The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
Unova Pokemon look like they all came from Unova. It gives the location an identity and it makes the pokemon feel more real knowing they are 'native' to one place more than another.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
MoreThanLuck
Beginning Trainer

There's no way to tell what a pokemon is supposed to look like.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
DARKSHADE
Waiting.. In the Shadows..

Nature: Adamant
I have to say this thread has really helped me get a little fonder of the Unova and Sinnoh Pokemon, I've played all the games to date, since I was about 3.
And I figured I'd post here, because I just stumbled across this picture;

I still have a lot of opposition toward some of the new Pokemon, but I think it's something worth thinking about.

And I play the hell out of Pokemon regardless, just thought I'd point that out.
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Alec Empire
Are you ready to testify?

Nature: Rash
How exactly is a pokemon supposed to look?
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Darkshade. LOVE that picture! I'm keeping it!
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Raichupacabra
Villain

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone including Raichupacabra
There is no source that dictates what a Pokemon is supposed to look like.
I agree with this in every way.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X | 3DS Friend Code: 4313-1107-3365
(PM me with your Friend Code and tell me if you have added me)
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Kirbychu
Scyther

Nature: Naughty
"Don't even look like Pokemon"?

What does that even mean?

And yeah, blahblahblah How is a pokemon supposed to look blahblahblah.

Paired to cr4y

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:21 AM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
Take off your nostalgia goggles and you'll see they look like Pokemon.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM
DARKSHADE
Waiting.. In the Shadows..

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
Darkshade. LOVE that picture! I'm keeping it!
Glad you do

Pokemon are Pokemon, from different regions and different places~
Whilst some may be similar, or extremely different, they're all the same
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Teehee... I don't think there's supposed to be something that a Pokémon should look like. There shouldn't be any standard to look out for when it comes to things like this - you know, creativity and expanding on things, huh? That said, I think they all look like Pokémon.
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:48 AM
damion
Dragon Trainer

Nature: Timid
i like that they are looking less like animals and coming to their true name pocket monsters just as it was mentioned here. In japan there are stories about creatures and what not, i mean come on it is just a video game and since when did video games because close to reality (same issue i have with tv and reality shows)

im happy with the image of pokemon and i love your pic darkshade good work

http://trailsofryuken.blogspot.com/
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:56 PM
LuckyLucario2000

Nature: Calm
I think what you mean is they don't feel like Pokemon. To me alot of Gen 5's Pokemon feel like generic creatures that didn't have much thought put into them. Trubbish is my main example. If I met the guy whose brilliant idea one day was "OMG lets make a trash bag Pokemon!" I would probably beat the hell out of him.
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The Unova Pokemon are still Pokemon, looks and all.

I don't even see any reason why they don't even look like Pokemon.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
pryce10

I repeat pokemon are anything GF says they are! Since when there were anyrule that defines what pokemon are?

Mamoswine FTW
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
HyperVortex
Youtube Battler

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Kevin View Post
So, what exactly are Pokemon supposed to look like?
Pokemon used to look like real animals, not counting some. But the majority.
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Moonmover
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperVortex View Post
Pokemon used to look like real animals, not counting some. But the majority.
Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down
-Grimer, a pile of snot
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger
-Magnemite, a magnet
-Magneton, three Magnemites stuck together
-Eggsecutor (sp?), a bunch of angry eggs which evolve into a coconut tree (????????!!!??)
-Mr. Mime, a.........mime.
-Jynx, a woman in blackface
-Porygon, an untextured 3D computer model
-Koffing and its evovled form, Weezing, both of which are purple wads of yuk that spew poison gas

Generation II gave us the Unown, a whole legion of Pokémon based on the letters of the alphabet.

Pokémon have always looked that weird piles of random madness. That goofiness is part of what makes the franchise so endearing to me.
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmover View Post
Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down
-Grimer, a pile of snot
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger
-Magnemite, a magnet
-Eggsecutor (sp?), a bunch of angry eggs which evolve into a coconut tree (????????!!!??)
-Koffing and its evovled form, Weezing, both of which are purple wads of yuk that spew poison gas

Generation II gave us the Unown, a whole legion of Pokémon based on the letters of the alphabet.

