Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner
Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #4776    
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
ShinyDiamond's Avatar
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aincrad
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful

Advertise here
What is your favourite RP? Like, which one did/do you have to most fun being involved with or reading?

Pokemon Trainer Academy. I love that I get to interact with so many RPers.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.


Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
  #4777    
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
WestsideConnection's Avatar
WestsideConnection
Bow Down
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
This is completely relevant, we're talking about his RP getting accepted by Skymin, the RP mod. It's pretty hard to get more relevant than that.
I was talking more about the whining/complaining/arguing than the Acceptance stuff.
  #4778    
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideConnection View Post


I was talking more about the whining/complaining/arguing than the Acceptance stuff.
The two were related. But you're right, let's drop this.

Though I can't say I have a favorite RP. It's still being decided, I guess, but I have yet to truly pick one.
  #4779    
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow View Post


Eh... I'd be very concerned that these 'single player' elements would be a large conflict of interest. You see one of the biggest things ever about RPing is that it's not single player, in fact that's fundamental to RPing as we know it, so going with this idea as is would alienate a large chunk of the userbase immediately on creation. (I question why I'm the only person who noticed this. Critique is valuable, yo)

That's disregarding the fact that the market for PTA-like RPs recently became arguably saturated...
Not really. It's not fundamental to the concept of "roleplaying", it's just the standard - and certainly the most entertaining part of - forum rolaplaying as we know it here.

There have been many RPs where players mostly write out their own adventures and only occasionally post together with others. I personally have enjoyed many of those. There are many different ways of RPing and while most focus on shorter posts where characters always interact for driving a story forward (or even build a story from "nothing"), there can be RPs where the players mostly play "against" the GM. Kind of like one does when playing a single player video game, and the AI is the GM there. Unless the RP is too free and makes the players confused or easily bored after a while, it can be fun. It's like an alternative to writing an OT fanfic on your own, plus you'll have the option to actually interact with other players once in a while, when it suits you.

And if a "large chunk of the userbase" don't want to sign up for something like this, then I'm probably not looking for those players anyways, but rather for some other part of the userbase who actually like this style :D

Simply put, as I've mentioned in some RP somewhere, this style is for when you feel like playing a pokémon game (or a hack, heh) with new twists and plots and a lot more freedom, but want to take a break (or even avoid) the usual kind of RP where you interact at all times.

Diversity (y)





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4780    
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
pokeman10000's Avatar
pokeman10000
Leftie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Somebody sign up to my RP pls, it will die alone... *cries*
I am king of forgetting account details!
  #4781    
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Nam's Avatar
Nam
Mime Jr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dominican Republic
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDiamond View Post
What is your favourite RP? Like, which one did/do you have to most fun being involved with or reading?

Pokemon Trainer Academy. I love that I get to interact with so many RPers.
I haven't been in many RPs (in this forum), but from the ones I've been on I like "Journey Through the Dark" by Nakuzami. It never finished though cause the GM disappeared... xP

Ever since I've been searching for a similar RP to quench my needs. On the mean time, I'm RPing DBZ and Sonic elsewhere.
Pokemon Black Version: 1635 4191 3592

Pokemon HeartGold: 5114 5257 4957
  #4782    
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeepImpact- View Post
I mean, a plot required for a RP. From what I've read the story is more like a backstory for why the whole game takes place.
It's going to be based off of that plot. If you want it extremely simplified, It's Red and BLU corporations sending in nine soldiers (conveniently the same kinds) and basically having territory war and trying to get Australium. Of course, the plot we have in mind goes much deeper. And on top of that, we can justify a "respawn" but at the same time make it a very negative aspect. We're getting everything squared away and might make the actual RP soon.



*
  #4783    
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM
PkMnTrainer Yellow's Avatar
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Coast, USA
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
What is your favourite RP? Like, which one did/do you have to most fun being involved with or reading?

Well, Pokemon Trainer Academy was my favorite before I even became it's GM, and despite all the hard, not necessariy fun work I've had to do and the issues I've had to face it maintains a special place in my heart to this day along with it's RPers.

