The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Advertise here
A GRAND DAY OUT

Introduction

Do you like Team Rocket? Do you like crazy? Then you can be reasonably sure you'll enjoy this, my second mini-hack and the only hack I've ever made that doesn't have the word 'Version' in the title. Marvel as a young child is thrown out of his or her house! Wonder as Team Rocket attempt to blow up Route 1! Puzzle at Giovanni's unusual behaviour! All this and very little else except a Cubone!

Information and Story

I call this a mini-hack because it consists of just an hour or two of gameplay. Originally, it was made for the Speedhacking contest at the last Pokécommunity Get-Together, but I never actually posted it here, and I figured that since I won't be releasing anything new for quite a while, I might as well share it. It follows a young Trainer through one day in his or her life - and it isn't an easy one. In the morning, they're almost blown up, and by lunchtime, he or she does is trying to figure out why Team Rocket keep trying to blow up roads, forests and mountains - with the help of Giovanni, of all people. I'd give more details, but if I did that I'd give away the entire plot, since it's really quite short.

Features

Play as a Pokémon Trainer! Dress up as a Team Rocket member for a brief time! Catch a Cubone! Sorry, but there aren't actually any radically new features here. This is just the video game equivalent of an amusing short story; designed for immediate consumption and subsequent throwing away. Treat it as candy. It's fun (I hope), but ultimately there's no substance, and it may well rot your teeth. Although if you play A Grand Day Out and your teeth do rot, I will deny all knowledge of it and accept no responsibility.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Bugs

None, as far as I know. Which is great.

Completion status

100% complete. Like I said, this is a mere vignette. I won't be doing anything else to it.

Credits

All those who created tools that I used. Otherwise, it's all me, for I work alone, like a tiger or a wounded Allosaurus.

Download
Attached Files
File Type: ips A Grand Day Out.ips‎ (96.1 KB, 3241 views) (Save to Dropbox)

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:01 AM
emeraldcharizard
Beginning Trainer

I really enjoyed this short hack. Humourous and worth playing all the way through.
Just wondering How long did it take you to make this???
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM

Nature: Calm
Hmm...This is interesting...Just like your hacking style...Anyway,well done,Cutlerine!

Hacks I'm working on:

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
jakrodriguez
Unhatched Egg

I might as well make a walkthrough for this on youtube ill post a link when i at least get a the first episode up
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
voltachu
in training pokemon hacker

Awesome mini-hack, I love your Gurren Lagann references!
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Zetsubou Johnny

Nature: Bold
I forgot how much i loved your writing. You actually make the pokemon universe a bit fun. Snakewood was a bit to dark for my taste ((and for me that's saying a lot)) but this game is perfect. I can't help but wish it were longer. Btw I love The Killers, nice reference.

15 hours for a hack, that's pretty amazing. Is a chapter 2 where you have to stop gary out of the question? I'm frankly more scared of him than i was of team rocket.

...Poor professor...

Last edited by Zetsubou Johnny; March 26th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
BungiePhantom
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
After the fade to black screen I found out I can still move so I went downstairs and went all the way back to mt. moon just to find the same scenario play all over again, darn

It was a great short hack though I definitely had some laughs
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
pokegirl42
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Naive
yes i love crazy. but hate team rocket. Nice mini hack. good job
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
YouListeningROMs
Beginning Trainer

A wonderful little game to play in your free time. Worth a look-see.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Cutlerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcharizard View Post
I really enjoyed this short hack. Humourous and worth playing all the way through.
Just wondering How long did it take you to make this???
I did it in bits over a period of three days. I think I say somewhere in the hack that it was about fifteen to twenty hours overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1158 View Post
Hmm...This is interesting...Just like your hacking style...Anyway,well done,Cutlerine!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrodriguez View Post
I might as well make a walkthrough for this on youtube ill post a link when i at least get a the first episode up
If you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltachu View Post
Awesome mini-hack, I love your Gurren Lagann references!
Ah, references. At the moment, I've got this habit of quoting Macbeth and Hamlet reflexively whenever I can make a line fit. This whole reference thing is starting to get out of hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Johnny View Post
I forgot how much i loved your writing. You actually make the pokemon universe a bit fun. Snakewood was a bit to dark for my taste ((and for me that's saying a lot)) but this game is perfect. I can't help but wish it were longer. Btw I love The Killers, nice reference.

