The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

Advertise here
Nickaloose- It's the diagonal cuts of the edges. There are some pretty jarring pixels out of place as I see. If you could do anything smoothen the lines, it would fine.

And yes, the drawing is the region of my game. I've got a bit more than half of the city area done so far.

Obix- Much better! Nickaloose got the few issues, but it really has some atmosphere now.

Rayd- It's definitely a solid start, but it still looks a little empty to me. Maybe just shrink the mapsize a little bit, or find some other tiles to fill up the empty space. Also, the ponds... are boxy. Ponds do not form in boxes. :c
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:23 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd12smitty View Post
Hi everyone. This is the hometown of my game. It is called Lily Town. Please let me know what you think. This is the first map I have really put a lot of thought into.

Spoiler:

Sorry for the squares and the selected space. I am just learning about taking screenshots on my new computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Looks rather good actually, only problem I have is the top exit looks rather big.
I agree with Nintendork on your map, looks pretty good, although I think it's a few tiles too big too... I like the idea of having a gate house between this town and the next route/town/city, I've never thought of doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obix View Post
oh the shadow gotcha haha i could not figure out what you were talking about got it
Yeah that's it haha!

This is my Route 03 map.

Not much has changed here besides more trees... Some of the trainers here, though, are pretty tough considering they are just outside of Pewter City... Route 04 is North-East of this route.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmethystRain View Post
Nickaloose- It's the diagonal cuts of the edges. There are some pretty jarring pixels out of place as I see. If you could do anything smoothen the lines, it would fine.

And yes, the drawing is the region of my game. I've got a bit more than half of the city area done so far.

Obix- Much better! Nickaloose got the few issues, but it really has some atmosphere now.

Rayd- It's definitely a solid start, but it still looks a little empty to me. Maybe just shrink the mapsize a little bit, or find some other tiles to fill up the empty space. Also, the ponds... are boxy. Ponds do not form in boxes. :c
Ah I see, I will look into this.

Oh okay, that looks, well, huge, will love to see how you do that.

My thoughts exactly.
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
Obix
Beginning Trainer

AmethystRain: Thank you and i fix those problems

Nickalooose: I like it except the group of boulders at the bottom seems like you could make it a bit more creative i guess but thats just me
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM
Rocket-Dock
Dragonite Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Here I have Holana Cove, the cova of my unnamed region (I need one)!

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket-Dock View Post

[Map Picture]
Its a bit small and simple. Not much to do wrong.

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
salva123
Beginning Trainer

what do you think about the first town of my games?
http://foto.mercadofotos.com/salva123/Pokemon/korac.png

and also can you tell me a program to take map screenshots? because map maker 1.1 is not working for me, it gives me this error:

Script 'Tile' line 33: TypeError occured.

nil can't be coerced into Fixnum

Backtrace:
'Tile' line 33 in `+'
'Tile' line 33 in `initialize'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `new'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 33 in `initialize'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `new'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `generate'
'Scene_Main' line 127 in `update_top'
'Scene_Main' line 95 in `update'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 104 in `main_loop'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 47 in `main'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 46 in `loop'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 49 in `main'
'Main' line 12
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
mineox100
Hey.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mineox100 Send a message via Skype™ to mineox100
Quote:
Originally Posted by salva123 View Post
Looks pretty good. The houses seems a bit blurry, and I guess the cave only has one exit?

EDIT: I posted this on DA, but no one commented, I guess I'll post it here:
Spoiler:
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Rocket-Dock
Dragonite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx_theo View Post
Its a bit small and simple. Not much to do wrong.
Its just only a prev of the whole map, and maps dont need to be filled with alot of details/stuff.
But thankyou
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Riansky
Purr

Quote:

