Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #351    
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Jarred0809's Avatar
Jarred0809
The Eternal Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Chicago
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?

Same-sex marriage: What are they doing that is so bad? Are they ruining your straight marriage? No. Are they corrupting the morality of America's youth? Not unless you consider having options "corruption". Do they all have some homosexual agenda? Only equal rights.
Abortion: Personally, I wouldn't have a woman abort my child. That doesn't mean nobody can do it. However, it's gotta be a last resort. If you don't want a baby in the first place, use a condom or the pill.
Death Penalty: I can't say yes or no for all criminals. Some people deserve to die, others don't.

Why are your beliefs the way they are?

As a kid, I saw Greek myths or Native American legends and said "That's just their way of explaining why things are like this." Then I realized the same was true about modern religion. A few months and a little research later, a new atheist was born.

Do you believe in any form of life after death?

I hope that there's some kind of "dream world" we enter when we die. I don't really believe that, I just think it would be nice if that's what happens instead of nonexistence, which is kinda eerie if you think about it.

If God does exist, what do you think it would be like?

I think he's be a /b/tard, because his sense of humor must be pretty messed up.

What are your family's general religious beliefs?

My immediate family was always kinda relaxed about religion. I think my mom is Baptist, and my dad went to the same Catholic school I attended for a few years. The only person in my family whose beliefs I have a real problem with is my mom's cousin Steve. He's hardcore about Christianity and apparently uses it to justify his racism, sexism, and other biases.

Last edited by Jarred0809; April 25th, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Oops, I forgot to do one of them.
  #352    
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Jeff Gordon's Avatar
Jeff Gordon
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I'll join this conversation, although when it comes to religion, I always ask myself many questions and I never receive answers. Why me lol

What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?


Same-sex marriage: They say in the bible that this isn't allowed, someone pointed it out to me long ago, I couldn't tell you where it says exactly since I haven't looked in my bible in a long time. Personally? I think it's no harm done, if it's your choice, you can marry the same gender. I don't see the problem being any different than two different ethnicity/races marrying one another.

Abortion: I oppose to this objective. Having a child should be a life-changing moment, and not only that, it should be a joyful moment. If you're pregnant, you're pregnant. After all, having a baby is like gaining a new best friend, as you spend everyday with that child for the next 18-20 years of your life. Who wouldn't want that? I don't see why the parents of a daughter or son who just found out they are having a baby, would get ballistic and kick them out for it and so forth like the way the society is. Which tend to lead to abortion because of the fear to tell their parents about it.

Death Penalty: Death is such a tragic thing. No one deserves to die, and when the time comes, they will pass away when God wants them to, peacefully. But however, criminals do tend to get very nasty and ugly with their crimes. Those who enjoy the crap out of hurting others and murdering, need to spend the rest of their life in prison, for good. However, death penalty could lead a life away from this prison-life. Why make them escape this? As long as the criminal is behind bars in prison for life or set on Death Penalty, I have no problem with this. But for those who are innocent, this shouldn't even be on their path of living, at all.

Why are your beliefs the way they are?

Hate to say this but, I don't really have any beliefs. I mean, I've been to church, 2-3 of them, in my life. I am a Christian I suppose but, not a hardcore one or anything. I've struggled to even think about all this..my parents watch Joel Osteen every Sunday. I don't. It's not that I don't believe in God, I just question to much about everything relating to him. Especially how in the past I've always prayed and prayed and I get nothing, and watching others in my church go crazy and such, sometime I think it's an act of those people in church who are just dead-on insane and faking it. I don't have any restrictions or focus on any beliefs, I'd just like to say I'm a normal human being living my life everyday, one day at a time, I guess.

Do you believe in any form of life after death?

Seen some news about how a child was in a hospital and died for a second and came back to life saying he saw God and Jesus and says the picture of God we all creature, doesn't even come close to what he look like. Kid was like, 12 I think? Anyway, not that any of us will truly know what's ahead of this lifetime, but I do happen to love the Anime Angel Beats! and personally, I would like to go to that afterlife myself. Then again, another world to be born in with no memory of your past life? That's another one I tend to believe myself. Like for the universe, I believe with many galaxies out there, there are another planet like Earth, that lives their lives like we do. I would like to believe our souls travel from Galaxy to Galaxy and be reborn over and over again. Heck, does anyone even remember before they were awake/born, did you all feel like you were sleeping forever or something? Just a weird life we're living xD

If God does exist, what do you think it would be like?

