The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
EarthWolfblade
Returning breeder

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to EarthWolfblade
Avengers was AWESOME.

Loki:I AM A GOD! I will not be bullied by some dull, mindless cr-

Hulk:*smashes loki like a rag doll* puny god.

Loki's expression: Priceless.

That was the best Hulk EVER.

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM
TheGr8
lovely pair<3
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Jolly
Saw Avengers in IMAX 3D it was so AMAZING. I loved the Hulk of course, it was just an amazing movie, and I am going to see it again for sure!

Youtube | Twitter | VGC| Pair

Signature by Khalei

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
You waited two hours in line!? Wowzers. I don't think I've ever waited in a line for the cinema that lasted longer than 15 minutes.
Well, technically it was only a line for the last hour since I was the only one waiting. But I'm a veteran line-waiter. I've done quite a few midnight/first day showings where a group grabs a spot in line for the rest of us and we make camp. Did it for Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other ones I'm forgetting. Basically anytime there is a movie that most everyone wants to see it becomes a thing and we have to make sure we get good seats. Getting good seats is Serious Business.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Oh C&M DCC, why do we let you stew in your inactivity for so long? ;-;
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
D:

Because we are terrible people who keep forgetting about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf
I'm a veteran line-waiter. I've done quite a few midnight/first day showings where a group grabs a spot in line for the rest of us and we make camp. Did it for Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other ones I'm forgetting. Basically anytime there is a movie that most everyone wants to see it becomes a thing and we have to make sure we get good seats. Getting good seats is Serious Business.
This is why I love movie cinemas here. We have allocated seating so we choose our seats when we book our tickets. It takes the stress out of the entire affair!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old May 13th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Mynewusernameiskuzronkjustlookthatup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
D:

This is why I love movie cinemas here. We have allocated seating so we choose our seats when we book our tickets. It takes the stress out of the entire affair!
Not everywhere and the seats i normally sit in are not taken anyway *the back row in the middle*
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
OH MY GOD SO TRUE! You're all terrible, horrible people and I hate you.

JUST KIDDING! :D

Anyhoo, re: allocated seating. Some cinemas in the UK do this, but it really depends on what type of cinema you go to (independent, small scale or massive multiplex) and sometimes even the film you want to see. There's this cheap chain cinema that I go to see foreign films that doesn't allocate - apart from the time where a certain indie film sensation called Margaret was showing. In that case, however, there were queues outside at 10am (!!!) so it made sense that seats were allocated then.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

People queue to see independent films? Do you live in Hipsterville, Jon?

Old May 13th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
At that time, the cinema in question was the only one in the whole of the UK showing this film. And it had received virtually unanimous 5-star reviews from all the broadsheet newspapers. Granted this queue consisted of - at most - 40 people... but it was still a queue! And if, by Hipsterville, you mean streets with a predominant Pakistani and Banglageshi culture right next to the biggest mosque in London, then yes: I live in Hipsterville!
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Esper

Quote:
I never knew this was a thing until I went to Japan and I was shown a screen and told to touch where I wanted to sit. I went all like this:

At least in my memory I did. I feel so, so, so 20th century going to a theatre and not being able to pick a seat and have it reserved for me now.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

NOOOOOOO I HATE YOU CW HOW COULD YOU TAKE MY RINGER AWAY. Oh, and Secret Circle too. Glad I didn't get into that show now.

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

The timing on this week's fate/zero....
Spoiler:

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
DavidCater
That's not fair! Finally a show about witches come on air and once the first season is over its cancelled?!
Clearly, Mr Cater was in a coma from 1998 to 2006, the poor man. He's never heard of Charmed!
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Esper

Wow, that show lasted a long time. I didn't think people actually watch Charmed. I caught like ten minutes of one episode and it seemed really dull. Always assumed it was one of those shows that just played its single season on a rerun loop.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I never knew this was a thing until I went to Japan and I was shown a screen and told to touch where I wanted to sit. I went all like this:

At least in my memory I did. I feel so, so, so 20th century going to a theatre and not being able to pick a seat and have it reserved for me now.
I thought that was a standard thing of being able to choose where you sat?
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Wow, that show lasted a long time. I didn't think people actually watch Charmed. I caught like ten minutes of one episode and it seemed really dull. Always assumed it was one of those shows that just played its single season on a rerun loop.
YOU OFFEND ME MADAM.

