The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I was really excited when I was linked to this because it was so cool but then when I realized that the female trainer--honestly the only reason I'm at all excited about this game (she's so cute!)--got the shaft in this trailer, my interest kind of dropped. None of my favourites were featured in it so the only thing that made me happy was Bianca, haha. :'(

I really hope they do animated trailers for all the Pokemon games now, even if only the main ones. This was gorgeous and I just wanna see more of them, even if I don't think it's going to be a decent representation of the game. (I think the trailer seems a lot more epic than BW2 will probably turn out to be. :P)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hikamaru
and a day ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I was really excited when I was linked to this because it was so cool but then when I realized that the female trainer--honestly the only reason I'm at all excited about this game (she's so cute!)--got the shaft in this trailer, my interest kind of dropped. None of my favourites were featured in it so the only thing that made me happy was Bianca, haha. :'(

I really hope they do animated trailers for all the Pokemon games now, even if only the main ones. This was gorgeous and I just wanna see more of them, even if I don't think it's going to be a decent representation of the game. (I think the trailer seems a lot more epic than BW2 will probably turn out to be. )
Yeah Erica, it would have been nicer if the girl was in the trailer. I really wanted to see an anime version of her...

At least Bianca and Cheren's appearances made up for it, the voices were great not to forget the scene of Arcanine attacking Seviper, Lucario using Aura Sphere, Samurott using Ice Beam, Elesa appearing with her Zebstrika and Emolga and also the appearance of the Shadow Triad and N.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Yeah Erica, it would have been nicer if the girl was in the trailer. I really wanted to see an anime version of her...

At least Bianca and Cheren's appearances made up for it, the voices were great not to forget the scene of Arcanine attacking Seviper, Lucario using Aura Sphere, Samurott using Ice Beam, Elesa appearing with her Zebstrika and Emolga and also the appearance of the Shadow Triad and N.
I know! They made the male protagonist look awesome even though I thought he looked pretty dorky to begin with so they probably would've made her extra great. :<

I did like all the cameos of other characters, but I was honestly never that big a fan of most of them so they didn't resonate with me nearly as much as most other people who saw the trailer, I suppose.

tumblrtwitter

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Lucario using Aura Sphere
By far was the best part of the entire thing. Actually it kinda made me dislike Lucario a lot less so that's a really good thing :3 Arcanine tossing Seviper seemed really cruel though lol.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Am I the only one who wasn't so disappointed the female protagonist was not shown in the trailer? I mean it was obvious GameFreak would use the male protagonist to promote these games, like they always do. Plus it was still a great trailer overall! How can you lose interest over that? D: She'll be in the games, which is the main thing that counts. The whole point to the trailer was pretty much to promote the games right? It was new and different, and a nice add.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Forever
let it go

Well yes, but GameFreak have a habit of surprising us this generation - so the female protagonist would've been the perfect treat for us!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Quote:
This.

I too felt that the lack of the female protagonist also took much from the trailer. Yeah, GF has been horrible about male bias and I saw it coming from a mile, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable to me.

I'll (probably) still get the games, but do it while pretending that I never saw the trailer. It did almost nothing to excite me, meaning it wasn't very effective xD Seeing Arcanine in it (one of my least favorites) didn't help either. I'm always gonna dislike it, no matter how brutally and viciously it attacks a poor, innocent Seviper :/

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
I don't think it is innocent in any way, it was commanded by the Plasma Grunt to attack the heros, so in Arcanine's defense, it was ordered by his trainer to attack the incomming threat.

Anyways, in my opinion, this trailer really increased my hype for the release. Basically to the point that the only thing I can think of is the game. That battle scene though really made me consider my planned team, as I really want to use Seviper.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos11011 View Post
I don't think it is innocent in any way, it was commanded by the Plasma Grunt to attack the heros, so in Arcanine's defense, it was ordered by his trainer to attack the incomming threat.

Anyways, in my opinion, this trailer really increased my hype for the release. Basically to the point that the only thing I can think of is the game. That battle scene though really made me consider my planned team, as I really want to use Seviper.
same here, I only really used arcanine in Wi-Fi battles and i thought Lucario was overused (it probably will be since riolu is found so early) but after seeing the trailer, i really want those two now!

and i'll always use Samurott, i just always use speed instead of strength in Pokemon games, thats just my style, so no emboar for me :D

3DS FC: 4184-2489-6268 (Pokemon Y)
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaori View Post
Am I the only one who wasn't so disappointed the female protagonist was not shown in the trailer? I mean it was obvious GameFreak would use the male protagonist to promote these games, like they always do. Plus it was still a great trailer overall! How can you lose interest over that? D: She'll be in the games, which is the main thing that counts. The whole point to the trailer was pretty much to promote the games right? It was new and different, and a nice add.
I feel like I don't really have the right to complain because the female protagonists usually end up in the actual anime itself but that doesn't seem to be happening in Gen V so I would have really appreciated seeing an anime version. Would it have been so hard to replace the guy with the girl in some of the scenes? I don't think it would have been confusing or anything.

