The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #2676    
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungKnowledge View Post
Thank you guys for the welcome.
@Shining Raichu I compelety understand were you come from.
One of the true reason I don't label myself is because they are so many young women in my hometown that say they are bi or whatevea and are truly not. Then they end up hurting someone really bad because it was just a game to them. I honestly don't want to be label with girls like them.
Oh I most definitely get that. I feel bad but whenever a pretty teenage girl calls herself bisexual I never believe her. It's a once-bitten-twice-shy thing, once you have enough girls exposed as liars just trying to turn on boys, it jades you a little on that topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena~ View Post

This just about summarises my thoughts on the matter, actually.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena~
Don't tempt me.
Spoiler:

Calm yo tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I'm kind of irked lately. On another forum some people were posting pics of "hot lesbians hurrhurr" (because they're guys and "lesbians are hot stuff") and I was like "Awesome! LGBT!" because who doesn't want to spread the love? And so I posted this:

Because I thought it was a really artful and pretty picture. And then I had people raging saying I should be banned for posting it, and "that's gross." Etc. I mean.. we're not talking about hormonal 13 year olds or semi-retarded 7 year olds raging. I'm talking about grown adults going "ew." I mean.. what? Are you serious?

Have any of you ever experienced this?
Yeah well... you get that. It sucks, but some straight guys tend to be that way. They are cherry-pickers when it comes to the LGBT community; if it turns them on it's OK but if it threatens their own buff masculinity it's not. There's nothing you can do about it because it just comes from a lack of maturity. Some of them will grow out of it and some of them won't. It's frustrating but if you're gay for long enough you come to accept it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Oh, but if you'd prefer your homophobia with side of religious intolerance I've got another NC story for that about a pastor who thinks we should hit kids with "limp wrists." [link]
.................................................................
.................................................................
.................................................................
.................................................................
.................................................................
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA moron.

This wouldn't be funny if it weren't a demented preacher. If you click the link you can see what a whackjob he is just by looking at him. Nobody's going to take it seriously, so it's good for people to say stuff like this once in a while. You know, for the lols.
__________________

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Reply With Quote
  #2677    
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
ToriSora's Avatar
ToriSora
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Permission to join the club?
__________________
Wake up Leave your hesitation Wake up Time for us to realize Wake up Show appreciation Wake up Time for us to realize
Reply With Quote
  #2678    
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Have any of you ever experienced this? >_> It's just so frustrating IMO.. argh. I wanna smack some sense of respect into these people.
Yeah, all the time. So much so that my first reaction to this post was "well, duh."

That's why there are so many countries that have penalties as high as the death sentence for gay males, and no penalties at all for gay females... and if there are penalties for females, most of the time they're not as severe as those for males.



Edit: Well, if we're all posting yuri now, I guess I'll just leave this here...
Spoiler:
JK they're both boys. trololololol
__________________
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon



Last edited by QuilavaKing; May 4th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2679    
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
In some oddly disturbing news, merely supporting LGBT rights now closes down schools. Apparently we are too far from God to teach people how to speak English.
That is rather disturbing tbqh.

@Kura I love how they're posing all this lesbian content, and when you post gay content, they're all up in arms about it. It's the same type of relationship, just different genders. If you were actually banned, I'd see the others getting banned too. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth >_>
__________________

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman



[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Reply With Quote
  #2680    
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
TornZero's Avatar
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In your pantry, eatin' your delicious cake.
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
I don't seem to have missed much since my last check-in, just double standards and a Republican coming out against same-sex marriage opposition.

Oh, and I'll add this, just because Kura said it was fine.

Spoiler:
Alice Margatroid & Marisa Kirisame, probably the cutest Touhou-related pairing I've ever seen.


I'll add this, too.

Spoiler:
The genderswaps of Hatsune Miku and Megurine Luka make a nice pair, don't you think?
__________________

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Reply With Quote
  #2681    
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
They are cherry-pickers when it comes to the LGBT community;
I read this bit wrong the first time Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Permission to join the club?
WELCOME! :D Have a cupcake, it comes with optional sprinkles and rainbows.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2682    
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Permission to join the club?
Granted! Shining Raichu will add you to the list (if he hasn't already). Care to share what made you interested in joining? You don't have to, of course. If you'd rather pretend I never asked then that's fine. But if you are comfortable sharing it's nice to hear people's stories.

