The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Jay the penguin

So where did you get 2C from when you multiplyed 34 by 2C?

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post
So where did you get 2C from when you multiplyed 34 by 2C?
IIRC that's the size of one item's data. 0x2C bytes.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Jay the penguin

I'm just being courious but is it different for each item or is it all the same?

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post
I'm just being courious but is it different for each item or is it all the same?
The 0x2C? That's the same for every item.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Jay the penguin

I'm still a bit confuesed here. the whole image comes out right but the script just feezes the screen I probably messed up in the hex edit, but idk. any advice?

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Tanveer
Beginning Trainer

Completely new item? Wow..
So many good guides on here!
I cant decide which ROM to hack lol.

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
Death_Mande
Avenged Sevenfold.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Death_Mande
Sorry if I'm bothering you, but while following your tutorial I accidentally indexed the "??????" after the Green Shard a 34, without noticing that my Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. The game runs fine, and I can receive my item normally, but I can no longer edit the items with any editor.

I have tried using thethethe's (sorry if I misspelled it), ZodiacDaGreat's and Team Snag Em's version of thethethe. Any ideas on how I could fix this? I don't mind if it requires some or a lot of HEX Editing. Any assistance is appreciated!
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mande View Post
Sorry if I'm bothering you, but while following your tutorial I accidentally indexed the "??????" after the Green Shard a 34, without noticing that my Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. The game runs fine, and I can receive my item normally, but I can no longer edit the items with any editor.
51 decimal is 0x33 hex.

I think you may have made other mistakes besides assigning the wrong index, as setting a bad index shouldn't break item editors. (Technically speaking, the index was already bad.) Unfortunately, I've no clue what could cause this problem or how to fix it.

Hopefully, you've been creating regular backups of your hack. If not, well... lesson learned. Sorry, mate.
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Death_Mande
Avenged Sevenfold.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Death_Mande
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
51 decimal is 0x33 hex.

I think you may have made other mistakes besides assigning the wrong index, as setting a bad index shouldn't break item editors. (Technically speaking, the index was already bad.) Unfortunately, I've no clue what could cause this problem or how to fix it.

Hopefully, you've been creating regular backups of your hack. If not, well... lesson learned. Sorry, mate.
No worries! I didn't have a backup xD! I opened the game with a HEX editor and went to the offset in which the item data is stored in. The first few bytes were rather screwed up, so I changed them with new ones from a clean ROM. I saved and opened the item editor and it worked fine! xD! Thanks for your response though.

I have no idea why the index was 51. The clean ROM I have has the same number. xD!
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Imperialdramon123
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
does this work for ruby?
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/GBA%20Hacker/Desktop/animation-Wilderness1-3.gif[/IMG]
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Would it be possible to make new evolution items with this? Or would that require more than a simple script?
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Sagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Conley View Post
Would it be possible to make new evolution items with this? Or would that require more than a simple script?
Evolution stones are trivially easy to make, and they do not require any sort of script.

Going from this tutorial, follow it up until the step on Item Manager. When you get there, go ahead and do what he tells you (the item's index, name, and description), but also check the values for one of the existing evolutionary stones (the specials and things like that). Set all of those exactly the same in your new stone.

Then, convert the item's index into decimal, subtract 13 from it, and multiply the result by 4. Now, convert the result into hex, and add it to 0x2528BC. Open up your hex editor, and go to that address, and replace what is there with "56 28 25 08.

Now, if you set a Pokemon to evolve using your item, it'll work.

Then, continue his tutorial through the image and palette inserting and you're done - you do not need to do any kind of script. For this method (and it is the only method I know of), you do not even need JPAN's Hacked Engine.

EDIT:
This is very late, but I should've mentioned this - this method works with FR. Offsets will be different for RSE or LG.

Last edited by Sagiri; January 9th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Robert Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
Evolution stones are trivially easy to make, and they do not require any sort of script.

Going from this tutorial, follow it up until the step on Item Manager. When you get there, go ahead and do what he tells you (the item's index, name, and description), but also check the values for one of the existing evolutionary stones (the specials and things like that). Set all of those exactly the same in your new stone.

Then, convert the item's index into decimal, subtract 13 from it, and multiply the result by 4. Now, convert the result into hex, and add it to 0x2528BC. Open up your hex editor, and go to that address, and replace what is there with "56 28 25 08.

Then, continue his tutorial through the image and palette inserting and you're done - you do not need to do any kind of script. For this method (and it is the only method I know of), you do not even need JPAN's Hacked Engine.

Thanks, glad to see that it's so simple!
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:51 PM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Nature: Naive
Quote:

That didn't work for me, I did all that but when I go to use the item it just goes back to the pause screen. What did I mess up on?
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Robert Conley

Quote:

I did all of this and everything seems to work fine except when I set Pokemon to evolve with the item they don't. For testing purposes I set Bulbasaur to evolve into Butterfree using the item but when I tried to use it it said it would have no effect. I'm not sure but the hex editor might be my problem, do I just replace the first four values or the whole 16 value line?

To give some more info:

I made the index number 34, subtracted 13 to get 21, multiplied that by 4 to get 84, switched it to hex and got 54, added it to 0x2528BC to get 0x252910.