However, right now I'm feeling /really/ positive about Earth & Sky. I'd say my favorite and the one I have the most fun in are two different RPs right now.
  #4784    
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow View Post
What is your favourite RP? Like, which one did/do you have to most fun being involved with or reading?

Well, Pokemon Trainer Academy was my favorite before I even became it's GM, and despite all the hard, not necessariy fun work I've had to do and the issues I've had to face it maintains a special place in my heart to this day along with it's RPers.

However, right now I'm feeling /really/ positive about Earth & Sky. I'd say my favorite and the one I have the most fun in are two different RPs right now.
Woo, Earth and Sky!

Speaking of which, SPOTS ARE OPEN IN IT.



*
  #4785    
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
WestsideConnection's Avatar
WestsideConnection
Bow Down
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post

Not really. It's not fundamental to the concept of "roleplaying", it's just the standard - and certainly the most entertaining part of - forum rolaplaying as we know it here.

There have been many RPs where players mostly write out their own adventures and only occasionally post together with others. I personally have enjoyed many of those. There are many different ways of RPing and while most focus on shorter posts where characters always interact for driving a story forward (or even build a story from "nothing"), there can be RPs where the players mostly play "against" the GM. Kind of like one does when playing a single player video game, and the AI is the GM there. Unless the RP is too free and makes the players confused or easily bored after a while, it can be fun. It's like an alternative to writing an OT fanfic on your own, plus you'll have the option to actually interact with other players once in a while, when it suits you.

And if a "large chunk of the userbase" don't want to sign up for something like this, then I'm probably not looking for those players anyways, but rather for some other part of the userbase who actually like this style :D

Simply put, as I've mentioned in some RP somewhere, this style is for when you feel like playing a pokémon game (or a hack, heh) with new twists and plots and a lot more freedom, but want to take a break (or even avoid) the usual kind of RP where you interact at all times.

Diversity (y)
I think I really like what you are thinking up here about this more "single-player" concept, yet still meeting up with others. Like, the RP'ers start at the same town, and then do their journey the way they want to, and control their decisions in the RP. You could leave interactions to "fate", if that is what you want to call it. What I mean by fate is let's say that
one RP'ers character is going against your typical evil team, let's say Team Rocket. This one RP'ers character is going to infiltrate and break up a base in let's say Pewter City. So they do, and by luck meet up with another character who had the same plan, so they go in and do the job, and go their own ways once again. As I've probably said before, you should make the RP.
  #4786    
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideConnection View Post


I think I really like what you are thinking up here about this more "single-player" concept, yet still meeting up with others. Like, the RP'ers start at the same town, and then do their journey the way they want to, and control their decisions in the RP. You could leave interactions to "fate", if that is what you want to call it. What I mean by fate is let's say that
one RP'ers character is going against your typical evil team, let's say Team Rocket. This one RP'ers character is going to infiltrate and break up a base in let's say Pewter City. So they do, and by luck meet up with another character who had the same plan, so they go in and do the job, and go their own ways once again. As I've probably said before, you should make the RP.
Yeah, kind of like that actually :3 I won't make any more RPs for quite some time now though xD Pokémon VR keeps me busy~ There are so many others with new RP ideas now though, so that's good!





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4787    
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Rose Quartz's Avatar
Rose Quartz
Let's change the future
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In your mind.
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Rose Quartz
Hmmmm, i would like to join one of RHCP's RP's sometime :< i guess in the future
Pair
Roleplays
Deviantart
Brothers
Sisters
Theme
Maya Nami Kyuuketsuki / Ryuu Higoroshi / Luna / Lucina / Lacy / Madison Campbell
  #4788    
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Danger Zone's Avatar
Danger Zone
All Men Must Die.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Hmmmm, i would like to join one of RHCP's RP's sometime :< i guess in the future :)
I think there's a spot open in Arcanum? You should check it out haha.
  #4789    
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Hmmmm, i would like to join one of RHCP's RP's sometime :< i guess in the future :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeepImpact- View Post