@Kura: I wish there were some better explanation for their behavior, but they're just immature boys who live in a man's world where they never have to think about things outside their narrow views of life. What you did when you saw their thread was perfectly rational: you saw support for same-sex couples. But if you put your straight-boy-glasses on you'd see it wasn't about that at all, that the fact that they're gay is only incidental and it was just an excuse to look at girls as something that's pleasing to them. Not knocking people looking at things, you understand. Yeah. I'm loosing my train of thought now.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #2683    
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
U.Flame's Avatar
U.Flame
Brony Hacker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sapphire City in future Hoenn
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I'm kind of irked lately. On another forum some people were posting pics of "hot lesbians hurrhurr" (because they're guys and "lesbians are hot stuff") and I was like "Awesome! LGBT!" because who doesn't want to spread the love? And so I posted this:

Because I thought it was a really artful and pretty picture. And then I had people raging saying I should be banned for posting it, and "that's gross." Etc. I mean.. we're not talking about hormonal 13 year olds or semi-retarded 7 year olds raging. I'm talking about grown adults going "ew." I mean.. what? Are you serious?
So now I'm just pissy. It's like.. what the heck. It's okay to post girls kissing and not this? These guys aren't even kissing! What's so bad about gay guys? Is it really more socially acceptable to be a lesbian because according to some immature buttholes it's "hot"? Ugh it just makes me rage.
Man I'm not here to knock lesbians at all. Seriously. Post all the lesbian pictures you want; I don't care. I embrace it and I think it's awesome, too. Free love FTW!! But don't cry a river when someone brings up something gay. It's so hypocritical it's not even funny.

Have any of you ever experienced this? >_> It's just so frustrating IMO.. argh. I wanna smack some sense of respect into these people.
Yep, I've experianced that frustration too. It's terrible! That's why I like to troll homophobes in my school by "hitting on them". The results are hilarious and I've had rumors about my sexuality for a long time so my reputation is really unchanged. ^_^
__________________
Got an old laptop for hacking! With my IPod for Internet, my sister's laptop for transferring, and now this functional laptop for hacking, I'm back in the game!

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Reply With Quote
  #2684    
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
ToriSora's Avatar
ToriSora
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Granted! Shining Raichu will add you to the list (if he hasn't already). Care to share what made you interested in joining? You don't have to, of course. If you'd rather pretend I never asked then that's fine. But if you are comfortable sharing it's nice to hear people's stories.
Well its odd but not sure what I am. Like I would rather be with boys (relationships) but hang outwith more girls and feel more comfy with them then with boys. Plus I like cute stuff and don't like people referring to me as dude boy man etc. So not sure what I am but felt it would be good to join
__________________
Wake up Leave your hesitation Wake up Time for us to realize Wake up Show appreciation Wake up Time for us to realize
Reply With Quote
  #2685    
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Lateon's Avatar
Lateon
The Eon Follower
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York... Small town, not the city.
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
When I was in high school I did a bomb presentation on pros/cons of gay marriage. Being from a very republican area, I got a ton of comments such as "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" and "If my kid said they were gay I wouldn't accept it" but the one that took the cake was the "redneck" kid saying "I'm okay if I see two girls dancing and kissing together, but two guys is gross." Double standard much?

Sometimes I wish gay kids upon people that are homophobic, but then I feel bad for the poor kids that would probably end up unloved and with low self-esteem.
__________________



Forum Activity
Wifi Activity


Currently Working On




Reply With Quote
  #2686    
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Well its odd but not sure what I am. Like I would rather be with boys (relationships) but hang outwith more girls and feel more comfy with them then with boys. Plus I like cute stuff and don't like people referring to me as dude boy man etc. So not sure what I am but felt it would be good to join
Hey welcome! You have indeed been added to the list

I'm gay and I'm much the same. Physically and romantically attracted to boys only, but in general I am more comfortable around girls and about 90% of my friends are girls. It's quite common to see gay guys hang around more with girls than guys because often they have more in common with girls than with straight guys. I also have a huge issue with people calling me a 'man' (though boy and dude don't bother me) so based only on the information you've given, I diagnose you as gay

But I'm not a homo doctor, it is something you'll have to figure out yourself XD
__________________

