• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Hi everyone. This is the hometown of my game. It is called Lily Town. Please let me know what you think. This is the first map I have really put a lot of thought into.

Spoiler:

Sorry for the squares and the selected space. I am just learning about taking screenshots on my new computer.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
oh the shadow gotcha haha i could not figure out what you were talking about got it

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Hi everyone. This is the hometown of my game. It is called Lily Town. Please let me know what you think. This is the first map I have really put a lot of thought into.

Spoiler:

Sorry for the squares and the selected space. I am just learning about taking screenshots on my new computer.

Looks rather good actually, only problem I have is the top exit looks rather big.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Ya I noticed that too. On the route that goes right above the town I am trying to shorten it up by moving the trees in a bit. I will also cut off the top of the map a bit. It should look ok then.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
When I meant big, i also meant in width too, but it could just be me.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Nickaloose- It's the diagonal cuts of the edges. There are some pretty jarring pixels out of place as I see. If you could do anything smoothen the lines, it would fine.

And yes, the drawing is the region of my game. I've got a bit more than half of the city area done so far.

Obix- Much better! Nickaloose got the few issues, but it really has some atmosphere now.

Rayd- It's definitely a solid start, but it still looks a little empty to me. Maybe just shrink the mapsize a little bit, or find some other tiles to fill up the empty space. Also, the ponds... are boxy. Ponds do not form in boxes. :c

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023

Spoiler:

Looks rather good actually, only problem I have is the top exit looks rather big.

I agree with Nintendork on your map, looks pretty good, although I think it's a few tiles too big too... I like the idea of having a gate house between this town and the next route/town/city, I've never thought of doing that.

oh the shadow gotcha haha i could not figure out what you were talking about got it

Yeah that's it haha!

This is my Route 03 map.
route03.png

Not much has changed here besides more trees... Some of the trainers here, though, are pretty tough considering they are just outside of Pewter City... Route 04 is North-East of this route.

EDIT:

Nickaloose- It's the diagonal cuts of the edges. There are some pretty jarring pixels out of place as I see. If you could do anything smoothen the lines, it would fine.

And yes, the drawing is the region of my game. I've got a bit more than half of the city area done so far.

Obix- Much better! Nickaloose got the few issues, but it really has some atmosphere now.

Rayd- It's definitely a solid start, but it still looks a little empty to me. Maybe just shrink the mapsize a little bit, or find some other tiles to fill up the empty space. Also, the ponds... are boxy. Ponds do not form in boxes. :c

Ah I see, I will look into this.

Oh okay, that looks, well, huge, will love to see how you do that.

My thoughts exactly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
AmethystRain: Thank you and i fix those problems

Nickalooose: I like it except the group of boulders at the bottom seems like you could make it a bit more creative i guess but thats just me

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2014
what do you think about the first town of my games?
http://foto.mercadofotos.com/salva123/Pokemon/korac.png

and also can you tell me a program to take map screenshots? because map maker 1.1 is not working for me, it gives me this error:

Script 'Tile' line 33: TypeError occured.

nil can't be coerced into Fixnum

Backtrace:
'Tile' line 33 in `+'
'Tile' line 33 in `initialize'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `new'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 33 in `initialize'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `new'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `generate'
'Scene_Main' line 127 in `update_top'
'Scene_Main' line 95 in `update'
'SDK::Scene_Base' line 104 in `main_loop'
'SDK::Scene_Base' line 47 in `main'
'SDK::Scene_Base' line 46 in `loop'
'SDK::Scene_Base' line 49 in `main'
'Main' line 12

Riansky

Purr
Years
Here I have Holana Cove, the cova of my unnamed region (I need one)!

holana_cove_by_rocket_dock-d51w3c8.png

Simple and nice. I rather see full map before I suggest you anything. So I'll be waiting for full map. The tiles looks really amazing and pallets are really nice too. good job on that!

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Here I have Holana Cove, the cova of my unnamed region (I need one)!
Spoiler:

Its just only a prev of the whole map, and maps dont need to be filled with alot of details/stuff.
But thankyou

Simple and nice. I rather see full map before I suggest you anything. So I'll be waiting for full map. The tiles looks really amazing and pallets are really nice too. good job on that!

@Rocket-Dock: Well I must agree with Riansky, I'd prefer to see all the map to comment, however, the tiles really are great, a problem I see though, how is there shadow from a north POV, AND, a west POV, on the cliff tiles? I do say it's preferred we see the whole map, but it doesn't mean you have to do so, just be prepared for fewer people to comment about your maps if you do post a quarter or half or whatever...

what do you think about the first town of my games?
http://foto.mercadofotos.com/salva123/Pokemon/korac.png

and also can you tell me a program to take map screenshots? because map maker 1.1 is not working for me, it gives me this error:
Spoiler:

Looks pretty good. The houses seems a bit blurry, and I guess the cave only has one exit?

