Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center
Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Forever
let it go

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

Advertise here
So many of us would either know by the way our teams work that we're either pretty good, or not so good at it and need a lot of help (or take other people's teams). How good are you at it? What do you think can be the hardest thing about team building - finding synergy, covering threats, etc? And if you're not so good, why not? Do you take other people's teams and form your own from there? Also to add to this, do you make RMTs of your team often or not much? Discuss!
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
For the most part, Team building and team synergy are two of my stronger points as a battler I think. I do still think I'm a better predictor than team builder, though.
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I'm not bad; but I suck all the time at times. When I just go off Pokemon I want to use my teams turn out rather well tbh, they all strangely have good synergy. But when I follow Smogon movesets and use all tools and such they're always bad. ); But still, team building and synergy aren't my strongest points.
✿ trade thread✿
1349 6159 4149
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
Lol no, I'm horrid when it comes to precise and strategic team building nowadays. Yet strangely enough when I slap something random together like Haxorus, Metagross, Hydreigon, Jellicent, Chandelure, and Conkeldurr for example it usually ends up winning and winning Charlie Sheen style, I know it confuses even me too lol.

Gotta love the high life.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Folly~
Beginning Trainer

I'm usually good at it until I get to the point of gimmick strategies... A lot of times, I'll turn to more generalized pokemon (Like Garchomp or Haxorus for Gen IV and V respectively). Something that also bothers me is that I tend to have more success with in-game pokes than ones that I've EV'd specifically. Types and moves have never been an issue with me though. I'd say that I'm about an average team builder... I'm much better at helping other people make teams of their own.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Yeah, my teams are always chyll and ballin and usually involve a solid defensive core or good plan for victory that works; I hardly ever have to throw away a team anymore.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM
nikesonmyfeet
starmie.

Nature: Naughty
Theres so many pokemon, so many uses for each one, becomes a difficult decision.
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
tj4bigred
Instant Classic

Nature: Quiet
I'm good at building a team that fits well together and can weaknesses and whatnot. I struggle at movesets... I don't like to just use the ones off Smogon because they make me feel... Unoriginal.

My teams usually need to get beat a couple of times before I'll be able to get a better picture of what my team lacks/needs.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Chris41279
Beginning Trainer

I know basically nothing about team building. I only usually played Pokemon, to play casually. I never even knew about competitive battling till i came to PC. Now that i'm here, i want to know more.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Yoshikkko

SUCK at teambuilding. Basically I don't know a thing about synergy, I usually put one or two Pokémon in my team that I really want to use, and then build it around that, checking their weaknesses etc, but that's probably by far not the best way to do it haha.
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
DispenserJustice
Beginning Trainer

My teams grow like a tree from a small seed, in the form of my first team member. After my first member is built the way I like, I build something closely resembling that pokemon's strategy. The next poke I check to see between the two, what I would need in terms of typing or attacking prowess I would need and build from there. I like to abuse cores like a standard Grass Water Fire core (My favorite so far is the Cacturne, Floatzel, Magmortar offensive core in NU which I made) or if I feel my team is weak to Stealth Rocks or Spikes or something, I find a Rapid Spinner that would fit nicely into my team.

If it grows too far away from what I originally had, then I normally will scrap it and start over again later. But when I get a combination of pokes that share a common strategy, then I know I did it right and that the team's ready for battle.
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Sayan
is tightening its focus

Nature: Calm
I'm definitely a better battler than a team builder. But I still manage to make good teams by testing them and continuously making changes. My teams sometimes lack balance between offense and defense. I either build the team around 1 or two offensive pokemon, making it lack synergy at first (untill I come up with the perfect "glue"s to go with them) or I overly emphasize on synergy and countering threats, which sometimes results in me using very defensive spreads and lacking offensive presence. However, I keep on modifying my teams and ultimately they become pretty good.
This signature has been disabled.
Too wide!
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
SoulRed12

Sadly I tend to neglect defensive synergy and focus too narrowly. Usually what happens is I'll throw together a team, win a few rounds, and then lose one battle horribly. Then I'll go back to the team builder and try to add in a pokemon that will be able to counter the pokemon (or combo) that caused me to lose, but it'll usually cause me to lose out on coverage for some other pokemon I would have otherwise had covered. -____-

So I guess I'd say I'm good at putting together a strategy, but horrible at giving the team the support it needs to execute the strategy against a majority of threats.
AKA sr12 on Shoddy!

What pokemon are you...?
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
CalciferFireDmn
Fire Demon

Im a good battler, and i can predict well with a good team that has been made for me. My weakness is building the team. Somehow i always end up with a team super weak to one type like electric or dragon.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
darkfighter
That random guy

I'm usually a good team builder, but I'm always conflicted for the 6th slot in a team. It constantly changes.
Best...Pokemon...Ever.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here