Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help
Reload this Page [Gen V] VGC Team Looking To Improve

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Old April 6th, 2012 (08:22 AM).
GreyShadow

This team was made for me and there are things that I just don't understand about it and I could never find the guy on PO again after he gave me the team. Anything that will help is welcome. Also, descriptions aren't my forte so they are really short, so I apologize in advance.

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Protect

Normally lead and combo with this and Whimsy. I love the coverage this thing gets with 2 great stab moves and EQ.

Whimsicott (M) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 80 HP / 76 SAtk / 100 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Beat Up
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tailwind is great but the sole purpose of this guy is to support Terrakion in every way possible.

Zoroark (M) @ Dark Gem
Trait: Illusion
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Sucker Punch
- Low Sweep
- U-turn
- Protect

Besides Sucker Punch and Protect I don't really get this set. I'd love to still use him because SP is killer with Dark Gem but the Naughty Nature and move choices are head-scratches so if someone could explain that would be nice.

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
- Night Slash
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Protect

This guy works well with the whole team. Fake Out support is always great and Ice Shard does great in a metagame infested with types with high speed that are weak to it.

Salamence (M) @ Draco Plate
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Dragon Tail is a bit puzzling because a move that has to go last isn't something I'd want in a Double Battle. Still everything else works great. Salamence has always been a true powerhouse.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SDef / 176 Spd
- Outrage
- Protect
- Return
- Fake Out

I find myself rarely sending him out but Scrappy + Fake Out is really cool.

Again I'm sorry about the descriptions, I'm still new to competitive battling in general.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 6th, 2012 (09:01 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
For Zoroark, Low Sweep is there because it's its only option against Steel Pokemon. U-turn is there for scouting purposes or to get out of the battle if Zoroark is up against one of its counters.

If you still don't get what physical Zoroark can do, maybe you can go to a Special set.

For Salamence, if you don't find Dragon Tail working out for you, try EQ.

Kangaskhan is flat-out walled by Steels. A Fighting or Ground move will help here (Hammer Arm or EQ, with both having their own drawbacks. Hammer Arm slows you down, while EQ also damages your partner, as long as it's not Flying or a Levitator)

Old April 6th, 2012 (09:57 AM).
GreyShadow

Alright. EQ seems like a better option for Salamence. As for Kangaskan I'll see how Hammer Arm works out. Any other suggestions?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 6th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
zantetsu122

It seems all of your pokemon have Protect. Are you the type of battler that is offensive and defensive at the same time? I like it.
E: 0/8
D/P: 0/8
B: 0/8
Ultimate Solo Challenge:
Excadrill: 0/8( still confirming.)
Dragonite; LG>LC>E>PT>BB/VW(still confirming)
Random Solo Challenge Platinum 0/8:
Snorlax
Milotic
Luxray
Pelipper
Mamoswine
Lickylicky
0/8
Old April 6th, 2012 (04:19 PM).
GreyShadow

I always think Protect is essential in Double Battles.

Old April 18th, 2012 (07:09 PM).
TheGr8
lovely pair<3
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by GreyShadow:
I always think Protect is essential in Double Battles.
Yeah it really is, esp for VGC, the other protects are good too such as Wide Guard, and Quick Guard. Honestly Platinum really hit it on the head there with Kang being walled by Steels.

Honestly Salamence, I see more Special because of it's access to heat wave or even running a mixed mence. When I was at philly I saw 2 mences with heat wave, prob mixed. If you went to a regional this is late but could help if your going to nats, I could have a breakdown of mence for you in a PM (:

Youtube | Twitter | VGC| Pair

Signature by Khalei

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links