The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.
Search for the text code in a hex editor and locate the pointer to it.
That pointer is likely a normal "message script" command and you ought to find a command for playing the fanfare close to it.

*Sometimes script commands are looked from other script commands, not always ASM

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
GoogleAndroid
Beginning Trainer

Is there a hack of Pokemon Black for any GBA Pokémon game? I can't play a DS emulator all too well and don't really have money to buy a DS, cheap as it is.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Spherical Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Search for the text code in a hex editor and locate the pointer to it.
That pointer is likely a normal "message script" command and you ought to find a command for playing the fanfare close to it.

*Sometimes script commands are looked from other script commands, not always ASM
I tried that, but the ROM didn't point to the message in the conventional sense of the offset reversed + 08. :/
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:58 AM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleAndroid View Post
Is there a hack of Pokemon Black for any GBA Pokémon game? I can't play a DS emulator all too well and don't really have money to buy a DS, cheap as it is.
Do you mean a hack that is exactly the same as Pokemon Black, but for the GBA, or a demake? No to the first, and I think at least a few people are working on doing the second.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old May 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer

Nature: Jolly
What types of tools are available for hacking DS Pokemon ROMs? I’m new to hacking and would very much like to start creating my own ROM Hack. Ideally I’d like to use the newer generation of Pokemon Games to do this. There appears to be a lot of tools for the 3rd generation or GBA games, but what about the DS games, D/P/PL and B/W? Is there a map editor for the DS versions like advance map is for the GBA games?
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFinneganIII View Post
What types of tools are available for hacking DS Pokemon ROMs? I’m new to hacking and would very much like to start creating my own ROM Hack. Ideally I’d like to use the newer generation of Pokemon Games to do this. There appears to be a lot of tools for the 3rd generation or GBA games, but what about the DS games, D/P/PL and B/W? Is there a map editor for the DS versions like advance map is for the GBA games?
We can do everything but edit maps (we can move the buildings however) as of now. Unless you really know what you're doing I think you'll have to stick to gen III.

But if you still want to, you can check out the two basic tools, Tinke and PPRE. Google them. They're not that hard to use, so I think you can figure stuff out from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleAndroid View Post
Why would you want to play that on a GBA anyways? The graphics (especially the cutscenes) are vital to the feel of the game and the GBA can't capture that feel. Go save up money, $200 isn't that hard to scrape up (and especially if you're past he legal working age) if you really try.

could you ····ing not
·

Last edited by dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚; May 8th, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer

Thanks for answering my question droomph. That has been bugging for weeks. I would like to fully edit maps so I will most likely stick with hacking in Gen 3.

My next question is then; where can I find some good palettes that resemble the DS Pokemon games for advanced map? Is there a thread or database for palates somewhere? I’ve found a few online but I don’t want to steal anyone’s hard work and would be more than willing to give credit to whoever created them.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Magic
vulpesvulpesvulpesvulpes

Quote:
Thanks for answering my question droomph. That has been bugging for weeks. I would like to fully edit maps so I will most likely stick with hacking in Gen 3.

My next question is then; where can I find some good palettes that resemble the DS Pokemon games for advanced map? Is there a thread or database for palates somewhere? I’ve found a few online but I don’t want to steal anyone’s hard work and would be more than willing to give credit to whoever created them.
What you could do, fairly easily, is find a screenshot of B/W and put it in a paint-program to work out the RGB values of the colours. Then all you need to do is go into A-Map and change the palette to match B/W.

Moderator of The RPC

PokéLINK

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer

So you're basically saying to recolor the palette already available based on the colors from the B/W image, right?
I also thought of just grabbing a high res image and cutting out squares to make my own palette. I've never made a palette before however and have no idea if that would work.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Quote:
So you're basically saying to recolor the palette already available based on the colors from the B/W image, right?
I also thought of just grabbing a high res image and cutting out squares to make my own palette. I've never made a palette before however and have no idea if that would work.
No, the pallet is actually a sequence of twenty or so numbers. The programs just separate them into squares for easy access so you don't have to enter a number every time you want to use that color. What he was saying was to go look at the RGB values of the colors (there's many ways you can do that, not that hard to find out) and translate them into GBA format.