The error is not for here, especially as this error has nothing to do with Essentials... I agree with mineox, the buildings are blurry, hard on the eyes... I don't quite understand the "cave only has one exit" comment though!

EDIT: I posted this on DA, but no one commented, I guess I'll post it here:
Spoiler:

I don't like all the little trees you have in the middle of the paths, I like trees as you can read from my previous posts... I'd remove them and make the path smaller or change them for bigger trees... Battling is almost uneccesary in this route too, you can almost skip every piece of grass... Apart from the mentioned, this is an alright map, I guess you have a new region in your game, will like to see more :classic:.

Nickalooose: I like it except the group of boulders at the bottom seems like you could make it a bit more creative i guess but thats just me

I actually didn't notice those boulders haha, I think I will change that now you've pointed that out to me! Thanks! That's the original draft of that route before I updated it to how it looks now, I obviously didn't change that part.

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
Couple of maps. A note about the maps. This game doesn't follow the standard pokemon storyline, the explanations might be a bit vague, i don't want to give away too much.

Spoiler:

This is a starting town. Its name is Vien
The top left house is the players, the top right lab building is a pokemon breeding centre. It can't be used till later in the game. The bottom house is a rest house/hotel type place for breeders. You also meet the person who explains what's going on there and who gives you your first pokemon.
It also has a pokemart, but it only sells basic things such as potions, no pokeballs.

Spoiler:

This is the top half of Route 1. It's made so that its easy to get out of, but not easy to get into. You unlikely to return here till later on in the game

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
Here's a map I did a while ago.

Still not 100% satisfied, and the mushrooms need to be recolored. I need to get ride of some of the ''curves'' too.

I'd be happy if you guys could help me make it better :)

Mountain.png

Mountain.png

Years
Couple of maps. A note about the maps. This game doesn't follow the standard pokemon storyline, the explanations might be a bit vague, i don't want to give away too much.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is the top half of Route 1. It's made so that its easy to get out of, but not easy to get into. You unlikely to return here till later on in the game

I rather like your maps. I wonder though, on the first map are they Pokemon sprites visible retained regardless of game progression; or does it change based on which Pokemon are kept there/taken from there?

Here is my largest map so far. This is Trelum forest, a dense area full of Life. It has one of the harder Gym's in the game; and it is rumored to contain over 15 species of Pokemon. Due to the fact it is composed of Coniferous trees, the most common Pokemon encountered is Pineco.
This link goes to the Map as it is posted on my DA.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Here is my largest map so far. This is Trelum forest, a dense area full of Life. It has one of the harder Gym's in the game; and it is rumored to contain over 15 species of Pokemon. Due to the fact it is composed of Coniferous trees, the most common Pokemon encountered is Pineco.

A couple of tile errors by the PokéCenter.

The map is huge, looks like a lot of encounters will appear here haha, lucky there is a PokéCenter within if Pokémon get tired... Why does this gym have a cut tree, a rock to smash and a boulder...? Is it one of the last gyms?

The trees also use the wrong peaks, it shows a shadow of a tree that should appear behind it.

I think you need more trees on the path itself.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
I rather like your maps. I wonder though, on the first map are they Pokemon sprites visible retained regardless of game progression; or does it change based on which Pokemon are kept there/taken from there?

It has been a loooong while since I've posted on this forum but I suppose I will give it a go.

At first thought I was surprised at the fact that there was a Center, Mart and Gym in a forest. It's unusual.. but I suppose I can't punish you for creativity, right?

Near the Gym, their is a Rock Smash boulder, a Strength boulder and a Cut tree right next to one another. I know what you were going for but I need to be honest in telling you it looks out of place and quite.. stupid. Don't take offense, please, it is not my intention to offend. But it does. Say you can only get Strength after you've received Rock Smash and Cut. In that case, is the additional boulder and tree necessary if you KNOW they have those two HMs already? Also, if you'll look to the SE of the Mart, you will notice a mis-placed flower tile on top of a tree tile.

In addition, those ledges look so out of place/pointless. Fix them so they don't look as such. Overall I would give your map a.. 6/10. It's not awful and after a few fix-me-ups could easily make it to a 7, perhaps an 8. Nice effort and good luck!

Here is a map of mine. I know it is bland, and I have actually spruced it up before but unfortunately, with the destruction of my laptop, that version of the map (which was much better) was lost. This was years ago and so I can't exactly remember what I did to make it look more alive.

fdsxs6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back