The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old May 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
CASTLE FORGE

Intro:
Castle Forge is a voxel based game, after 7 months I decided to revive this using much faster algorithms and a better scripting front.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is mostly sandbox styled (eg. Destroy and build using block voxels) but unlike minecraft, I shall add different voxel types (spheres, wedges, steps, ect.) to make the terrain look a little more realistic (yes, I do realize that minecraft has steps in it.)

Features:

Well currently a VERY large map and a large fps (around usually over 100 fps) (the map size I use currently is 256x256x256)
Added a "chunking" system (chunking means breaking the map into smaller peices (32x32x32 in my case and half that for minecraft (excluding the Y factor which is 256) )) this makes the game rendering much more easier to render meaning more speed!

Bugs:
None

Screenshots/Videos:

Videos:
Spoiler:

This small video is worth more than a thousand images (but is slightly outdated (eg. taken this morning and uploaded earlier) ) but I have implemented a day/night system since then!

NOTE: Since I had hyper cam running (which really slows my computer down for some reason) the fps dropped down more than it should

Spoiler:

The next four are some images of day and night:

Some more screens (except with water):

Credits:
Hansiec -- All the scripting done (minus that of what visual c++ 2010 express includes and what ogre includes)
NoisePP -- Perlin Methods

Help Needed:
None for now

Release:
Current release: Version 1.0 Beta (Old beta)
Note: This is old, but is left out for anyone who is interested in what it did look like.
Download here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/198969-castle-forge

Last edited by Umbreon; December 23rd, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: adding credits
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Ho-oh 112
Advance Scripter

Nature: Hasty
Nice game you got here but a few questions:

1. Add the http://www. and then the link to your downlod

2. I don't see any transport system in the features (minecarts as an example...)

3. Will you be adding stuff such as wedges/spheres/ect instead of only blocks?

RMXP Poke-Essentials MySQL Trading System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...62#post7077162

RMXP Poke-Essentials Mystery Gift Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270687

RMXP Poke-Essentials Award System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7111566
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-oh 112 View Post
Nice game you got here but a few questions:

1. Add the http://www. and then the link to your downlod

2. I don't see any transport system in the features (minecarts as an example...)

3. Will you be adding stuff such as wedges/spheres/ect instead of only blocks?

1. done

2. Yes they will be added

3. Maybe (the wedges are a yes because I'll use them for steps.)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Dying Light
Assassin

Nature: Hardy
Why not just play Minecraft Classic when it's already there? It's even free to play on the official website. Unless you're adding your own personal touches or something of the like, it makes no sense as to why you're creating this in the first place.

Ally NPCs (Castle Defenders?) and sidequests (Millénare?) are already available in mod form. Plus, they're not that hard to install. Besides, Notch said that an Adventure Mode (quests) will be added sometime in the near future. If you check out the Minecraft Wiki, Adventure Mode is in the "planned" section of features..

What I'm getting at is, why make a Minecraft clone for the same exact platform on which Minecraft was designated, when there is already a free version hosted by the official Minecraft team?

Minecraft Official Website

Last edited by Dying Light; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
Why not just play Minecraft Classic when it's already there? It's even free to play on the official website. Unless you're adding your own personal touches or something of the like, it makes no sense as to why you're creating this in the first place.

Ally NPCs (Castle Defenders?) and sidequests (Millénare?) are already available in mod form. Plus, they're not that hard to install. Besides, Notch said that an Adventure Mode (quests) will be added sometime in the near future. If you check out the Minecraft Wiki, Adventure Mode is in the "planned" section of features..

What I'm getting at is, why make a Minecraft clone for the same exact platform on which Minecraft was designated, when there is already a free version hosted by the official Minecraft team?

Minecraft Official Website
Good point but here is why:

I'm adding:
Vehicles
Better objects (Spheres/Wedges/ect.)
Custom ally settings
Custom Village settings
Custom Timeline (Medieval,modern,future)

And I am expanding my scripting knowledge with this.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
Dying Light
Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post

Good point but here is why:

I'm adding:
Vehicles
Custom ally settings
Custom Village settings
Custom Timeline (Medieval,modern,future)

And I am expanding my scripting knowledge with this.
That makes sense, and I see that you're using this as a standing ground for your programming knowledge. In a way, this is basically your way to broaden your horizons. That is understandable. However, your following words:

Vehicles
Custom ally settings
Custom Village settings

are already implemented into mod form. Although, I do like your idea of custom timelines, as I (at least to the furthest extent of my knowing) have yet to see features like that. It would most likely be a popular function, and I myself would enjoy it.

