• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkPhillip

Shiny Breeder
Years
Hey, all! I know I'm not a regular here (yet), but I had a question regarding my own attempts at RNGing, which have suddenly become very frustrating. I'm currently trying to breed for shinies (no real interest in perfect IVs), and I'm gotten suck and am looking for some troubleshooting help:)

I'm using PPRNG (Mac), just in case that makes any difference. From what I've read, it shouldn't. Oh, and Black version.

My problem essentially boils down to being unable to find my starting frame for the egg. The way I learned was just to acquire and egg and hatch, then match to the starting frame from the target time, then subtract the starting frame from the needed frame (then do Chatots, etc.). The first time I tried this, it kinda worked-I was breeding for a shiny Rash Ponyta, and got the shininess, but with wrong nature :/ (Dissapointing, needless to say). So, I switched it up and tried my Snorunt/Ditto, then went to Shroomish/Ditto. For both Snorunt and Shroomish, I couldn't find the starting frame, as the Pokemon I was hatching didn't match any of the options.

Troubleshooting I've already done: Rechecked my calibration, and Timer0. Everything checked out (SID, TID, MAC #, VCount, VFrame). I also double checked my Chatots to make sure they had custom Chatters on. And I went back and checked parent IVs as well.

I have no clue where to go from here, and I'm kinda bumming, cause I was pumped to RNG after getting those two shiny Ponyta. Any suggestions for what I might be missing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

EDIT: Feel free to PM/VM me if you feel inclined to help me out, or replying here in the thread is cool by me to, if that's cool for everyone else.

EDIT 2: The is the guide I was using-http://learntorng.webs.com/eggrngpart2.htm

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Gayle the Vespiquen
416.png
416.png

Adamant | Pressure
31 | 31 | 31 | X | 31 | 31
Attack Order | Heal Order | Toxic | Confuse Ray
Hatched at Lacunosa Town

Moms. They drive you crazy but you love them anyways. My mom is very controlling and as a result, we often call her queen bee. We have to do it her way or do it no way. She's always barking out orders. Do this chore, go to this place, blah blah. She pressures me into doing her errands. I have a twin brother who's very capable of washing dishes or buying groceries himself. Nope, my mom tells me to do it! Sometimes, I think she's intimidating me to the point where her input is like toxic to me... I'm a little confused as to why my mom is primarily in my business. I thought she hates me or wants to get back at me, but she's just concerned. She worries about my safety. She doesn't want me to drive because she doesn't want to lose me. When I think more about it, I see that she's very forceful and adamant. At the same time, I notice that she's very subtle. She won't ever directly say to me, I love you. No, I don't think the words have much meaning when standalone. It's the little things my mom does that lets me know that she cares. My mom and I love common foods and she will leave some chicken wings or pieces of shrimp just for me. She went out of her way to Sam's Club to get me this cake I always look at for my birthday. She takes me out shopping when she knows I had a rough week in school. She's pushed me to take on challenging classes. She's done the paperwork and the phone calls to get me enrolled in my schools. She's helped me get to where I am today. Well, she literally gets me places by still driving me around. Idk, I complain about my mom a lot but her being tough on me made me into the woman I am today. :3;

Vespiquen is known to raise and carry around its young in its honeycomb-shaped abdomen. There's only one queen in charge, but the queen is around for her babies. I watched the episode An Angry Combeenation to see Vespiquen's behavior too. She didn't say nor move much but blasts Team Rocket away with a Power Gem. She entrusts Cheryl with some honey too... Aaa! Subtle love. I bred Vespiquen as shiny because one of the nicest things my mom's ever done for me was buy me a red rose when I graduated from high school. Vespiquen's hatched in Lacunosa Town, which is taken from lacunosus, or clouds characterized by a honeycomb pattern. Vespiquen's named after my mom. Both are beautiful nurturers in their own right.

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
Hey, all! I know I'm not a regular here (yet), but I had a question regarding my own attempts at RNGing, which have suddenly become very frustrating. I'm currently trying to breed for shinies (no real interest in perfect IVs), and I'm gotten suck and am looking for some troubleshooting help:)

I'm using PPRNG (Mac), just in case that makes any difference. From what I've read, it shouldn't. Oh, and Black version.

