• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
Since the old topic died, I decided to remake it given I haven't posted here much.

So, which Gym Leader in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald was the hardest for you and why?

For me, Norman. His Slaking is one of the deadliest threats if you aren't prepared. It took me so many attempts to finally beat him.

SlitWeaver

Pokémon Champion
Years
Norman as well, BUT...

When I was younger Norman kicked my ass to be quite frank :/ haha but now that I'm older, I find that none of them gym leaders are really very hard. :P It's amazing what years of getting your butt beat and your face smashed in a million times will teach you once your older :D haha

When I go searching for challenges and the like: Battle Frontier. THAT was literally impossible as a kid lol

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
My first team in Sapphire had a few Fire and Ground types, and Wallace kept Water Pulsing my Pokemon. It took me like ten tries before I got a lucky critical hit on his Milotic.

Reddo

Happy!
Years
Norman was the hardest for me, Wattson was the second. I didn't evolve my pokémon until late in the game, so... I was defeated several times.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I think they can all be the hardest, depending on what is on your team. For example, Wattson can be annoying with all of Magneton's resistances, Flannery and Overheat, Slaking... and Milotic/Kingdra. But Slaking and Norman are usually the most annoying for me.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I voted Tate & Lisa, primarily because of terrible memories associated with Emerald. Seems like they were the only gym leaders to successfully set up on me, and once they did... *shudder*

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'd probably have to say Norman as well. Dat Slaking and all... But I think Wallace also gave me a hard time when I battled him, though I can't really remember the battle all that well. Just his damn Milotic!

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Wattson, in my noob years I just can't defeat him when I picked treecko :(

But he seems a breeze to me when I pick either torchic or mudkip......

Second hardest is Flannery in my noob years also still can't defeat her when I pick treecko or torchic...

Also Winona because of altaria having earthquake.... :)

Mentalii

Back
Years
Norman was very annoying to beat...
Its Slaking... How difficult to take down ! Strong with high defense skills moreover.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Tate & Liza. Solrock was easy to beat down, but Lunatone resists a lot...

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I recall having problems against Norman during my first playthrough, and Wattson occasionally gives me trouble when I replay the games, but for the most part, I find the battle against Tate & Liza the most difficult. At least on Emerald.

I think it's because at this point in the game, my procrastination on levelling up my Pokemon to match that of the Gym Leader's lowest levelled Pokemon (at least) compounds to where I'm really underlevelled upon arriving at Mossdeep. Or I'm just really dreadful at double battles.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Winona, Tate & Liza and Norman, and sometimes even Wattson!

Winona's Altaria usually always set up on me and swept me with EQ.
Tate & Liza's damn Claydol owned me sometimes after a few Calm Minds xD
Wattson's dumb Magneton Shock Wave'd me....
Norman's Slaking. Everyone knows why. Sometimes his Linoone could sweep me as well after Belly Drum.

7highstraight

Lucky 7
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Tate and Liza.

I never grinded much, and by the time i got to them my team would be seriously underleveled, plus i often picked pokemon with low special D.

Years
I didn't find Tate & Liza hard at all, they can be easy to take out with a Water or Grass-type. However, when they spam Calm Mind it can get annoying.

But yeah, I see that so many people find Norman's Slaking overpowered. It took me 3 attempts to finally defeat him.

Back