The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews

Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

Nature: Relaxed
You'd probably have to go over it with the moderator of the section in question, while technically it is an LP, it can be argued that Other Trivia would fit the idea just as well.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon

Nature: Lax
I would speak to both, BinaryPeaches and Netto Azure. If you PM them and link them here, might be best.

Also, tell them they are more than happy to speak to me about it, as I speak to Binary on MSN at times. :)
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Team Fail

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I'm thinking on doing a SMB Game Genie LP using one simple code: PIGPOG. And if I get my way, I can record directly from my NES.
Here's what it does:

What do you think it'd be like?
Just bumping this up. I'd love to have fun with this.

Team Fail

Community Supporter Collab
☆ ☆ ☆

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
TBgamer4life

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to TBgamer4life
Ok, so I am doing a pokémon Platinum let's play on YouTube, I am not able to trade so getting alakazam/machamp/gengar, etc is impossible. I am only able to catch in-game pokémon. I am trying to come up with a good balanced yet interesting team to watch me play. I currently have Turtwig, Bidoof, Zubat and Machop (to trade for abra when he is lvl 15). I was thinking of this type of team:
Torterra (Grass/Ground) -> weakness Fly,Fire,Bug and Ice

Crobat (Poison/Flying) -> weakness Electric,Psych, Ice and Rock

Bibarel (Normal/Water) -> weakness Fighting,Grass and Electric

Kadabra (Psychic) -> weakness Ghost, Bug and Dark
OR
Haunter (Poison/Ghost) -> weakness Ghost, Psych, Dark

Magmar (Fire) -> weakness Water, Ground, Rock
OR
Flareon (Fire) -> weakness Water, Ground, Rock
OR
Houndoom (Dark/Fire) -> weakness Water,Fight, Rock and Ground

The sixth slot is still empty, maybe a gyarados (preferably a pokemon that you can catch quite early in the game, I'm at the Valley Windworks). Could you help me decide which fire pokemon and which Sp. attacker (kadabra vs haunter) I should pick?
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM
rave of shaggy
Red Mage

Nature: Impish
I was thinking of trying a Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Sequence Breaker Gameplay.
Basically doing the dungeons out of order using various glitches and tricks

once i get a new computer...the last one broke lol

Longplays
Final Fantasy Restored Ep 1 is up
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBgamer4life View Post
Ok, so I am doing a pokémon Platinum let's play on YouTube, I am not able to trade so getting alakazam/machamp/gengar, etc is impossible. I am only able to catch in-game pokémon. I am trying to come up with a good balanced yet interesting team to watch me play. I currently have Turtwig, Bidoof, Zubat and Machop (to trade for abra when he is lvl 15). I was thinking of this type of team:
Torterra (Grass/Ground) -> weakness Fly,Fire,Bug and Ice

Crobat (Poison/Flying) -> weakness Electric,Psych, Ice and Rock

Bibarel (Normal/Water) -> weakness Fighting,Grass and Electric

Kadabra (Psychic) -> weakness Ghost, Bug and Dark
OR
Haunter (Poison/Ghost) -> weakness Ghost, Psych, Dark

Magmar (Fire) -> weakness Water, Ground, Rock
OR
Flareon (Fire) -> weakness Water, Ground, Rock
OR
Houndoom (Dark/Fire) -> weakness Water,Fight, Rock and Ground

The sixth slot is still empty, maybe a gyarados (preferably a pokemon that you can catch quite early in the game, I'm at the Valley Windworks). Could you help me decide which fire pokemon and which Sp. attacker (kadabra vs haunter) I should pick?
Just down to personal opinion, Haunter and Houndoom. You could always make that an aspect of your LP. Make it, sort of interactive. You leave the decision up to the viewers, wait a day or so, then go with the majority. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rave of shaggy View Post
I was thinking of trying a Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Sequence Breaker Gameplay.
Basically doing the dungeons out of order using various glitches and tricks

once i get a new computer...the last one broke lol
That would be cool to see. I would enjoy watching that.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
OK! I got 2 questions to ask.

Is it necessary to post a topic on the video game playthrough without commentary and splitting into parts? The only way I can do live audio commentary is if I stream such as Console Games and PC games, because my audio commentary would turn the viewers off if I do this and upload them on to youtube. I was thinking about doing post commentary like Valis77 does, but thanks to shift that I have to work, I can't do post commentary either because I have a relative that will come into my room confused, saying "who are you talking to?" I live with my parents and am at my grand parents house because I have to go to work considering that I can't drive nor ride a bike. So I figured doing the videos with commentary would take a lot of work, especially live commentary.

If I'm doing a boss playthrough on RPG such as Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars, is it necessary to post a topic about your RPG boss playthrough? My very first RPG boss playthrough was Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire (which got removed thanks to my fear.) Turn-based RPGs are long and can be annoying to do the whole playthrough because it takes long to get through each segments. For turn-based Strategy such as Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, and Final Fantasy Tactics, I'm going to have to do the whole required battles, that means I'm going to not record the video until I grinded enough so that my entire team is strong enough to defeat the enemies and survive.