15 hours for a hack, that's pretty amazing. Is a chapter 2 where you have to stop gary out of the question? I'm frankly more scared of him than i was of team rocket.

...Poor professor...
Hm. I do have another mini-hack in the works, but it's got nothing to do with this one. But I do like the idea of revisiting Gary. Originally, he was just there to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungiePhantom View Post
After the fade to black screen I found out I can still move so I went downstairs and went all the way back to mt. moon just to find the same scenario play all over again, darn

It was a great short hack though I definitely had some laughs
Yeah, I know you can do that. I should probably stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokegirl42 View Post
yes i love crazy. but hate team rocket. Nice mini hack. good job
I'm not their biggest fans, but everyone knows who Team Rocket is and so does everyone in-game, which removes the need for any sort of set-up. They also had a conveniently nearby leader in the form of Giovanni and their own sprites already in-game. So you can see why, in a limited amount of time, they were the best choice for the little story I had planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouListeningROMs View Post
A wonderful little game to play in your free time. Worth a look-see.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was aiming for, so it's really good to hear that I'm managing to hit the mark.

F.A.B.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
how do i get to Giovanni with a level FIVE Cubone!?!?!? I'm TOTALLY stuck. can someone help me, please? i urgently need the help.

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Blackdragoon
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Bashful
dude i love this hack just like your other ones man great job took me awhile like an hour at the most to level my cubone to evolve to marawak (spelling not sure lol) and @ the post above just go to the grass above viridian city and just fight wild pokes then go back in the cave when your cubone has learned bonemerang or which ever ground move it is and keep going like that

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joshawott
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Brave
Another complete hack? This is a very good year so far! Nice work!
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragoon View Post
dude i love this hack just like your other ones man great job took me awhile like an hour at the most to level my cubone to evolve to marawak (spelling not sure lol) and @ the post above just go to the grass above viridian city and just fight wild pokes then go back in the cave when your cubone has learned bonemerang or which ever ground move it is and keep going like that
Thanks! I'll try that and see if it works. if it doesn't then I am SO giving up. But thanks for the advice! i really needed it. i was ready to EXPLODE with frustration.

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ray F
' Friendship > Chuck Norris

I'm having a great time playing this hack.

I'm fascinated with the difficulty level. It's not easy, but it's not that hard... altough I hate to use the word "perfect", the difficulty level of trainers is just perfect.

The story is short and loveable.
Your style of writting is so witty that just makes me smile.

Really enjoying it. And this just makes me want to find out every other hack you've ever made.

Disclaimer: English is not my native language.
I'd appreciate any corrections on my grammar. (;

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:07 PM
.Ángel~
Sombrero de Paja

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ángel~ Send a message via Skype™ to .Ángel~
Mmm ...
I never saw a hack on green leaf, this is the first. And I'm glad. ^ ^
I like the hack itself, I hope you do not leave.
Luck!
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Treviso
Beginning Trainer

First of all: Great Hack!
It was really, really funny and I love your humour and writing style!
I was a bit sad at the end, because it was so short , but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

However I found some small bugs, nothing serious nor game-breaking.

Spoiler:
If you use Abra (I catched one because that can always be useful to get back to a Pokémon Center) to teleport yourself back to the Pokémon Center in Pewter City, that Guy saying his Pokémon keep getting KO'd is again there.
[Maybe it's supposed to be like this, dunno]

However, if you use Teleport while in Heaven to get back to Pewter City you can go again to Mt. Moon and the scene with Giovanni repeats.
It would be nice if you could prevent the use of Teleport there.

