The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

View Poll Results: What web browser do you use?
Firefox 73 34.93%
Chrome 106 50.72%
Opera 12 5.74%
Internet Explorer 3 1.44%
Safari 11 5.26%
Other 4 1.91%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:46 AM
CrazyMrHans
Drunk and slightly Irish

Nature: Lax
I use chrome because it's fast, and minimalistic, Firefox can be faster if you disable all add-ons though, but that means no adblock so screw that.
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
lol who was the guy that chose Internet Explorer?

Mine is Firefox. It was the first browser I was ever introduced to outside of IE and I've been in love with it ever since. It's so much faster and more reliable. People say they have problems with it but I've never noticed it myself.

I've tried Chrome and it does very well too, but I feel more at home on Firefox.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Iris Mist

Nature: Sassy
I personally use Chrome on both my home computers. My desktop computer is old and quite slow, and Chrome is the only browser that doesn't freeze for 30 minutes everytime I try to load a page.

Most of the places I worked use IE, and the more I use it, the more I hate it.

I remember when I first started using the Internet, Netscape was the only browser available. That was on the Windows 3.1 computers
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
Nostalgia... I still remember that lighthouse pulser. :D
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archenoth View Post
Nostalgia... I still remember that lighthouse pulser. :D
Haha! I remember my first PC. It came with IE5 and Navigator 4 or something

For some reason or another I stuck with IE.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Used I.E for years then I switched to Google Chrome and found it much quicker & versatile.

Team αlpha
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Used Firefox for a few years, but when it started getting bloated I moved on to Chrome. I've been pretty satisfied with Chrome, but recently it's become bloated just like Firefox did a couple years back. I'm still sticking with Chrome for the time being; I've gotten pretty used to its interface and how it works, so...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM
wonjoon0330
I Quit!

Prior to 2008, I've been using Internet Explorer(still uses it sometimes), then I switched to Mozilla Firefox and last year, I switched to Google Chrome and been happy ever since! :)

P.S. Just for the hack, I've tried various browsers earlier this year for comparison and I decided to stick to Chrome, just cause it's the fastest(in my opinion) and has simple settings and stuff.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM
blackmorale
風の行方

Nature: Timid
Google Chrome. It's fast, easy, and has the "Incognito Window" feature (although Opera has a private tab). [I love Opera's features, but my laptop won't let me download it. :c]

Platinum FC: 0432 7933 2733
SS FC: 1936 6025 7297
Trade thread

I claimed these Pokémon:

Sprites: Bulbapedia

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmorale View Post
Google Chrome. It's fast, easy, and has the "Incognito Window" feature (although Opera has a private tab). [I love Opera's features, but my laptop won't let me download it. :c]
Firefox: Tools > Start Private Browsing

It makes me sad so many people sold their souls to Google.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Bax
Beginning Trainer

Personally I use Firefox. I got times when I wanted to skip to Chrome, but after Firefox came with new version which fixed what I got problem with so yeah I am still with Firefox :D

Anyway I got Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE installed because of web development.

Btw I saw interesting test somewhere. They were testing start up speed, loading speed of websites and battery consumption while those browsers are running. Intersting thing was that all those tests won newest IE 10.

IE did huge progress in user friendliness, support of standards and performance. Microsoft really started to work hard with it. Question is if it is not too late, because bad name which they made is just too strong.

Btw with safety and usage of modern technologies are all major browsers on nearly the same level. What counts for me atm is implementation of HTML5. Chrome got the best, but that is because of fact, that main designer of HTML5 is employee of Google (or something like that). Anyway it is not standard yet so I expect Firefox will reach the same level as soon as it will be out as standard (difference is already not that big).
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Quote:
Wait, won't let you download it..? Why not? (If I may ask)

And as noted above, most browsers have some form of private browsing... Firefox only does it by session though, Chrome does it on a window basis, and Opera is by the tab. I find it hilarious that there is a shortcut to close all private tabs but leave the others open in Opera though. ([Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Q]) :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Btw I saw interesting test somewhere. They were testing start up speed, loading speed of websites and battery consumption while those browsers are running. Intersting thing was that all those tests won newest IE 10.

IE did huge progress in user friendliness, support of standards and performance. Microsoft really started to work hard with it. Question is if it is not too late, because bad name which they made is just too strong.
I can say from experience that IE10, when first loaded is slower than Chrome. (But faster than Firefox, and about the same speed as Opera)

Quote:
Btw with safety and usage of modern technologies are all major browsers on nearly the same level. What counts for me atm is implementation of HTML5. Chrome got the best, but that is because of fact, that main designer of HTML5 is employee of Google (or something like that). Anyway it is not standard yet so I expect Firefox will reach the same level as soon as it will be out as standard (difference is already not that big).
This is untrue... HTML5 came from Opera. (You only need to read the first line)
And the best desktop implementation is actually from Firefox currently. Best overall is from Opera Mobile, but not their desktop browser yet. I am not sure about "Next" though, it probably implements the full API, I haven't fully checked. (You can try Opera Mobile via their official Android version emulator here)

You can check your browser's API compatibility by checking out Opera's HTML5 and CSS3 API showcase here.

