• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

My current team

nikesonmyfeet

starmie.
Years
  • Age 34
  • usa
  • Seen Nov 10, 2012
Rate my team! Please criticize.

[Gen III ]

Alright, got tons of feedback and I've recreated my team.

I'm taking all suggestions, and this is my team now.

Any pokemon replacements, or so are more then welcome, goal is to create the strongest team I possibly can.

Team:

Salamence @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant

Outrage
Brick Break
Earthquake
Fire Blast
68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Blaziken@Leftovers
16 HP / 56 Atk / 240 Sp.A / 196 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass/Ice]
- Sky Uppercut
- ThunderPunch

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll move this to CBC for you. You'll get better advice there, plus that's where this belongs. I don't really have any advice for you, but I wish you the best of luck!

Edit: Looking at this again, your natures are...all over the place. Blaziken you would want Jolly, Adamant, or maybe Mild in your cause since this seems to be a Mix set, and I don't think you need two Fighting Attacks. Umbreon definitely wants to be Careful, though you didn't list what nature it is. That moveset is okay, but vulnerable to Taunt. Starmie doesn't need a Quick Claw. It's a fast Pokemon and doesn't need the help of that item. The moveset is fine, though, whether you replace Psychic or not. Sassy seems weird for a Skarmory. Rash is bad on Mime...it actually has nice special defense. It doesn't need attack, so Modest or Timid would work better. It's also vulnerable to Taunt though. My advice is pretty basic, but lol... :( I'm not much into competitive, but even I can tell these natures are pretty wack. I'm guessing these Pokemon were just caught without regards to natures?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Btw for the future, you'll need to list abilities/natures on all your Pokemon, but anyways!

Put leftovers on Skarmory so it has a way to recover from hits. It doesn't necessarily need a quick claw because it's only there to put out hazards and it can withstand a few hits anyway.

Starmie doesn't need a quick claw because it outspeeds a whole lot of Pokemon anyway naturally. Put leftovers on it and change Psychic to recover as you wanted to further help its sweep.

You don't need two fighting attacks on Blaziken, go for Fire Blast > Blaze Kick for more damage, and Rock Slide > Brick Break to hit flying types.

Probably wouldn't use three psychic types since you're then pretty weak to dark attacks. :( Sooo I would replace probably Lunatone with Lanturn and teach it surf > ice beam. :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm assuming this is Gen V. If it's Gen IV or Gen III, I can change any of my suggestions:

It looks like you're using a Specially Defensive Skarmory. Re-breed for a Careful one. Its EV spread isn't using its good bulk to good effect and it really needs recovery. To show you what I mean, take a look here:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Taunt
Nature: Careful/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/232 SDef/24 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell (Quick Claw is looked down upon in competitive battling)
Ability: Sturdy

Gentle is an absolutely terrible nature to use competitively; it doesn't even benefit Speed or offenses, only the defenses. Use a Timid nature instead, to boost Starmie's good Speed. You can also consider Rapid Spin to clear away entry hazards in your last slot.

While Mr. Mime does make a decent CM-passer, it shares a type with Starmie (Psychic), which leaves both weak to Bug and Dark. Venomoth can be used as a Baton Passer:
-Quiver Dance
-Sleep Powder
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz/Roost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens

If you want to keep Mr. Mime, or if it's a Gen III/IV team, that's fine. But you must change your nature to Timid because Rash detracts from its high Special Defense:
-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass
-Taunt/Substitute/Encore
-Psychic/Charge Beam (latter if Gen IV or V)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SDef/252 Spe
Ability: Soundproof

Give Umbreon a nature that boosts a defensive stat (not Lax or Gentle).

Definitely give Lunatone Ice Beam. Use a Modest or Timid nature with 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe.

Don't use multiple moves of the same type on Blaziken, unless you're using Overheat. In that case, replace Brick Break with Rock Slide. ThunderPunch is an okay option if you're paranoid about Water/Flying Pokemon. Use a Rash/Mild/Hasty/Naive nature and make your own sweeper EV spread.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
Several things...

Starmie is really fast. Having a Quick Claw on it is redundant. Try using Leftovers or even Mystic Water. Skarmory also really appreciates the leftovers healing a bit each turn.

Umbreon should not be using Calm Mind. Put Crunch in the last slot to avoid being Taunt bait.

Mr. Mime should be running Calm Nature. Starmie could be using Modest or Jolly.