My problem essentially boils down to being unable to find my starting frame for the egg. The way I learned was just to acquire and egg and hatch, then match to the starting frame from the target time, then subtract the starting frame from the needed frame (then do Chatots, etc.). The first time I tried this, it kinda worked-I was breeding for a shiny Rash Ponyta, and got the shininess, but with wrong nature :/ (Dissapointing, needless to say). So, I switched it up and tried my Snorunt/Ditto, then went to Shroomish/Ditto. For both Snorunt and Shroomish, I couldn't find the starting frame, as the Pokemon I was hatching didn't match any of the options.

Troubleshooting I've already done: Rechecked my calibration, and Timer0. Everything checked out (SID, TID, MAC #, VCount, VFrame). I also double checked my Chatots to make sure they had custom Chatters on. And I went back and checked parent IVs as well.

I have no clue where to go from here, and I'm kinda bumming, cause I was pumped to RNG after getting those two shiny Ponyta. Any suggestions for what I might be missing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

EDIT: Feel free to PM/VM me if you feel inclined to help me out, or replying here in the thread is cool by me to, if that's cool for everyone else.

EDIT 2: The is the guide I was using-http://learntorng.webs.com/eggrngpart2.htm

Well, sounds like you're doing everything right. Are you checking the box for Ditto? Since you're breeding with a ditto, you need to make sure that is checked, otherwise it won't give you the right results.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
And the winner is...

Spoiler:

Look in the first post for the reasoning! The next challenge will be announced shortly.

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
Just wanted to post my 3 latest RNGs.

004.png
001.gif
001.gif
004.png

Bulbasaur
shiny.png
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 1
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Modest | Chlorophyll
31 30 31 30 31 30 | HP 70
10.png

Growth, SolarBeam, Hidden Power, Sleep Powder
Hatched on Route 3

004.png
004.gif
004.gif
004.png

Charmander
shiny.png
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 4
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Timid | Solar Power
31 31 31 31 31 31
Fire Blast, Growl, XXXXX, XXXXX
Hatched on Route 3

004.png
007.gif
007.gif
004.png

Squirtle
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 7
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Bold | Torrent
31 31 31 31 31 31
Rapid Spin, Scald, Protect, Yawn
Hatched at Striaton City

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Cutie pop starters! I thought Bulbasaur's DW ability wasn't available for breeding yet though? And congrats, Blade!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Just wanted to post my 3 latest RNGs.

004.png
001.gif
001.gif
004.png

Bulbasaur
shiny.png
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 1
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Modest | Chlorophyll
31 30 31 30 31 30 | HP 70
10.png

Growth, SolarBeam, Hidden Power, Sleep Powder
Hatched on Route 3

004.png
004.gif
004.gif
004.png

Charmander
shiny.png
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 4
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Timid | Solar Power
31 31 31 31 31 31
Fire Blast, Growl, XXXXX, XXXXX
Hatched on Route 3

004.png
007.gif
007.gif
004.png

Squirtle
male.png
| Lv. 1 | Dex No. 7
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Bold | Torrent
31 31 31 31 31 31
Rapid Spin, Scald, Protect, Yawn
Hatched at Striaton City

Cutie pop starters! I thought Bulbasaur's DW ability wasn't available for breeding yet though? And congrats, Blade!

It's not, all three of us those are technically hacked, sorry Legendary.

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
It's not, all three of us those are technically hacked, sorry Legendary.

Oh, I know the DW abilities haven't been released yet. Not doing anything special with them. I don't battle or anything. Just wanted them for myself. :P The Squirtle is fine though. I didn't RNG the unreleased DW ability on it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

Oh, I know the DW abilities haven't been released yet. Not doing anything special with them. I don't battle or anything. Just wanted them for myself. :P The Squirtle is fine though. I didn't RNG the unreleased DW ability on it.

Oh right, then nice job xD I do lots of naughty things like that.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Aw thankies. :) Uh oh, I see naughty things. xP

Here's the next challenge:

Challenge #18: A Team of Superheroes!
RNG a Pokémon that has a super power you wish you had!

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
HaxXxxXXxxxor Alert! XD
ULTIMATE FAIL

Brade, congrats! And damn it, I overslept the challenge despite actually doing it... I fell asleep before I posted my Mantine :/ too bad.