To be honest, I couldn't even answer this even if I knew. I just think he's a normal guy figure, but massively huge and has supernatural powers. That's all I can come up with...

What are your family's general religious beliefs?

I mentioned this to one of the earlier questions, we are just normal human beings living our lives. I mean, we cuss, we eat I LOVE Fish, so we're no vegetarian, we drink(parents used to, I drank only once but not really addictive, doesn't taste that great LOL), parents used to smoke but I don't, wear whatever clothes we want, etc. We aren't really strict on things like some religious families out there.
battle server MOD // paired to Sanguine & Synerjee // rival of Denny Hamlin
  #353    
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
with a capital Y.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Welcome to the club Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector Revenge
Abortion: I oppose to this objective. Having a child should be a life-changing moment, and not only that, it should be a joyful moment. If you're pregnant, you're pregnant. After all, having a baby is like gaining a new best friend, as you spend everyday with that child for the next 18-20 years of your life. Who wouldn't want that? I don't see why the parents of a daughter or son who just found out they are having a baby, would get ballistic and kick them out for it and so forth like the way the society is. Which tend to lead to abortion because of the fear to tell their parents about it.
I should preface this by saying that I am in favour of abortion, so therefore I disagree with your views on the matter. But I have to say that even if I were against abortion like you, I would take issue with your reasoning. When it comes down to it, what you've said is "having a child is a good thing so everybody must feel happy about it regardless of if they ever wanted children or not, because after all, what kind of crazy person wouldn't want a baby?"

But the reality is far different. Some people don't want kids, some people are not thrilled at the idea that they're pregnant and want a way out of it that does not result in 18-20 years of life with their 'new best friend'. It really isn't as simple as your post would have us believe. If you're against abortion that's absolutely fine, I'm not trying to attack you for that - I just think there has to be better reasoning behind it than that.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

  #354    
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oryx's Avatar
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector Revenge View Post
Abortion: I oppose to this objective. Having a child should be a life-changing moment, and not only that, it should be a joyful moment. If you're pregnant, you're pregnant. After all, having a baby is like gaining a new best friend, as you spend everyday with that child for the next 18-20 years of your life. Who wouldn't want that? I don't see why the parents of a daughter or son who just found out they are having a baby, would get ballistic and kick them out for it and so forth like the way the society is. Which tend to lead to abortion because of the fear to tell their parents about it.
...Excuse me?

This post shows a very immature view on children and an almost disturbing amount of ignorance. Please, if you're going to say you have an opinion on something as important as abortion, make it a well-informed, educated opinion. It's fine to say you're unsure on the topic, but to say that women shouldn't get abortions because they should want to spent 18 years with a child is just...ignorant on the basest level. That's like saying "I think everyone should be required to eat chocolate, because why wouldn't you want to eat chocolate?!", completely ignoring the fact that some people don't like chocolate or are allergic to it.

Please, please tell me you're joking on this.
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
  #355    
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector Revenge View Post
I oppose to this objective. Having a child should be a life-changing moment, and not only that, it should be a joyful moment. If you're pregnant, you're pregnant. After all, having a baby is like gaining a new best friend, as you spend everyday with that child for the next 18-20 years of your life. Who wouldn't want that? I don't see why the parents of a daughter or son who just found out they are having a baby, would get ballistic and kick them out for it and so forth like the way the society is. Which tend to lead to abortion because of the fear to tell their parents about it.
Some people, like me, aren't ready emotionally to have someone groping at them for the next 20 years. As you can tell with me, if I was to have a child right now, without any help from my parents, I would rather it not have ever lived than living through 20 years of mistreatment, because I can't handle a new being around me emotionally and financially like a full grown adult with a job can, and nothing that you said is valid, or is valid but is canceled out by other factors.

