting non-IE browsers using conditional comments will also mean that you need to have a different kind of syntax.
Hm. I'll have to stick to the Javascript detection method. I plan to add a warning at the bottom so if a user is using the Wii Opera browser, it will say at the bottom that the site has compatibility issues.
Old March 25th, 2012 (10:15 PM).
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by ♪Twiggy♪:
Oh dammit... You are right... And yes, for any other non-IE browser, you will have to resort to the Javascript Code I put in my previous post.

All of the methods you can use are described here.
Old March 26th, 2012 (06:36 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Oh, but if you are able to detect the features that you need (and have everything in your mind sorted all out), you might want to use a feature detection library, like Modernizr so that... you can make different stuff to appear or not appear or appear differently depending on the actual capabilities of the browser.
Old April 9th, 2012 (08:28 AM). Edited April 9th, 2012 by Team Fail.
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Okay, I hope someone here has a little vBulletin experience, but I've had someone request a feature to disable the ability to send a user friend requests. Would such a plugin exist or would I have to work magic with their profile? I've looked at the vbulletin.org forums to see if they have one, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
Old April 9th, 2012 (12:41 PM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tokyodrift
Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Okay, I hope someone here has a little vBulletin experience, but I've had someone request a feature to disable the ability to send a user friend requests. Would such a plugin exist or would I have to work magic with their profile? I've looked at the vbulletin.org forums to see if they have one, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
Sadly, there isn't a way for you to make that happen. The only option that is available is to turn off Friendship Request Emails.
Old April 9th, 2012 (05:27 PM). Edited April 9th, 2012 by Petie.
Silver Tier

You could, theoretically, use template conditionals to hide the link if the "u" variable in the URL matches the user in question's user id. You would want to put something similar to the following in the user profile template in the template editor (obviously, you'll need to look up the proper syntax for vBulletin's template conditionals as I haven't used them in quite a while):

Code:
<if intval($_GET["u"]) != 12345>
[Existing vBulletin Friendship Request Link Here]
</if>
Replace 12345 with that user's ID and it will show it for every user except the one specified. Also, if I remember correctly, you can use some PHP functions in template conditionals so if you needed to hide the link for multiple users, you could do something like this:

Code:
<if !in_array(intval($_GET["u"]), array(12345, 12346, etc.)>
</if>
Again, the user IDs you specify would cause the friendship request link to not appear on their profiles.

Do bear in mind that this would need to be done everywhere where that link appears and it won't completely disable the feature (you could do that by modifying the actual code that sends the request, using a similar format to the above, but I wouldn't recommend taking this route as you're editing system files at that point) - someone could send a request to them by modifying someone elses' URL. It's also worth noting that the functions and variables I used (specifically, $_GET) may or may not be available in template conditionals - I can't remember for sure. That said, for the most part, it should be pretty effective, it's just a decent bit of manual leg work for something pretty insignificant considering they can just turn off friendship request notifications (from the Edit Options section of the User CP).
Old April 9th, 2012 (06:25 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Petie:
You could, theoretically, use template conditionals to hide the link if the "u" variable in the URL matches the user in question's user id. You would want to put something similar to the following in the user profile template in the template editor (obviously, you'll need to look up the proper syntax for vBulletin's template conditionals as I haven't used them in quite a while):

Code:
<if intval($_GET["u"]) != 12345>
</if>
Replace 12345 with that user's ID and it will show it for every user except the one specified. Also, if I remember correctly, you can use some PHP functions in template conditionals so if you needed to hide the link for multiple users, you could do something like this:

Code:
<if !in_array(intval($_GET["u"]), array(12345, 12346, etc.)>
</if>
Again, the user IDs you specify would cause the friendship request link to not appear on their profiles.

Do bear in mind that this would need to be done everywhere where that link appears and it won't completely disable the feature (you could do that by modifying the actual code that sends the request, using a similar format to the above, but I wouldn't recommend taking this route as you're editing system files at that point) - someone could send a request to them by modifying someone elses' URL. It's also worth noting that the functions and variables I used (specifically, $_GET) may or may not be available in template conditionals - I can't remember for sure. That said, for the most part, it should be pretty effective, it's just a decent bit of manual leg work for something pretty insignificant considering they can just turn off friendship request notifications (from the Edit Options section of the User CP).
Ah. Looks like it'll be a bit of leg work that seems kinda impractical. I guess they'll have to put up with them then. Thanks for the assistance.
Old April 9th, 2012 (06:29 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Orrrr you could abstract it from their unique profile, make it into an option, and then post it somewhere so other people that need help doing that can use it :3;