Simple and nice. I rather see full map before I suggest you anything. So I'll be waiting for full map. The tiles looks really amazing and pallets are really nice too. good job on that!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Its just only a prev of the whole map, and maps dont need to be filled with alot of details/stuff.
But thankyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riansky View Post
Simple and nice. I rather see full map before I suggest you anything. So I'll be waiting for full map. The tiles looks really amazing and pallets are really nice too. good job on that!
@Rocket-Dock: Well I must agree with Riansky, I'd prefer to see all the map to comment, however, the tiles really are great, a problem I see though, how is there shadow from a north POV, AND, a west POV, on the cliff tiles? I do say it's preferred we see the whole map, but it doesn't mean you have to do so, just be prepared for fewer people to comment about your maps if you do post a quarter or half or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salva123 View Post

and also can you tell me a program to take map screenshots? because map maker 1.1 is not working for me, it gives me this error:
Spoiler:

Script 'Tile' line 33: TypeError occured.

nil can't be coerced into Fixnum

Backtrace:
'Tile' line 33 in `+'
'Tile' line 33 in `initialize'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `new'
'Spriteset_Map' line 103 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 98 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 96 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `each'
'Spriteset_Map' line 92 in `init_tilemap'
'Spriteset_Map' line 33 in `initialize'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `new'
'Scene_Main' line 210 in `generate'
'Scene_Main' line 127 in `update_top'
'Scene_Main' line 95 in `update'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 104 in `main_loop'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 47 in `main'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 46 in `loop'
'SDK:cene_Base' line 49 in `main'
'Main' line 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post

Looks pretty good. The houses seems a bit blurry, and I guess the cave only has one exit?
The error is not for here, especially as this error has nothing to do with Essentials... I agree with mineox, the buildings are blurry, hard on the eyes... I don't quite understand the "cave only has one exit" comment though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post

EDIT: I posted this on DA, but no one commented, I guess I'll post it here:
Spoiler:
I don't like all the little trees you have in the middle of the paths, I like trees as you can read from my previous posts... I'd remove them and make the path smaller or change them for bigger trees... Battling is almost uneccesary in this route too, you can almost skip every piece of grass... Apart from the mentioned, this is an alright map, I guess you have a new region in your game, will like to see more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obix View Post
Nickalooose: I like it except the group of boulders at the bottom seems like you could make it a bit more creative i guess but thats just me
I actually didn't notice those boulders haha, I think I will change that now you've pointed that out to me! Thanks! That's the original draft of that route before I updated it to how it looks now, I obviously didn't change that part.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Couple of maps. A note about the maps. This game doesn't follow the standard pokemon storyline, the explanations might be a bit vague, i don't want to give away too much.

Spoiler:

This is a starting town. Its name is Vien
The top left house is the players, the top right lab building is a pokemon breeding centre. It can't be used till later in the game. The bottom house is a rest house/hotel type place for breeders. You also meet the person who explains what's going on there and who gives you your first pokemon.
It also has a pokemart, but it only sells basic things such as potions, no pokeballs.

Spoiler:

This is the top half of Route 1. It's made so that its easy to get out of, but not easy to get into. You unlikely to return here till later on in the game

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM
titiy
Beginning Trainer

Here's a map I did a while ago.

Still not 100% satisfied, and the mushrooms need to be recolored. I need to get ride of some of the ''curves'' too.

I'd be happy if you guys could help me make it better

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
BrakeNeck

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
Couple of maps. A note about the maps. This game doesn't follow the standard pokemon storyline, the explanations might be a bit vague, i don't want to give away too much.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is the top half of Route 1. It's made so that its easy to get out of, but not easy to get into. You unlikely to return here till later on in the game
I rather like your maps. I wonder though, on the first map are they Pokemon sprites visible retained regardless of game progression; or does it change based on which Pokemon are kept there/taken from there?

Here is my largest map so far. This is Trelum forest, a dense area full of Life. It has one of the harder Gym's in the game; and it is rumored to contain over 15 species of Pokemon. Due to the fact it is composed of Coniferous trees, the most common Pokemon encountered is Pineco.
This link goes to the Map as it is posted on my DA.

Current Challenges
Ultimate Monotype-Fire
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge Thread-Arcanine
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeNeck View Post
Here is my largest map so far. This is Trelum forest, a dense area full of Life. It has one of the harder Gym's in the game; and it is rumored to contain over 15 species of Pokemon. Due to the fact it is composed of Coniferous trees, the most common Pokemon encountered is Pineco.
A couple of tile errors by the PokéCenter.