And what about the parents who find out that they have a child without lungs, or have no arms? What about the ones with fatal genetic disorders? They should be allowed to have an abortion. I don't know if you've ever lost something, but I can assure you even the littlest things, like a pet dog dying, can seriously damage your psyche (is that the right word?), especially if you have to experience the death in person...and even if it isn't fatal, you have to watch every day as your mangled child has to deal with the things he can't do. It is very distressing and heart-wrenching to have to go through that every day.

However the ones who are 35 and have a six-figure job and still want an abortion? No. They should be forced to enjoy the luxury (or punishment) of a child, because you have liven long enough with full freedom to do whatever you wish, and in this case everything you said is true and fully valid.

So I understand how you wouldn't want abortion to be legal, but your arguments are a little bit too general...just sayin' :I Your points are valid, but you must consider the other people who have a reason to want abortion.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt



Last edited by droomph; April 28th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
  #356    
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Oryx's Avatar
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
A child should never be used as a punishment for a mistake. That's a terrible way to think of a living human.
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
  #357    
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
CarefulWetPaint's Avatar
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Gender: Male
I have to agree with Andy and say I'm pro abortion. The female should have the right to decide whether or not she wants to have a child. And Sector, saying that they should want to spend the next 18-20 years of their life is ignorant as Toujours said. I don't want to see the thread turn into an argument about abortion but I believe there should be a choice and if you get pregnant you shouldn't be forced to go through with it if you don't think you're ready or that you couldn't handle it. That is not fair on any of the involved parties to do that.

And droomph, saying someone whose making a lot of money and is older should be forced to have a child is just ridiculous. It should still be a life choice as they are going to be the person(s) raising the child and if they didn't want a child in the first place it could be a very lonely and sad experience for the child to grow up with.
  #358    
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:48 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulWetPaint View Post
I have to agree with Andy and say I'm pro abortion. The female should have the right to decide whether or not she wants to have a child. And Sector, saying that they should want to spend the next 18-20 years of their life is ignorant as Toujours said. I don't want to see the thread turn into an argument about abortion but I believe there should be a choice and if you get pregnant you shouldn't be forced to go through with it if you don't think you're ready or that you couldn't handle it. That is not fair on any of the involved parties to do that.

And droomph, saying someone whose making a lot of money and is older should be forced to have a child is just ridiculous. It should still be a life choice as they are going to be the person(s) raising the child and if they didn't want a child in the first place it could be a very lonely and sad experience for the child to grow up with.
OKAY SO I DIDN'T SAY IT CLEARLY ENOUGH

I mean, just...AAAHHH no words can describe those kinds of people. Oh well, I guess you're right but you DO know what I mean. No you don't. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just saying, if you were to go anti-abortion, that's the farthest I would go. I honestly couldn't care. Vasectomy for me

I am a prime example of why men in politics shouldn't decide on these things.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #359    
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Jeff Gordon's Avatar
Jeff Gordon
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
That's like saying "I think everyone should be required to eat chocolate, because why wouldn't you want to eat chocolate?!", completely ignoring the fact that some people don't like chocolate or are allergic to it.

Please, please tell me you're joking on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
A child should never be used as a punishment for a mistake. That's a terrible way to think of a living human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulWetPaint View Post
Sector, saying that they should want to spend the next 18-20 years of their life is ignorant as Toujours said. I don't want to see the thread turn into an argument about abortion but I believe there should be a choice and if you get pregnant you shouldn't be forced to go through with it if you don't think you're ready or that you couldn't handle it. That is not fair on any of the involved parties to do that.
Oh wow. I just realized what I typed up, I had no idea what I was even thinking at the time. Sorry xD But good responses by Toujours & CarefulWetPaint, both are absolutely correct.

Honestly? I seriously could careless about Abortion, I have no say in this as I've never experienced it. Yeah sure, I'd probably think differently if I knew or experienced it with someone I know personally, but haven't. And usually if I had no idea how to answer or don't want to answer, I would had just skipped it and waited for the next question. I've been asked this before and just can't bring myself to opinionated about it either. I will say that I hope all make the right decision upon coming to this major life decision. It's definitely not one to fool around with.