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 10th, 2012 (06:21 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Toujours:
Orrrr you could abstract it from their unique profile, make it into an option, and then post it somewhere so other people that need help doing that can use it :3;
This would still require pretty much the same steps, replacing the user ID check with a check for a custom profile field instead. It might be worth the effort if it was a common request but it sounds more like it's a single member who wants it so it likely isn't worth investing that kind of time. Definitely a good thought though.
Old April 19th, 2012 (09:42 AM).
Banned

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CloudNine Send a message via Skype™ to CloudNine
Anyone here specialize in Joomla and IPB?
Old April 29th, 2012 (02:15 AM).
Wait for me outside the lines
Gold Tier

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aRedMoon Send a message via Skype™ to aRedMoon
So, those that use Wordpress: is it just me or have there been an insane amount of plug-in updates the past 2 weeks or so? Almost everyday, I have an update to do. x_X

june 10, 2003 = registered at old pc
march 24, 2004 = registered at new pc
june, 2004 = modded ;;; august, 2004 = quit/fired (point of debate)
december, 2004 = banned ;;; december 2, 2005 = unbanned
june 10, 2008 = omg... five years!
june 10, 2012 = countdown to nine years on pc...
Old April 29th, 2012 (02:52 AM).
My Secrecy. My Advantage.
Platinum Tier

I haven't really noticed .-.
I didn't touch my Wordpress for a good few weeks and the only updates I got were the actual wordpress one and a few plugin updates saying they were becoming compatible with the new version of Wordpress.
What plugins have you been using?

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old April 29th, 2012 (04:57 AM).
Gold Tier

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aRedMoon Send a message via Skype™ to aRedMoon
A bundle of 'em. Maybe it's just me.

You're really into typography, eh? *pokes your sig*

Old April 29th, 2012 (05:30 AM).
Platinum Tier

Maybe you're just unlucky. Or lucky, I don't know it depends on what sort of update it was xD

And yea, I am :3 I love how you can make words into something visually pleasing.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old April 29th, 2012 (05:56 AM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Yeah. Softaculous has only notified me once of a WP update. Which I still need to do.
Old April 29th, 2012 (09:38 AM).
Platinum Tier

I got all my updates and such from inside the wordpress admin control panel.

-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old April 29th, 2012 (10:03 AM).
ModeratorCSEO

I finally updated my Wordpress blog to 3.3.2 last night...

Anyways, speaking of wordpress, has anyone found a plugin for mobile users that allows the user to categorize a new blog post? I have the WP Mobile pack installed, but every time I blog on my iPod touch, the categorization will go to my first category and I don't have a choice to change it.
Old May 1st, 2012 (05:16 AM).
Gold Tier

I haven't touched Wordpress on mobile ever since I tried to update it and it ended up posting a completely blank post after I had written a lengthy one...

Old May 1st, 2012 (07:22 AM).
Platinum Tier

Can't you just go through the admin control panel on your phone?

-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old May 1st, 2012 (11:52 AM).
ModeratorCSEO

You can go through the admin panel, however, as picky of a user I am, I get tired of going on every page in the Safari browser and using my fingers to zoom in, and it's also to save load time.
Old May 2nd, 2012 (02:19 AM).
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
You can go through the admin panel, however, as picky of a user I am, I get tired of going on every page in the Safari browser and using my fingers to zoom in, and it's also to save load time.
Oh, we'll have you tried out this app? It seems to look pretty decent compared to some other mobile plugins. I might try it out myself actually.

-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old May 18th, 2012 (05:00 AM).
Fursuiter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Okay, well, here's my site:

The header graphic rotates upon reload (currently there are two headers)

I use a lytebox to display additional content:

Your thoughts?

1693-4093-6753

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old May 18th, 2012 (09:36 AM).
Platinum Tier

That's actually a pretty nice site. It's not really the style I like but that's just me personally. It suits the content and nothing really seems to be firing alarm bells when I look at it.
The only thing I'd really say about it is maybe make that lytebox thing a bit bigger so there isn't a huge amount of space along the bottom. It seems like a waste of space considering that the amount of text is making a scrollbar appear.
Also the space that is either side of the page is making the website as a whole look a bit bland. I'm not saying to spam it with images or to expand the content section, but maybe you could add in a pattern of an image to it? A dull image obviously, something like a monotone image of a forest or stars to match the header.

Also, this is kind of a small thing and more graphics than web design even though it's pretty much the same thing but w/e but this is really bugging me.

Text should really align with other blocks of text ): It just makes it look a bit more tidy and organised and overall more professional. There's also the alignment on the left side but the top alignment was more of an issue.

-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links