You have Blaziken as a Mixed Sweeper, but it's nature decreases Attack. Try a nature that doesn't decrease its attacking stats, and replace Brick Break with Rock Slide. You can also use HP Ice to catch his Dragonite off guard.

To be honest, Lunatone isn't a very good Pokémon. That being said, it can utilize a Calm Mind set using CM/Hypnosis/Psychic/Ice Beam.

nikesonmyfeet

starmie.
Years
  • Age 34
  • usa
  • Seen Nov 10, 2012
@Syndian
Yeah thats pretty correct, I simply caught my pokemon without consideration into there natures. I'm going to be recatching most of my pokemon to get the appropriate nature for there use.

@Forever
Lunatones off my team now, thanks for that. Great points otherwise, thank you!

@PlatiniumDude

Its a gen III team, and I couldn't figure out a better baton passer to starmie. Starmies my strongest sweeper and it covers a large amount of weaknesses but if it cant OHKO a pokemon its usually done.

I'll be rebreeding my Skarmory with that moveset, thank you so much, I completely forgot how clutch taunt is.

Would Venomoth be a good swap instead of Mr.Mime in gen III as well?

Thanks so much!

@tj4bigred I don't see how crunch would help umbreon at all, it has no offensive stats at all. Lunatones kicked off the team thou, it isnt a good pokemon, your right. Thank you

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
@Syndian
Yeah thats pretty correct, I simply caught my pokemon without consideration into there natures. I'm going to be recatching most of my pokemon to get the appropriate nature for there use.

@Forever
Lunatones off my team now, thanks for that. Great points otherwise, thank you!

@PlatiniumDude

Its a gen III team, and I couldn't figure out a better baton passer to starmie. Starmies my strongest sweeper and it covers a large amount of weaknesses but if it cant OHKO a pokemon its usually done.

I'll be rebreeding my Skarmory with that moveset, thank you so much, I completely forgot how clutch taunt is.

Would Venomoth be a good swap instead of Mr.Mime in gen III as well?

Thanks so much!

@tj4bigred I don't see how crunch would help umbreon at all, it has no offensive stats at all. Lunatones kicked off the team thou, it isnt a good pokemon, your right. Thank you

Venomoth didn't have Quiver Dance, which is currently its best Baton Passing option, in Gen III. Make do with Mr. Mime. Oh and before I forget, Roost is a Gen IV move, so Skarmory is stuck with:
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Taunt/Rest
-Drill Peck/Steel Wing
Nature: Careful

nikesonmyfeet

starmie.
Years
  • Age 34
  • usa
  • Seen Nov 10, 2012
Venomoth didn't have Quiver Dance, which is currently its best Baton Passing option, in Gen III. Make do with Mr. Mime. Oh and before I forget, Roost is a Gen IV move, so Skarmory is stuck with:
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Taunt/Rest
-Drill Peck/Steel Wing
Nature: Careful

Thanks! Would there any Pokemon that you would recommend against. I was thinking Blaziken since it cant take a surf or psychic.

EDIT: Added a huge update on the post, first 3 pokemon are the pokemon i'm quite content with. Debating between ludicolo and umbreon.
and then 2 out of a bunch i have

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If you're going for Ludicolo, go for Surf > Dive, since you take two turns to set up and it'll mean you may just basically waste one turn if the opponent switches. :(

On the Pokemon with it: Hyper Beam is a bad attack, it takes two turns to use and the damage really isn't worth it, go for Ice Beam @ Gyarados over it, and Ice Beam also for Nidoking.

Aaand on Jynx, Psychic is of more use to you than Psycho Boost and try Calm Mind to boost the stats.

Anyway, considering 2/3 of your current team is weak to electric, I'd put Nidoking or Lanturn on it for ground or volt absorb. If Lanturn, probably Ludicolo to help it out from grass attacks (and Blaziken to help out the ones w/ bug attacks on your psychic types + Ludicolo), while for Nidoking, Umbreon + Blaziken again for bug/fighting attacks and Umbreon for psychic attacks against Nidoking/Blaziken.

nikesonmyfeet

starmie.
Years
  • Age 34
  • usa
  • Seen Nov 10, 2012
If you're going for Ludicolo, go for Surf > Dive, since you take two turns to set up and it'll mean you may just basically waste one turn if the opponent switches. :(

On the Pokemon with it: Hyper Beam is a bad attack, it takes two turns to use and the damage really isn't worth it, go for Ice Beam @ Gyarados over it, and Ice Beam also for Nidoking.