I think there's a spot open in Arcanum? You should check it out haha.
Actually, if you feel like you're in a writing mood, do check out Arcanum. There are 1 ½ spots available xD And I don't demand the uber-lengthy posts that we seem to always be having (though I do appreciate a good, lengthy read so that's probably why). That RP is currently... hibernating though, since all the players have hard ware issues lol or school troubles. We'll see if when it sparks back to life again xD





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4790    
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
WestsideConnection's Avatar
WestsideConnection
Bow Down
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post


Yeah, kind of like that actually :3 I won't make any more RPs for quite some time now though xD Pokémon VR keeps me busy~ There are so many others with new RP ideas now though, so that's good!
Darn, when you have the time though you should go through with that idea, it would be a quality RP.

Oh yea, that reminds me, is there still interest for that survival RP mentioned a few pages back? Or the living in the Pokemon world one?
  #4791    
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mr. Mammoth's Avatar
Mr. Mammoth
One cool snowman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wherever there is ice
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
You have another idea for a journey RP Red? Well, since I didn't participate in VR, I simply HAVE to participate in this one! When you make it of course. And if I have time... I've got a feeling that school will kick my sorry butt even more after the summer-break...

But PinkSapphire, you should consider joining Arcanum! You want to get better at RPing, right? Well that is a very good reason to join Arcanum since it currently has many talented RPers in it (excluding myself), so you might learn something good! Oh man... It sounds like I'm calling you stupid, but that's not what I mean!
  #4792    
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mammoth View Post
You have another idea for a journey RP Red? Well, since I didn't participate in VR, I simply HAVE to participate in this one! When you make it of course. And if I have time... I've got a feeling that school will kick my sorry butt even more after the summer-break...

But PinkSapphire, you should consider joining Arcanum! You want to get better at RPing, right? Well that is a very good reason to join Arcanum since it currently has many talented RPers in it (excluding myself), so you might learn something good! Oh man... It sounds like I'm calling you stupid, but that's not what I mean!
Let's force someone else to make an RP like that 8D I could provide my ideas, but let someone else who have tiiiime GM it. Moahaha. *seriously calls out for a new RP like Swan's or Breeze's Johto ones. Why do so many good things die?*

And you're a wonderful writer, Mammoth. But yeah, RPing in general is a good way of improving one's writing. That was the reason I started RPing in the first place, after all ^^' and perhaps why I've almost always preferred RPs where longer posts are the norm rather than very short ones.





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4793    
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Actually, I'm considering joining Arcanum myself. Spots are open, correct?
  #4794    
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Yes, for Vaporeon and Eevee as starter. If you want to talk about it further, we should take it in the OOC thread instead of here :3





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4795    
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
WestsideConnection's Avatar
WestsideConnection
Bow Down
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post


Let's force someone else to make an RP like that 8D I could provide my ideas, but let someone else who have tiiiime GM it. Moahaha. *seriously calls out for a new RP like Swan's or Breeze's Johto ones. Why do so many good things die?*

And you're a wonderful writer, Mammoth. But yeah, RPing in general is a good way of improving one's writing. That was the reason I started RPing in the first place, after all ' and perhaps why I've almost always preferred RPs where longer posts are the norm rather than very short ones.
Actually, I thought of something. In the list of ideas I made on Page 187 (A possible 187 in the Roleplay Discussion Thread) included this idea;

The Characters here are in the world of Pokemon, throughout Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova (We would start in Kanto, then expand if enough interest is around) and play as the people of the Pokemon world, having lifestyles like trainers, breeders, Pokemon nurses, gym leaders, and etc. . You would be free to explore, not bound by a pushing towards a goal by your standard "evil teams" although you can still journey if you please. You can interact as teams, friends, posses and even form "evil teams" if you wish. The choice is up to the character.