Charmed was my life for such a long time. I signed 15,000 online petitions to get it a Season 9, and I had an undying obsession with the show that lasted pretty much until I discovered Buffy in late 2007. So it ate a good portion of my life!

It was such an awesome show though... and it was the reason for my first ever foruming experience. It has shaped me into the lovely vision you see before you today!

Old May 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
I thought that was a standard thing of being able to choose where you sat?
Not where I live or anywhere I've been to the movies in the states. And I'm from California! Hollywood is sort of in my backyard.

Quote:
YOU OFFEND ME MADAM.
I'M GOOD AT THAT. But the show did play on a channel that always played reruns of old shows and all the friends I had liked Buffy and didn't care for Charmed so I also assumed it was just Buffy-lite.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
YOU OFFEND ME MADAM.

Charmed was my life for such a long time. I signed 15,000 online petitions to get it a Season 9, and I had an undying obsession with the show that lasted pretty much until I discovered Buffy in late 2007. So it ate a good portion of my life!

It was such an awesome show though... and it was the reason for my first ever foruming experience. It has shaped me into the lovely vision you see before you today!
Signing petitions to save shows is a thing for you, isn't it?
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf
all the friends I had liked Buffy and didn't care for Charmed so I also assumed it was just Buffy-lite.
I wouldn't call it Buffy-lite, but once you get your hands on a Joss Whedon show, nothing else is ever as good ever again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Signing petitions to save shows is a thing for you, isn't it?
lmao yeah - at least it was, back when I was young and naive enough to believe that actually made a difference

Old May 15th, 2012, 06:30 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
lmao yeah - at least it was, back when I was young and naive enough to believe that actually made a difference :(
Hahahahaha

(sorry)

Anyway, for opening weekends of big ticket movies I've arrived an hour early sometimes.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
lmao yeah - at least it was, back when I was young and naive enough to believe that actually made a difference :(
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAHAHHAHAHA!

Anyway. I haven't been a cinema in a while, I really need to go and watch the Avengers, but I just don't have much time outside of work.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Mynewusernameiskuzronkjustlookthatup

The only time i needed to wait for long was for Harry Potter 5 since people wanted to see that or another movie that came out around that time
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
I never watched it either, Alyssa Milano = no. My favorite witch-related show was always Sabrina the Teenage Witch, although little ol' Sabrina was in a whole different category than the dirty and tainted Alyssa Milano.
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM
abnegation
adventure
Community Supporter

I'm very interested in series' such as Game of Thrones and on the occasion, Spartacus. But I'm far more interested in epic fantasy set in this sort of time. In addition I'm fond of movies like Lord of the Rings, and I'nm struggling to find things done like these are. So if anyone has any series' or movies like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones I'd love to hear.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Esper

Lessee... big epic fantasy movies?

If you want something 80s-tastic (with the limited scale of epic-ness you get with that decade) you have Willow (which is more adventure-y, less epic), Labyrinth (more magical, not much action or epic stuff), The Dark Crystal (a certain level of epic scale, done all with puppets), Highlander (can't really remember how this one goes but I'm pretty sure it's got sword fighting). Somehow, I get the vibe these aren't quite what you're looking for though.

What else? There's a 2000s movie called Reign of Fire in which dragons have taken over the world, or something. I heard it wasn't that good and I haven't seen it. For other movies in that kind of action/adventure area there's Beowulf, Prince of Persia, and 300, (all of which I haven't seen, can't personally recommend). There's also Gladiator and Troy for recent-ish swords-and-sandals type movies about high adventure in Greco-Roman times. (I can't speak to these personally either.)

If you don't mind stretching out into foreign films you'll probably find some good martial arts movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Hero.

deviantart blog pair
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links