Last edited by Archenoth; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:47 AM
Bax
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
This is untrue... HTML5 came from Opera. (You only need to read the first line)
Hello I did not say it cam from google, I said currently Chrome got best support because head designer is from google. You can read your source, quote from it:
Quote:
Ian Hickson of Google is the editor of HTML5.
Quote:
And the best desktop implementation is actually from Firefox currently. Best overall is from Opera Mobile, but not their desktop browser yet. I am not sure about "Next" though, it probably implements the full API, I haven't fully checked. (You can try Opera Mobile via their official Android version emulator here)
fast test:
html5test.com
Firefox: 330+9 points
Chrome: 400+13
Both with newest version

I got my facts covered, that is why I said them
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Essentials
Lost in Thought

Nature: Quirky
Chrome FTW! \m/

Right now, however, I am using Firefox on my netbook. But usually, on the computer, I use Chrome because it has this Adventure Time theme and BMo is on the "Back" "Forward" and etcetera thing. If I could only show you a picture ... Oh, here it is:

I am deeply sorry for the terrible quality. I just found it on Google. D: It's extremely cute! When I Back from a page, I always see BMo! Squeeee~

Essentials

Blog
Twitter
FanFiction.net

Close your eyes and think of the person you love. It's a
Damn Cold Night, but I feel Safe and Sound when I'm
with you.

I may not be the smartest girl in the world. I may not be the
prettiest student in town. But no matter what you think of
me, I'm still Hannah.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:38 AM
Huggie
Mewtwo lover :3

Nature: Gentle
I use chrome for the last two months and it's really nice and fast! My previous one was firefox. I didn't experience any problem ,I just changed it because I liked the design better

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Quote:
Hello I did not say it cam from google, I said currently Chrome got best support because head designer is from google. You can read your source, quote from it:
Oh dammit. You are right.

Quote:
fast test:
html5test.com
Firefox: 330+9 points
Chrome: 400+13
Both with newest version

I got my facts covered, that is why I said them
Hm... I was looking at this page... Which is why I thought you were incorrect.

That is an interesting site you linked to... This page in particular is an eye opener about how far each browser is. http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
ThatsWhiteBro
Beginning Trainer

It is all dependent. I have two browsers that i use Firefox and Google Chrome.

Pro's ofFirefox:
Better add-ons
Better for web development

Pro's of Chrome:
Browser opens faster
Arguably faster web searching

Pro's of Explorer:
Just kidding there are none...lol

But in all seriousness if you have explorer get rid of it and use one of these two ok they will change the way you look at the web.

For web development i like Firefox
For searching the web i like Chrome
But both are awesome browsers.

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhiteBro View Post
It is all dependent. I have two browsers that i use Firefox and Google Chrome.

Pro's ofFirefox:
Better add-ons
Better for web development

Pro's of Chrome:
Browser opens faster
Arguably faster web searching

Pro's of Explorer:
Just kidding there are none...lol

But in all seriousness if you have explorer get rid of it and use one of these two ok they will change the way you look at the web.

For web development i like Firefox
For searching the web i like Chrome
But both are awesome browsers.
I probably can add one to the "Explorer" and "Opera" groups, just saying. Performance after the page is loaded and too many features to count for the former and latter respectively
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:32 AM
blackmorale
風の行方

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Wait, won't let you download it..? Why not? (If I may ask)

And as noted above, most browsers have some form of private browsing... Firefox only does it by session though, Chrome does it on a window basis, and Opera is by the tab. I find it hilarious that there is a shortcut to close all private tabs but leave the others open in Opera though. ([Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Q]) :D

Something about not being safe for download due to possible virus content...? (Norton :U)

I haven't used Firefox in a long time, and now that you good people mention it, I did glimpse a "private tab" option some time ago. I guess that's a minus 1 for Chrome.

Platinum FC: 0432 7933 2733
SS FC: 1936 6025 7297
Trade thread

I claimed these Pokémon:

Sprites: Bulbapedia

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
I haven't used Firefox in a long time, and now that you good people mention it, I did glimpse a "private tab" option some time ago. I guess that's a minus 1 for Chrome.
Pretty much every browser on the market has a Private mode - Chrome was one of the first.

I've just checked, and it's available in: IE9, Chrome, Firefox, Safari (PC/Mac), Opera.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM
NeoZX
◊Change the Future◊

Nature: Relaxed
I mainly use Firefox 4. At first it was because Internet Explorer couldn't play a certain flash game that I liked (that was back when I was, what, 9 years old?). But I grew to like the browser a lot and it became my default web browser until now, and I don't think that anything is going to convince me to switch to any other browser unless it involves me getting killed.

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoZX View Post
I mainly use Firefox 4. At first it was because Internet Explorer couldn't play a certain flash game that I liked (that was back when I was, what, 9 years old?). But I grew to like the browser a lot and it became my default web browser until now, and I don't think that anything is going to convince me to switch to any other browser unless it involves me getting killed.
Aren't they on like Firefox 9 by now? If so, you're pretty far behind the curve.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
Aren't they on like Firefox 9 by now? If so, you're pretty far behind the curve.
If only. Version 12 is out, with 13 in beta already. I believe 4 gets security update, IIRC, but it doesn't stop it being a bloated mess compared to the newer versions.

Been trying out the Opera Beta. It's nice enough, but I just can't see any compelling reason to use it over Chrome or Firefox.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Penta Penguin
U Boj! U Boj!

I introduced my parents to Firefox in showing how fast it can be, and they have used it ever since. I like Firefox because it has both a fast browser and also seems to keep you safe online.

Last edited by Penta Penguin; April 27th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
SuperUltraWolf
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Rash
Did you know the google chrome user agreement says they have the right to invade your privacy and access every site you visit, log into, post on, search on, download from and ip trace everything you do? think I'll keep kickin' it with Firefox
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links