The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
The thing about Avatar though, was that it was spellbinding while you watched it and then you left the cinema thinking "OMFG THAT WAS AWESOME" but the more time you spend away from it, the more the pronounced the flaws become. There was not one character in the entire film who was not a walking 2D cliché. And as more people have started mentioning this, the news spread like wildfire that it really wasn't all that good after all.

Then everybody stopped caring. There was a huge buzz for it, then as quickly as it came, it left. I know I don't give a crap about Avatar anymore, and taking five years to come out with Avatar 2 is only likely to make people care less and less. Strike while the iron's hot and all that.

I honestly don't think Avatar 2 will be half as successful as the first was lol.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I think the Avatar 2 would rake in about $200 million from the people who just want to see it to compare to the first film or watch it just out of curiosity, but not much more. Hell, it'd be likely to rake in less than what I expect, unless James Cameron manages to do what he's done before and pull a magically great sequel out of his arse. Otherwise, I hope he gets struck down by lightning or something before he can unleash this cataclysm upon cinema.
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I'm looking forward for seeing that, looks more interesting than a lot of Ghibli films if I'm being honest. Will certainly watch that in the near future.

As for Akira I only watched that for the first time last week, it felt somewhat rushed to me but it was still a really enjoyable couple of hours. If you're like me you'll be giving that manga a download as soon as you get in.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Esper

I wouldn't mind an Avatar 2 if he let someone else write the script for it. Someone with talent. There's something kind of unforgivable about making a sequel to movie with a glaring flaw and not addressing that in the next installation.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I understand what you mean about the manga. The guy sitting next to me in the cinema said that it was twice as long as the film (and also wished that there'd be a sequel made... a guy can dream, at least)! But... yeah. I really, really liked it. The beginning especially: those first ten minutes were pretty much perfect. The ending got a bit drowned in all of the spectacle that was going on, but it was still a really, really good film that deserves its reputation.

One thing, though: was it just me or do all of the main characters look exactly the same? By that I mean Kaneda, Tetsuo, Kei and... well, Akira. I dunno if this was intentional or just a happy coincidence - or whether I'm just imagining things - but it'd be interesting if other people felt the same way! :D
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

They certainly did look alike, I don't think there was any 2deep4u reason for it I just presumed it was what the mangaka wanted. Character designs really fit the story really quite well so I have no complaints.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Already found the basis for an Avatar 2 script.
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I have no complaints about it, but I was a little confused when Kaneda got introduced to Kei. I thought he'd found his long-lost twin or something... and then when he started hitting on her, it all started to make sense! :D
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Let's just hope he doesn't take his ideas from Eric Cartman again...

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Katholic Nun

Speaking of sequels, The Devil Wears Prada is getting one! Only in book form at this stage, but I remain hopeful!

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

How long will it be until Hollywood announces a movie sequel after this book comes out (assuming it's great)? 0.3 milliseconds? 0.4?
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:27 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Speaking of sequels, The Devil Wears Prada is getting one! Only in book form at this stage, but I remain hopeful!
Is it a bad thing that I actually liked that movie, and would even read this book?
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Katholic Nun

No! Why would that be a bad thing? The movie was fantastic! This is one of those rare cases where I found the movie was better than the book, but that's only because the ending in the book was less satisfying than the ending in the movie. But now that there's a sequel that entire point is moot, because it means that wasn't the end after all!

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Esper

That movie had no substance. Rather like the fashion industry, but even if that was done on purpose it doesn't make the movie any better. Zoolander is a better movie about the ridiculousness of the fashion world.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

There are surprisingly few Blue Steel gifs on Google Images. This was the best I could find at short notice:

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Esper

I was hoping to find a good gif of the walkoff, but this will have to do.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Katholic Nun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
That movie had no substance. Rather like the fashion industry, but even if that was done on purpose it doesn't make the movie any better. Zoolander is a better movie about the ridiculousness of the fashion world.
If you thought that movie had no substance then you clearly didn't get it.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Esper

Quote:
If you thought that movie had no substance then you clearly didn't get it.
Whether there is anything in a work of art to "get" or not is entirely up to the audience, I believe. If they, the writers and directors and so, intended to have a message and I did not see one, or saw a jumbled one, then I can call that a failure on their part to reach me, an audience member. Or, like you said, I could see it as a failure on my part to be a receptive audience member, but I put most of the onus (maybe 80% or so) on them to make sure that the artist-audience connection gets made since they have control over what gets presented to me.

Oh, I sound like I'm writing a paper for one of my lit classes. Dx

deviantart blog pair
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:56 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I've decided I'm going to read the book when it comes out. Getting me to read, you've done well Andy, that is something none of my English teachers in high school have achieved.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I just picked up the Dororo omnibus from Waterstones, anyone here read this? looks pretty awesome.
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Katholic Nun

Scarf, you indeed can call that a failure on their part to reach you as an audience member. However if there is a man on a stage telling a clever story and oh, say, 76% of the people in the room get it, I wouldn't be so fast to assume that the failure is on his part or that his story is without substance.

I've never seen Zoolander so I can't comment with any degree of authority, but your gifs combined with a quick Google search which tells me that it stars Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and *shudder* Will Ferrell say to me that the comedy is going to be derived mostly from people falling over, speaking in ridiculous accents and pulling funny faces. Definitely not my kind of movie lol

Vappy, that's awesome! I shall read it too and we shall compare notes XD

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I normally really don't like any of the three musketeers you mentioned above, Andrew, but they all play very different roles than what they're known for. And Will Ferrell is extremely marginalised in comparison to the roles he usually gets nowadays. Indeed, it's probably not what you're expecting it to be, given the pedigree of those involved. I'd definitely encourage you to check it out, especially if you care remotely about the fashion industry. Go in with an open mind and you might like it! :D
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Esper

Quote:
Scarf, you indeed can call that a failure on their part to reach you as an audience member. However if there is a man on a stage telling a clever story and oh, say, 76% of the people in the room get it, I wouldn't be so fast to assume that the failure is on his part or that his story is without substance.
Again, I'd say there is not necessarily an "it" to "get" that some do and some don't, but whether the artist and audience connect over something. Even Twilight gets a near 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. 2 our of 4 compared to DWP's 3 out of 4.

Quote:
I've never seen Zoolander so I can't comment with any degree of authority, but your gifs combined with a quick Google search which tells me that it stars Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and *shudder* Will Ferrell say to me that the comedy is going to be derived mostly from people falling over, speaking in ridiculous accents and pulling funny faces. Definitely not my kind of movie lol
Zoolander is... well, it's a lot of what you said, but it goes to such a ridiculous place it comes out the other side as something amazingly entertaining. Plus it has some fantastic cameos.

You probably think I have awful taste in movies now. lol Oh, I'd love to see us try to arrange a Friday movie night.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

All this discussion about Zoolander makes me wish I'd seen it, lol. I know that movie is my 'thing', but I've never gotten around to it, much to my chagrin. But at least I know of one quote, though!
Quote:
At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking.
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Esper

Time for a gasoline fight, everyone? y/n?

Anyway, I was Men In Black 3 yesterday. It was pretty good, though I'd say wait to see it on netflix or whatever you have. I liked the original MIB, and this was almost as good. I can't really compare it to MIB 2 because I can't even remember what happened in that movie.

deviantart blog pair
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links