Aaand on Jynx, Psychic is of more use to you than Psycho Boost and try Calm Mind to boost the stats.

Anyway, considering 2/3 of your current team is weak to electric, I'd put Nidoking or Lanturn on it for ground or volt absorb. If Lanturn, probably Ludicolo to help it out from grass attacks (and Blaziken to help out the ones w/ bug attacks on your psychic types + Ludicolo), while for Nidoking, Umbreon + Blaziken again for bug/fighting attacks and Umbreon for psychic attacks against Nidoking/Blaziken.

Atm, I'm keeping Skarmory, Starmie, and Mr. Mime for certain.

I'm not sure between Umbreon and Ludicolo, since Umbreons baton pass does come in pretty clutch, but Ludicolo is an amazing tank. Maybe even Dusclops since hes also an amazing wall, but I really can't decide.

The last few are pokemon are just pokemon i've already used and found werent to bad, but not sure if they fit with my team.

Any pokemon that could be suggested would be great!

But not entirely sure.

Blazikens weak against flying, ground, psychic, and water which are all really common moves.

Nidoking cant take a surf or psychic with stab.

Laturns volt absorb and ability to confuse and paraylise really makes it a powerful pokemon.

Was thinking of Tyrannitar, but the last time i used him competitively, i used him first, and my team got destroyed by sandstorm more then it helped.

Houndoom since dark/fire would be a great combo and my team could take down the water types before i put out houndoom out.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Dont eve use special moves on Gyarados in any gen, especially not Ice Beam its sp.att is lol. Hyper Beam is terrible too because of the recharge turn it p much gives them a free turn to do whatever they want to you.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Please. Dragon Dance you up your attack and speed with Taunt to shut down status moves etc. Hidden Power Flying for STAB with EQ for coverage.

Blaziken wants Rash and this if you're going mixed

Blaziken@Leftovers
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sky Uppercut
- ThunderPunch

Skarmory wants Whirlwind over Roar to stop soundproof Mr.Mime from being able to pass on you. Rare but notable. Hidden Power Flying or Aerial Ace over Taunt (WW+DP are illegal btw in gen 3) to stop Heracross and foe Taunt Gyarados. Impish Nature with alot of defense is preferable on Skarm.

Jynx wants Sub over Body Slam and Calm Mind over Psycho Boost because it does not get the latter. Lefties over Nevermeltice.

Nidoking wants a Choice Band and Rock Slide over Hyper Beam for coverage.

Last edited:

nikesonmyfeet

starmie.
Years
  • Age 34
  • usa
  • Seen Nov 10, 2012
Dont eve use special moves on Gyarados in any gen, especially not Ice Beam its sp.att is lol. Hyper Beam is terrible too because of the recharge turn it p much gives them a free turn to do whatever they want to you.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Please. Dragon Dance you up your attack and speed with Taunt to shut down status moves etc. Hidden Power Flying for STAB with EQ for coverage.

Blaziken wants Rash and this if you're going mixed

Blaziken@Leftovers
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sky Uppercut
- ThunderPunch

Skarmory wants Whirlwind over Roar to stop soundproof Mr.Mime from being able to pass on you. Rare but notable. Hidden Power Flying or Aerial Ace over Taunt (WW+DP are illegal btw in gen 3) to stop Heracross and foe Taunt Gyarados. Impish Nature with alot of defense is preferable on Skarm.

Jynx wants Sub over Body Slam and Calm Mind over Psycho Boost because it does not get the latter. Lefties over Nevermeltice.

Nidoking wants a Choice Band and Rock Slide over Hyper Beam for coverage.

Alright, just a quick question. Whats dp mean? WW im assuming is world win, but i cant figure out what DP means haha.
But those movesets are beautiful. Would you recommend Nidoking in competitive play in gen III?

My team right now is looking like: Skarmory, Mr. Mime, Ludicolo, Blaziken, Jynx, Gyardos. But not sure if i wanna add Nidoking, or Lanturn on it.

Thank you so much for the help ! Really appreciate the reply

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
DP is drill peck, which is Skarmory's best flying type move in Gen 3.

3 of your Pokemon share weaknesses to bug type moves. You'd want to watch out for Heracross and Scizor, or you can replace Ludicolo with Nidoking. You could use the Electric immunity on your team. Put Rock Slide in over Hyper Beam.

Back