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Reply With Quote
  #2687    
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
-ty-'s Avatar
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateon View Post
Sometimes I wish gay kids upon people that are homophobic, but then I feel bad for the poor kids that would probably end up unloved and with low self-esteem.
I feel the exact same way. The reason why I would like homophobic people, or really, anyone who votes against same sex rights, to have gay children/siblings is so that they understand the sentiments of gays as human. Most people who are homophobic do not have a close relationship with a gay person. Studies show that the closer one is to a gay person, the more likely they are to vote for same-sex rights and have more acceptance of gay people. A testament to this is Dick Cheney; he now is an avid supporter for same sex marriage and the DADT repeal, he once favored "traditional marriage", DADT, and even the exclusion of women in the military. The same is true for transphobia. However, there is that chance that the children/siblings may be rejected from the family, and if not, they still will have to endure the long process of acceptance.

To sum it up, it's better for the gay community, and it's worse for the individual.

I haven't been that active on this thread for a while now, but I had a question lingering in my thoughts:

How would you distinguish dating standards (not including hook-ups) of gay men and straight men (If at all)?


(Not including lesbian, bisexual, and transgender, since there might be significant differences of opinions among the sentiments of all the LGBT groups, although by all means, you can include a separate explanation for another group.)


I only ask because I have made the generalization that most gay men have higher standards for appearance, whereas straight men have slightly lower standards. Also, it seems like gay men have much higher standards as far as career ambitions, salary, and other financial factors go. I think the reason might be that more straight men want to be the "bread-winner", whereas most gay men either want to be taken care of (YIKES) or contribute equally. I sometimes think that some gay men feel like they need to date someone who is a "great catch" in all respects in order to get better validation by parents and friends. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes this is a bad thing. For one, gay men often have unrealistic expectations and let decent guys go, to see if there is something better out there, more so than I think straight men do.

So, therefore, to me, it seems like gay men have higher standards for long-term dating. Although, I'd say proportionally less gay men desire long-term dating. I would say that the assumptions and generalizations come from my own bias sentiments as well as others I know, but I do acknowledge we are not all the same, no matter what skin tone, ethnicity, gender, or religion we are. So what are your thoughts?
__________________

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!


Last edited by -ty-; May 4th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2688    
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateon View Post
When I was in high school I did a bomb presentation on pros/cons of gay marriage. Being from a very republican area, I got a ton of comments such as "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" and "If my kid said they were gay I wouldn't accept it" but the one that took the cake was the "redneck" kid saying "I'm okay if I see two girls dancing and kissing together, but two guys is gross." Double standard much?
Go kick them in the crotchal area for me prtyplz

It's sad how people are like that I mean I understand if you hate gays but pleeaaase make up a good reason. The Old Testament is not The Constitution and even that's not very important. Besides Adam and Eve were made because they needed to spread the human population to survive, and frankly Adam and Steve just wouldn't last long enough for more than two people to exist.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #2689    
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph
I mean I understand if you hate gays
You do? Care to explain it to me?

How would you distinguish dating standards (not including hook-ups) of gay men and straight men (If at all)?

The first thing that springs to mind is that gay men prefer men while straight men prefer women.

As far as looks are concerned, I've actually found gay guys and straight guys to be about equal. Everybody wants somebody good-looking. In my experience straight men (at least the ones who are hot themselves) want the 'hot chicks' and will refuse to date anything they deem 'below their level'. Of course I've noticed that in the gay community too. I think it's an age thing; a sign of immaturity more than a sign of culture differences between communities.

As far as ambition and success, I honestly have no frame of reference. I've never gotten serious enough about anybody for that to even become a concern and neither have my straight friends. I wasn't even aware that this was an actual concern outside of Sex and the City.
__________________

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Reply With Quote
  #2690    
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Well its odd but not sure what I am. Like I would rather be with boys (relationships) but hang outwith more girls and feel more comfy with them then with boys. Plus I like cute stuff and don't like people referring to me as dude boy man etc. So not sure what I am but felt it would be good to join :)
We're glad you did join. Whoever you are you'd be welcome. And of course only you can really know who you are, but I can't help but see something a little trans in how you describe yourself, but that's probably because I'm trans myself. Shining Raichu sees something a little gay in the same thing and I bet someone else would see something else entirely lol.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #2691    
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Oryx's Avatar
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
I see unicorns!