Japan's pretty gender-skewed but it'd have been nice to see both protagonists get the same treatment. The female feels lesser to me now, like she's ot on the same level as the male and is only there to appease female fans. (And maybe she is, but part of the reason girls should be a choice for your trainer avatar in the first place is to show they're on equal footing with the guys. Excluding her from the trailer says the exact opposite.) Precedent for showing the male trainers more than the girls in promotional material doesn't make it okay to keep doing it. :(

I get that the trailer is something cool and different for once as far as game adverts go but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that they left out the one reason I have so far to buy this game. :P It's not a big deal to most people but I really, really like the girl's design so yeah, I'm disappointed she wasn't in it. Not overly surprised that she wasn't, but disappointed all the same.

tumblrtwitter

Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Quote:
I know! They made the male protagonist look awesome even though I thought he looked pretty dorky to begin with so they probably would've made her extra great. :<

I did like all the cameos of other characters, but I was honestly never that big a fan of most of them so they didn't resonate with me nearly as much as most other people who saw the trailer, I suppose.
As much as I LOVED the trailer, I agree. He was corky as all get out. Personally I loved the trailer and thought it was perfect. That being said, I think the level of perfection would have been higher if the female character was indeed showcased as well as the male. However, it dies make me wonder a few things.

If she was showcased, how would the crowd take it? We here in the forums know that you can choose either male or female, have the same male rival regardless of who you chose, and know that Bianca and Cheren are no longer rivals to the main player. But what about those who don't keep up with the news? If she were included, would it lead people to believe that the game has two rivals just like the originals? As trivial as that may sound, I've checked around other forums that thought the other main character was a rival, and when they found out he/she isn't a rival, stated that they would not get the games. This alone can lead Gane Freak to believe that people may buy it and then return it for a full refund! D:

All in all, I do agree that the should have shown her. But if they do, I think they should do it in another trailer. Though really, it could be as simple as Japan being gender biased, which is lame. :c

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos11011 View Post
Simply a mere technicality.

Doesn't change the fact that the trailer actually made me hate the ugly hairy dog even more... which quite frankly, I didn't even think was possible. Arcanine is actually approaching Pikachu level of hatred now, which is simply astounding.

So yeah, because of that and the lack of the female trainer, I was really let down by this trailer, however slick it might have been animated.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:26 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Just wanna say, Gamefreak isn't against the Female Protagonists. Two out of the five Regions in the Anime made one of the Main Characters the Female Protagonist while in two of the five, neither protagonist is shown. May and Dawn have more publicity that ANY other videogame Character and are more important Canon wise than their male counterparts who were completely replaced.

The trailer had the male. Big whoop. Statisctically (as stated before) Pokemon is played by more boys than girls. The girls are a very small portion of the fan base. They are going to use a Male character to highlight because that is what's going to sell. They obviously did NOT do this with Gens 3 and 4 with Anime promotion.

Please stop harping on lack of female cause not its turning into straight up sexism based on biased opinions and is turning insulting.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Just wanna say, Gamefreak isn't against the Female Protagonists. Two out of the five Regions in the Anime made one of the Main Characters the Female Protagonist while in two of the five, neither protagonist is shown. May and Dawn have more publicity that ANY other videogame Character and are more important Canon wise than their male counterparts who were completely replaced.

The trailer had the male. Big whoop. Statisctically (as stated before) Pokemon is played by more boys than girls. The girls are a very small portion of the fan base. They are going to use a Male character to highlight because that is what's going to sell. They obviously did NOT do this with Gens 3 and 4 with Anime promotion.

Please stop harping on lack of female cause not its turning into straight up sexism based on biased opinions and is turning insulting.
..and this is pretty much what I was going to say lol, well put.

moving on... the part with team plasma on the boat... where do you guys think they were going? what was the point of the boat?

Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
When I first saw this trailer, I initially thought "Wait, is this a new anime series?" Then I came to the realization that it was for the games, and thought "The anime really needs to be like this!" Anyway, on topic, there's one thing that I found very intriguing about this trailer. The player is chasing the Shadow Triad through a city that *is* truly frozen. Now, I was thinking that the ice on the map was just covering up changes they made, but maybe I was wrong. I still can't know for sure until the games come out, though, because for all we know, that could have been a different area entirely.

As far as the rest of the trailer, I like the fact that Team Plasma is apparently still going to be the villains. The way they're dressed looks like that team we saw in the gameplay trailers that the rival was talking to in Nimbasa City. Also, despite Cheren being a gym leader now, it appears as though he might be a recurring character throughout the game, helping you fight Team Plasma. Elesa is still a gym leader with a new look, so that makes me wonder who else is still a gym leader, and are there any other replaced gym leaders?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning:7186626
Quote:
I feel like I don't really have the right to complain because the female protagonists usually end up in the actual anime itself but that doesn't seem to be happening in Gen V so I would have really appreciated seeing an anime version. Would it have been so hard to replace the guy with the girl in some of the scenes? I don't think it would have been confusing or anything.

