The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I don't think it's actually frozen, too. I think it's actually just part of the map image intended to obscure parts of the map. Perhaps for post-game?
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
A frozen region would be total boss mode. I like the idea that someone suggested that the new main character's hometown is in danger of freezing and you leave to figure out a way to stop it. OOH, and the "evil team" is there to pretend like it's trying to do the same thing, when in reality they're the cause of it! I'm thinking you beat Kyurem and then the ice melts. Especially since the Pokemon League looks frozen over, too.

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
iTeruri
iAm

Nature: Relaxed
The ice is just to cover up. It doesn't fit with the rest of the map. It doesn't follow the land. It's just there, as a layer over the map. If the ice was actually there in-game, they would've drawn the ice on the map.
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kelegend View Post
It looks too see-through to be frozen over IMO. I don't know, maybe some parts will be frozen but definitely not all of that. You can really see through almost all of it except the very thick parts at the top.
I mentioned this before, maybe the ice is simply a barrier over the land created by Kyurem, creating it's territorial boundary around the region. Also glaciers in cartoons and game are sometimes way more transparent than it is in reality.
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
P0kelegend

Someone on another forum brought up a good point. Look at the map, and notice that there are clouds UNDER the ice? You can even see clouds poking out from some of the ice at the spots where the ice ends. It's clearly NOT on the land, as the clouds would be above the ice if this was so.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Here's a high quality picture of the new map, from pokejungle.
Spoiler:

I do wonder if the new areas have always been there or if they were recently constructed. The former is more probable.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Notice if you look on the west side of the map. There is ice outside that game map. Therefore not part of the region.

If you look at Undella Town, The water is not frozen under the ice. They are hideing stuff most likely. I am hopeing for a Safarii Zone

There is also something new in the northern part of the western map. I am not sure what it is. It also looks like the Pokeleague structure in the northern east has changed some.

Last edited by Iceman3317; April 14th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Someone on another forum brought up a good point. Look at the map, and notice that there are clouds UNDER the ice? You can even see clouds poking out from some of the ice at the spots where the ice ends. It's clearly NOT on the land, as the clouds would be above the ice if this was so.
Hmmm, damnit. So no frozen Unova? Perhaps those areas are like danger zones, and you need permission to go there or something, which is why the ice is covering the map showing that they're the places likely to be attacked by Kyurem and the places you should avoid until you're skilled enough? :x Most likely reason for the ice to be hiding the region on three official maps imo.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerang1 View Post
Here's a high quality picture of the new map, from pokejungle.
Spoiler:

I do wonder if the new areas have always been there or if they were recently constructed. The former is more probable.
Well remember. Driftvelm or what ever had a tunnel we could not get to in BW. My guess the new areas is what the were building.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM
pokemonpokemonpokemon59
The official Machoke

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonpokemonpokemon59
If you look at the map for B2/W2 you see that sky arrow bridge(Idc what its called) is half frozen over! Maybe this is the reason why you start in a new town. Maybe as a twist you find Kyurem there? Maybe The B/W Player bought Kyurem to their hometown to show Juniper and it turned into disaster?

Oh the Possibilities.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Cello
Tonight!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Look at the map, and notice that there are clouds UNDER the ice? You can even see clouds poking out from some of the ice at the spots where the ice ends. It's clearly NOT on the land, as the clouds would be above the ice if this was so.
Good point, and i'm glad somebody brought that up.
Personally i'm pretty happy that half of Unova isn't frozen and the ice is just hiding further changes/placed to fit a theme like a couple of people have said.

Perhaps there will be a temporary story event with B/W Kyurem involving the land being frozen/snowed out further in the story much like with Groudon/Kyogre in R/S/E.
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Aw, I was really hoping it would be frozen in some parts.
But now that I look at it, everyone is right, I think they just put that there to hide most of the map.
I really do hope it's frozen, though. ;;

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Perhaps there will be a temporary story event with B/W Kyurem involving the land being frozen/snowed out further in the story much like with Groudon/Kyogre in R/S/E.
I could see this happening! Or perhaps parts of the region will have ice blocking out areas we shouldn't be able to get to until certain points in the game. Unless it's a little like Platinum, and patches around towns/cities/routes are frozen.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Cello
Tonight!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaori View Post

Or perhaps parts of the region will have ice blocking out areas we shouldn't be able to get to until certain points in the game.
I could see that happening. It's not the first time it's happened in a Pokemon game. :P
I'm not too big a fan of hard locks in games, though. I wish for once GameFreak would let us sequence break so we could do things in a different order.
Wow, I just went way off track.

