• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Disrespectful post comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I've recieved some in the past (for example, my most recent one), and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

It appears that the anonimity of post comments encourages members to disrespect other members without being identified as the commenter.

Respectful, constructive criticism of posts that you disagree with or feel are wrong is great, but putting down other members for differences of opinion or for making posts that you feel are otherwise no constructive is not, IMO.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If you would like to report a post comment, feel free to PM any higher staff member. Although there's no report button next to the comments, that doesn't mean they aren't under the same rules as the rest of the forum.

As far as anonymity, I personally agree that they should lose their anonymity haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Are they really insulting, or just in disagreement with you? If they're really that bad (trolling, insulting, etc) then definitely report them, but if they're just in disagreement with you, then I don't think that would warrant it. Though I would trust your judgement in this case as to what's rude and what's not. Unfortunately, people don't always use those for good reasons. But they can get in trouble for it since the admins can see who leaves post comments to who. There's no report button in there (I think), so you'll actually have to PM the admin with a screenshot I suppose.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Is this a PSA? Or do you want something to be done about it?

I think you're best off ignoring it; Not much can be done apart from telling people to be respectful to other members, which expected anyway.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Just ignore them. If anyone's too scared to directly disrespect you in a VM or PM you can take a moral high ground over them. :)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
^ That, and there really shouldn't be a problem because you can report them and they'll be dealt with accordingly. I don't see what the problem is, this is not something new. If you just report it then everything's fine right because you don't know who it is anyway?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
She said she received some in the past, and if she ignored them then and still gets them, I'm sure it would get increasingly harder to ignore. Just saying.

Just ignore them. If anyone's too scared to directly disrespect you in a VM or PM you can take a moral high ground over them. :)

This is also good, but I completely understand if you're just at your final straw with the anonymous attacks and want something done. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I generally just think Post Comments shouldn't even be anonymous, this isn't the first time someone has complained about abuse over it. They serve a good purpose, and when used correctly it would be nice to reply to whoever has sent you one too.

Years
I'll take this time to point out that any admin is able to check any post comments sent to other users. Like other occasions though, don't expect us to deal with comments that you simply disagree with. Appropriate infractions will be issued for anybody who sends demeaning, insulting comments.

The anonymity is for people to constructively criticise or make a small comment on without being identified.

But what's the benefit of that? If you wanted to criticize a post then just reply to it in the thread and if it's a small comment then just leave your name in the comment to let them know who did it. It seems that the cons of the anonymity of the system outweigh the pros in that people are able to make malicious post comments without the person who they sent them to knowing who made them. If you don't have the balls to make a comment to someone's face then you shouldn't be making the comment at all.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
But what's the benefit of that? If you wanted to criticize a post then just reply to it in the thread and if it's a small comment then just leave your name in the comment to let them know who did it. It seems that the cons of the anonymity of the system outweigh the pros in that people are able to make malicious post comments without the person who they sent them to knowing who made them. If you don't have the balls to make a comment to someone's face then you shouldn't be making the comment at all.

While I agree that people should sign their post comments and ideally they wouldn't be anonymous, it's not a terrible thing for the member to not know who sent it. If they report it and the comment is removed and the person is dealt with, why would the person knowing who it was change anything? Especially if it's malicious; instead of the person quietly reporting it to get it dealt with, they may end up confronting the person who did it, getting them both infracted for flaming each other.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
If you want to make comments and sign them, that's fine and that option is available to you manually. But some people (myself included) do not like comments to be signed.

Honestly, we RARELY get reports of people abusing the post comments system. When we do, we look into it asap. Half the time, the complaints are about perfectly valid comments that simply offer criticism rather than actual insults. But when people do come with legitimate complaints, we take them seriously--we delete the offending comments and warn/infract the person who left them.

I don't really feel that anonymity is that big of a problem and insulting comments don't happen enough (or aren't reported enough) to really make me want to take it away.

Years
I generally just think Post Comments shouldn't even be anonymous, this isn't the first time someone has complained about abuse over it. They serve a good purpose, and when used correctly it would be nice to reply to whoever has sent you one too.

/two cents

Post comments aren't used enough to warrant any change to them and it is very rare, from what I have seen, for 'abuse' to be sent to someone.​

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I can remember a thread like this from a month or two ago. Anyway I think one of the main problems with this is what Lightning said about them not being reported enough. People always make threads about them trying to get them identifiable while you can just report them and be over with it.
Having the poster identified would cause so much more trouble than having them anonymous, first of all it would discourage people to give their honest opinion because we all know that is scary because we are scared of being judged or criticized (so it takes away the purpose completely), and second, when someone /does/ dare to give their opinion there's the possibility of it just creating an argument with the receiver because they couldn't take it well.

Years
Question: Why do you care so much about what people think about you on the internet?

Some people aren't as thick skinned as others. It is understandable for people to get upset if they are receiving hate/abuse from others; only natural for people to get upset.
So it is a valid to bring it up if someone has a problem with it, but going back to my original point, I don't see or hear much abuse at all.​

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I'm not trying to call-out any specific members, but this problem has been on-going for me, and from the looks of some of the replies to this thread, I'm not the only one. I made this thread to draw attention to the problem in general, not just the comments that I've been receiving.

I understand if the staff wants to keep them anonymous, but perhaps adding a report button next to post comments would help. Staff would still be the ones to judge whether the report has merit or not.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
That's a great idea if it can be implemented. But considering the report system is all made by Audy, he'd have to code it into the report system so it's a matter of his own free time and other tasks :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
A report button on post comments would be great - I don't really understand why they didn't come with one in the first place tbh. If it's doable then I certainly think we should add that feature, but if not then taking these issues up in PM with hstaff is a viable alternative that some people already use.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Just as likely as people reporting VMs that they disagree with, or PMs, or posts. If it's not a valid report, it would just get closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back