Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks
Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Rokou
» inactive

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Screenshots are currently down due the fact that my host went offline. I will fix this as soon as I am back home.

„a Liquid Ocean remake” by Rokou

Introduction

» a few words from the author

Hello there! My name is Rokou and I am the creator of this hack; I'll try my best to introduce Pokémon™ Soala Adventures to you. I know my English is bad, but whatever, let's get started!

My goal with Pokémon™ Soala Adventures is a remake of Pokémon™ Liquid Ocean by Christos. Actually it will be more like a continuation since Christos never finished his project. The reason behind this project is quite simple: Liquid Ocean was one of the first hacks I ever played. Therefore, it has quickly become one of my favorites. I don't try to copy him or something, I just don't want to let this awesome project die. This is my motivation for this project. I also present this project in a early stage in order to share as much future updates as possible.

By the way, everything I do is from scratch and not based on the actual release of Liquid Ocean.

Basic information

» technical details and more

Name: Pokémon™ Soala Adventures
Based on: Pokémon™ Fire Red [BPRE, v1.0]
Started: 01.06.2012, 1st June, 2012
Author: Rokou
Language: English

Storyline

» what is going to happen in Soala

It's a special for Colin today, his father, Ethan, is showing him and his best friend, Nate, the invention he's been working on for the past months, and Mael, a friend of your father's, is going to give both of you your first Pokémon. Colin's father though, has left leaving a message saying he was going to help people with his new invention. This doesn't worry Colin, since his father has done that before, but when Kyle, Nate's brother, leaves too, without saying anything, Colin and Nate decide to try and find their relatives, while training to obtain the eight Soala League badges. In this quest, Colin comes across two groups which are "trying to make the world a better place". Is Colin's father and Kyle in one of these groups? What are the two groups' goals? Play and find out!

This is the official story from Pokémon™ Liquid Ocean; In order to keep the original idea from Christos, I'll leave most of this as it is. There will be also some additional characters and general improvements in future updates.

Features

» what makes this game enjoyable

New region: The region of Soala, with many different environments and home to all kinds of Pokémon
New story: A decision based storyline featuring both new and already known characters from existing games
Sidequests: Help people in Soala by getting them items they need, delivering messages and much more
New music: A great selection from both new and old tracks will double the fun
New items and field moves: Collect new items you've never seen before in order to succeed
Minigames: Tired training your Pokémon? Play some challenging minigames and receive rewards!

Screenshots

» first impressions

Updates

» more screenshots and other stuff

List of Updates:

Progress

» plans for future releases

Alpha 1.0
General adjustments including some asm hacks []
Tilesets and Maps [work in progress]
Some graphics including titlescreen and other stuff []
Scrips for Alpha 1.0 [all planned, work in progress]
New music for Alpha 1.0 [all planned, work in progress]

Team

» people who help me

My plan is to do as much as possible alone. Unfortunately, I am very uncreative when it comes to sprites. This includes both, overworlds and trainer sprites. Feel free to send me a private message if you think you are the one who can help me with this. Do notice: quality over quantity!

Credits

» for resources, inspiration or general help

Special thanks: Christos - For basically everything; ideas, inspiration and his wonderful Liquid Ocean
Other people: Fangking Omega, Kyledove, Zein, Saphira, Laidjon, Mateo, Baro, Avatar, E▲SY, Kage X, Amachi, TreeckoLv.100, Tare9, $_$, Coronis, SpriHackNet, PokéSho, Nakugetsu, Darthatron, HackMew, Wichu, Hiroshi Sotomura, interdpth, Mastermind_X

Last edited by Rokou; June 13th, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Ahh yes, a continuation of Liquid Ocean :D

I wish you the best of luck
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I remember Liquid Ocean in it's glory so it's great to see it being revived/continued!
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
Very well! a continuation of Liquid Ocean
Awesome
Hacks I support:

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old June 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Great to see a great hack go into seemingly capable hands. Good luck!
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
0shawott
Togepi

After seeing the title screen in your signature, I was anxious to see the thread for this because I thought the title screen looked beautiful. Although I have never played Liquid Ocean, this hack looks really promising and although you've kept the default tiles (which is not necessarily a bad thing), you have made the game look very appealing and the screens look beautiful so far. I hope you continue to work on this hack to the high standard that you seem to be working at so far.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joshawott
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Brave
Looks simple, and I wouldn't want it any other way! It's looking great so far, so keep up the fantastic work!
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
SK3
Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SK3
This hack looks amazing so far, sweet title screen! And the maps look good from what I see in the screenshots. Looking forward to updates!

Pokemon
Daydream White version

Want to help out? Just PM or VM me!

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Rokou
» inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Great to see a great hack go into seemingly capable hands. Good luck!
I am not Christos himself but I believe my knowledge is good enough to make this a quiet enjoyable hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
Looks simple, and I wouldn't want it any other way! It's looking great so far, so keep up the fantastic work!
This is what original Liquid Ocean looks like, I just used another style to to fit my personal preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK3 View Post
This hack looks amazing so far, sweet title screen! And the maps look good from what I see in the screenshots. Looking forward to updates!
The current maps are pretty outdated compared to my own style, just wait till I get to the point where Liquid Ocean runs out of maps. ^^

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. Here is a small update of recent progress.
Spoiler:

I plan to update this once every two days or something, thats all for now.
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
SK3
Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SK3
An egg shop huh? That's an interesting idea! Look forward to seeing some details about that

Pokemon
Daydream White version

Want to help out? Just PM or VM me!