Last edited by Robert Conley; June 20th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ark_Silvanos

convert 34 to decimal, so u should get 52 subtract 13, to get 39, multiply by 4 to get 156, convert to hex to get 9C, add that to 0x2528BC, and get 0x252958, go to that offset, the first four digits from that offset should be 00 00 00 00 (assuming ur using a blank space)

not sure if the math is right, so u'd have to check it.

An offset specifies only 1 byte. since ur hex editor displays 16 bytes per row, add the hex number of the row to the hex number of the column, thats the offset of the byte ur on. u'd start from the byte that gets highlighted when u use the goto function.

Last edited by Ark_Silvanos; June 19th, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: bah said hex instead of decimal
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Robert Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark_Silvanos View Post
convert 34 to decimal, so u should get 52 subtract 13, to get 39, multiply by 4 to get 156, convert to hex to get 9C, add that to 0x2528BC, and get 0x252958, go to that offset, the first four digits from that offset should be 00 00 00 00 (assuming ur using a blank space)

not sure if the math is right, so u'd have to check it.

An offset specifies only 1 byte. since ur hex editor displays 16 bytes per row, add the hex number of the row to the hex number of the column, thats the offset of the byte ur on. u'd start from the byte that gets highlighted when u use the goto function.

Thanks, somehow I completely spaced and forgot that the 34 was already a hex value. Tested and everything works as it should.

Last edited by Robert Conley; June 19th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Nature: Naive
Ok, I see what I did wrong, I was using a diferent item editer that already made the index numbers decimal. I'll try again and see if it'll work for me this time.

It worked! I'm so happy right now!

Ok, this is weird, I did the same thing again and it didn't work, I'm so confused.

Last edited by sky_queen3; June 28th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:09 AM
destinydownloads

Is there a way to actually add a function to the item for example the item should make the pokemon heal 90HP?
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Fantastic post, but they are only trivially easy to make if they act like the "old" evolution stones. That is, the ones already in the game.

If you want to create the function of the Dawn Stone, for example, you require extra code to deal with the male/female only aspect of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinydownloads View Post
Is there a way to actually add a function to the item for example the item should make the pokemon heal 90HP?
Using Item editor, create a clone item of a Potion. Make sure it looks like this:

(The reason I have ?'s is that I haven't actually saved the item to my ROM, the index I'm using happens to be 72, change it to whatever your item's index is). Obviously, you can have the price, name, and pictures be whatever you desire.

Now, on your cloned item, the "Special" values should be 00 and 20, correct?

That 20 stands for how much HP it recovers! So if you change that to 90, it will recover 90 HP. Easy huh?
(Note, I haven't actually tested it, but it should work in theory).

Last edited by Jambo51; July 31st, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:06 AM
destinydownloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Fantastic post, but they are only trivially easy to make if they act like the "old" evolution stones. That is, the ones already in the game.

If you want to create the function of the Dawn Stone, for example, you require extra code to deal with the male/female only aspect of it.

Using Item editor, create a clone item of a Potion. Make sure it looks like this:

(The reason I have ?'s is that I haven't actually saved the item to my ROM, the index I'm using happens to be 72, change it to whatever your item's index is). Obviously, you can have the price, name, and pictures be whatever you desire.

Now, on your cloned item, the "Special" values should be 00 and 20, correct?

That 20 stands for how much HP it recovers! So if you change that to 90, it will recover 90 HP. Easy huh?
(Note, I haven't actually tested it, but it should work in theory).
Oh thanks, but is there a way to create an item that boosts stats if held.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinydownloads View Post
Oh thanks, but is there a way to create an item that boosts stats if held.
Look for an item that already does that, and see if it has special values that work like those found on Potions. If so, then the Potion trick should work; if not, then you'll probably need ASM or something.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
chaoticlapras
Ziggy Stardust

Is there an alternative to NSE that I can use? I just did everything up to opening it, and my computer can't run it.

Find me on RPG Maker forums http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index....chaoticlapras/
I'm more active there than on here, if you need me drop me a PM or something.

Give me cookies or die...
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Golden Empoleon

How do make a item act like a pokeball?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
rosehudson
Unhatched Egg

Great tutorial, though I'm haveing one recurring problem.

Everything works great, I get my item image, name and price working and in place, and the index number (I think I even got my new evolutionary stones working though I've not tested this yet due to being between 3 computers) however, when I change my description pointer it seems to work fine but the first ?????? and masterballs names get changed to parts of my new description.

When I reload my game (in either version of item edtor) it brings up a 308 error and crashes meaning I can't add the rest of my item descriptions, I haven't had chance to test if the first ?????? and masterball work properly in-game yet due to a-mart not working on this computer.

Any ideas on fixing this?

EDIT: solved my probelm, it would seem Item Editor doesn't support repointing descriptions on ????? items as changing to item manager resolved the issue.

Quote:
How do make a item act like a pokeball?
All pokeballs use the same battle usage number and the same battle usage pointer. Have you tried following the pointer and recreating a pokeball from the data held in there? (though i think i read somewhere that creating a pokeball would require ASM hacking knowledge)

Last edited by rosehudson; September 22nd, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links