This challenge sounds really interesting! I so many pokemonand I have to pick just one :/

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I'm doing a project where I'm gonna RNG every non-legendary Pokemon in existence. Here's early Kanto! :)

001.gif

Mitsy | Bulbasaur Lv.1 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png
Bag_Pok%C3%A9_Ball_Sprite.png

Overgrow | Timid
Marina | 14534
31|2|31|30|31|30 [HP Fire 70]
[Petal Dance | Sludge Bomb | Attract | Hidden Power]
Hatched @ Lostlorn Forest

Mitsy is a cute, quiet Bulbasaur who doesn't really like to battle. She was born at the same time as Rex and Gregory. She relies on techniques like Attract, Sleep Powder and Flash in battle instead of directly attacking. Unbeknownst to her trainer, Mitsy was passed on powerful abilities like Petal Dance and Sludge Bomb. The young Bulbasaur refuses to them because they're "scary."

004.gif

Rex | Charmander Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Blaze | Jolly
Marina | 14534
31|31|31|0|31|31 [HP Electric 59]
[Flare Blitz | Aerial Ace | Rock Slide | Dragon Dance]
Hatched @ Undella Town

Rex is a mini-badass who likes to pick a fight with everyone. He's the descendant of a long line of champion Charizard and wants to be like his ancestors. He can be relatively reckless in battle which often results in him KOing himself before obtaining his victory. He considers Mitsy and Gregory. Rex will often spar with Gregory to train and prod Mitsy into becoming more brave.

007.gif

Gregory | Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Torrent | Quiet
Marina | 14534
31|30|31|30|31|31 [HP Grass 70]
[Water Spout | Ice Beam | Rapid Spin | Toxic]
Hatched @ Undella Bay

Gregory is the strong and silent type. He's often trying to calm down Mitsy and Rex when they start to bicker with one another. Gregory often likes to go with the flow and often finds himself having a hard time keeping up with his best friend Rex. He possesses the rare ability to use Water Spout which he uses to overwhelm his unsuspecting opponents.

010.gif

Andromeda | Caterpie Lv.1 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Run Away | Modest
Marina | 14534
31|3|31|30|30|31 [HP Ground 70]
[Tackle | Bug Bite| String Shot]
Hatched @ Pinwheel Forest

013.gif

Blitz | Weedle Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Run Away | Adamant
Marina | 14534
[Poison Sting | Bug Bite | String Shot]

Andromeda and Blitz are half siblings born to the same Beedrill father but a different mother. Despite their differing mothers, they consider themselves to be twins and friends for life. Andromeda can sense she has latent psychic abilities and can't wait to fully realize them when she evolves. Blitz is very aggressive and will sting anything in his way: even his own parents!

016.gif

Mona | Pidgey Lv.1 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Tangled Feet | Rash
Marina | 14534
31|31|30|30|30|30 [HP Fighting 70]
[Brave Bird | Uproar | Hidden Power | Work Up]
Hatched @ Mistralton City

Mona is a tough little bird who can't quite figure out what she wants to do with herself. She possesses both physical strength and a knack for special attacks. She is easily flustered in battle and often finds herself unsure of what she should do. Mona is super talkative and loves to gossip about other Pokemon.

019.gif

Barnaby | Rattata Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Hustle | Adamant
Marina | 14534
[Tackle | Crunch | Flame Wheel | Work Up]
Hatched @ Castelia City

Born to a street rat Raticate and her regal husband Arcanine, Barnaby is a conflicted little rodent. In one corner is the freedom of living on the street. A life of adventure and thrilling danger. On the other hand he could live a life of luxury and little worry with his father's family. For now he plans on honing his battle skills regardless and deciding on what route he wants to take when he's older.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Nice abuses, Luke. I am trying to do that as well but I got distracted halfway through Kanto xD

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
My entry for the new challenge.