Moreover, I like your progress. I just thought you were making an exact replica of Minecraft Classic.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:

That makes sense, and I see that you're using this as a standing ground for your programming knowledge. In a way, this is basically your way to broaden your horizons. That is understandable. However, your following words:

Vehicles
Custom ally settings
Custom Village settings

are already implemented into mod form. Although, I do like your idea of custom timelines, as I (at least to the furthest extent of my knowing) have yet to see features like that. It would most likely be a popular function, and I myself would enjoy it.

Moreover, I like your progress. I just thought you were making an exact replica of Minecraft Classic.
No I was trying to make a sandbox style game it just ended up as looking like minecraft classic. But if you got any ideas I'll add em in.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

That's like saying "Hey Game-Freak, why make another Pokemon game with these features if there is a rom-hack/fan-game with them?"

It's a great way to expand your coding language and to start off, and although I don't know much about game development and coding myself, it looks great. I'm even surprised you managed to replicate the game concept and design of Minecraft with GameMaker.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Dying Light
Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
That's like saying "Hey Game-Freak, why make another Pokemon game with these features if there is a rom-hack/fan-game with them?"

It's a great way to expand your coding language and to start off, and although I don't know much about game development and coding myself, it looks great. I'm even surprised you managed to replicate the game concept and design of Minecraft with GameMaker.
Well, how do you even know if Game Freak knows that some of these amazing (I mean amazing because I think our community has far surpassed and succeeded the official games) games/ROM hacks even exist? Sure, a member of the team could have viewed this site, or for all I know anyone of the PC members could be a team member of Game Freak. Now, yes, it is a great way to start off programming/coding/scripting/etc. But, at first glance, this looked like a project aiming to be an exact replica. But, as the creator stated, he originally intended this to be a sandbox style game. I applaud the creator for that. But, Game Freak hasn't even come close to the features our community has implemented. If Game Freak were to think about not creating another Pokémon game because a hack or development already had those features, they wouldn't care because it doesn't bring in money. Sure, it's a slap on the face and suggest that they make something better. Though they couldn't know if these fangames exist, they still make Pokémon games because they are for lucrative purpose. Since the fangames don't bring in money, they will continue making their own. Unlike Game Freak, the Minecraft team already has an official modding API. In this sense, they support modding, whereas Game Freak frowns upon it.

With that aside, it is amazing that the creator was able to recreate block sandbox physics into GameMaker. It is easily the best I've seen yet with the exception of third-person free-roam games on the program's website.

Lastly, for suggestions on features, I would like to see the following:
-Fully customizable character (define head/torso/pants/shoes/etc.)
-More randomly generated structures (like castles/shops/underground villages)
-Minigames (Not sure what exactly, but maybe something like defending a castle from a zombie invasion)

Last edited by Dying Light; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post

actually the basic system (creating/destroying blocks) was somone named Laurens not me I added onto this ALOT which makes mine better than 90% of those you see with game maker.

Quote:

Lastly, for suggestions on features, I would like to see the following:
-Fully customizable character (define head/torso/pants/shoes/etc.)
-More randomly generated structures (like castles/shops/underground villages)
-Minigames (Not sure what exactly, but maybe something like defending a castle from a zombie invasion)
1. Ok (as soon as I get the player's graphics setup)
2. I was intending this (but the underground ones is unike to me)
3. Alright if I get ideas for these then I shall do this.

Oh yes the original engine is here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/162646
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Dying Light
Assassin

Quote:

actually the basic system (creating/destroying blocks) was somone named Laurens not me I added onto this ALOT which makes mine better than 90% of those you see with game maker.

1. Ok (as soon as I get the player's graphics setup)
2. I was intending this (but the underground ones is unike to me)
3. Alright if I get ideas for these then I shall do this.

Oh yes the original engine is here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/162646
Wow, you have done a considerable amount of changes. Just by looking at the screenshots is enough to see that you have changed a lot of it.

I thought this project interesting, as I use GameMaker. Back when Mark Overmars was the owner of this program, it was the only program I would ever use. I still use it today, but as technology evolved, so did game making utilities. Then, I started using RPG Maker, the Quake engine, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

Nice progress from the base engine you started out with!
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:

Wow, you have done a considerable amount of changes. Just by looking at the screenshots is enough to see that you have changed a lot of it.

I thought this project interesting, as I use GameMaker. Back when Mark Overmars was the owner of this program, it was the only program I would ever use. I still use it today, but as technology evolved, so did game making utilities. Then, I started using RPG Maker, the Quake engine, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

Nice progress from the base engine you started out with!

Yeah I improved dungeon structures even more, I use 5 "layers" to create them I'm also considering making floating platforms in the sky.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Seems like a good idea.
Perfect way to try out your own coding, and the screens look good (I'll try it when i have times).
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Seems like a good idea.
Perfect way to try out your own coding, and the screens look good (I'll try it when i have times).
next release will have lots more than just this. I'm only waiting for new graphics for this and the next release will come out.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Alright next release is out!

