The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quixote
Pokemon Researcher

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcoronawing649 View Post
I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones _____________________________________________________________________

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too...
Honestly, the "ur not pokeman fan if u dun liek all of da pokemanz" argument is really flawed. I'm a fan of the Atlanta Falcons football team and I don't like all the players on the team. I can criticize one of the players saying that they shouldn't be a player, doesn't make me any less of a fan. I believe it actually makes you a true fan.
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Count

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayutac View Post
Wandering garbarage is stupid? So is wandering dirt. We are just more used to the wandering dirt.
This is very well said.

We're very often let down by new pokémon. Because they're new. They take some getting used to. Like someone said earlier in this thread, if the first generation were to be new pokémon now, they'd look weird. Maybe not so much because of their designs, but because suddenly there are new pokémon and you have to get used to them being... well, pokémon.
I also think we're just getting more critical towards pokémon's designs, because we are getting older.

Either way there was one pokémon to which my reaction was really something along the lines of "That's a pokémon??" - Herdier. It just looks like a cartoon dog to me. I'm alright with it now though.

3DS FC: 2062-9927-6099
Fairy: Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Frozen
Frosty

I feel that way with a lot of the new Pokemon, like Vanillite. It's an ice cream cone, not a Pokemon. Pokemon were originally based on animals, not inanimate objects like a coffin or an ice-cream cone. :/ While I do like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, the ones that are based on objects just don't seem like Pokemon.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:57 AM
BryGuy Shinigami
Psychic Pokemon Prophet

Send a message via Yahoo to BryGuy Shinigami
What qualifies a Pokemon to be a Pokemon in the first place? It's not animal/plant based cause Gen 1 had Pokemon like Koffing and Muk. At first I hated the new Pokemon except Victini and Snivy and not only was it my least favorite generation of Pokemon, but I feared the Pokemon could decline cause of them. But now I love this gen more than any other. I like Oshawatt, Tepig, the monkey trio, Yamask, Munna, Sandile, and others. I still hate Garbordor cause it disturbs me. But I actually like Trubbish and think it's cute. I really dislike Audino though. But like one comic I read said, we would most likely acted the same if the Gens were reverse. We would go nostalgic on Golurk and Woobat and hated Golem and Zubat.

White: ASHLEY-4298 7627 2928
SoulSilver: BRITNEY-3053 0208 4241
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:37 AM
AngelZodiac
Beginning Trainer

I'd have to say Genesect looks most Un-Pokemon-like. As I once read on a distance forum thread.. "Genesect looks like a digimon reject". I can't say I disagree .-.
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Meloetta, Throh, Sawk, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe don't look like Pokemon to me. As you may know, James Turner designed the Vanillite evolutionary line, which explains why they suck! WHY DID GF GO TO AN AMERICAN(or Canadian, I forget) FOR CONCEPT ART? :( :(

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I feel that way with a lot of the new Pokemon, like Vanillite. It's an ice cream cone, not a Pokemon. Pokemon were originally based on animals, not inanimate objects like a coffin or an ice-cream cone. :/ While I do like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, the ones that are based on objects just don't seem like Pokemon.
Magnemite and Porygon aren't animals. Grimer isn't either. Not all of them are based on animals. But I think gen I just isn't as creative as people make it out to be.

Anyway, the only Pokemon in gen V that bother me are Sawk and Throh. They look strange to me. It's like capturing a red and blue midget or something.

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Anyway, the only Pokemon in gen V that bother me are Sawk and Throh. They look strange to me. It's like capturing a red and blue midget or something.
Same. Those two look so damn annoying! Little karate Pokemon in karate suits! :| :/

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

If Game Freak says it's a Pokemon, then so will I. I'm not going to question where the Pokemon came from or who designed it. People just need to stop comparing the newer generations with the older ones, especially when they say things like "To me, there are only 151 Pokemon."

Digimon and Yu-gi-oh have FAR more creatures than Pokemon does, and no one seems to have a problem with those. If Yu-gi-oh and Digimon can have thousands of creatures, why can't Pokemon?

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Quixote
Pokemon Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post

Magnemite and Porygon aren't animals. Grimer isn't either. Not all of them are based on animals. But I think gen I just isn't as creative as people make it out to be.

The thing is though, is that all of the ones that aren't technically animals in Gen 1 at least had a back story saying that they were exceptions in the Pokemon world.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:15 PM
The Void
Comforter, philosopher, and lifelong mate

Nature: Calm
LOOK AT THE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN PREVIOUS GENS BEFORE COMPLAINING. >.>

Garbodor/Trubbish - Koffing/Weezing - Grimer/Muk
Klink - Magnemite - Bronzong - Beldum
Throh/Sawk - Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop
Genesect - Mewtwo
Meloetta - Celebi

And seriously, the Ice-type Pokemon of this gen are just as weird as the Ice-type Pokemon in the previous gens... what, Vanillite/Vanillish/Vanilluxe are a bunch of stupid Ice-cream cones, you say? Well look at Jynx/Smoochum, they're weirder! I can't even figure out what Snorunt and Glalie are supposed to be...

