The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:26 AM
KingDrapion
dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I don't know if this has been speculated yet, but does anyone think that Game Freak will update the sprite animations for the Unova Pokemon (or even all the older generation pokemon) for B2 and W2? Looking at the scans, the sprites have not changed. I actually hope they do, even though it may seem pointless to a lot of people, but some sprite animations I did not like. E.g Flygon's where it did that weird dance or Ho oh where it looks like it's struggling to fly. Well, what do you guys think? They most likely won't change it, but for every new game they have.

EDIT:
The Unova Pokemon have new sprite animations.
Have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mZK...eature=related

Last edited by KingDrapion; April 14th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.

'Hoy, small fry!
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Forever
let it go

^ sadly. :( Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Magnificence
That's me in the corner

I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites

|
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Comerion
DGXZ

Yeah they should update some of the sprites, especially the back sprites, they were pixelated and well, bad.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM
KingDrapion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.
Yeah true, but hopefully they will be able to atleast improve their pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
^ sadly. Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!
Colour changing could happen, but I guess waiting for gen 6 is where its at for improved sprites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnificence View Post
I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites
Well, backsprites atleast would be good. Like you, i'm also hoping gym leaders get animated. Don't know why they didn't do it in the 1st Black and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comerion View Post
Yeah they should update some of the sprites, especially the back sprites, they were pixelated and well, bad.
Finally someone who agrees with me

Last edited by KingDrapion; April 13th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:17 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I am not too confident of it happening. As the style is the same from assumptions from the coro coro scans (animated sprites - don't see them removing the animations after all) I doubt they'll revamp them. Still, it's possible and I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements on a few of them as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see human sprites to be redone though, as that's not too much for them to do in comparison to changing a significant portion of 649 Pokemon species.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
It is possible that we will have updated sprites but fully animated sprites... done 649 times... That doesn't even cover the forms... Well, for me, I'm 50/50 on this one..

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Backsprites almost never change in every generation. We'd be lucky if they decide to update the current set of 150 Pokémon for the main sprites.

Come Gen 6, they probably won't even use sprites.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
wombateiro
Trainer

They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Come Gen 6, they probably won't even use sprites.
Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
Doubt they'd wanna change it. If the sprites were stationary, then I could see it happening. They did it for Platinum anyway. But since they're actually animated this time around, then it probably won't happen. Besides, we're getting enough changes between BW and these games to really complain about something as meaningless as sprite updates.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
They're fine as they are and besides that would be way too time consuming for the space they have to fully develop and release these pair of games.

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM
shinysweety
In it to win it! :D

There will be new gym leader sprites, hero sprites, and rival sprites. But I don't think they will make new Pokemon sprites.

Click 'n' Hover~
Wonderful Pair~

Blog~

PC Family~

My Profile~

Theme~
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
G_Sylar

I just want the pixelation gone.
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:40 PM
KingDrapion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombateiro View Post
They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.
This would be a good idea, game freak could atleast do this.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.
Hah, lazy!

We're less than two months away from the games, so I doubt they're going to put any more sprites in or change sprites too drastically. I would think we'll see some new sprites for the formes (of course).

It's not like the returning Pokémon had much chance of having their sprites redone either, as the scans show.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
I don't really mind if the sprites and animations change or not, they're pretty fine to me. Plus if these games are to be epic as we make it sound, I'd rather GameFreak focus on the parts of the game we'll really study. Otherwise, the sprites are good as new. d("d)

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sylar View Post
I just want the pixelation gone.
Me too :( But I do doubt it'll be gone by the actual screenshots we saw of Serperior etc. :x
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
KingDrapion

Well looking at this video: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/b2w2/
We can say that they have not changed any sprite animations, but they have revamped the battle field bases.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
They have however given some trainer sprite animations.

EDIT: Some people are claiming that Serperior actually got a different (back) animation...

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific

Last edited by bobandbill; April 13th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Volcoronawing649
New Recruit

Nature: Rash
I don't care if they change the sprites or not, I just want them to POLISH the sprites. Because lets face it, the back sprites are very pixelated

Volcarona FTW! Oh, and Larvesta, hes cool too.......

Last edited by Volcoronawing649; April 13th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naive
I honestly don't mind if they use the same sprites because I play Pokemon Blue all the time so I am constantly reminded of impressive the current sprites are for the current Pokemon game considering they have to animate every single Pokemon including alternate forms along with back sprites. Also we now get full back sprites not just what appears to be the back of a Pokemon's head. I mean you have to face it, the DS chip is not the most impressive technology nor does it have an enormous amount of memory so adding more pixels to all the back sprites and extra frames of animation to the all the Pokemon would just not be reasonable to demand.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Volcoronawing649
New Recruit

Nature: Rash
(replying back to what Wombateiro said)

Ya, that would be a good idea. It would be nice if Gamefreak would listen to the people's ideas for once. Think of all the sweet fan-made Pokemon we artistic fans have created for goodness sakes!!!

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, hes cool too....
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Well by the looks of the trailer, seems like sprites are still pixelated and basically the same! If Serperior's backsprite really is different, I'm guessing they may have changed up the animation/battle design for Unova Pokémon? Too early to tell I guess, I'd like to see more battle scenes.

Love the addition of trainer animation though. :D

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here