• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 8, 2012
I can't remember what I named my actual character, think I may have called him Pete or something. As for my rival...It's probably too rude to post here x) I'm one of those highly immature players who likes to give my rival some pretty messed up names :P

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Ash and Gary just like you. I named myself Ash and rival Gary for Red and Blue also.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I was way too young to understand any of that, so I think I called myself AAAAA lmao and rival idk, the same?!? XD Was wayyy too long ago to remember hahaha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I called myself Sora back then when playing Yellow, named my rival Brett as well. I was pretty young myself at the time but I happened to like the name Sora an awful lot so I decided to apply that to my character for the hell of it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
I called my character Dan (my name) and called my rival Robbie (the name of my best friend at the time).

Since then I nearly always use Red as my name, and whatever I think of as the "rival" character.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I assume it was Ash and Gary as Yellow came out at the time when I actually watched and cared deeply about the anime. Also, my wonderful originality and sparkling wit weren't as entrenched in 10-year-old me as they are now. Also, I'm really lazy. :D

Years
I cannot remember what I named myself or my rival. But I remember playing this game, up to the point of getting Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. It has been ten years, so my memory is fuzzy. One thing is certain, my Pikachu became delighted. He was very moody in Pallet Town, remember?

Aurielle

Warning : Choking Hazard.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
Probably Ash and Gary. I deleted it later and started over, but the cartridge doesn't work anymore, so.

Years
I was typical I feel. I just named the main character my name and my rival one of my siblings or Ash/Gary. I'm sure I would and could come up with better adversary names now, but in the mind of a ten-year-old your siblings name or Ash/Gary is pretty good.

blackmorale

風の行方
Years
I followed the anime, naming my character Ash and my rival Gary. I remember thinking "Who the heck names their kid Red or Blue?"

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
My brother had the names Ash and Gary on his Yellow, if I recall correctly.
We were fans of the show at the time, and I suppose the idea of naming them something ohter than their 'official' names was beyond us at the time.

The one time I went back to replay Yellow relatively recently, I also used Ash/Gary. Though I think that time it was just laziness, haha.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
I named myself Gary and my rival Ash.
I thought it would be funny and maybe it would destroy the universe, but sadly the universe is still here. I will try dividing by 0 next time.

Jacinth

~Darling~
Years
I hated the fact that I had to play as a male character, so I named myself Disguisr. (It didn't fit all the way, if I recall) I named my rival Gary, since I was a big fan of the anime back then. Not so much now, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My name is Jackson in Yellow. I can't remember what I named my rival, but it was probably Kiss me because at the beginning of the game, if you name him that it's like "Kiss me: Gramps, I'm tired of waiting!" or something lol. Immature, but much more clever than Ass or Dick or something.

Mentalii

Back
Years
First, I named my character Laura, my real name. Then, I realized that the character was a boy and didn't look like a girl at all, although I wad trying to convince me of that, so I made a new game.
In this one, I called my character Sacha and my rival Régis... Because I was 5 years old, and had no idea of which name to choose so I chose the french animes names of Ash and Gary. Not very original, unfortunately.

TheFinalBrandon

Frigid Heart
Years
I first played Yellow about 3 years ago. I think I named him Hairgel because his hair was extremely spiky. I named myself Brandon, naturally.

Max210

Ultimate P\/\/ /\/3|2Z!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2014
Well, I got my Yellow back in 1999, so I named them Ash and Gary of course. I was like 4 or 5 years old.

Back