Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page DCC EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread

Old May 24th, 2012 (01:29 AM).
Crystal Tier

I for one loved The Avengers!!! I guess I was too busy enjoying the movie to analyze it's flaws and whatnot, but I thought it was a really good movie. I personally didn't like Downey in the film, but that's just down to me not liking Robert Downey Jr at all.
Old May 24th, 2012 (12:03 PM).
Silver Tier

Aw, I've really grown to like Robert Downey Jr. :( He wasn't as good in Avengers as he was in the Iron Man movies, but I think that's because they got to ad lib quite a bit in those movies and that seems to work well for him.

And speaking of ad libbing, that reminds me of something I heard a little while ago about the Disney movie Aladdin. Seems that it wasn't allowed to be up for a best screenplay award because so much of the genie's dialogue was ad libbed by Robin Williams.

I thought that was interesting anyway.
Old May 25th, 2012 (02:20 AM).
Crystal Tier

...Really? That's just stupid.
Old May 25th, 2012 (07:14 AM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
Where did you read this, Scarfy? For one, I highly doubt it's true. Unless the Oscar rules have changed significantly since the '90s, that is... In The Loop got a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination two years ago and lots of that film's dialogue was improvised. Indeed, its off-the-cuff sensibility was probably one of the reasons that its script stuck out as much as it did and got awards attention!
Old May 25th, 2012 (09:23 AM).
Silver Tier

I have no idea where I heard it. Probably from my one friend who is a walking pop culture encyclopedia. Feel free to spread the rumor around though.

Wait. Here it is. On the internet. Must be true.
Old May 25th, 2012 (01:43 PM).
Master of The Universe
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Some of the best moments in movie history are ad libbed.

[email protected]
Old May 28th, 2012 (01:38 PM).

That is certainly true. Off the top of my head, all I can think of is De Niro in Taxi Driver: His "You lookin' at me?" to his own reflection is brutally haunting and wasn't in the script at all. And it's so successful to boot!
Old May 28th, 2012 (02:27 PM).

Nature: Quirky
The scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy just shoots the swordsman instead of the planned sword fight is my favorite ad-libbed moment.
Old May 29th, 2012 (02:08 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by cacturne4512:
The scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy just shoots the swordsman instead of the planned sword fight is my favorite ad-libbed moment.
That...was....ad-libbed? This piece of information is certainly new to me. Amazing! It's a shame he didn't use the same ad-libbing magic there in Kingdom of The Crystal Boy Was This A Crappy Movie and at least attempted to redeem the movie.
Old May 30th, 2012 (01:36 PM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
I lied, I didn't watch FMP next

Have any of you seen Tweeny Witches? I'm half way through and this is awesome. It's so unique looking and the English dubbing is fantastic.
Old May 31st, 2012 (08:42 AM).
Silver Tier

Still have yet to see that new Indiana Jones movie. I don't think I'll ever get around to it. It's not even on my To-See List. Which is a real, physical list because I can never remember what I need to see.
Old May 31st, 2012 (03:48 PM).

Yeah, there's no real hurry for you to watch IJ4, Scarfy. You're really not missing out on much with that one. Everyone involved with it is kind of ashamed of it, including Shia LaBeouf, of all people!
Old May 31st, 2012 (04:33 PM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
Were they any less ashamed of IJ 1-3?

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old June 2nd, 2012 (11:49 PM).
Crystal Tier

They have no reason to be ashamed about the first three?
Old June 3rd, 2012 (02:12 PM).

We're all talking in questions?

I've only seen the last of the original trilogy in full, but that was really good. The bits I've seen of the first one were also good. Haven't seen Temple of Doom as of yet, but that one used to be the punching bag of the franchise until Crystal Skull came out and too that title with such gusto!
Old June 4th, 2012 (04:18 AM).
Crystal Tier

Oh god, Temple of Doom. I remember crying from laughter after watching the KALIMAH scene over and over, I found it so hilarious.

