The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Nature: Quirky
Not too happy with Cheren's major dressing-down to first Gym Leader... I would have thought he'd have a more lofty position.

And I'm not sure how this whole tourney thing's going to be able to include all the Gym Leaders... it seems a little too ambitious to me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Overlord LeSabre™ View Post
Not too happy with Cheren's major dressing-down to first Gym Leader... I would have thought he'd have a more lofty position.

And I'm not sure how this whole tourney thing's going to be able to include all the Gym Leaders... it seems a little too ambitious to me.
I agree, Cheren went from professional looking to bland. u_u

Oh if Bianca upon her return, hasn't matured a whole lot after two years, that will be upsetting.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I just don't get why Giovanni is returning in B2/W2. In the HG/SS event, didn't he run out of the cave in Tohjo Falls and jump off a waterfall? At first, I guessed that would've killed him, but since he's returning in B2/W2, does that mean he survived?

Old May 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Calm
Well with the mention that events activate the characters it's possible that it may or may not be canonical, also if you notice he has his Gen III look rather than his Gen IV look...
His presence might also be a retcon...
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Forever

Well it could be a Giovanni double :x orrrr his twin, could be something like that to explain the timeline inaccuracy. Otherwise that's the only logical explanation idk :(

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
RedJ
Beluga.

Nature: Quiet
I never understood the whole "GIOVANNI MUST BE DEAD" thing. We never got any solid proof that he was, in fact, dead. And considering that he had three Pokemon on him that could learn Surf, it is entirely possible that that was the sound we heard (although I personally think it was the static from the radio). And besides that, we don't even know if he 'jumped' from anything- for all we know, the cave was on ground level. So, I don't really see anything preventing him from returning.

Old May 14th, 2012, 03:14 AM
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS MAY 1! 000/721

Nature: Relaxed
Same here. I knew from the start that Giovanni didn't really die. This is an E-rated series, they wouldn't kill off a major villain for no reason. As for whether the tournament is canon... it most likely is, due to Cynthia's statements in B/W.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 5804 7602

Just because I have Asperger's, people think I'm stupid.
I'm not. I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requility View Post
Well it could be a Giovanni double :x orrrr his twin, could be something like that to explain the timeline inaccuracy. Otherwise that's the only logical explanation idk :(
I don't see GameFreak doing that, I mean it wasn't actually official/legitimately confirmed that Giovanni died. So maybe he returned to continue from that ending, and he's on to bigger and deeper plans.

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I just don't get why Giovanni is returning in B2/W2. In the HG/SS event, didn't he run out of the cave in Tohjo Falls and jump off a waterfall? At first, I guessed that would've killed him, but since he's returning in B2/W2, does that mean he survived?
Well either B2W2 took place before HGSS (I'm really not too sure what comes after what) but it's also because in RBY/FRLG, Giovanni was a gym leader and it's all the previous regional gym leaders returning, I doubt in a Pokémon game they would kill a character off.

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Giovanni is returning? Thats pretty cool
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Aquarius1997
The Horoscopical Master

Nature: Quirky
How would you all feel if they just brought back the characters without ANY backstory? I mean its really just a battle tornament

Personally i would be pissed but it isnt unlikely that pokemon would do this. Its very likely that the characters wouldnt have any backstories

The Aquarius loves a party. Anytime, anywhere is their motto. It is not unlikely that an Aquarius will consider a wake a good place to meet chicks. Aquarians love to be naked. It is even better if they are naked and crocked. Froot Loops is a very Aquarian cereal. So is Rice Krispies, since it will engage in a friendly chat with the Aquarian as he or she is eating breakfast. Count Chocula is off-limits, however. It belongs to the Scorpios. Aquarians use the phrase "Dude, man..." frequently when describing philosophical concepts. Aquarians have out-of-body experiences on a daily basis. If you are talking to an Aquarian and he or she zones out, consider the conversation hopeless. He or she is talking to the guy three feet away from you. Aquarians are fun because they channel people. Plus, if you tell them to, they will run around naked. Aquarians like astronomy because they've been to all those places. If you want to know what the food is like on Saturn, ask an Aquarius. Aquarians can allow themselves every possible vice on the planet, and don't think twice about it. That is why they piss everyone else off. They are cosmically entitled to do this.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius1997 View Post
How would you all feel if they just brought back the characters without ANY backstory? I mean its really just a battle tornament

Personally i would be pissed but it isnt unlikely that pokemon would do this. Its very likely that the characters wouldnt have any backstories
tbh I really do think that's what'll happen. Like they might say one or two sentences but that's about as much as I can see any of them doing. :(

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

I agree, I don't see them giving much infomation unlike Jasmine, who told us a little about her background. If anyone says much I'll like it to be Steven for obvious reasons...
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

Nature: Lax
I made a mature comment about Bel earlier in the chatroom, but I… find it really awesome that they're back in these games. It doesn't look like a role as major as they had in the previous games, but I'm so glad they didn't pretend like they don't exist. And they've grown!

As for the B/W main characters… you have to hope we find out something about them. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requility View Post

tbh I really do think that's what'll happen. Like they might say one or two sentences but that's about as much as I can see any of them doing. :(
Recent games give you subtle enough hints though.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Gonzo
RNG Sommelier

Nature: Brave
I don't think we'll see any protagonists except Red which plays his role in GSC and remakes. It's very unlikely since in all games we can choose gender. I'm happy our BW Rivals have grown but seeing Cheren with his final team in BW and seeing him as First Gym Leader is awkward. He should be the last leader, e4 member or the Champion.