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
rave of shaggy
Red Mage

Nature: Impish
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Sequence Breaker Gameplay sneak preview

Child Quest Route

Spoiler:
Forest Escape
|
Zelda's Lullaby
|
Bottom of the Well (Cucco Dive Trick) (lens of truth/bombchus)
|
Golden Scale/Ruto's Letter (Fishing Pond upgrade trick to get the Golden scale)
|
save/reset to start back in kokiri forest
|
Great Deku Tree (to steal slingshot)
|
lost woods (zora river shortcut)
|
Jabu Jabu
|
lost woods (goron city shortcut)
|
dodongo cavern
|
magic meter
|
din's fire
|
gerudo fortress (ice arrows/Gerudo member card)
|
spirit temple (silver gauntlets
|
save and reset
|
Great Deku Tree
|
Ocarina of time/Song of time

Longplays
Final Fantasy Restored Ep 1 is up
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM
DavidBarnes
Forever young.

Nature: Gentle
I am really wanting to do a Pokemon LP, but here's the thing.. I want a partner(s). I was thinking of doing Ruby & having the others do Emerald and Sapphire. Anyone interested at all?
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:57 AM
mondays suck
:)

I feel that we are severely lacking in the Grand Strategy department here - would anyone else be interested in an AAR of Europa Universalis 3?
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

AARs are great reads, and EU3 is a great game - I'd definitely be interested in following one. Any idea what nation/scenario you'd begin with?

Suit Up!

Haaave you read my LP?

-dary!
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:27 AM
mondays suck
:)

I'm a sucker for playing somewhat horrible nations on easy difficulties, so maybe something like Cyprus, Haasa (a tiny, dirt poor little state on the Persian Gulf coast of Arabia) or Qara Koyunlu (rather small horde nation in Azerbaijan, surrounded by the extremely scary golden horde, the probably even scarier Timurid horde and the Ottomans). Preferably none of these wait-for-centuries-and-then-get-annexed-nations like Kongo or the American natives though. Alternatively, regional powers like Pomerania, Korea or maybe the muslimless muslim states in India (except Sind, who belongs to the "horrible" department for me) on Normal.
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

God, you're just asking for punishment, aren't you? And yeah, unless you get extremely lucky with your first European nation you're going to have a bad time as Native American nations.

Suit Up!

Haaave you read my LP?

-dary!
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Kimbo
Trainer

Nature: Jolly
Hey guys, I've been of Pokecommunity for so long due to a huge backlog and a lack of wanting to do challenges, and college, and stuff. But I'm back. I've just started my own youtube channel where I will be posting Wifi, Pokemon Showdown (its like Pokemon Online for those who don't know) and I'm starting an LP on Monday, I was just wondering what to LP I'm feeling Pokemon Leafgreen, but I might blind play a hack. Though I'm going to post narrate, which means their won't be as much silence *hopefully* and I'm cool to check things out whilst recording cause I can crop it in editing. Does anyone have any ideas ?
Thanks in advance

Complete Challenges

Current Challenges
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9...otawaydppt.png
Random Pokemon Challenge (Ultimate)
LeafGreen-Crystal-
Emerald-Platinum-Black
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
shadowenigmatv
Unhatched Egg

where can you post your pokemon youtube videos to?
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
FiyahKitteh
Bubbly Fiyah kitteh

Nature: Quiet
Well, so I assume it is not necro-posting if I join in on this thread, since this IS the 'official' discussion archive, hm? =3
So, I just wanted to figure out a few things I guess, if I may?

#1 - I have some Let's Play guides from some of my friends and myself too. Did that thread ever become reality? The guide one, I mean? So we can post our guides and tips in there or should I just make a new thread myself and then people can reply to it with their inputs and thoughts?

#2 - From what I have read, I am allowed to post some feedback for people who made an LP thread in this subforum, yes?

#3 - I actually have another question I'd like to discuss. Does anybody care to join in maybe (I don't necessarily want to interrupt what is going on in here)? I'd love to figure out which Let's Plays are a bad idea to play (Basically like "Don'ts"), especially since my friend NiNi said how boring Pokémon LPs are in his opinion. I'd just love to hear some ideas about what people think would make for a "bad" LP (in the sense of boring) and what not. I am really curious; being a Let's Player myself. =)

Mmm--I think that's it for now. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowenigmatv View Post
where can you post your pokemon youtube videos to?
Uhm...do you mean here on the forum? If so, you are in the right subforum. Make a new thread (check the rules first!) and then go! =O
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
machomuu
Gungnir!

I don't think anything can really make for a bad LP on its own; it's more dependent on how interesting the player makes the LP for the viewers than it is on the game itself. That's not to say that some games aren't more thrilling than others pr vice versa, but with the right LPer, any game can be enjoyable.

