• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Pokemon World Tournament Discussion

Do you like Pokemon World Tournament?

• Yes! I love this new feature!

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • No, I don't like this new feature!

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Maybe, I am not sure I like or don't like this new feature.

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Man I love this idea so much. It's about time they had a tournament element in the Pokemon games! And mixing it with being able to fight all the old gym leaders is just... wow. I'm buzzing for this new game, literally cannot wait after seeing this. x] I hope you have an option of watching their battles too; it'd be really interesting to see a battle like Janine vs Pryce. The two types would compliment each other well for a long saturated battle.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Man I love this idea so much. It's about time they had a tournament element in the Pokemon games! And mixing it with being able to fight all the old gym leaders is just... wow. I'm buzzing for this new game, literally cannot wait after seeing this. x] I hope you have an option of watching their battles too; it'd be really interesting to see a battle like Janine vs Pryce. The two types would compliment each other well for a long saturated battle.
Oh Gym Leader VS Gym Leader, yeah I would really want to see that. I'm just glad that GameFreak are bringing in new features into games, and not just the generic things we expect; because who would expect this at all, even?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
We don't have any confirmed Johto leaders, either. In fact, the only confirmed leader not from Kanto is Volkner. I still think that every leader and champion will appear, though,.

Well maybe they may end up skipping Johto because it's not entirely the parallel of the Unova region and Hoenn because it's too far away, leaving you with just Sinnoh/Kanto... oh God how boring.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Steven is the Champion from Hoenn so there is a Hoenn trainer that shows up, and Janine being there is a Johto relation as Janine wasn't a Gym Leader in the Kanto Series games.

I can see them bringing Red in since he is the Master champion in GSCHGSS and Blue is both a Champion and Gym Leader. They only list a few so we may not even have the full list yet. Maybe the Tournament randomizes which Gym Leader/Champions you fight.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Was Emerald not cannon, or will Wallace appear later as champ...
I'm also starting to think GF is hiding something...Steven has been the only Hoenn character to appear out of that region, I mean HgSs had three Sinnoh cameo's and so far they don't show any Hoenn gym leaders...
Either way I do wonder how many of the gym leaders will appear. Also I want Red to appear too! Maybe he can be the one we challenge after winning the match against the rest...

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
This thread isn't about the Steven/Wallace champion debate, but Wallace might show up and he might not. A full 4-region Gym Leader Castle isn't gonna happen, though.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This is also the first media coverage of the World Tournament. Steven was never a Gym Leader so he's got to be Hoenn's current Champion representing Hoenn. I can see them releasing more info on this next week on Smash.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Kinda happy this is happening but i see a major flaw

Pokemon cant implement this feature into the next few generations because it would be quite redundant(the only new thing would probably be new teams or movesets)

Other than that i LOVE the idea

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wonder what the teams will be for the tournament, actually. Anyone think to follow the theme from B/W's elite four it might be 4 Pokemon per gym leader - then 6 for the champion? Then maybeeee the level increase goes up each region, so say 50 @ Kanto +5 for champ, 60 @ Johto +5 for champ, 70 @ Hoenn +5 for champ, 80 @ Sinnoh +5 for champ.That is of course if they ARE including the other regions' gym leaders. :x

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
This is such a great idea! (which many others have said :P )
But seriously though, I wonder if they are going to include everyone? I'm glad there's going to be more to do post game this time.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Well, my guesses are that

(a) Wallace is a Gym Leader, Steven is Champion, Juan from Emerald is the no-show.
(b) If it's three on three battles as some have speculated, it'll probably be done Tower/Frontier style where their levels are adjusted to match your strongest Pokemon's.
(c) Brackets are probably goign to be randomized if it is indeed everyone.