The map is huge, looks like a lot of encounters will appear here haha, lucky there is a PokéCenter within if Pokémon get tired... Why does this gym have a cut tree, a rock to smash and a boulder...? Is it one of the last gyms?

The trees also use the wrong peaks, it shows a shadow of a tree that should appear behind it.

I think you need more trees on the path itself.
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:54 AM
4th Gen Matt
Pokemon Onyx Creator

I rather like your maps. I wonder though, on the first map are they Pokemon sprites visible retained regardless of game progression; or does it change based on which Pokemon are kept there/taken from there?

It has been a loooong while since I've posted on this forum but I suppose I will give it a go.

At first thought I was surprised at the fact that there was a Center, Mart and Gym in a forest. It's unusual.. but I suppose I can't punish you for creativity, right?

Near the Gym, their is a Rock Smash boulder, a Strength boulder and a Cut tree right next to one another. I know what you were going for but I need to be honest in telling you it looks out of place and quite.. stupid. Don't take offense, please, it is not my intention to offend. But it does. Say you can only get Strength after you've received Rock Smash and Cut. In that case, is the additional boulder and tree necessary if you KNOW they have those two HMs already? Also, if you'll look to the SE of the Mart, you will notice a mis-placed flower tile on top of a tree tile.

In addition, those ledges look so out of place/pointless. Fix them so they don't look as such. Overall I would give your map a.. 6/10. It's not awful and after a few fix-me-ups could easily make it to a 7, perhaps an 8. Nice effort and good luck!

Here is a map of mine. I know it is bland, and I have actually spruced it up before but unfortunately, with the destruction of my laptop, that version of the map (which was much better) was lost. This was years ago and so I can't exactly remember what I did to make it look more alive.

Wi-fi Battle Record: 30-4

Last edited by 4th Gen Matt; June 12th, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Gen Matt View Post
Here is a map of mine. I know it is bland, and I have actually spruced it up before but unfortunately, with the destruction of my laptop, that version of the map (which was much better) was lost. This was years ago and so I can't exactly remember what I did to make it look more alive.

I can tell you what's missing in my opinion... Long grass, fencing, water, flowers... All that kind of thing.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
BrakeNeck

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Gen Matt View Post
It has been a loooong while since I've posted on this forum but I suppose I will give it a go.

At first thought I was surprised at the fact that there was a Center, Mart and Gym in a forest. It's unusual.. but I suppose I can't punish you for creativity, right?

Near the Gym, their is a Rock Smash boulder, a Strength boulder and a Cut tree right next to one another. I know what you were going for but I need to be honest in telling you it looks out of place and quite.. stupid. Don't take offense, please, it is not my intention to offend. But it does. Say you can only get Strength after you've received Rock Smash and Cut. In that case, is the additional boulder and tree necessary if you KNOW they have those two HMs already? Also, if you'll look to the SE of the Mart, you will notice a mis-placed flower tile on top of a tree tile.

In addition, those ledges look so out of place/pointless. Fix them so they don't look as such. Overall I would give your map a.. 6/10. It's not awful and after a few fix-me-ups could easily make it to a 7, perhaps an 8. Nice effort and good luck!

This is a nice base for a map, if I were you I would begin by adding some minor Fauna, and things of that variety. Small detailed features, that make more of a "pop" when the player is going down the roads. Right now, the grass areas just seem to empty, other that that it is a nicely placed map.

Nickalooose: This is my Edit or Trelum Forest, I will be adding some small road blocks for the Gym, but they are not placed for now. To answer your previous question, yes this is in fact one of the last Tiers of Gyms. Gym 15/18 to be more precise.

4th Gen Matt: With the Poke Center and Poke Mart, this area has a HIGH encounter rate, and has a large variety of Pokemon. Along with these facts it is the first real challenge on the way to the gym. It will have trainers added in eventually, mainly on the way down to the Poke Center, only one of two before the Mart. As to the Gym, I will be having a few Gyms which do not occur in Villages, similar to the Fuscha Gym off the original Anime. That is concept I loved, and was sad to see did not exist in the games(At least Gen I ,II, III)

Now onto my update. This is a newer version of the Map, it is not the final version as it does not have trainers or random items/hidden items quite yet. I used a more complex version of Mapping this time, to try and make it look more like a Forest, and less like a wall of trees with some road in the middle. Let me know what you think .

