The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #21226    
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.
Search for the text code in a hex editor and locate the pointer to it.
That pointer is likely a normal "message script" command and you ought to find a command for playing the fanfare close to it.

*Sometimes script commands are looked from other script commands, not always ASM
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #21227    
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
GoogleAndroid
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Is there a hack of Pokemon Black for any GBA Pokémon game? I can't play a DS emulator all too well and don't really have money to buy a DS, cheap as it is.
  #21228    
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Spherical Ice's Avatar
Spherical Ice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Search for the text code in a hex editor and locate the pointer to it.
That pointer is likely a normal "message script" command and you ought to find a command for playing the fanfare close to it.

*Sometimes script commands are looked from other script commands, not always ASM
I tried that, but the ROM didn't point to the message in the conventional sense of the offset reversed + 08. :/
__________________
  #21229    
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:58 AM
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleAndroid View Post
Is there a hack of Pokemon Black for any GBA Pokémon game? I can't play a DS emulator all too well and don't really have money to buy a DS, cheap as it is.
Do you mean a hack that is exactly the same as Pokemon Black, but for the GBA, or a demake? No to the first, and I think at least a few people are working on doing the second.
__________________

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...



  #21230    
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
BlazeFinneganIII's Avatar
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bocca Raton
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
What types of tools are available for hacking DS Pokemon ROMs? I’m new to hacking and would very much like to start creating my own ROM Hack. Ideally I’d like to use the newer generation of Pokemon Games to do this. There appears to be a lot of tools for the 3rd generation or GBA games, but what about the DS games, D/P/PL and B/W? Is there a map editor for the DS versions like advance map is for the GBA games?
  #21231    
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚'s Avatar
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFinneganIII View Post
What types of tools are available for hacking DS Pokemon ROMs? I’m new to hacking and would very much like to start creating my own ROM Hack. Ideally I’d like to use the newer generation of Pokemon Games to do this. There appears to be a lot of tools for the 3rd generation or GBA games, but what about the DS games, D/P/PL and B/W? Is there a map editor for the DS versions like advance map is for the GBA games?
We can do everything but edit maps (we can move the buildings however) as of now. Unless you really know what you're doing I think you'll have to stick to gen III.

But if you still want to, you can check out the two basic tools, Tinke and PPRE. Google them. They're not that hard to use, so I think you can figure stuff out from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleAndroid View Post
Is there a hack of Pokemon Black for any GBA Pokémon game? I can't play a DS emulator all too well and don't really have money to buy a DS, cheap as it is.
Why would you want to play that on a GBA anyways? The graphics (especially the cutscenes) are vital to the feel of the game and the GBA can't capture that feel. Go save up money, $200 isn't that hard to scrape up (and especially if you're past he legal working age) if you really try.
__________________

could you ····ing not
·

Last edited by dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚; May 8th, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
  #21232    
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
BlazeFinneganIII's Avatar
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bocca Raton
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Thanks for answering my question droomph. That has been bugging for weeks. I would like to fully edit maps so I will most likely stick with hacking in Gen 3.


My next question is then; where can I find some good palettes that resemble the DS Pokemon games for advanced map? Is there a thread or database for palates somewhere? I’ve found a few online but I don’t want to steal anyone’s hard work and would be more than willing to give credit to whoever created them.
  #21233    
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
vulpesvulpesvulpesvulpes
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFinneganIII View Post
Thanks for answering my question droomph. That has been bugging for weeks. I would like to fully edit maps so I will most likely stick with hacking in Gen 3.


My next question is then; where can I find some good palettes that resemble the DS Pokemon games for advanced map? Is there a thread or database for palates somewhere? I’ve found a few online but I don’t want to steal anyone’s hard work and would be more than willing to give credit to whoever created them.
What you could do, fairly easily, is find a screenshot of B/W and put it in a paint-program to work out the RGB values of the colours. Then all you need to do is go into A-Map and change the palette to match B/W.
__________________


Moderator of The RPC

PokéLINK





  #21234    
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
BlazeFinneganIII's Avatar
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bocca Raton
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
So you're basically saying to recolor the palette already available based on the colors from the B/W image, right?
I also thought of just grabbing a high res image and cutting out squares to make my own palette. I've never made a palette before however and have no idea if that would work.
  #21235    
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚'s Avatar
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFinneganIII View Post
So you're basically saying to recolor the palette already available based on the colors from the B/W image, right?
I also thought of just grabbing a high res image and cutting out squares to make my own palette. I've never made a palette before however and have no idea if that would work.
No, the pallet is actually a sequence of twenty or so numbers. The programs just separate them into squares for easy access so you don't have to enter a number every time you want to use that color. What he was saying was to go look at the RGB values of the colors (there's many ways you can do that, not that hard to find out) and translate them into GBA format.