It's just kind of unfortunate that people have to label themselves. Like I understand if someone feels like they want to self-label, so they understand themselves better if they fit into a category. But at some point, if someone isn't straight, they're going to be asked what sexuality they are and if they're not comfortable labeling I can just imagine that being really out of line. :( Idk do other people think knowing who you are almost always involves labeling so it doesn't matter? Or is that a legit problem?
__________________
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
Reply With Quote
  #2692    
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM
ToriSora's Avatar
ToriSora
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
We're glad you did join. Whoever you are you'd be welcome. And of course only you can really know who you are, but I can't help but see something a little trans in how you describe yourself, but that's probably because I'm trans myself. Shining Raichu sees something a little gay in the same thing and I bet someone else would see something else entirely lol.
Could I be a gay trans? I don't know if thats odd to say. But is that possible for someone?
__________________
Wake up Leave your hesitation Wake up Time for us to realize Wake up Show appreciation Wake up Time for us to realize
Reply With Quote
  #2693    
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Magdalena~'s Avatar
Magdalena~
Feel the hnnnnggg
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Magdalena~
How would you distinguish dating standards (not including hook-ups) of gay men and straight men (If at all)?
I honestly didn't notice a large-scale difference between the two, but perhaps that's my chronic cluelessness at work.anyway, when I think about it closely, I seem to think that in same-sex relationships, the people involved usually have more in common with each other, unless it's a dominance relationship. Of course, this could obviously stem from the fact that the two people are not the opposite sex as opposed to dating standards, but nonetheless it's something *I think* I've noticed.
As far as appearance, I agree with Rai--straight men want good looking partners too.

Sorry, I don't really have a lot of situations to compare on this. (Most of my LGBT friends--myself included--are polysexual and actually in opposite-sex relationships right now. xD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
We're glad you did join. Whoever you are you'd be welcome. And of course only you can really know who you are, but I can't help but see something a little trans in how you describe yourself, but that's probably because I'm trans myself. Shining Raichu sees something a little gay in the same thing and I bet someone else would see something else entirely lol.
I'll have to side with Scarf on this one. I definitely heard something "trans" about what LoriSora said, but in the end it depends how you feel and what you think you are.
That being said, if you have the means to make yourself without hurting others without knowing exactly what "term" fits you, then there's no need for a term at all. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I see unicorns!

It's just kind of unfortunate that people have to label themselves. Like I understand if someone feels like they want to self-label, so they understand themselves better if they fit into a category. But at some point, if someone isn't straight, they're going to be asked what sexuality they are and if they're not comfortable labeling I can just imagine that being really out of line. :( Idk do other people think knowing who you are almost always involves labeling so it doesn't matter? Or is that a legit problem?
I know a few people who simply don't know what name they fit under so it's kind of uncomfortable for them to be asked their sexuality. I personally don't see the issue with labelling (a very leniently used word) in and of itself--the problem is people who think they need to fit others into strict categories and not allow any wiggle room at all.
But terms aren't really that hard to come by, as you can see by looking at the list on the first post of this thread. I think the people who have real problems are the people who think they absolutely need terms or they'll never be happy. If someone asked me my sexuality and I didn't have such a quick answer ready, I would just simply say to them "I like lots of things". If they're not satisfied with the answer, that's just too bad. xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Could I be a gay trans? I don't know if thats odd to say. But is that possible for someone?
If you're trans, it wouldn't be gay to be attracted to men--it would be "straight" so to speak.
__________________
#167: Spinarak - The String Spit Pokémon
Bug/Poison ~ Bug eggs
1'08" ~ 18.7lbs ~ 50/50

It lies still in the same pose for days in its web,
waiting for its unsuspecting prey to wander close.

Abilities: Swarm or Insomnia or Sniper
Moves: String Shot, Scary Face, Shadow Sneak, Pin Missile
Locations: Routes 2, 30, 31, 37 (night)
Cry
Other names:

jp: イトマル (Itomaru)
de: Webarak
fr: Mimigal
ko: 페이검 (Pe'igǒm)

Last edited by Magdalena~; May 5th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2694    
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Could I be a gay trans? I don't know if thats odd to say. But is that possible for someone?
Well, if you're transsexual, it means that you are the opposite gender inside of what you are on the outside. Most trans people think of their inside gender as who they really are, meaning that if you're male on the outside, female on the inside, and like boys, you're actually straight, and if you like girls, then you'd be gay. (Terrible explanation is terrible.)

But yeah, it's possible to have just about any combination of sexuality/gender identity.