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/198969-castle-forge

glitches:
zombies don't kill
the better block's are inverted (diamond blocks gives diamond ore and iron blocks give iron ore...)

Last edited by Umbreon; May 27th, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: url update
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Bump ~

I decided to get back to this, and well, I finally got something going with ogre and c++

to show exactly what I've done:

The terrain size is 256x256x256 (much larger than before)

Anyways, if a mod could change the title from [Game Maker] to [C++ and Ogre 3D] it'd be nice.

(I didn't see any rules about me not being able to bump my own thread, forgive me if I am wrong.)
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

You're always allowed to bump your own thread, providing there is enough updated status in it, to be worth while and I'm totally sure that changing the engine you're using and upping the size a lot is a good enough update, no sarcasm intended, or there.

Looking at the video, it would be nice if that big crater in the middle of the area had water, or lava, or some kind of filler.

Finally, will you be upping the map size any more?
I know it's a silly thing to ask, but look at minecraft and terraria, there maps just keep on going, and going. I'm sure it's infinite, but it takes up alot of space, if it gets to big.

Either way, it all looks good!
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Since I am low on textures at the moment, the white is really sand (or stone if underground) and the flat crater you see is actually water.

Anyways, I do plan on making it go on forever. (including height wise if enough people want)

Thanks for the positive comment : D
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Since I am low on textures at the moment, the white is really sand (or stone if underground) and the flat crater you see is actually water.

Anyways, I do plan on making it go on forever. (including height wise if enough people want)

Thanks for the positive comment : D
Forever height wise doesn't seem as good.
In my opinion, it would be better to add different styled areas further down.

So, Stone area 1/3, then Some obsidian or something and bedrock 2/3, and maybe a hellish kind of world 3/3.
But the areas could be very big, giving more of a challenge.
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Forever height wise doesn't seem as good.
In my opinion, it would be better to add different styled areas further down.

So, Stone area 1/3, then Some obsidian or something and bedrock 2/3, and maybe a hellish kind of world 3/3.
But the areas could be very big, giving more of a challenge.

Alright so basically we have:

Normal world (Dig a bit)

Bunch of Obsidian and bedrock (or something mineable of course)

Then something representing minecraft's Nether.

Alright This seems like a good idea. (Although I may add a Sky dimension which seems to be popular nowadays)

Let's say:
Height wise:
256 - 180 = Sky
Gap
128 - 64 = normal things like mountains
63 - 0 = sea and caverns

-1 - -15 = obsidian and bedrock

-16 - - 132 = Nether
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

If it's a world on clouds, then that seems a poor idea...
But if it's sky islands because that makes more sense than clouds... I'm all for it!

Either way, it sound good, and can't wait to play!
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Pretty much land chunks floating.

Anyways a quick update:

I did some UV mapping a bit and was able to register multiple blocks per image and block faces can have different textures (by faces I mean sides like front and back)
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Updates!

On going chunk generator:

As you can see though, it still needs some work... (Like the low fps and slightly slow generations)
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

It's looking good, like you said the low fps and Slow Gen needs work.

Out of curiosity, you've got that flat surface, then you've got the other video with a environmental looking surface, is there gonna be options to choose between the two?
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Yep, you can have almost full customization of how the map will be rendered, and how you graphics are displayed. (In this case I disabled the sky and chose a flatland generator) You can also customize the generation stuff (How far away can chunks be rendered, how many chunks can be generated/degenerated a frame, ect.) Something which I don't think minecraft allows : D Anyways, I might see if I can thread the map generation to speed up the FPS a bit more, in the meantime this is a good start. (Considering I spent less than a day on this)

In the meantime if anyone get's an idea of an option (by option I mean things like rendering options, chunk options, game types, ect.) I may add it (unless it's either out of reach for now or is ridiculous)

Next stop, actually getting some physics done....

EDIT: Fixed very FATAL mistake which lagged up a lot of things: I increased the block size up a bit which not only makes the world seem bigger, it actually fixed some lag problems! (By lag I mean I need to load a lot less blocks and chunks)

Sooo with that said, I can officially announce that I have a successful endless terrain system! (With 100+FPS when loading chunks)

Alright so I am thinking about some things, and I would like to know which people prefer:

A custom (capped) amount of Chunk rendering (Meaning you choose exactly how many chunks can be rendered and maintained in each direction, under a fixed value: 100 (which would be insane to render that many anyways))

or what minecraft does (Large Range, Normal Range, Small, and Tiny Ranges)

I believe customization makes a game better to the users, so I am up for the first

Last edited by Umbreon; December 18th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links