My apologies for the confusion..I'll be more careful next time I answer something this complex! I seriously had no idea what I was thinking earlier when I typed that up..Hope it didn't offend anyone, the least I wanted to do was that...
battle server MOD // paired to Sanguine & Synerjee // rival of Denny Hamlin
  #360    
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM
CarefulWetPaint's Avatar
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector Revenge View Post



Oh wow. I just realized what I typed up, I had no idea what I was even thinking at the time. Sorry xD But good responses by Toujours & CarefulWetPaint, both are absolutely correct.

Honestly? I seriously could careless about Abortion, I have no say in this as I've never experienced it. Yeah sure, I'd probably think differently if I knew or experienced it with someone I know personally, but haven't. And usually if I had no idea how to answer or don't want to answer, I would had just skipped it and waited for the next question. I've been asked this before and just can't bring myself to opinionated about it either. I will say that I hope all make the right decision upon coming to this major life decision. It's definitely not one to fool around with.

My apologies for the confusion..I'll be more careful next time I answer something this complex! I seriously had no idea what I was thinking earlier when I typed that up..Hope it didn't offend anyone, the least I wanted to do was that...

It's fine man, just remember you have to tread very very carefully with touchy subjects such as this to ensure that no flame wars follow. So next time just be a little bit more careful and re-read what you type when talking about subjects like abortion.

Besides that once again welcome to the club and I hope you get involved with future discussion's and topics
  #361    
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:12 AM
FrostPheonix's Avatar
FrostPheonix
Eternity.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bored-topia
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
  #362    
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:20 AM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
Accepting Christians as your enemy is the entirely wrong way to do things... they may think of us as their enemy, but we don't have to return the favor. It's the same as if you're the good honest student, and someone is constantly bullying you... no one will ever notice the bully, but if you retaliate, you will get caught, and you will be punished as if you started the whole thing. He just retaliated, unfortunately.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon


  #363    
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
First, just because Savage is the founder of It Gets Better doesn't mean that everything he does is automatically related to that movement. If you have issues with IGB then you should take issue with it over its own merits or flaws.

I think what he did was polarizing and extreme. Normally when someone does or proposes something so far from the mindset of the status quo it makes them afraid and more willing to accept someone with similar views who is more moderate. I'd say that's a good thing because it helps the idea gain traction, but in this case I don't think it works very well since there really isn't an in between place.

deviantart blog pair
  #364    
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
CarefulWetPaint's Avatar
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
Just because he is the founder of something doesn't mean his views are the exact same as the foundations, refusing to help them out now because of one thing one member did is a little bit silly I think, but it's your call in the end.

Regarding Savage.. WOW, he definitely went over the top. I think it's fine if you think something like that and he may of had some valid points but attacking a religion to get your views across is not the correct way to go about it. Mocking the people who walked out of the room is definitely taking it to far, as you shouldn't attack someones beliefs. I think he could have definitely gotten his point across in a much more friendly way which would have actually had people take note on it. Though if he didn't do this would it have gotten as much exposure as he has gotten from doing it? Who knows, though the article did have his reason's in it which people would now be thinking of. That's my take on it anyway.
  #365    
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
CyanFlame's Avatar
CyanFlame
Gotta get the sauce
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Jolly
*I'm not atheist but I have a question:*
-What's the difference between being an atheist and not having a religion?-
My Piplup brings all the boys to the yard.
I can teach you,
But I have to charge
____________________________________________________________

  #366    
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
CarefulWetPaint's Avatar
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanFlame View Post
*I'm not atheist but I have a question:*
-What's the difference between being an atheist and not having a religion?-
An atheist believes there's no god(s) or deities.
And by not having a religion I'm going to assume you mean agnostic means that you don't think it is possible to prove the existence of or truth of religious claims to be true.
(Excuse me if I'm wrong or if I generalized not having a religion the wrong way.)