If you want to make a pallet there's some very good pallet making tutorials on PC, you could search for them. I suggest HackMew's, go look for that.
__________________

could you ····ing not
·
  #21236    
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
BlazeFinneganIII's Avatar
BlazeFinneganIII
OG Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bocca Raton
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
K, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help.
__________________
  #21237    
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
ElBlocko
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Hello everyone. I'm trying to hack Gen I for my first Pokemon hacking experience, Red specifically. One thing I'm doing is completely revamping most of the moves and changing types, power, accuracy, etc.

One thing that's stumping me is how Quick Attack is coded to be a priority move. When I look at the move effect, it's "00", meaning that it does damage and nothing else. However, nothing in the move data indicates that it's a priority move, meaning the priority move routine is stuffed away somewhere else in the code. I've also looked around the RAM map without much success, too. I'd like to change a few moves (specifically Bone Club, Comet Punch, and Mist) to be priority damaging moves.

Also, to that effect, what makes SonicBoom and Dragon Rage have set damage? Their effect is "28", which is exactly what Seismic Toss and Night Shade have, only SB and DR are hard-coded for 20 and 40 damage respectively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  #21238    
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚'s Avatar
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Where can I find an ASM compiler that isn't command-prompt based?
  #21239    
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Where can I find an ASM compiler that isn't command-prompt based?
The NO$GBA debugger has an option to replace current ASM, as well as making more, without a command prompt.
__________________

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...



  #21240    
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
vanillagfx's Avatar
vanillagfx
Togepi
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Alright so I made a remake of little root. How do I add more sprite people to the map?
  #21241    
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
TheOrangePichu's Avatar
TheOrangePichu
Currently working on new hack
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Hello there! This is a question regarding Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor. I was wondering, after I write the sprite to the rom, it looks completely fine. Nothing is messed up, but once I open the sprite again the picture is blank and in-game it looks like a bunch of messed up pixels. Can anyone help with this problem?
  #21242    
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangePichu View Post
Hello there! This is a question regarding Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor. I was wondering, after I write the sprite to the rom, it looks completely fine. Nothing is messed up, but once I open the sprite again the picture is blank and in-game it looks like a bunch of messed up pixels. Can anyone help with this problem?
I'd make sure you aren't writing over something...try writing it to a different offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
Alright so I made a remake of little root. How do I add more sprite people to the map?
What you're hacking would be useful to know...
__________________

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...



  #21243    
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
vanillagfx's Avatar
vanillagfx
Togepi
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
oh sorry, pokemon emerald.
So yeah is there a way to add or to delete events and player sprites already on there?

Edit: Nvm I had the an old version of advanced map.

Last edited by vanillagfx; May 9th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
  #21244    
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
TheOrangePichu's Avatar
TheOrangePichu
Currently working on new hack
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I'd make sure you aren't writing over something...try writing it to a different offset.


Thank you for your help. Sadly the problem keeps occuring, even if I find free space.
  #21245    
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
What other text editors are there besides Advance Text? For some reason I am unable to unzip that. I can download it okay but it just won't let me unzip it. Same with Advance Trainer.
__________________
  #21246    
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM
chrunch's Avatar
chrunch
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
What other text editors are there besides Advance Text? For some reason I am unable to unzip that. I can download it okay but it just won't let me unzip it. Same with Advance Trainer.
I think Advance Text is the only text editor, I'm not sure though. It would be better if you used XSE, Advance Text can mess up your ROM. ;;
  #21247    
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
I think Advance Text is the only text editor, I'm not sure though. It would be better if you used XSE, Advance Text can mess up your ROM. ;;
Okay, I have XSE downloaded and looked through a few tutorials but I can't find how to load up certain text. How would I find certain bits of text like Birch's opening text for example?
__________________
  #21248    
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
Okay, I have XSE downloaded and looked through a few tutorials but I can't find how to load up certain text. How would I find certain bits of text like Birch's opening text for example?
There is this tutorial linked to my description (that has nothing to do with XSE though).
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #21249    
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CliveKoopa
Kangaskhan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
There is this tutorial linked to my description (that has nothing to do with XSE though).
What description? Do you mean those links in your sig?
__________________
  #21250    
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚'s Avatar
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
What description? Do you mean those links in your sig?
Use a scripting program that can look for text and then just look for the phrase "Sorry to keep you waiting!" and then on a text decompiler decompile that offset and change it.
__________________

could you ····ing not
·
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.