007.png
615.gif
615.gif
007.png

Cryogonal | Lv. 31 | Dex No. 615
Jay Jay | 00041 | Gen V
Calm | Levitate
31 31 31 31 31 31 | HP 70
17.png

Mist, Haze, Aurora Beam, Acid Armor
Met in Twist Mountain

Cryogonal has the ability to levitate in order to avoid ground type moves in the Pokémon world. Being able to levitate off the ground has always been a power that I thought would be awesome to have. Especially if I were a super hero. You could levitate up to rooftops, as well as going from rooftop to rooftop. You could use levitate to avoid attacks from the villains as well. Lots of uses could come from the ability levitate...one of my favorites.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
021.gif

Demon | Spearow Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Sniper | Naughty
Marina | 14534
[Aerial Ace | Frustration | Faint Attack | U-Turn]
Hatched @ Mistralton City

Demon is a the youngest of eight young Spearow raised by a Fearow and her Honchkrow husband. True to his name, he's a trouble maker who often likes to terrorize those in nearby Fuschia City. Many trainers have attempted to capture him but none have succeeded in taming the troublesome bird. He hopes to one day join his mother's gang of Angry Birds.

023.gif

Fang | Ekans ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Intimidate | Lonely
Marina | 14534
[Poison Tail | Bite | Earthquake | Coil ]
Hatched @ Moor of Icirrus

Fang is an orphaned Ekans who lives on the streets of Viridian City. He has difficulty making friends and is shunned by the other street Pokemon that live near him. Luckily for him he's been gifted with apt battling capabilities and can defend himself from bigger, supposedly tougher Pokemon. He hopes to one day find a trainer who wants him so he can escape his street life.

025.gif

Annabelle | Pikachu Lv. 18 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Lightningrod | Modest
Marina | 14534
[31|1|30|31|31|31] [HP Ice 70]
[Electro Ball | Grass Knot | Hidden Power | Agility]
Hatched @ Chargestone Caverns

Annabelle was born to a wealthy family in Celadon City's pet Raichu. As a young Pichu she was pampered rotten by the youngest daughter of the family. Massages, clothing and the best food a Pokemon could eat. However, during one of the family's excursions into the Safari Zone, she was separated from the group and left defenseless. She was adopted by a group of Nidoran, Nidorina & Nidoqueen who taught her how to defend herself. She still lives with the Nido group and feeling better than she ever did in captivity.

027.gif

Buster | Sandshrew ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Sand Rush | Adamant
Marina | 14534
[31|31|31|0|31|31] [HP Electric 59]
[Earthquake | Rock Slide | X-Scissor | Swords Dance]
Hatched @ Desert Resort

Buster is a friendly little fellow who likes to help humans and Pokemon alike. While he prefers to remain wild, he has befriended numerous trainers who pass his home outside of Vermilion City. His parents are very proud of the person he has become and have encouraged him to travel around Kanto. During his travels he hopes to become a big strong Sandslash like them.

029.gif

Lucy | Nidoran♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Hustle | Bold
Marina | 14534
[31|0|31|31|31|31] [HP Dragon 68]
[Sludge Bomb | Thunderbolt | Toxic Spikes | Disable ]
Hatched @ Castelia City

032.gif

Fernando | Nidoran♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Hustle | Mild
Marina | 14534
[31|31|31|31|31|31] [HP Dark 70]
[Sludge Bomb | Ice Beam | Head Smash | Confusion ]
Hatched @ Castelia City

Lucy and Fernando are the product of a tryst their Nidoqueen mother had when she was a young Nidoran herself with a lothario of a Smeargle who was passing by her home. Quickly abandoned, she was left raising these two troublemaker Nidoran. The two quickly rebelled against their mother who was soon caught by a trainer and leaving them alone. They eventually brought together a group of other small Pokemon to form a gang that made Viridian City red with anger. Lucy was the leader of the two and Fernando was the brawn.

035.gif

James | Clefairy Lv.17 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Magic Guard | Brave
Marina | 14534
[31|31|31|0|31|0] [HP Water 54]
[Strength | Meteor Mash | Wake-Up Slap | Belly Drum ]
Hatched @ Giant Chasm

James is a meek male Clefairy who lives near the entrance of Mt. Moon. Using his unique abilities including his feminine appearance and his surprising physical strength, he has become a leader of sorts of the Clefairy in the mountain.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Luke give me all your Dex mons. :( You make me wanna do this too, but I'm just too lazy lol. I love your Ekans' moveset btw! <3

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
Those are some great RNG abuses, Luke! Especially love the Pikachu, Sandshrew, and Nidoran♂. Going through and RNGing the dex is a great idea. I'd like to eventually do that, it'd just take me forever, always running out of time.