KALIMAH!
KALIMAH
KAAALIMAAH!!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2012 (04:40 PM).
meow meow meow <3
Gold Tier

Nature: Sassy

I recommend this to EVERYONE. She's pretty unknown but amazing. So all listen, and appreciate. Thank you.

White: 3353 7718 4050 | Platinum: 1162 3841 6089 | HG: 4985 8594 3873
Old June 7th, 2012 (02:59 PM).

Seeing From Up on Poppy Hill tomorrow night and then Akira on Sunday. Both on the big screen. So excited right now. Hopefully Goro's improved since Earthsea, so they both should at least be good... right?
Old June 8th, 2012 (01:57 AM).
Fascist baby.
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bear
If you're into independent urban cinema, I recommend a French film called La Haine, or Hate. It's about three friends who live in the outer suburbs of Paris during a time of violent social turbulence and their presence in it. It stars a young Vincent Cassel. Powerful stuff.
Old June 8th, 2012 (10:05 AM).
Silver Tier

So, been reading 1Q84 despite not really being all that into Murakami, but two of my friends are reading it and I didn't want to be left out.

I just finished Part 1. For a while I was just scratching my head at all the disparate ideas and themes being brought up, but now I think I have an idea of where things are going to start making sense. Well, except for
Spoiler:
the Little People. What.

But the way Tengo explained the plot of 1984, how the world's history and one's personal history can separate and lead to alienation or whatever, seems to be exactly what is happening to Aomame and somehow I feel like this isn't an accident.
Old June 8th, 2012 (10:09 AM).
Silver Tier

It's a lot better than Earthsea. Don't worry about that. The story flows a little differently from typical Ghiblli, but it's by no means boring or unwatchable.
Old June 8th, 2012 (12:50 PM).

I really, really liked it. A lot more than I was expecting. It doesn't look as nice as other Ghibli films, and I didn't realise it was essentially a teen-melodrama until halfway in, but I felt most of the emotion that it was trying to go for. I get what you mean about the story: there seemed to be a lot of plot, but that was an interesting development and I think it was mostly pulled off. Indeed, Miyazaki Sr's involvement in the screenplay is probably the biggest evidence of this. AND THEN THE MUSIC! OMG I really, really loved the score for this film. I do love Joe Hisaishi, but Satoshi Takebe did a really great job with it. So... yeah. It wasn't anything like I was expecting, but I ended up really enjoying myself. :D
Old June 9th, 2012 (07:25 AM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
Scarfy I'm sorry to trample on your topic here, but I really have no idea what you're talking about and I have some serious lols for you guys:

Quote originally posted by James Cameron:
I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4.
He's in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. Full article here.

It is the most hilarious thing I think I've read all week - I don't think anybody's taken him aside and broken the news that Avatar really wasn't that good.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old June 9th, 2012 (10:53 AM).
Silver Tier

You... you trampler, you! I was talking about books.

Yeah, but he said business. Avatar made a mountain of money. It doesn't have to be good as long as people will still give him handful's of cash.
Old June 9th, 2012 (03:10 PM).

See, I'll do you guys one better and respond to both on-going topics. Like a good mod!

Scarfy: My relationship with 1Q84 is really mercurial. I liked the first book, for the most part. The second book got bogged down in lots of graphic sexual politics, but was still readable. The third book, however, I couldn't finish. I got about five chapters in and just put it down, never to pick it up again so far. In the future I'll probably read it, just to say I've finished it... but, to me, the worst parts of it become more prevalent as the book goes along. Sorry to say, as I normally love Murakami.

Andrew: Avatar wasn't that good at being a subtle film, but it was good at raking craploads of cash in at the box office. While I don't think he'll get to Avatar 4 - diminishing returns and whatnot - I have optimistic hopes for Avatar 2. Cameron's sequels always tend to be better than the original films - Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day - and I hope that streak continues with this.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)