It's also possible to have both genders, no gender, or something in between. You don't have to be just male or female.
__________________
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon


Reply With Quote
  #2695    
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I see unicorns!

It's just kind of unfortunate that people have to label themselves. Like I understand if someone feels like they want to self-label, so they understand themselves better if they fit into a category. But at some point, if someone isn't straight, they're going to be asked what sexuality they are and if they're not comfortable labeling I can just imagine that being really out of line. :( Idk do other people think knowing who you are almost always involves labeling so it doesn't matter? Or is that a legit problem?


I just wanted an excuse to post that.

But in response to your question I think we all have a backup label for ourselves because sometimes you can't really explain who you are to someone very easily and you have some reason you want to. Like most of the time I don't bother mentioning a lot of stuff about myself because it's not really important, but when I do I'm always half expecting I'll need to figuratively pull out a dictionary so I can have all definitions ready in case someone either doesn't get it or is just more curious that most. In my own head I don't usually think of myself as "trans" or other things though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriSora View Post
Could I be a gay trans? I don't know if thats odd to say. But is that possible for someone?
Well, if you where physically male and attracted to guys and also felt your identity was more female then you would be straight (a girl attracted to a guy), but there are plenty of trans people who are gay, bi, etc. so it's not that weird even if it's not that well known outside of these circles.

Edit: ninja'd while wasting time watching youtube videos
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #2696    
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Personally I find labels incredibly helpful. I've never had a problem with labels or the practice of labelling and I wish people wouldn't be so hesitant to accept them. While I appreciate the validity of the "I am who I am, I like who I like" school of thought, I can't help but feel that unwillingness to adopt a label to describe who you are is just buckling under the pressure of the stigma that bigots put into them. It sort of feels like we're being scared out of the lingo that we use to define us, and that feels like a win for them.

Saying "I'm a guy and I like guys" and "I'm a gay/homosexual man" are essentially the same thing. "Gay" and "homosexual" are just words that have been invented to describe the former. To use the former in an active attempt to avoid labelling may seem bold and progressive in a world where our main goal is to train everybody in the art of apathy, but it just looks shame-based to me. It feels counterproductive to the point we're trying to make because we are trying to teach people to either accept or not care about who we are, but it sends mixed messages if we're not even willing to use the words ourselves.

I'm gay. That's the word I've been given to describe who I am and I use it without shame. I won't be forced into dropping that word because you have attached connotations to it that do not necessarily fit me. I'd prefer to let you get to know me and change your mind about the word instead of changing the terminology I use to make you more comfortable. Because if I'm changing myself to evade your perceptions instead of remaining stagnant and forcing you to change your perspective, then I'm giving you the balance of power. I'm not going to do that, because bigots like you have had that power for long enough.

That's how I see labels anyway. It might be different for people whose labels are less clean-cut than mine, though.
__________________

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat


Last edited by Sodom; May 6th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2697    
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
And once again, my point of people thinking they are trans just because they don't fit straight stereotypes arises ;_;.

I'm with Andy on this, after all my best friends (and many of my gay friend's circles) revolve around girls. It isn't because we are girls, it's simply because girls tend to be more understanding of gay men.


---

As to labels, whilst I think it's a good idea to have an answer to the 'who do you like?' question I don't like the idea of complicated labels. Just because you say to someone you are gay doesn't mean you have to 100% fit the idea of what 'gay' is.

Example: If you are a homo-romantic asexual: 'gay' is perfectly fitting. 'Homosexual' may not be, since it implies sexualness but there is nothing wrong with 'gay' and nobody is going to be confused.

These complicated labels just make things so specific, I'd prefer the much broader boxes with the blurred line.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2698    
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Magdalena~'s Avatar
Magdalena~
Feel the hnnnnggg
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Magdalena~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Personally I find labels incredibly helpful. I've never had a problem with labels or the practice of labelling and I wish people wouldn't be so hesitant to accept them. While I appreciate the validity of the "I am who I am, I like who I like" school of thought, I can't help but feel that unwillingness to adopt a label to describe who you are is just buckling under the pressure of the stigma that bigots put into them. It sort of feels like we're being scared out of the lingo that we use to define us, and that feels like a win for them.