クリムガン
It races through narrow caves, using its sharp claws to catch prey. The skin on its face is harder than a rock.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

Pair | Family
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
I made a mature comment about Bel earlier in the chatroom, but I… find it really awesome that they're back in these games. It doesn't look like a role as major as they had in the previous games, but I'm so glad they didn't pretend like they don't exist. And they've grown!

As for the B/W main characters… you have to hope we find out something about them. :P

Recent games give you subtle enough hints though.
Yes, that's one of the few things I'm happy about for the duo's return. They seem to have matured, even though Cheren's outfit looks rather shabbier than before. But I never would have allowed Game Freak to not even include those two among the characters they plan to return! And I do wish the two years doesn't just make them forget about the playable protagonist.

Hints like the few lines they speak of, if I remember the usual treatment returning characters get. And it would be too much to ask, wanting back stories for all these returning characters. Honestly, I just want them to pick out a few fitting Gen V Pokémon into their teams and I'll enjoy the rematches.

Regarding the return of the playable character (male or female), I expect at the least a slight mention from Bianca and/or Cheren. It would make no sense if he or she got written out of history when it's supposed to be a sequel of sorts.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

For some reason, one side of me thinks they'll say something about how similar the character's "battling style" is, or some other aspect of them. (Remember, the character is meant to be a hollow representation of you.)

The pessimist in me says that since a lot of video games tend to not mention old characters at all, it's likely the protagonists might not be mentioned at all, either.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Cameo
Superior heat protecter!

Personally I'm a bit annoyed. Not because of the characters hasn't grown the whey we "all" imagined but the way people respond into these things. The most of you seem to think that it's somehow bad that Cheren was made to be the first Gym Leader while it's not at all. That is a clear sign that he has grown from inside too.

If you remember, Cheren was all the time emphasizing power and didn't really seem to understand that it really isn't the key to win. But now as we see him as the first Gym Leader of Unova we can in this case make an assumption that he has finally understand that in order to win you need more than pure power. You need to have a connection with your pokémons and all sorts of stuff like that. And I myself can clearly see him talking about this topic before the player challenges him.

Later on in the game it's more than possible that he can be rebattled and then he has his sort of the real team with him.

And what comes to the tournament, I am definitely happy to see Giovanni in there. All the other Gym Leaders are good but Giovanni is different. His dark, mysterious and he surely will put up a good fight. But personally I don't see for example Red returning.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

The fact Cheren's got a different team would sorta enforce the implication that Gym Leaders have been maintaining several teams. I wonder why we've never been able to battle them… hah!

From the sound of it, you're his first Gym challenge.

That's Our Switch.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Personally I'm a bit annoyed. Not because of the characters hasn't grown the whey we "all" imagined but the way people respond into these things. The most of you seem to think that it's somehow bad that Cheren was made to be the first Gym Leader while it's not at all. That is a clear sign that he has grown from inside too.

If you remember, Cheren was all the time emphasizing power and didn't really seem to understand that it really isn't the key to win. But now as we see him as the first Gym Leader of Unova we can in this case make an assumption that he has finally understand that in order to win you need more than pure power. You need to have a connection with your pokémons and all sorts of stuff like that. And I myself can clearly see him talking about this topic before the player challenges him.

Later on in the game it's more than possible that he can be rebattled and then he has his sort of the real team with him.

And what comes to the tournament, I am definitely happy to see Giovanni in there. All the other Gym Leaders are good but Giovanni is different. His dark, mysterious and he surely will put up a good fight. ^_^ But personally I don't see for example Red returning.
But did he have to return with a PATRAT? Surely enough from experience with strong Pokémon and his own team, he'd know that it is so weak. It won't give any challenge in the game, seriously. If he had to portray any sort of connection with Pokémon it didn't have to be that one, I mean c'mon. u_u Patrat does not portray power.

Old May 15th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

Clearly he sees the importance of not showing his true power to you. You are just a scrub beginning trainer, after all.

That's Our Switch.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Or maybe he's using the fact that Patrat isn't all impressive in battle as a way to exemplify that connection with your Pokémon is more important than its perceived power. As said by Cameo. Who knows, maybe the Patrat gets a really good TM or something.

And he didn't have much unused (by Lenora) Gen V Normal-types to choose from, I guess? Wait, this is B2/W2, Pokémon are not supposed to be restricted by Unova's former natives. And right, Audino, Minccino and Bouffalant are available too.
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
I would have expected for Cheren to be higher up than the first, maybe the 5th atleast but it's kind of a let down really.

Old May 15th, 2012, 04:23 AM
RedJ
Beluga.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaori View Post

But did he have to return with a PATRAT?
Sure, if it knows Retaliate ;;

Also, is Patrat confirmed to be all he has on his team, or even what he has when you battle him for your Badge? Because if not, it's possible that he could be all "Oh, you're a new trainer, eh? Let's see what you've got!" and then afterwards, "Cool, OH by the way I'm a Gym Leader, come by later for srsbiz." Or something like that.

Old May 15th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

By the way, if it's any consolation, Cheren does outright state that he's battling as a Gym Leader for the first time. :P

That's Our Switch.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links