Pokémon have always looked that weird piles of random madness. That goofiness is part of what makes the franchise so endearing to me.
*highfive*

I agree with this
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM
SlaveNumber23
Beginning Trainer

Nothing really doesn't look like Pokemon but I dislike Kling's evolutionary line.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Zenfyre

Nature: Lax
Pokemon are so diverse, we can't really say what "looks like a Pokemon". They can be anything--we've had animal based Pokemon, mythical based Pokemon, humanoid Pokemon, and even object based Pokemon since the beginning. A Pokemon's a Pokemon no matter how simple, complex, realistic or abstract their designs may be.
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Shadowed Team
Kanto/Johto Pokémon Master

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shadowed Team Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowed Team
I have to say, Pokemon Black and White's Pokemon have disappointed me abit. They don't look as good as the previous. Pokemon like Configurous, Yanmask and Klink really aren't that great. Sure, there are some good ones like Unfezant, Haxorus, Zebstrika and the legendaries, but a lot of them are just plain ugly. For most players, looks come first rather than strength.
"I’ve been waiting for you. I knew that you, with your skills, would eventually reach me here. There’s no need for words now. We will battle to determine who is the stronger of the two of us. As the most powerful Trainer and as the Pokémon League Champion… I, Shadowed Team the dragon master, accept your challenge!"
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
MagikarpFTW
Pokemon Master

Nature: Lax
I agree that Pokemon don't have to look a certain way but some of them look like creatures from other franchises such as the Vanillite line that look's like something from Moshi Monster if any of you have heard of that.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
We have SO much Pokémon. There's always going to be low points in creating designs, but at the same time we get used to them eventually. & For me, I'm always looking to try out different Pokémon and there are so many options. The Unova Pokémon make it all the more interesting for me to make choices. Do I want to train a snow cone line or some trash???

But in all seriousness, there's a lot of variety in Pokémon. Unova's just happens to be more related to the region it is located in (there's a lot of trash in NYC). Nevertheless, they were created in a Pokémon game so they are Pokémon.

@MagikarpFTW - Humans also look alike, but does that make them any less unique? u_u

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Archiebald
Beginning Trainer

When I first saw Klink and its evolutions I was like what the hell are they thinking, but theres more anyway.
Pokemon should resemble natural entities and not gears, screwdrivers, washing machines (and the list goes on).
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Quixote
Pokemon Researcher

Here's my main gripe with the new generation. The older generation of Pokemon feel like they blended into the "Pokemon World" while the newer ones do not.

Whether it's because of how complicated they look, or because of how the Pokedex goes, they all just strike me as odd. All of the older Pokemon at least fit into some kind of ecosystem while the newer Pokemon feel a lot more, "forced".

Me being older might be something that is affecting me, but there is no denying that the way some of the new Pokemon are projected is a bit odd. If I had seen someone summon a Siglyph or a Digimon Trubbish/Garbodor, I would not have batted an eye.

This is what I mean about the ecosystem thing. A lot of the older Pokemon fit into the ecosystem. People complaining about Muk? At least it explains in the Pokedex that some nuclear waste or something combined with it. Eggxecute? The Pokedex literally says that they are technically seeds so it evolving into a Coconut tree isn't that unbelievable.

A lot of the Pokemon in Black and White feel like someone came up with an idea, and then the next person threw a dart at a bard and that was the Pokemon's location. Cofagirius and Bisharp look like some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh card.

I think the overall complaint with the new Pokemon is that they don't look, natural but at least with the older generations, they look like that on purpose and pretty much have a backstory that explains them while the newer Pokemon just looked like they creators just said "hey I think this might be a good idea" and just went with it.

If you looked into your backyard, could you honestly imagine a family of Throh and Sawk frolicking? At least with Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, Tyrogue was created to give it more of a natural quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmover View Post
Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes -Point partially taken
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes -Pokedex states that this was on purpose
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down -Pokedex states that this was on purpose
-Grimer, a pile of snot -Purpose
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger -Purpose
-Magnemite, a magnet

About the Magnet line and the Koffing line, if they had been found outside of Magnemite and Cinnabar Island respectively; it would have been weird but they are not.

Porygon was created. I will let you have Jynx and Mr. Mime. but I always thought of them as joke characters.
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Volcoronawing649
New Recruit

Nature: Rash
I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones _____________________________________________________________________

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too...

Last edited by Volcoronawing649; April 16th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here