Japan's pretty gender-skewed but it'd have been nice to see both protagonists get the same treatment. The female feels lesser to me now, like she's ot on the same level as the male and is only there to appease female fans. (And maybe she is, but part of the reason girls should be a choice for your trainer avatar in the first place is to show they're on equal footing with the guys. Excluding her from the trailer says the exact opposite.) Precedent for showing the male trainers more than the girls in promotional material doesn't make it okay to keep doing it.

I get that the trailer is something cool and different for once as far as game adverts go but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that they left out the one reason I have so far to buy this game. It's not a big deal to most people but I really, really like the girl's design so yeah, I'm disappointed she wasn't in it. Not overly surprised that she wasn't, but disappointed all the same.
I agree with you, but at the same time there is always the future. Yeah this is the first time GameFreak has made a trailer like this so if they continue to, maybe they will include greater things. Like scenes of both protagonists!

Last edited by Kaori; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote:
I agree with you, but at the same time there is always the future. Yeah this is the first time GameFreak has made a trailer like this so if they continue to, maybe they will include greater things. Like scenes of both protagonists!
the way I see it, the trailer portrayed what the games will be like, in anime form of course.

there wouldn't be a reason to have both in the same scene, it may confuse the audience to see them working together (remember the series is aimed at 8 and up), but if they switched it up, like the male in one scene and the female in another, that would work out.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
fdenture
Beginning Trainer

But it's still a little upsetting to have to keep the same starters. None of them are very fast. They have decent moves, but I'd much rather stick to Sceptile, Infernape, or maybe Venusaur.
For organic herbal tea whilst watching pokemon check out these sites: Organic Rosemary Leaf Tea, Organic Rosemary Tea, Organic Sage Tea and Organic Saint John’s Wort Tea. Herb Tea taste good and prevents cancer.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
And I find your comment insulting against those of us who do want to state our opinion on this matter. You are not the only one who is entitled to their opinion.

Quote:
We can always hope... but personally I'd rather see that budget used for anime style cutscenes in the game instead of a trailer that will most likely be all but forgotten when the games are in our hands. And of course, in game, they'll be forced to create separate cutscenes for the two protagonists

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Cutscenes probably won't show up until we're well into a 3DS game. (Rendered in 3D!) I'd actually like to see that approach. I'd also like to see voice acting, and I bet that'll be on a potential 3DS game too.

Rendering cutscenes for two different protagonists isn't that bad. See Fire Emblem Awakening, where there's a very large combination of characters you could potentially have; the various combinations of attributes would be impossible to create cutscenes with.

Quote:
The Pokémon Company most likely funded the trailer, as it's their role to do the marketing for the Pokémon series. GameFreak likely provided some ideas, but aren't actually responsible for the trailer itself. It wouldn't be the first time The Pokémon Company has contracted an anime studio (in all cases, OLM) to make a trailer - we ended up getting promotion "episodes" for Mystery Dungeon's three games, and one for Pokémon Ranger.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Mista T
Pityin' fools.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdenture View Post
But it's still a little upsetting to have to keep the same starters. None of them are very fast. They have decent moves, but I'd much rather stick to Sceptile, Infernape, or maybe Venusaur.
Serperior's base speed is 113, making it the second fastest starter ever. So yeah, it's very fast.

One of the things that stood out in my mind about the trailer was the noises made by the featured Pokemon. The whirring sound emitted by Magneton was oh so cool when combined with the random movements of the three tiny pupils.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Garbodium?feature=guide
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Void
Iron hand in a velvet glove

This is so epic I'm watching it again and again on HD :D
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Kaori
tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
The Pokémon Company most likely funded the trailer, as it's their role to do the marketing for the Pokémon series. GameFreak likely provided some ideas, but aren't actually responsible for the trailer itself. It wouldn't be the first time The Pokémon Company has contracted an anime studio (in all cases, OLM) to make a trailer - we ended up getting promotion "episodes" for Mystery Dungeon's three games, and one for Pokémon Ranger.
It's the first time they've put one out for the main Pokémon games, which would be why everyone is so hyped about this trailer in the first place!

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
One of the things that stood out in my mind about the trailer was the noises made by the featured Pokemon. The whirring sound emitted by Magneton was oh so cool when combined with the random movements of the three tiny pupils.
Well yeah. What stood out to me that I can think of rn was Emboar, actually. The whole fire thing/realistic sounds was amazing, especially when combined with the backdrop behind Elesa.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:44 AM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
I agree on the fact that the Pokemon did not say their names, but rather made what sounded like animal noises. Tbh, while some Pokemon sound cool saying their names, there are others where I would much rather them making animal noises. This is another element of this trailer that would be nice for the anime. Lucario, Emboar, and Samurott all sounded pretty cool... without saying their names.

Sponsored Links