Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page Google Unveils "Google Glass"

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old April 4th, 2012 (12:01 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Today, Google unveiled some details about "Project Glass", their long-term augmented reality project.

Quote:
The prototype version Google showed off on Wednesday looked like a very polished and well-designed pair of wrap-around glasses with a clear display that sits above the eye. The glasses can stream information to the lenses and allow the wearer to send and receive messages through voice commands. There is also a built-in camera to record video and take pictures.
Source

I think these are pretty awesome, but I wouldn't call them "well-designed" as they're still pretty geeky looking lol. A lot of people aren't going to bother if they make them look terrible; and if you can't just piggyback it on your own glasses you would have to buy super expensive glasses every time you got a new eye exam. :( But they're working on those so!

Thoughts?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 4th, 2012 (01:10 PM).
The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Silver Tier

Nature: Lonely
Wow. Progress sure creeps up on you.

I envisage the day that everyone has a pair of these as a while off yet though. The glasses'll probably be really expensive just by virtue of the intricacy and size of the tech crammed inside them, and by the time they reach a consumer price point there'll be all kinds of horror stories (á la the Wii's early days) about dropping them or leaving them on the bus or sitting on them and watching your life shatter into bite-sized fragments. But that'll pass, I guess.

However. I'd love to know how the internet access one presumably needs for these things is supposed to travel with you if you live anywhere other than a major city. I have a freakin' Ethernet cable and BT still can't figure out quite how to, you know, provide an actual connection half the time out here in the sticks. Also, you just know they'd try and make the thing talk to you like Siri, and then we'd have all sorts of problems with misinterpretation and incorrect commands and whatnot. Imagine: some bloke's having it away with a mistress whose first name begins with the same letter as his wife's, and he accidentally sends the wrong text to the wrong lady. Or shares his location. Or posts in the wrong Google+ circle. Or happens to be Scottish. (On the other hand, Hollywood must be rubbing their hands. There's a whole subdivision of romantic comedy films waiting to be ruthlessly mined and rehashed along those lines.)

...I'd still buy one though.

Ramona Flowers
Old April 6th, 2012 (02:57 PM).

So what's the ultimate purpose of this invention, to do what phones now do already save being hands-free?
If that's the case, it's only a logical progression; if not, I would welcome a basic explanation.
Old April 6th, 2012 (03:09 PM). Edited April 6th, 2012 by Blue.
coven
Platinum Tier

Well that's just taking technology to a whole different level and as bad as they look I'd say that is pretty impressive!
Also, here's a video.
Old April 9th, 2012 (02:33 PM).
<<Wandering Bard>>
ModeratorCS

Nature: Sassy
Anyone here watched Dennou Coil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Coil

Quote:
Coil — A Circle of Children, is a Japanese science fiction anime television series depicting a near future where semi-immersive augmented reality (AR) technology has just begun to enter the mainstream. The series takes place in the fictional city of Daikoku, a hotbed of AR development with an emerging city-wide virtual infrastructure. It follows a group of children as they use AR glasses to unravel the mysteries of the half real, half Internet city, using a variety of illegal software tools, techniques, and virtual pets to manipulate the digital landscape.
I am quite excited about this, but at the same time having reservations about the whole thing.

But to be quite honest, the blur between reality and virtual life will become even more blurred with this.
Old April 9th, 2012 (02:38 PM).
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

Nature: Quirky
I like, maybe I should screw up my eyes so I can get a pair XD. But seriously, I knew this would happen one day, and think, they said this is only the first piece of wearable tech, what else do they have in mind? And Personally, I like how they look.

Old April 9th, 2012 (03:31 PM).
The Eternal Lurker

Nature: Quiet
My dad says he'll never let me get one because "Alex Jones said it takes pictures of you for Google hurr durrrrrrr."
Old April 9th, 2012 (04:05 PM).

They were talking about Project Glass on TV just now. I must admit, it looks kind of cool. I would love to be a product tester for Google

I'm thinking they would connect through a cellular data plan, like tablets (such as the iPad) can do right now. That would make sense.

Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & Lapras

Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Old April 11th, 2012 (10:09 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Yeah I heard they're going to implement "super-wifi" in replacement of cellular networks...

Anywho I don't think I would like talking to myself for no reason, and those glasses would make me look really weird. Maybe contacts?

Old April 11th, 2012 (01:02 PM).
The Eternal Lurker

Quote originally posted by droomph:
Anywho I don't think I would like talking to myself for no reason, and those glasses would make me look really weird. Maybe contacts?
Everyone will have one once they come out. It won't be weird anymore.
Old April 11th, 2012 (06:09 PM).
Creator of UnovaHGSS

I don't care what they look like. I'd wear those even if they resembled the old braces of olde where it took up a person's entire face. I've dreamed of glasses like that for as long as I can remember, although as a kid I just wanted to be able to play Pokemon during class But now that I'm older, and with the advent of technology taking over business and all things basically, I see extreme potential in devices such as these - those contacts with pixels are amazing.
Old April 11th, 2012 (06:20 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Ascension you brought up a point that I've been curious about - how would these be implemented in places like cars, work, and school? School it would seem like they would want them banned, because why would you need them during class, it would just distract you. But I've heard people talking about them being used as a GPS in cars, and my first thought was that people were going to die because their glasses covered their vision too much.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 14th, 2012 (06:58 PM).
Creator of UnovaHGSS

I think they would eventually be banned/frowned upon in schools, like cell phones. I think everywhere else, just as with other technologies, if you're doing something business or work related, they'd probably be fine with it. Cars, on the other hand, would probably be illegal, seeing as it's a visual distraction. When these are released, I'll be interested in seeing how everyone will handle it as well.
Old April 14th, 2012 (07:15 PM).
The arch foe

Oh Cracked... :D

8 Features of the Google Glasses (As They'll Really Be Used)
Old April 15th, 2012 (09:16 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Wish Apple was making this. Then they could call them iGlasses.

I know. Lame pun.

Come play Runescape
Old April 15th, 2012 (12:19 PM).
The arch foe

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Wish Apple was making this. Then they could call them iGlasses.

I know. Lame pun.
Old April 15th, 2012 (12:31 PM).
<<Wandering Bard>>
ModeratorCS

Of course Apple will create something like this. It's an arms race with consumer tech after all. :P
Old April 16th, 2012 (08:03 PM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

I can't imagine these ever being street legal. I'm picturing really distracted people behind the wheel and people getting not paying attention walking the street.
Old April 17th, 2012 (10:01 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Some car companies have been thinking about including something that would disable cellphone service inside the car so you can't talk/drive or text/drive.

My guess is that something like that might be able to be applied to this, although it does nothing for all the older cars.

Come play Runescape
Old April 17th, 2012 (12:19 PM).
On our backs and in our hearts!

Quote originally posted by Netto Azure:
Of course Apple will create something like this. It's an arms race with consumer tech after all.
Capitalism, ladies and gentleman :P

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)