If you want to make a pallet there's some very good pallet making tutorials on PC, you could search for them. I suggest HackMew's, go look for that.

could you ····ing not
·
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer

K, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
ElBlocko
Beginning Trainer

Hello everyone. I'm trying to hack Gen I for my first Pokemon hacking experience, Red specifically. One thing I'm doing is completely revamping most of the moves and changing types, power, accuracy, etc.

One thing that's stumping me is how Quick Attack is coded to be a priority move. When I look at the move effect, it's "00", meaning that it does damage and nothing else. However, nothing in the move data indicates that it's a priority move, meaning the priority move routine is stuffed away somewhere else in the code. I've also looked around the RAM map without much success, too. I'd like to change a few moves (specifically Bone Club, Comet Punch, and Mist) to be priority damaging moves.

Also, to that effect, what makes SonicBoom and Dragon Rage have set damage? Their effect is "28", which is exactly what Seismic Toss and Night Shade have, only SB and DR are hard-coded for 20 and 40 damage respectively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Where can I find an ASM compiler that isn't command-prompt based?
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Where can I find an ASM compiler that isn't command-prompt based?
The NO$GBA debugger has an option to replace current ASM, as well as making more, without a command prompt.

Old May 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
vanillagfx
Togepi

Alright so I made a remake of little root. How do I add more sprite people to the map?
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
TheOrangePichu
Currently working on new hack

Hello there! This is a question regarding Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor. I was wondering, after I write the sprite to the rom, it looks completely fine. Nothing is messed up, but once I open the sprite again the picture is blank and in-game it looks like a bunch of messed up pixels. Can anyone help with this problem?
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangePichu View Post
Hello there! This is a question regarding Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor. I was wondering, after I write the sprite to the rom, it looks completely fine. Nothing is messed up, but once I open the sprite again the picture is blank and in-game it looks like a bunch of messed up pixels. Can anyone help with this problem?
I'd make sure you aren't writing over something...try writing it to a different offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
Alright so I made a remake of little root. How do I add more sprite people to the map?
What you're hacking would be useful to know...

Old May 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
vanillagfx
Togepi

oh sorry, pokemon emerald.
So yeah is there a way to add or to delete events and player sprites already on there?

Edit: Nvm I had the an old version of advanced map.

Last edited by vanillagfx; May 9th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
TheOrangePichu
Currently working on new hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I'd make sure you aren't writing over something...try writing it to a different offset.

Thank you for your help. Sadly the problem keeps occuring, even if I find free space.
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
What other text editors are there besides Advance Text? For some reason I am unable to unzip that. I can download it okay but it just won't let me unzip it. Same with Advance Trainer.
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
What other text editors are there besides Advance Text? For some reason I am unable to unzip that. I can download it okay but it just won't let me unzip it. Same with Advance Trainer.
I think Advance Text is the only text editor, I'm not sure though. It would be better if you used XSE, Advance Text can mess up your ROM. ;;
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
I think Advance Text is the only text editor, I'm not sure though. It would be better if you used XSE, Advance Text can mess up your ROM. ;;
Okay, I have XSE downloaded and looked through a few tutorials but I can't find how to load up certain text. How would I find certain bits of text like Birch's opening text for example?
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Okay, I have XSE downloaded and looked through a few tutorials but I can't find how to load up certain text. How would I find certain bits of text like Birch's opening text for example?
There is this tutorial linked to my description (that has nothing to do with XSE though).

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
There is this tutorial linked to my description (that has nothing to do with XSE though).
What description? Do you mean those links in your sig?
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Quote:
What description? Do you mean those links in your sig?
Use a scripting program that can look for text and then just look for the phrase "Sorry to keep you waiting!" and then on a text decompiler decompile that offset and change it.

could you ····ing not
·
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links