• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Culture & Media Trivia Night!

Years
Culture & Media Trivia Night

Welcome to C&M's Trivia Night where you can flex your cultural and medial (?) muscles in a fun competition with you fellow members.

What Is This?

It's a quiz game that you, yes you! can play right here, right now, to win fame and fabulous prizes*.

How To Play

There will be five rounds of trivia which will quiz your knowledge of various trivial things. All the questions will be audio/visual in nature to cut down on the temptation to simply Google answers. Still, if you have some fancy way to cheat, please don't.

Each round will have a number of questions. You get one point for each correct answer. The winner is the member with the most points. If your answer is close enough to the right one you'll get the point since this is for fun, but if it's not clear what your answer is then, sadly, you will not get the point.

For this event there will be five rounds: Famous Faces, Cartoons, Scenes From A Movie, Travel, and Musical Mystery. There will be a handy sheet you can (and should) use when sending in your guesses at the end of the questions.

Please send your guesses to me, Scarf, and NOT to Mr Cat Dog. Only ones that I receive will be scored and count.

If you would like to play as a team that's OK, but you have to come up with a team name and a list of who's on the team just for the record. Post in the thread who your team is so we can all see. Also, decide among yourselves who will be your submitter and have only them send in your answers so I don't get answers from everyone individually.

Now just a few more things before we begin.

Don't:

• Do not cheat. Cheaters loose all their points and have to wear the Crown of Shame.
  • Do not post answers in this thread. Also, don't post guesses, hints or anything like that. That takes away the fun of guessing for others.
  • Do not give multiple answers to a single question. No "X and/or Y" answers. You have to pick one. (For clarification: an answer of "Tegan and Sara" is one answer, so is "Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney" if they sing a duet, but "The Beatles or Led Zeppelin" is two answers and automatically wrong even if one of them is the right answer.)
Do:

• Do post how you felt about the quiz, whether it was fun (or not), too easy (or not) and general feedback-y stuff.
  • Do post to let us know if there is a problem with the quiz such as broken links, unclear instructions, or generally anything wrong with it.

This quiz is image-heavy and although I've tried to make their file sizes small (all total they shouldn't be much more than 1 MB) you may still experience some loading trouble. If that happens enough I'll re-upload the images until they work again.

This quiz will stay open for one week as of this posting, through May 24, Pacific Standard Time.

Now that all of that is out of the way, on to the game!

*Fabulous prizes to be determined at a later date

This event has been blessed and sanctified by Mr Cat Dog. Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Years
Famous Faces

In this round you simply need to name the person in each picture. They won't necessarily be all actors/musicians/etc. so keep an open mind.

Please use either their real names or their commonly known stage names. If they are part of a group (like a band) naming the group itself doesn't count as a correct answer.

Spoiler:

Cartoons

Name the cartoons depicted in the images.

If a cartoon was localized in your country/area under a different name than its original name then use the one you're familiar with if that's all you know. I'll do my best to make sure something like that won't count against you.

Spoiler:

Scenes From A Movie

Here you'll be given 4 still shots from a movie. Like the previous rounds, just name the movie in question.

If a movie is part of a series of movies it's good enough to name the series and not the specific movie. (So, for instance, if don't know if the stills show scenes from Live And Let Die or The Man With The Golden Gun you can just answer "James Bond" and you'll get the point.)

Spoiler:

Travel

Name either the city OR the country that contain these famous landmarks.

Spoiler:

Musical Mystery

In this round you have samples of songs all 30 seconds long. You just need to name the artist in each sample, NOT the song title.

If the song is a duet, or an "Artist X featuring Artist Y" kind of song and you get either right that's good enough for the point. Please try to name each artist as they would appear in actual media for the given song. (So, for instance, don't put down "John Lennon" for a Beatles song since he had a separate career under his own name.)

Now you'll also want to figure out what the song title is on each song to help you get the 3-Point Bonus Answer. All the songs have a "theme" running through them either in the names of the artists of song titles. Here's an example to explain. Imagine these were the artists and songs for some of the answers:

1. The Doors - Light My Fire
  2. Melissa Etheridge - Come To My Window
  3. The Decemberists - The Engine Driver
  4. Dashboard Confessional - Stolen
The "theme" running through them all is cars, or car parts, even though that's not what the songs themselves are about. It's a word game. Any answer which is close to the theme will be good enough for the bonus points. This is where knowing both pairs of a duet can come in handy, although, again, you only need to know one to get the regular point and you don't need to know the song at all. This is all just for the bonus.

Spoiler:

~*~

Here's that score sheet I promised:

Spoiler:

Remember to send your answers to Scarf.​

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
omg that was so much fun haha - I didn't know half the answers but it was so satisfying when there was one I did XD. This was awesome Scarf, you must have been working on it for ages!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Just to reiterate:

DON'T SEND ANYTHING TO ME. I AM NOT THE JUDGE IN THIS TRIVIA CONTEST. SEND YOUR ANSWERS TO SCARF.

That is all. Also, I'm stickying this, as it's not going to be a post-count heavy thread and I want this to succeed.

Stickied

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I knew three of the famous faces, all of the cartoons, 2 of the movies, 3 of the landmarks, and maybe 2 of the songs... not sure. lol

So, yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna win, so I won't bother sending in the answers. lol

Years
I knew three of the famous faces, all of the cartoons, 2 of the movies, 3 of the landmarks, and maybe 2 of the songs... not sure. lol

So, yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna win, so I won't bother sending in the answers. lol
You still have a while before the deadline so maybe a few more will come to you.

You can also make a team if you'd like and combine your knowledge.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
The one I'm worried about is the Musical Mystery one, oh my god. I'm fine when it comes to movies and people, but the Musical Mystery section had me stumped for a fair bit. Nice thread, Scarf.
it's a shame to see you're not pregnant

Doctor Nuzleaf

The ninja doctor
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2012
Famous face 24 and Travel 1 images are broken (at least to me)
Sounds fun :)
I only know, like one famous face, but I know every cartoon '-_-

Years
Oh! Thanks for letting me know. They should be fixed now.

If anyone submitted guesses while those were broken they can re-submit if they want. Actually, make that anyone can resubmit. Not many have guessed so far. :(

Years
Okay, so I was hoping there'd be a few more entries before the deadline was up, but sad to say, there were none (advertizing failure on my part, I suppose) and I don't get the feeling there will be any late entries so on with the results.

THE ANSWERS:

Spoiler:

And our big winner is....

Spoiler:

THANKS FOR PLAYING! Sorry, I have no prizes to give. :( But we all had fun, right? Right!​

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
How many people did enter, if I may ask? It's a shame more didn't enter, this was real good fun.

Years
How many people did enter, if I may ask? It's a shame more didn't enter, this was real good fun.
Only 4 :(

But if I were to do this again it would be shorter, or maybe spaced out over several days like the one Cat Dog did a while back. Maybe that'd grab more people since it wouldn't mean as big of a time commitment.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Congrats Gavin!

But don't just tell us Gav wins and then not tell us what our scores were! I wanna know how I did!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Only four of us? Damn. Anyway. THIS IS THE BEST BIRTHDAY A GIRL COULD ASK FOR DSJKsjhSSJKH ;____; etc.

Thanks for putting this up Scarfy, I particularly liked the music round, all in all it was great fun.

I totally sucked at movies & cartoons

Years
Shining Raichu: 44
cacturne4512: 28
Harlequin: 50

Everyone got most of their guesses correct (when you didn't leave them blank). So no one 'failed' in that sense.

Back