Saying "I'm a guy and I like guys" and "I'm a gay/homosexual man" are essentially the same thing. "Gay" and "homosexual" are just words that have been invented to describe the former. To use the former in an active attempt to avoid labelling may seem bold and progressive in a world where our main goal is to train everybody in the art of apathy, but it just looks shame-based to me. It feels counterproductive to the point we're trying to make because we are trying to teach people to either accept or not care about who we are, but it sends mixed messages if we're not even willing to use the words ourselves.

I'm gay. That's the word I've been given to describe who I am and I use it without shame. I won't be forced into dropping that word because you have attached connotations to it that do not necessarily fit me. I'd prefer to let you get to know me and change your mind about the word instead of changing the terminology I use to make you more comfortable. Because if I'm changing myself to evade your perceptions instead of remaining stagnant and forcing you to change your perspective, then I'm giving you the balance of power. I'm not going to do that, because bigots like you have had that power for long enough.

That's how I see labels anyway. It might be different for people whose labels are less clean-cut than mine, though.
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. I don't go as far as the people who say "I'm against labels" (like I said the word is used too loosely) but at the same time you don't have to have one word to describe yourself as in order to know what you truly are and how to be happy. I have no problem calling myself transsexual, or pansexual, or demisexual or gender fluid, even though my situation is a lot more complicated than that and can't be perfectly accurately described even by all of those words combined. But to anyone who has trouble with terms like that and can't figure out "hmmm, should I consider myself pansexual or gender fluid or what? I'm not sure! What do I do!", I simply say, "it doesn't matter. You don't need simple words if you don't want them."
So yes, personally I like labels too. However at the same time I don't think they're always necessary and while I would be wholly against doing away with them completely, they don't work for some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
And once again, my point of people thinking they are trans just because they don't fit straight stereotypes arises ;_;.

I'm with Andy on this, after all my best friends (and many of my gay friend's circles) revolve around girls. It isn't because we are girls, it's simply because girls tend to be more understanding of gay men.
I don't think ToriSora said anything about being trans. Scarf and I simply pointed out he may be gender variant in some significant way. The reason I brought up the whole label thing was just because he seemed unsure and I wanted to convey the feeling of "no big deal, as long as you can be happy without hurting others". Also I didn't have in mind the fact that he hangs out more with girls--moreso the idea that he doesn't like being called guy/boy/man. Obviously that doesn't automatically make him trans, but I was just pointing out the possibility is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
As to labels, whilst I think it's a good idea to have an answer to the 'who do you like?' question I don't like the idea of complicated labels. Just because you say to someone you are gay doesn't mean you have to 100% fit the idea of what 'gay' is.

Example: If you are a homo-romantic asexual: 'gay' is perfectly fitting. 'Homosexual' may not be, since it implies sexualness but there is nothing wrong with 'gay' and nobody is going to be confused.

These complicated labels just make things so specific, I'd prefer the much broader boxes with the blurred line.
I also like the blurred lines. :3 I kind of need them to describe myself with any accuracy, actually. xD
__________________
#167: Spinarak - The String Spit Pokémon
Bug/Poison ~ Bug eggs
1'08" ~ 18.7lbs ~ 50/50

It lies still in the same pose for days in its web,
waiting for its unsuspecting prey to wander close.

Abilities: Swarm or Insomnia or Sniper
Moves: String Shot, Scary Face, Shadow Sneak, Pin Missile
Locations: Routes 2, 30, 31, 37 (night)
Cry
Other names:

jp: イトマル (Itomaru)
de: Webarak
fr: Mimigal
ko: 페이검 (Pe'igǒm)

Last edited by Magdalena~; May 6th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2699    
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Lateon's Avatar
Lateon
The Eon Follower
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York... Small town, not the city.
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
Off the topic of labels and more into news, but I wanted to share this link with you guys:
18 Worst Anti-LGBT Moments of the week.

This applies more to the US, but some of the stories are amusing in a sad way. My favorite is the one where one million moms is protesting JCP because of the same-sex couple pictured in the mothers day ad- really? If it's that big a problem, don't shop there. Enough people shop there that losing you is no big deal and probably would make my shopping experience better. The amount of times I've been through the mall holding my wife's hand to head over there and had people cross to the other side of the hallway... ugh.
__________________



Forum Activity
Wifi Activity


Currently Working On




Reply With Quote
  #2700    
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Sodom's Avatar
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Numbers 6 and 9 were the worst; holy crap. But what I find more disturbing is that there were eighteen anti-LGBT moments just this week, and those are only the ones that were considered bad enough to make that list.
__________________

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.