P.S. The path to the gym is also fixed so it is navigable. I also expanded the Entry-way to the North by one or two blocks, also for navigation issues.

Current Challenges
Ultimate Monotype-Fire
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge Thread-Arcanine

Last edited by BrakeNeck; June 12th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't had time for a while to work on my game. Anyway, I like all the new maps that have been put up, but this one concerns me. I think you have way, way, way too much tall grass. It could take half an hour just to walk through here. Other than that, I like it a lot.
Anyway, you might now remember me, but I posted a screenshot of my games hometown a while ago and got critiqued on the north exit and the ponds. I have fixed those now. I am out of time though and will post it tomorrow.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:26 AM
MaTe9usz6
Unhatched Egg

This is my map to my game Pokemon Shadows&Lights (only Polish language version) it name is "Forgom Forest".
Spoiler:

What is your opinion about this map?
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
fiOWNya
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTe9usz6 View Post
This is my map to my game Pokemon Shadows&Lights (only Polish language version) it name is "Forgom Forest".
Spoiler:

What is your opinion about this map?
4/10
The grass looks odd, grass generally doesn't come in little circles. Also, don't know if you ripped the trees, grass, branches, etc yourself, but the shadow/outline should be changed to something to match the grass. It looks really choppy.

As far as the map itself goes, I would probably widen the path just a little for ease of movement. I think the overall layout of the trees looks good (they aren't just in lines, they are natural looking). I also like the river going through the town, there just aren't enough rivers around. However, the buildings, benches, and lights seem somewhat haphazardly placed.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Now onto my update. This is a newer version of the Map, it is not the final version as it does not have trainers or random items/hidden items quite yet. I used a more complex version of Mapping this time, to try and make it look more like a Forest, and less like a wall of trees with some road in the middle. Let me know what you think .

P.S. The path to the gym is also fixed so it is navigable. I also expanded the Entry-way to the North by one or two blocks, also for navigation issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiOWNya View Post
4/10
The grass looks odd, grass generally doesn't come in little circles. Also, don't know if you ripped the trees, grass, branches, etc yourself, but the shadow/outline should be changed to something to match the grass. It looks really choppy.

As far as the map itself goes, I would probably widen the path just a little for ease of movement. I think the overall layout of the trees looks good (they aren't just in lines, they are natural looking). I also like the river going through the town, there just aren't enough rivers around. However, the buildings, benches, and lights seem somewhat haphazardly placed.
I think this covers it... There are no shadows for anything however... Plus the guard tower has a random white line underneath, you need to remove that... The lampost shouldn't be positioned like that either.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Ok guys. So I finally got around to remaking and taking a screenshot of my fan games home town again. I posted it a while ago and you gave me some helpful critiques. Those included making the ponds less boxy, making the north path thinner, and making the town as a whole smaller. I did not want to change the size of the map, unless you still think I really should. Anyway, here it is

Let me know what you think. I have more maps coming soon.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Aamelo
Reality Bender.

Nature: Quiet
This was my most recent Pokémon Map Made. I have uploaded some new maps for deviantART but those were done before this one. Let me know what you think. The tiles are a courtesy of Hex-el-Grande, Zeikaro and WesleyFG from DeviantART

Let me know your opinions. (I am not currently using this for any game)
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

This is a starting town I made for my current project. I have only recently started on this project, so any and all critique is appreciated.

Once again, I would really like some feedback, and I am going to post some more maps soon.

Old June 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM
mineox100
Hey.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mineox100 Send a message via Skype™ to mineox100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
This is a starting town I made for my current project. I have only recently started on this project, so any and all critique is appreciated.

Once again, I would really like some feedback, and I am going to post some more maps soon.
Looks pretty good! Since it's an old style, I'd keep it this way since too much details can make look strange IMO.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here