Also, if you go out of the Pokémon Center in Heaven you start again here (Sorry, I'm not yet allowed to post links, since I haven't reached 15 post):
i.imgur.com/fthRH.png

Furthermore if you talk to Brendan he will answer you with the wrong colour:
imgur.com/a/rhXgj
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Chrisbury

I've been playing it for an hour and so far it has been wonderful, the difficulty is perfect, the writting style, the story. I am doing a LP of this hack, hope it's fin with you.
Great job man!
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Cutlerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbury View Post
I've been playing it for an hour and so far it has been wonderful, the difficulty is perfect, the writting style, the story. I am doing a LP of this hack, hope it's fin with you.
Great job man!
Sure, make an LP if you like. Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treviso View Post
First of all: Great Hack!
It was really, really funny and I love your humour and writing style!
I was a bit sad at the end, because it was so short , but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

However I found some small bugs, nothing serious nor game-breaking.

Spoiler:
If you use Abra (I catched one because that can always be useful to get back to a Pokémon Center) to teleport yourself back to the Pokémon Center in Pewter City, that Guy saying his Pokémon keep getting KO'd is again there.
[Maybe it's supposed to be like this, dunno]

However, if you use Teleport while in Heaven to get back to Pewter City you can go again to Mt. Moon and the scene with Giovanni repeats.
It would be nice if you could prevent the use of Teleport there.

Also, if you go out of the Pokémon Center in Heaven you start again here (Sorry, I'm not yet allowed to post links, since I haven't reached 15 post):
i.imgur.com/fthRH.png

Furthermore if you talk to Brendan he will answer you with the wrong colour:
imgur.com/a/rhXgj
Thanks for that. I'll fix everything but the guy who keeps getting his Pokémon KO'd; he's meant to be like that. Because he really is just the worst Trainer ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ángel~ View Post
Mmm ...
I never saw a hack on green leaf, this is the first. And I'm glad. ^ ^
I like the hack itself, I hope you do not leave.
Luck!
Thanks! I actually always hack Leaf Green rather than Fire Red. I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray F View Post
I'm having a great time playing this hack.

I'm fascinated with the difficulty level. It's not easy, but it's not that hard... altough I hate to use the word "perfect", the difficulty level of trainers is just perfect.

The story is short and loveable.
Your style of writting is so witty that just makes me smile.

Really enjoying it. And this just makes me want to find out every other hack you've ever made.
Thanks so much! I did my best to balance the difficulty; the hardest part for me is always Rocket Bomb Squad Lily and her Koffing. Mind you, they're only hard because I refuse to use any Pokémon other than the starting Cubone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
Another complete hack? This is a very good year so far! Nice work!
Thanks. If I could get the first beta of Keratin done by December, it'd be an even better year. Here's hoping, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragoon View Post
Glad you enjoyed it.

Well, it seems this has brightened a few people's days, which is what I hoped for. Thanks for playing, and I may post a bugfix at some point over the next few days.

F.A.B.

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joshawott
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Brave
So, exactly how long is this hack? And are there many battles?
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM
khyle123
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Bold
I did a let's play of this game on Youtube, if you want to check it out to see whats in it there isnt much but I still enjoyed it, just Google lets play Pokemon a grand day out.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Treviso
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
So, exactly how long is this hack? And are there many battles?
It took me about 4 hours, but it does not matter if it's that short, because the story is great and it wouldn't really work if it was longer.
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
cronos5010

Nature: Timid
hello im fairly new here but i dont know how to open it can anybody help me ?

Last edited by cronos5010; May 1st, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Anigana
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos5010 View Post
hello im fairly new here but i dont know how to open it can anybody help me ?
I encountered this earlier, so I looked on the internet because I have to do things the hard way, and I found this site called shamata.tv. If you search for a video about how to download Pokemon Snakewood, it will show you the basic principle for how to open and play most if not all hacks. Hope it helps.
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Anigana, please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

Cutlerine, if you would like this thread to be reopened then just message either myself or giradialkia.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here