It's like telling Game Freak 'you aren't creating Pokemon' like they don't know what a Pokemon is... >.>
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Asuf
Dragon Tamer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Asuf
Most Pokemon are based off of animals, elements, substances, etc. These are supposedly what Pokemon should 'look' like. Pokemon based off of objects other then animals are most likely to be hated, such as kling, litwick, trubbish and Vannilite line (just examples). However I like the idea of some Pokemon being based off of objects, it should be seen a little more often.

Old April 20th, 2012, 05:24 AM
pknight96
Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism

Nature: Quirky
I hate when people say they hate Gen V! It annoys me, because all they do is complain that they are either rip-offs of Gen I or not Pokemon at all! Are you going to tell me that Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, and Mewtwo are better designs than JUST the Tao Trio (Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyruem)? Plus, the Musketeers are awesome as well! I can honestly say that I prefer all of Gen V to Gen I, except for starters, Gyarados, and Gengar.

Friend Safari Pokemon: Oddish, Swadloon, Quilladin

My Trade Shop: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324928

This is my OC, Alima! Please be nice to her!

My RP, A Rising Shadow! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326137

OOC Topic: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326431
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
j-ann
Beginning Trainer

It seems like the creators of pokemon lack of inspiration. I don't like the new pokemon either.
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:24 AM
-Grayscale-
I'м α gℓαѕѕ cнιℓ∂...

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknight96 View Post
I hate when people say they hate Gen V! It annoys me, because all they do is complain that they are either rip-offs of Gen I or not Pokemon at all!
I hate Gen V. Get mad about it.

Lol naw just playin'

Although some designs are similar, and I really dislike a lot of certain new Pokemon in Gen V, some of them are very good and I was SO excited to see a freaking Zebra get into the pokemon world. Most of the pokemon are based off of something anyways. Also, it's hard to be original when you have 493 pokemon already, so give them a break.

Still, it would be cool if they went back to simpler designs like first Gen o:

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
Digimon and Yu-gi-oh have FAR more creatures than Pokemon does, and no one seems to have a problem with those. If Yu-gi-oh and Digimon can have thousands of creatures, why can't Pokemon?
Seeing as I often complain about the number of how many pokemon there are, seeing this... my mind = blown. Never thought of it like that. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcoronawing649 View Post
I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones.
I didn't know there was a different between true fans and fans rofl
I think you can criticize something and still be a fan. That's like saying that if I said I didn't like a certain pokemon I wasn't a 'real' fan. Yeahhh, no. If you say and think you're a fan, you're a fan. Edn

Y๏ย ђย๓คภร คrє ๏๒є๔iєภt t๏ ค Ŧคยlt, คrєภ't y๏ย?
}{ deviantArt }{ Old Account }{

Last edited by -Grayscale-; April 20th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Comerion
DGXZ

I agree with what everyone said, although here are some of the worst IMO
-Munna line: Oval with legs?
-Garbodor line: Pile of crap. Literally.
-Audino: even crappier version of Munna/Musharna
-Keldeo: My little pony?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
dreamcatcher
Lump Appraiser

Nature: Naughty
Personally I love all of the Unova Pokémon :3 ...well, almost. I can't stand Simipour and Simisear *shudders* I just can't. They look like Dora the Explorer characters. I cringe every time they pop up on the screen. </3
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
EarthWolfblade
Returning breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to EarthWolfblade
[SIZE="a"]↑

Exactly. I love Unova Pokemon especially Bisharp. I absolutely HATE the monkeys Simisage isn't AS bad but it's still stupid.

Also--

Garbodor is stupid.

So is Muk.

We're just more used to Muk[/SIZE]
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:04 AM
TheAC29
A new adventure begins now

Nature: Modest
Well, a few kinda doesn't look like Pokemon to me
Klink's evolution line is gears the last one is like combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms.
Vanillite's evolution line looks like an ice cream with a cone.
Trubbish's evolution line (I hate to say this) it evolves into garbage.
They kinda ran out of ideas of designs for newer Pokemon for newer generations.

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

Okay, so as one of those purists of sorts who believe Generation I is superior to all the rest, I have to say... I don't understand at all how people can say that they're running out of ideas. Though I don't particularly like some of the new Pokemon and feel they resemble Digimon more, to say that they're running out of ideas? That's ridiculous. If anything, they're getting more creative and a little more complex with their designs (and I think there-in lies the problem for so many people).