I hope that helps you out and answered you question (at least a little bit.)
  #367    
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
with a capital Y.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph
However the ones who are 35 and have a six-figure job and still want an abortion? No. They should be forced to enjoy the luxury (or punishment) of a child, because you have liven long enough with full freedom to do whatever you wish, and in this case everything you said is true and fully valid.
Even that is a huge judgment call to make on something that is none of your business, and that's the whole problem with the pro-life movement. Everything they say comes across as passing judgment on the lives and decisions of others when they have no right to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPhoenix
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
As Scarf said, he is not the It Gets Better foundation. If you are re-considering doing something to help them out because of this, it says way more about you than it does about him or the foundation.

As for the speech itself, actually ripping the Bible might have been a little over the top considering how funny people get about that sort of thing, but the point he was trying to make is valid and I just saw it as a visual aid to what he was saying. Provocative? Sure, but sometimes to get a point across you have to be.

The thing is that as many wonderful Christians as there are who are fine with the gay thing and support gay rights, there are an equal or greater number of idiots out there who use their religion as a scapegoat for their bigotry. Because of that, speeches like Savage's still need to be made. It's good and well to talk about how not all Christians are that way and therefore Christianity is not the enemy, but this is something we already know, and being complacent about the rest of them because of that won't get anybody anywhere. There are still bigots out there and change isn't made by settling for what you have. Sometimes you have to do something to get noticed. He succeeded.

Overall, I think the tearing of the Bible may have been extreme and I understand why people would be offended by it, but it got a news article written, didn't it? There are millions of copies of that book, this may well be the first time one of them has been used for something positive.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

  #368    
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Even that is a huge judgment call to make on something that is none of your business, and that's the whole problem with the pro-life movement. Everything they say comes across as passing judgment on the lives and decisions of others when they have no right to do so.
I said...vasectommmyyyyyy~ besides...I already said that I wasn't dead serious. I can always change my views, because it's not gonna affect me.

Geesh.
Quote:
Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

What do you guys think? I was speechless... prior to this I supported the 'It gets better foundation' and was thinking of doing something to help it, now I'm not so sure. What was he thinking?
I don't get why he would do that. But do remember whatever side he's on there's always gonna be crazy people. We have to ignore them and focus on the majority of the people who deserve to have their true arguments heard.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #369    
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
with a capital Y.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Just because I came late to the party doesn't mean I'm not gonna say what I wanted to say lol. In any case, I'm not asking you to change your views, just pointing out the flaws in them

Vasectomies don't really relate anyway. I'd like every straight man to have a vasectomy, but in the end that's a pro-active measure and abortions are a reactive measure. What you were saying was that if older people of means accidentally fell pregnant they should be forced to keep and endure the baby.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

  #370    
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM
FrostPheonix's Avatar
FrostPheonix
Eternity.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bored-topia
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulWetPaint View Post
Just because he is the founder of something doesn't mean his views are the exact same as the foundations, refusing to help them out now because of one thing one member did is a little bit silly I think, but it's your call in the end.
Yeah, I suppose I just got a bit angry soz about that, I think I'll still donate or something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Overall, I think the tearing of the Bible may have been extreme and I understand why people would be offended by it, but it got a news article written, didn't it? There are millions of copies of that book, this may well be the first time one of them has been used for something positive.
As to him not being the whole organisation and all, I think that if you are the founder, you're a representative of it. Actions you make will affect how your organization is being seen, and one should consider that in public speeches. At least that's how I see it. 

And I think most of his points aren't very valid. In the shortest book of the Bible, Philemon, Paul is asking the slave owner to free a slave. Doesn't seem very pro-slavery to me. I realize the old testament has parts that are pro slavery, but I think most Christians would agree that the old testament isn't to be taken literally anymore. Since the coming of Christ we follow the New Testament. Modern Christians would follow the New testament, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it is pro-slavery. God does tell Paul that everyone is equal in the eyes of God. I realize that he wanted to get people to realize that homosexuality isn't bad, but I don't think he had to go this extreme for it. Sure, it got into the newspapers, but it wasn't exactly positive publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
There are millions of copies of [the Bible], this may well be the first time one of them has been used for something positive.
...I'm trying real hard not to lash out, but can you not say something as offending as that? I realize this is an Atheist club, but that doesn't mean you have to say something like that...
  #371    
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Barrels's Avatar
Barrels
The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hanging from the edge of a cliff
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
Yeah, I suppose I just got a bit angry soz about that, I think I'll still donate or something.
Please, do. Whether you agree with the actions of one member of the organisation or not, the work they do is nothing short of fantastic. And so necessary. I'd honestly liken them to an emergency service in that they are there to save vulnerable young lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
I realize the old testament has parts that are pro slavery, but I think most Christians would agree that the old testament isn't to be taken literally anymore.
Really, really not trying to flame or anything, so please don't misunderstand, but... this is so confusing to me. Are you saying that you'd have been OK with him ripping up half of the Bible? Or just the parts that condone those kinds of practices? Or none of it?