But yeah, didn't the Kyurem event in B/W have something to do with illusions?
Maybe he makes the world appear as if it's frozen at some point?
I'm not too clear on how that all happened in B/W though, as I put down the DS shortly after beating the game for some reason and never did the Kyurem event myself. ._.
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
In my opinion, the ice is just there to cover up part of the map that they don't want to reveal yet. First of all, the ice looks very unprofessionally placed. Just thrown over top of it in Photoshop. The edges of the ice just seem to end in random places, like the middle of Skyarrow Bridge (which would probably be collapsed if it was really frozen), and at the edge of the desert (which a very small portion of the ice overlaps on). Also, note how the ice is very translucent. You can see water, grass, sand, and even a few buildings underneath it, including Dragonspiral Tower, and if you look closely, you can kind of see Professor Juniper's lab. All this suggests to me that, rather than Unova being frozen over, the ice is doing no more than just concealing new features of Unova that have yet to be revealed.
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Community Supporter

What could be under the ice that they'll have to hide it though...I'm excited to see what new things they may have added, maybe there's a new Battle frontier where the ice is placed over .
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
If there's anything GF is trying to hide under the ice, it's probably just the fact that there will be new/different locations. I don't know if it would really be based on importance. Hopefully though!

But however way, I wouldn't mind it just being a cover up or something to do within the game. The second option is a whole lot more interesting though.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Community Supporter

It makes sense that the areas that are frozen over feature post game stuff, if I remember right they did so with HgSs' Kanto side. Maybe the hidden area has sites for legendary Pokemon such as the Sinnoh dragon trio like how Johto had the Tower for the Hoenn trio. If so than I expect it to be around Undella as that's near the Abysmal ruins which contain Arceus' plates.
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:37 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Take a look at the northwest corner of the map. When you look at it there, it's rather clear the the clouds actually go under the ice. If that's how it's gonna be frozen for the game itself, why would the clouds go under the ice? That seals my theory that there are just new areas that have yet to be revealed that are being hidden by the ice for the time being. In time, the entire map without the ice should hopefully be revealed. What I'm really curious about is what's under the ice northeast of Village Bridge. Take a look there.
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
porkcrapper
Beginning Trainer

probably just going to be a "oh no the world is going to freeze over if you don't stop team plasmatica or whatever they're called."
hopefully it makes more sense than the BW story...
but the ice over the map on the screenshot doesn't look like it is actually part of the world somehow. if you look along the edges of the icy bits... :/
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Community Supporter

I wish we had a clearer version of the map it's too blurry to see much, especially with the glare...

I sure hope they added something there, east Unova seemed empty to me in BW...
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I wish we had a clearer version of the map it's too blurry to see much, especially with the glare...

I sure hope they added something there, east Unova seemed empty to me in BW...
Spoiler:

You're welcome. I am betting they added a bunch more though.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 15th, 2012, 01:06 PM
EmbC

I think Keldeo is going to help us breaking the ice and that Cryogonals and Kyurem froze that part of Unova. I guess we should look to the movie and understand the clues... if you know what I mean
Mangueiras

Ma trade thread : Two steps to madness
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Squeaker Ed
Beginning Trainer

I'd bet that the ice is just covering that part of the map. Unova becoming half frozen in the time of two years (right?) seems entirely illogical, even in Pokemon logic.

I guess the question is that what is the ice covering. Maybe those areas of BW Unova have advanced/expanded since two years previous?
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post

Spoiler:

You're welcome. I am betting they added a bunch more though.
Thanks
I do wonder why the Extralink is dry...(will we need to do missions to make the water rise?)
It does seem like there is something hidden under the clouds, specially in the northeast corner...

Sponsored Links