Old June 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Nice to see another good (don't want to be sarcastic here) FireRed hack out there! I'll probably test this out when you've got a release up. By the way, are you using Christos' hack as the base rom, copy --> paste'ing maps to your own "clean" rom or possibly creating everything from scratch by your own ways?
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Rokou
» inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK3 View Post
An egg shop huh? That's an interesting idea! Look forward to seeing some details about that :)
It's basically a shop where you can buy different egg's for different prices. Currently aviable egg's are "Common Egg", "Uncommon Egg" and "Rare Egg", each has a certain chance for different Pokémon. They are pretty expensive though so you can not buy 5 of them in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Nice to see another good (don't want to be sarcastic here) FireRed hack out there! I'll probably test this out when you've got a release up. By the way, are you using Christos' hack as the base rom, copy --> paste'ing maps to your own "clean" rom or possibly creating everything from scratch by your own ways?
I use a clean ROM and create everything from scratch. I took some tiles and sprites but well, I credit him anyway so I guess that's ok.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbles View Post
Awesome idea with the egg shop, will u be adding 4th/5th gen pokemon?
Thanks! Some 4th gen Pokémon are planned, not sure about 5th gen. To be honest I never played any game which got released after Emerald therefore I have no idea what to insert when it comes to newer content. But I have something else in my mind, probably something like altered forms of original Pokémon. Remember the crystal Onix from the anime? Something like this will appear in Soala Adventures but well, more about this in future updates. :)

Last edited by Rokou; June 10th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Great idea with the egg shop, especially making it random eggs.
Will you be adding 4th/5th gen pokemon, or just sticking with the original ones?
The maps are perfect, natural looking, and great use of the original tiles
Good luck!
Pokémon Galaxy Elements
Alpha 0.5 Out Now!

When the world is in its final moments..
Where will you be?

Last edited by kebbles; June 11th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:44 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
This looks pretty nice, glad to see a continuation of Liquid Ocean, which used to be one of my favorite hacks. :) I like the Egg Shop too, It's good to see that feature has made it through from the original Liquid Ocean, it was quite fun. Will everything up to where Christos was be exactly the same?

Last edited by chrunch; June 10th, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Rokou
» inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
This looks pretty nice, glad to see a continuation of Liquid Ocean, which used to be one of my favorite hacks. :) I like the Egg Shop too, It's good to see that feature has made it through from the original Liquid Ocean, it was quite fun. Will everything up to where Christos was be exactly the same?
Most of the old content will be the same, yes. Well, it will have it's differences (mostly improvements) since I don't want a 1:1 copy of his alpha but someone who played the original Liquid Ocean will recognize the maps and the story. I pretty much finished all the maps Christos made so future updates may contain some of my own maps and scripts.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:05 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I'll be keeping a close eye on this project.
Liquid Ocean was a really nice hack, and was one of my bro's favorite.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
mavy42
I'm back, broz :)

Nature: Gentle
good luck on that....
i'm gonna play liquid ocean later....

i know this is off topic but how long is alpha 1.2 of liquid ocean? it's not in his thread...
or homy many badges can i get?
Bye PC !
Currently playing Brawl Busters, Grand Chase, Dragon Nest and Ragnarok!
Sorry!
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Saltsas

I have played Liquid Ocean as well good luck on this!Oh btw is this your 1st priority or you have school/work etc?
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Wooh! this is a great hack love the new tiles especially the titlescreen.....:D

Good luck on finishing this... :D
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Rokou
» inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltsas View Post
I have played Liquid Ocean as well^^ good luck on this!Oh btw is this your 1st priority or you have school/work etc?:P
I work on this in my free time. My real life is still 1st priority. :)

My image hoster encountered some serious problems, therefore some screenshots may not load properly. I can not fix this within the next two days because I am not at home, sorry for that.

Last edited by DrFuji; June 12th, 2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM
DaleH771
I know who you are.

It's amazing how with just 8 or so screenshots you've made me really want to play the hack. I do not usually go for games with basic tiles but you've made great use of them so far and that title screen looks incredible!

Demo coming soon!
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Rokou
» inactive

Hi there, I have small update which is more like a request. Do you guys want standard Fire Red sprites or Black/White sprites? I like both versions and want you all to take part of this decision.

Standard version: Fire Red style

Updated version: Black/White style (shadow is optional)

The choice is yours.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM
godlesplay

Black/White sprites are better IMO
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Yeah go with b/w, eveyone has seen the fire red sprites about a million times..
Pokémon Galaxy Elements
Alpha 0.5 Out Now!

When the world is in its final moments..
Where will you be?
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
I'd personally prefer the BW sprites, as the FR ones have been used in hacks many times. :P I honestly don't like having a shadow for every Pokemon, or using the full body BW backsprites either, though.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here