Do most Christians not follow the whole Bible? You've genuinely knocked me for a loop there. I don't understand - how do you pick and choose? Isn't the whole thing the word of God? (It is, right? I just did a quick bit of research and found this: 'the writers claim a supernatural origin for their writings. Nearly 4,000 times, expressions like "Thus says the Lord," "The word of the Lord came unto me," etc., are recorded in the Bible.')

Please, man, you're the expert. Any answers would be thoroughly appreciated.

EDIT: Also... Andy, no offense, mate, but please don't stick me on the members' list just yet. I'm still divided as to whether joining a group of atheists characterised as an alliance is too provocative for a peace-loving soul like myself. (Who are we allied against, exactly? The 'many wonderful Christians who are fine with the gay thing and support gay rights' - well, no, obviously. But if it's the 'equal or greater number of idiots out there who use their religion as a scapegoat for their bigotry', then should we be using atheism to fight them? Shouldn't it be the Enlightenment Alliance, or the Freedom Alliance, or the Rights Alliance? Because if we're fine with their belief then atheism isn't a weapon - and I don't believe it should be seen as such anyway. It's playing into the hands of those who see us as evil, devious Satan-warriors.)

(All, feel free to prod me in the eye and disagree volubly. I'm usually wrong about most things, lol.)

Ramona Flowers

Last edited by Barrels; April 30th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
  #372    
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:46 AM
FrostPheonix's Avatar
FrostPheonix
Eternity.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bored-topia
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
Really, really not trying to flame or anything, so please don't misunderstand, but... this is so confusing to me. Are you saying that you'd have been OK with him ripping up half of the Bible? Or just the parts that condone those kinds of practices? Or none of it?

Do most Christians not follow the whole Bible? You've genuinely knocked me for a loop there. I don't understand - how do you pick and choose? Isn't the whole thing the word of God? (It is, right? I just did a quick bit of research and found this: 'the writers claim a supernatural origin for their writings. Nearly 4,000 times, expressions like "Thus says the Lord," "The word of the Lord came unto me," etc., are recorded in the Bible.')

Please, man, you're the expert. Any answers would be thoroughly appreciated.
Oh, I'm so happy someone asked me nicely about my views Usually its just... ah, forget it Meh, not sure I'm an expert but I'll give it a shot:

Well, the thing is, I myself consider the new testament to be the current true Bible. Maybe I spoke a bit hastily there when I generalized christians, but I myself believe mostly only in the New Testament. The old testament was... well, old. It has laws for how people should live, and was prior to when Jesus died on the Cross for our sins. For example, we don't see christians offering sacrificial lambs or anything, do we? In the same way, some of the Old testament practices have become obsolete. Another thing was that some of the laws were aimed to the people of the time. For example, the concept of a king. God originally didn't want to give Israel a King, but since they kept asking, he relented. Which eventually led to Israel's downfall. I think, in the same way, God didn't like the concept of slaves. But, since Israel wouldn't have listened to him anyway, he tried making laws so that slaves and masters could live in harmony instead. (I hope I'm right here, you might want to ask other christians for their opinions as well, but here's what I think myself).

Also, Jesus somewhere in the Bible said that all the laws in the Bible could be summarized in the two greatest laws, which if you follow you basically follow the other laws of the Bible:
"Love your God with all your heart"
"Love your neighbour as yourself" (In Matthew 22:36-40)
Well, it may just be me, but I think the second law contradicts slavery.