And I'm going to reiterate, a certain someone really should stay out of this and remain on his little frozen mountain. He's shown up in 10 games already and needs to be given a rest, and since he doesn't speak, he strikes me as the antisocial type who wouldn't want to be in the public eye at an event like this. If he shows up, that could be the final nail in the coffin as far as me buying the games.

blue

gucci
Years
If you notice as the tournament there is only 3 Pokémon per leader/champion etc. so I wonder why it's so limited, it's kind of like a battle frontier in a way.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
There is? I must be blind. :( If Brock is the first one I don't want Geodude, Graveller and Golem. Just saying. :x

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
I don't see why some people are EXTREMELY excited about this. I just think it's gonna be a cool addition to game that may possibly be as boring as it's predecessor once you've beaten it. Anyway, here's what I think.

First off, Giovanni? I like the fact he's gonna show up, but is it gonna spark Maxie/Archie to tag along as well? Heck even Cyrus might show up on his Giratina to crash the party. ;)

I actually think it's likely, that as it has been done in other games before, although the only example I can think of is getting Ho-Oh after beating 100 Mt. Battle trainers...

Red will probably show up, but I'm thinking ONLY after you've beaten several trainers consecutively or something similar.

If the World Tournament repeats, (like, you beat it once and you can do it again) you'd probably have to win the thing consecutively to see him.

If Red was to show up, it might mean the other protagonists would too. Kris, Ethan, Brendan/May, Lucas, heck, even Hilbert/Hilda...

If it's three on three battles as some have speculated, it'll probably be done Tower/Frontier style where their levels are adjusted to match your strongest Pokemon's.
Yes, something did strike me as being a tad "Battle Dome" about this. My guess is it's just a grand version of the Dome. Needless to say if that's the case I'm excited. I loved the Battle Dome and Pike from Emerald.

Pokemon cant implement this feature into the next few generations because it would be quite redundant(the only new thing would probably be new teams or movesets)
This is what I was thinking as well. My only conclusion for this is that Pokemon are going to finish off their Generation with something grand and that will be well remembered before they move on to something better. Because, it's quite clear the next Pokemon game after BW2 will be for 3DS, (you know, seeing as the 3DS is one of Nintendo's Proudest Achievements and Pokemon is it's crown jewel) which will probably mean they're upping the generation to VI.

I imagine the tournament system will be a bit like the Battle Dome in Pokemon Emerald. Although instead of battling with just two Pokemon, you battle with 3 (going by the screens).
After squinting my eyes, I think it'll play out like the original Battle Dome. 1v1, winner faces winner etc. But the fact half the participants are outlined in Red and the other half are in Blue I see your point.

Also, I can't see it too well but on the CoroCoro screens, there look like some more sprites I can't make them out. Yes, I can see the Gym Leader sprites in the Tourney screen but I'm talking about the right hand side, I can't see it too well, but they're probably just more Gym Leaders...

Last edited:

MarioManH

top kek
Years

I kind of agree(To the New Teams + MS Idea), but they can pull off how they did the BF(Same one in Platinum and HG/SS), but it can be that it just got moved to that certain region for that certain time. Also I predict when you first arrive they will say that its in Unova for that certain time period.

Years
I'm loving this feature, I've always liked when the games allow you to rebattle the Gym Leaders again, this way, it's five generations of Gym Leaders and that makes me very happy.

Years
First off, Giovanni? I like the fact he's gonna show up, but is it gonna spark Maxie/Archie to tag along as well? Heck even Cyrus might show up on his Giratina to crash the party. ;)

Except they weren't Gym Leaders, and Giovanni was. The only other Team Whatever member that has any chance of showing up would be N, seeing as he was Champion at one point (at least I think- I haven't beaten B/W yet, but from what I've read he beat Alder, so).

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Except they weren't Gym Leaders, and Giovanni was. The only other Team Whatever member that has any chance of showing up would be N, seeing as he was Champion at one point (at least I think- I haven't beaten B/W yet, but from what I've read he beat Alder, so).
Oh this is true. N could possibly be the new champion of Unova even, if Alder isn't. But if that's the case, then I think Alder should appear in the tournament instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back