which with some tweaks, could be a good Journey/whatever Pokemon (derp, Yay!) RP. It doesn't have to be done, and I probably wouldn't be a good GM choice, but with someone who has time and knows what they are doing it could make a quality RP.
  #4796    
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Skymin's Avatar
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: australia
Age: 21
Nature: Quirky
As long as it has an underlying storyline which drives the roleplay, I'm all cool with that.
Moderator of the Roleplay Corner <<
my art blogcommission infoCLOUD v2.0<<
Paired with revlis <<
avatar by me <<
  #4797    
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
ShinyDiamond's Avatar
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aincrad
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideConnection View Post


Actually, I thought of something. In the list of ideas I made on Page 187 (A possible 187 in the Roleplay Discussion Thread) included this idea;

The Characters here are in the world of Pokemon, throughout Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova (We would start in Kanto, then expand if enough interest is around) and play as the people of the Pokemon world, having lifestyles like trainers, breeders, Pokemon nurses, gym leaders, and etc. . You would be free to explore, not bound by a pushing towards a goal by your standard "evil teams" although you can still journey if you please. You can interact as teams, friends, posses and even form "evil teams" if you wish. The choice is up to the character.

which with some tweaks, could be a good Journey/whatever Pokemon (derp, Yay!) RP. It doesn't have to be done, and I probably wouldn't be a good GM choice, but with someone who has time and knows what they are doing it could make a quality RP.
I do hope someone makes an RP like this. It would be fun.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.


Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
  #4798    
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:13 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Yeah... the thing is that I think a plot that drives you to write more is necessary. I'm, well, a bit lost in PTA right now because I don't know what to write about xD (but that's also me being lazy with my inventive powers, it'll wear off I think) while in Pokémon VR there is a certain direction to go in, new places to explore constantly. Maybe, in dat new RP, there needs to be an overall arching plot with some villains or legendary pokémon or something more original. Something that makes players feel that they will gain something on posting further. Also, Hoenn is totally a good region for sandbox-y playing. It's got all environments and stuff.

Apparently some RPs make do without this :p the only thing that seems to be driving PTA is gaining levels for your pokémon and developing bonds with others by interacting. <- it's awesome that it works because that is how many think forum RPs probably should be!

That's why it's good to always try new RP ideas and styles if you have them; since everybody are different there are some people who only like a certain type of RP. Not everybody would love playing a PMD RP or a journey RP, even though they are popular kinds.





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



  #4799    
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:51 AM
Danger Zone's Avatar
Danger Zone
All Men Must Die.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideConnection View Post


Actually, I thought of something. In the list of ideas I made on Page 187 (A possible 187 in the Roleplay Discussion Thread) included this idea;

The Characters here are in the world of Pokemon, throughout Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova (We would start in Kanto, then expand if enough interest is around) and play as the people of the Pokemon world, having lifestyles like trainers, breeders, Pokemon nurses, gym leaders, and etc. . You would be free to explore, not bound by a pushing towards a goal by your standard "evil teams" although you can still journey if you please. You can interact as teams, friends, posses and even form "evil teams" if you wish. The choice is up to the character.

which with some tweaks, could be a good Journey/whatever Pokemon (derp, Yay!) RP. It doesn't have to be done, and I probably wouldn't be a good GM choice, but with someone who has time and knows what they are doing it could make a quality RP.
I'll probably be bricked by Supervegeta and RHCP for saying this but I'm pretty much free right now and probably willing to make a RP haha. I have another cool idea that I thought of about a month ago though, so I probably might work on that before this but if you guys want I guess I could try to make this RP.
  #4800    
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:54 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
Seer of Light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
*bricks Impact* If you make that now, then I throw you out of Arcanum :D bet you could guess that. Have you GM'd before?

Also omg you have Nakuzami's old avatar, I thought Naku was coming back all of a sudden when I saw that.

I hope Mr Cat Dog's RP kicks off and has a good run. The idea is really cool.





HOMESTUCK


Beta Kids Collab: Rose Lalonde

paired to abnegation

mod of Pokémon General
& Roleplay Corner


Homestuck Fanclub



Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:00 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.