My only problem with the new Pokemon are only with a few: Timburr, Gurdurr, Cokeldurr, Throh, and Sawk, because they're way too human for my liking (same reason I dislike Pokemon like the Machop line), Druddigon, Golett, Golurk, Pawniard, and Bisharp. Mainly Bisharp, if I'm going to be completely honest. Those Pokemon (I guess the first five fighting Pokemon aside; I can let them pass) are Pokemon I just don't think should be there. Bisharp is amazing and I think it's really cool and has an awesome design, but as a Pokemon I just don't feel it has a place.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Pikachukid
VOLT TACKLE >:D

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAC29 View Post
Well, a few kinda doesn't look like Pokemon to me
Klink's evolution line is gears the last one is like combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms.
Vanillite's evolution line looks like an ice cream with a cone.
Trubbish's evolution line (I hate to say this) it evolves into garbage.
They kinda ran out of ideas of designs for newer Pokemon for newer generations.
This is starting to get annoying I should've just bolded everything. Klink's last one is combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms really? Take a look at Magnemite, dugtrio, metagross, and weezing they all evolve by joining together pretty much. Just read Metagross's pokedex entries it states that it evolves when they get together and all that theres nothing wrong with Klinkklank and them, they look cool.
Vanillite really? ok yeah he looks weird, but so does jinx and mr mime. smoochum, drowzee and hypno? Meganium? and seriously what is wooper supposed to be? Some are just plain weird but get over it man
And then Trubbish, what's wrong with him? i think he looks pretty cool and so does garbador (and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's saved his name y'all haven't even bothered to learn his name? shame on yall)
And they haven't run out of ideas if they have, they've been run out of ideas i mean all the evolutions are basically just bigger versions of their pre-evolutions just look at Marriland's pokedexes. look at the big picture,

By the way the post about the Pokerus was the best post here I don't even know why people bothered to post after that.

Finished the FR/LG monotype a loooooong time ago. Not that anyone cares though.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachukid View Post
This is starting to get annoying I should've just bolded everything. Klink's last one is combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms really? Take a look at Magnemite, dugtrio, metagross, and weezing they all evolve by joining together pretty much. Just read Metagross's pokedex entries it states that it evolves when they get together and all that theres nothing wrong with Klinkklank and them, they look cool.
Vanillite really? ok yeah he looks weird, but so does jinx and mr mime. smoochum, drowzee and hypno? Meganium? and seriously what is wooper supposed to be? Some are just plain weird but get over it man
And then Trubbish, what's wrong with him? i think he looks pretty cool and so does garbador (and I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone's saved his name y'all haven't even bothered to learn his name? shame on yall)
And they haven't run out of ideas if they have, they've been run out of ideas i mean all the evolutions are basically just bigger versions of their pre-evolutions just look at Marriland's pokedexes. look at the big picture,

By the way the post about the Pokerus was the best post here I don't even know why people bothered to post after that.
I agree with everything in this post, save for Vanillite. You can't argue, a Pokemon based off an ice-cream cone is just too stupid, something unprecedented in Pokemon history. Ice cream Pokemon? At least before this thing came up, Pokemon could have been considered serious, more or less. But Vanillite is just plain old stupid, and I'm not the only one to think so.

As for the rest, all the Unova Pokemon are actually very good :p Really creative and such (:

Old May 9th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
I agree with everything in this post, save for Vanillite. You can't argue, a Pokemon based off an ice-cream cone is just too stupid, something unprecedented in Pokemon history. Ice cream Pokemon? At least before this thing came up, Pokemon could have been considered serious, more or less. But Vanillite is just plain old stupid, and I'm not the only one to think so.

As for the rest, all the Unova Pokemon are actually very good :p Really creative and such (:
For me, I disagree with that. I actually love Vanillite.

It's a cute ice cream whose final evo (Vanilluxe) is tied with Lapras for the highest base stat total of any non-Legendary Ice-type.

I find all the Unova Pokemon creative except for Trubbish, Garbodor, Stunfisk and Druddigon,

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old May 9th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
For me, I disagree with that. I actually love Vanillite.

It's a cute ice cream whose final evo (Vanilluxe) is tied with Lapras for the highest base stat total of any non-Legendary Ice-type.

I find all the Unova Pokemon creative except for Trubbish, Garbodor, Stunfisk and Druddigon,
I don't get why people hate Trubbish and Garbodor. They're trash? Muk's trash. So what? It's creative imo, cause it's like loads of trash came together to make a cuwul Pokemon :p

Stunfisk is awesome like Magikarp is, cause they're funny, lol :p

Druddigon? Seriously? Druddigon is classic awesomeness!

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
Meloetta, Throh, Sawk, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe don't look like Pokemon to me. As you may know, James Turner designed the Vanillite evolutionary line, which explains why they suck! WHY DID GF GO TO AN AMERICAN(or Canadian, I forget) FOR CONCEPT ART? :( :(
Talent is talent, irrespective of what nationality you are. Just because Ken Sugimori is Japanese doesn't mean that every single Pokemon designer from now to the end of time has to be Japanese as well!

Sponsored Links

Advertise here