Yeah, the whole Bible is the word of God. And no, we don't just pick and choose; well, at least I hope I'm not. I think choosing the new testament over the old testament isn't picking and choosing, because both relate to two different ages. One without the complete forgiveness of sins, and one with Jesus.

If any other christians are reading, feel free to fill in or correct anything I've said. I hope I answered ur question . Feel free to ask anything else I might have missed out.
  #373    
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
with a capital Y.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrels
EDIT: Also... Andy, no offense, mate, but please don't stick me on the members' list just yet. I'm still divided as to whether joining a group of atheists characterised as an alliance is too provocative for a peace-loving soul like myself. (Who are we allied against, exactly? The 'many wonderful Christians who are fine with the gay thing and support gay rights' - well, no, obviously. But if it's the 'equal or greater number of idiots out there who use their religion as a scapegoat for their bigotry', then should we be using atheism to fight them? Shouldn't it be the Enlightenment Alliance, or the Freedom Alliance, or the Rights Alliance? Because if we're fine with their belief then atheism isn't a weapon - and I don't believe it should be seen as such anyway. It's playing into the hands of those who see us as evil, devious Satan-warriors.)
It's... just a name lol. I am the owner of the club but I wasn't originally, so I can't exactly speak for the intentions of the actual founder. I would venture, though, that it would have had in large part to do with alliteration . It is funny how funny people can get about this sort of thing, though. The original name of the LGBT Club was this ridiculous alphabet soup name (something like The LGBTQIPAAOSGOSCREWYOURSELF Alliance) which I thought was totally ridiculous, so when I took it over I discussed the club name with the group and we decided on "The Rainbow Connection [LGBT Club]" only to talk to a gay guy on MSN who said he didn't feel comfortable posting in it because there was no longer a letter there representing the supporters of the LGBT community. So I had to ask for the name to be changed again... and it suddenly seemed a lot clearer to me why the previous owner went for the silly alphabet soup name... so that nobody had their feelings hurt. So yeah, long and tangential story aside, it's odd how much stock people can put in a name.

That said if anybody is uncomfortable with it, I'm not opposed to a change. I don't think the Enlightenment Alliance is appropriate though, nor the Freedom Alliance because as it still is an atheist club, it would imply that Christians are unenlightened or not free, which would rub them the wrong way. Rights Alliance isn't exactly right for what we actually discuss here, either .

It's up to you whether you want to join, but we would love to have you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPhoenix
...I'm trying real hard not to lash out, but can you not say something as offending as that? I realize this is an Atheist club, but that doesn't mean you have to say something like that...
Noted - I guess my humour isn't for everybody. It's interesting though, Savage might be saying that exact same thing right now!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat


Last edited by Sodom; April 30th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
  #374    
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanFlame View Post
*I'm not atheist but I have a question:*
-What's the difference between being an atheist and not having a religion?-
It depends on the person.

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in god(s). This may be an active belief ("There are no gods therefore I do not believe them.") or a passive one ("I can't be sure there are gods or not so I can't believe in them.")

Not having a religion is not always the same thing. Some people are "spiritual" and believe in higher powers without specific doctrines/rules of religion. Then of course there are atheists who generally don't have religion, although a few people do attend religious services because of social/cultural reasons even if they don't believe in the spiritual.

deviantart blog pair
  #375    
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Noted - I guess my humour isn't for everybody. It's interesting though, Savage might be saying that exact same thing right now!
I think that's why I have such an easy time posting here vs the Christian Club(which I just tried to find, and I guess it's closed now anyway.)... I just said lolkthxbai and moved on when I read that. Didn't phase me, lol. Although, I am much more down to earth than most Christians I think... when you think about it, the Bible has accomplished three things. Lots of wars, lots of discrimination, and helping people go to heaven... and for someone who doesn't believe in heaven, that's not a very good track record.

That said, it's humans that are actually causing those things, not the bible itself. They just use it as their excuse. I imagine things wouldn't be too different without it. Assuming there would be any things without it in the first place. :P
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon


Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:44 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.