DarkPhillip

Shiny Breeder
Years
Hey, all! I'd like to throw my name in for joining this club, if that's allowed haha. I just started RNG Abusing, well...like three days ago. So far I'm only interested in breeding for shinies, but I may get into looking for wild shinies. So far, I'm not really interested in breeding for flawless IVs, it just takes too much of the variety out of the game for me. I think I've finally got a hang of the process, so I thought now might be the time to introduce myself. I haven't exactly figured out all the formatting stuff, but once I do, I'd like to show you guys what I've done so far and see what you think. :)

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Last post today I swear. This is what I do on my days off lol

037.gif

Willow | Vulpix Lv.1 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Drought | Modest
Marina | 14534
[31|3|30|31|30|30] [HP Rock 70]
[Inferno | SolarBeam | Extrasensory | Hypnosis]
Hatched @ Abundant Shrine

Willow is a snobby Pokemon who would much rather clean her fur than participate in battle. Unfortunately for her she possesses a rare ability wanted by trainers all over the world. Her nest is full of trinkets and other items she has stolen from trainers that have tried to capture her before. The Pokemon that live around her are not very fond of her and hope she does get captured one day.

039.gif

Lisa | Jigglypuff Lv.15 ♀
ShinyBWStar.png

Cute Charm | Adamant
Marina | 14534
[Return | Faint Attack | Sing | Disable]
Hatched @ Nuvema Town

Lisa is a goofy little Jigglypuff who likes to color and draw things on the sides of houses. She has a hard time making friends so she has designated three of her favorite drawings around Cerulean as her "best friends." She makes rounds visiting them every day which has made her a legend of sorts amongst the locals. Lisa isn't a very apt battler but she is eager to learn now that she has recently evolved into her current form.

041f.gif

Drake | Zubat Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Inner Focus | Jolly
Marina | 14534
[Poison Fang | Brave Bird | Quick Attack | Mean Look]
Hatched @ Wellspring Cave

Drake is a very happy Zubat who wants nothing more than to make friends. Unfortunately most people and Pokemon push him aside due to his species's reputation. But he's a stubborn Pokemon and refuses to give up. So every night he leaves his cave in hopes of meeting someone who will want to train him. He's especially proud of fast he is in races with other Flying-type Pokemon!

043.gif

Marvin | Oddish Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Chlorophyll | Modest
Marina | 14534
[31|2|31|30|31|30] [HP Fire 70]
[Giga Drain | Venoshock | Toxic | Moonlight]

Marvin is a nerdy little Oddish who is constantly searching for new move combos to use in battle. He uses the local Rattata, Caterpie and Weedle as his "test subjects" which has led to him having a not so nice reputation amongst the population. However he doesn't mind because he thinks if he becomes strong, a strong trainer will catch him and he'll be able to take on stronger opponents!

046.gif

Fungus | Paras Lv.1 ♂
ShinyBWStar.png

Dry Skin | Impish
Marina | 14534
[X-Scissor | Leech Seed | Substitute | Spore]

Fungus is Marvin's partner in crime and the Igor to his Frankenstein. He too is fascinated by battles and strives to become a perfect battling specimen. While his spores are still underdeveloped, he has created certain combos that can paralyzed a creature for days or make them hallucinate. He is terrified of Marvin however and does anything he is told. He has a crush on a local female Bellsprout.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2021
Challenge Entry :)

448.gif

[SIZE=+2]Lucario[/SIZE]
shiny.png
(M)| Level 51
004.png

Bruce | 55821 | Black
Timid| Steadfast | 31 31 31 31 31 31 | HP: Dark 70
Nasty Plot, Vacuum Wave, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse.
[Hatched at Marvelous Bridge]
Lucario are sensitive to a special type of energy called aura,they can study this energy to predict the movements of their opponents and track their quarries,they also have power to manipulate this energy in an offensive manner like his move aura sphere and been reported to communicate with humans through telepathy.​
How cool is that? if i had the chance to have the powers of lucario, ill shoot aura sphere's and vacuum wave those bullies in our school :) Plus i get to have the chance to talk to my crush secretly through telepathy. \m/​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back