Last edited by machomuu; December 15th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiyahKitteh View Post
Well, so I assume it is not necro-posting if I join in on this thread, since this IS the 'official' discussion archive, hm? =3
So, I just wanted to figure out a few things I guess, if I may?

#1 - I have some Let's Play guides from some of my friends and myself too. Did that thread ever become reality? The guide one, I mean? So we can post our guides and tips in there or should I just make a new thread myself and then people can reply to it with their inputs and thoughts?

#2 - From what I have read, I am allowed to post some feedback for people who made an LP thread in this subforum, yes?

#3 - I actually have another question I'd like to discuss. Does anybody care to join in maybe (I don't necessarily want to interrupt what is going on in here)? I'd love to figure out which Let's Plays are a bad idea to play (Basically like "Don'ts"), especially since my friend NiNi said how boring Pokémon LPs are in his opinion. I'd just love to hear some ideas about what people think would make for a "bad" LP (in the sense of boring) and what not. I am really curious; being a Let's Player myself. =)

Mmm--I think that's it for now. =D

Uhm...do you mean here on the forum? If so, you are in the right subforum. Make a new thread (check the rules first!) and then go! =O
1) I would imagine that if you had some guides you wanted to share you could just throw up a thread for them, as the section is currently without a moderator to conduct stuff like this.

2) I'm sure most people who post their LPs here are definitely looking for feedback of some description, it shouldn't be an issue.

3) I really don't think there are that many things one should just stay away from entirely. It's a good idea to not do a video LP of a JRPG or any game where things go quite slowly, unless you edit it. There are other things, like: never use a camcorder for a video LP - just don't; make sure your commentary is clear and easily understood; and be sure you're having fun, if you aren't having fun then the viewers/readers won't be having fun, and that is bad.

Suit Up!

Haaave you read my LP?

-dary!
Old December 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Kenpokid
Soldier From the Surface

Nature: Adamant
I'm wanting to make an LP of Rune Factory 3, but I can't think of a way to make the game entertaining to watch. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane250
I really think the [ROBLOX] admins are not satisfied with breaking the game, they intend to break reality itself.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
Hey, I'm trying my hand at LPing and was wondering if anyone could help me decide which Pokémon version I should use. I've been tossing up between Platinum, SoulSilver, or White as well as if I should just do a straight run or a nuzlocke challenge.

This will be my first attempt at a Video LP and I'm hoping to use this summer to practice before doing my first main LP series on X or Y. I would really appreciate any advice other LPers could give me about starting out.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Shin View Post
Hey, I'm trying my hand at LPing and was wondering if anyone could help me decide which Pokémon version I should use. I've been tossing up between Platinum, SoulSilver, or White as well as if I should just do a straight run or a nuzlocke challenge.

This will be my first attempt at a Video LP and I'm hoping to use this summer to practice before doing my first main LP series on X or Y. I would really appreciate any advice other LPers could give me about starting out.
I would go for SoulSilver; there is a lot to do in the game and there are quite a few activities thrown here and there in the game. Furthermore, perhaps a Nuzlocke challenge considering a straight run is something we have seen before and I think others could benefit from watching you if you do well.
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Shin View Post

Really it depends on what you want to focus the LP on, SoulSilver would probably be a lot easier as the difficulty is lower, so you wouldn't have to spend as much time grinding or worrying so much about losing. If you're trying to do an informative LP, choose the game you have the most knowledge on, if you can talk about interesting stuff that isn't just the gameplay footage, then you'll be more interesting. If you're looking to do a more comedic LP, then try to think about the plots and the like, and choose the one in which you believe you'll get more material from.

If you're doing a video LP be absolutely sure your recording quality is up to snuff - I'm not saying go out and spend a hundred bucks on a fancy microphone (that's for suckers like me), but go for something which records clearly and ensure you can reduce background noise as much as you can. And remember that programs like Audacity have noise reduction tools built in, so those can be helpful.

Most importantly, as long as you present your LP with personality and the quality isn't distracting, you should find an audience for it.

Suit Up!

Haaave you read my LP?

-dary!
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
Thanks Yuoaman, I think I've decided to go through Pokémon White. Since this will be my first LP I'm just going to go through it in a vanilla run, semi blind. (I'll probably refer to a pokédex every once in a while, but I won't really follow a walkthrough.)

I'll try to post up the first episode next week after I can get a mic from a friend. (It;s tough finding a decent XLR mic that doesn't squeal, luckily I've got a friend who does his own records)
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...

Just be sure to run some tests before you commit to recording. Even small changes in the position of the mic can have huge effects on clarity.

Suit Up!

Haaave you read my LP?

-dary!
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity

Yeah, if you want a good LP, make sure you are definitely ready and all set up. Like Yuoaman suggested, run some tests prior to recording. Try to avoid using fillers such as 'um' too often because then you seem like you don't really know what you are/need to be talking about. Usual mic and cam tests, and that should really be it.

Good luck! :3

Sponsored Links