The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Shaly
#IshallPlayNoMatterWhatYo uSay

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaly Send a message via Skype™ to Shaly

Advertise here
No more updates ? don't abandon!
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaly View Post
No more updates ? don't abandon!
Don't worry this game isn't abandoned, having a major update really, new scripts, Essentials upgrade, more maps being completed, more events being done, more graphics being drawn up, more of the storyline implemented, lot's to do within the game, lot's of NPC's added and more!

The game thus far has been evented all the way up to badge 7 of 8 now, when badge 8 is done, I will play test a couple times, then a download will be available and if no errors persist after my play testing, then I guess this game will be a finished game, (excluding a few graphics missing... Also, I have something special planned for after the Pokémon League too.) which I will be pleased to announce, not too long now .

Need Some help though if anyone is interested, please look at OP...

Sorry for lack of updates, been sorting everything out and getting the game somewhat complete, I will post a lot of screenshots and update the OP during my game testing, so you all can see what I've been up to.

Last edited by Nickalooose; April 27th, 2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammer
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Shaly

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaly Send a message via Skype™ to Shaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
Don't worry this game isn't abandoned, having a major update really, new scripts, Essentials upgrade, more maps being completed, more events being done, more graphics being drawn up, more of the storyline implemented, lot's to do within the game, lot's of NPC's added and more!

The game thus far has been evented all the way up to badge 7 of 8 now, when badge 8 is done, I will play test a couple times, then a download will be available and if no errors persist after my play testing, then I guess this game will be a finished game, (excluding a few graphics missing... Also, I have something special planned for after the Pokémon League too.) which I will be pleased to announce, not too long now .

Need Some help though if anyone is interested, please look at OP...

Sorry for lack of updates, been sorting everything out and getting the game somewhat complete, I will post a lot of screenshots and update the OP during my game testing, so you all can see what I've been up to.

Glad to hear all of that! U got my full support! Can't wait to play it!:D
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
NovaNinja17
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Gentle
This game sounds pretty cool :] and if I had any experience with making stuff like this, I'd totally help you. But, as it is, I don't so all I can offer you is my best wishes and the hope that this game gets finished!

I love the idea of this!
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Thanks for the support guys, Homeward Bound is still in progress, just very slow as I am on my own, and I'm going through graphics myself which takes longer with my lack of skills in that region... The game is still coming along however, and errors with scripts I had before have been ironed out, There is not enough time in the day and by the time I've evented and such, the day is gone and I cannot produce new screenshots... As it stands at the moment, I've almost completed it and will move on to something after the Pokémon League for you guys, I'm currently working on a new system that will hopefully be a nice new addition and you guys won't hate me for it, and when I've worked on it alot more and got it 100% working, I will show you guys, until then, bare with me.

I've changed so much since my last update which is bad on my part as you're not getting the updates you deserve and need, I'm strangely adding fakemons in to the game, but they won't have that much a big part as you'd think, just a few cameos and such.

Events are almost perfect, a few grammer issues, but I'm slowly sorting through those.

I have over 800 trainers for you guys to challenge, get challenged by, re-battle, and test your knowledge with and about Pokémon... Believe me, if you try and go for a team of Charizard, Gyarados, Dragonite, Snorlax, an Eeveelution and Slowbro... and think you will win the Pokémon League! Think again! Trainers and are all somewhat different as you may see within your games or someone else's game... Your Pokémon can become super strong as a Weedle or a Voltorb, you no longer have to evolve your favourite Pokémon for them to be strong (it helps, but not by much.), so beating the Pokémon League with a Sandshrew is possible, all through training.

No more do you have to grind your way to the top, train with your friends, train with your Pokémon and meet new friends who can give your Pokémon new attributes to go through the Pokémon world... Wild Pokémon battles are not all that relevant but to gain levels and nice little stat boosts to help in your journey.

Wild Pokémon can now flee from battle, each Pokémon has a different flee rate and can flee at any time, more on this will come when I've perfected this, it works, but some problems, nothing that can't be adjusted or removed until further notice anyway.

Gym Leaders are tough, they know what they are doing, go in unprepared and you will lose, apart from the first couple of gyms, which have tutorial purposes, the other gyms have a minor twist for your enjoyment.

Despite Maruno's new update with slot machines, I will not have a game corner in my game... This is a nice little twist in the game too, you should enjoy this, I hope haha.

I've recently come across new information to do with Evolutions and now most, if not all, evolve somewhat defferently... Aren't I nice giving you something new to do haha.

Each main character you come across or rival or whomever you meet has a different style of battle, this can be fun or frustrating, depending on how you have trained.

Losing a battle also doesn't mean anything in this game, it's just another battle and possibly more experience, don't fret if you lose, --->it doesn't matter<---... See how nice I am to you guys.

Do you like when you see a Pokémon that randomly makes an appearence, does it make you smile, does it make you want to capture it, does it make you angry that you can't do anything about it, well guess what, this game will make you be all the above, Pokémon make appearences in strange and mysterious ways... After all, some Pokémon have clearly migrated from KANTO to JOHTO, right?!

Keeping your cool is what will make you be Pokémon League champion, don't rush, don't jump into things without proper preperation, a nice hint for you here is, don't just have a moveset of:
TACKLE, DOUBLE EDGE, SCRATCH, TAKEDOWN... Mix it up:
TACKLE, LEER, TAKEDOWN, AGILITY... Status moves help you win battles too.

HM's are gone, why have an HM slave?! FLY and SURF and what not, are moves, but you will probably never use them... The HM itself is in-game, but you cannot junction them to any Pokémon.

Lance makes an appearence as does Lorelei, Koga and Bruno... There are also some other characters you may of liked... AJ makes an appearence too.

Team Rocket are in-game, but they have less of a story line than original ideas, after all, Jessie and James are after Pikachu, not you, Giovanni has other plans too, his motive for being back in KANTO is of a new plan.

Your mother can now hold money for you, withdraw and deposit as you wish... Short jobs will get you the money you need to buy Potion and PokéBalls.

Capturing Pokémon, even useless ones, help for another purpose as opposed to just filling the PokéDex... Filling the PokéDex earns new unlockables too, capture, capture, capture.

The HYPE mode that is added! Gives you a slight boost in stats and in some cases can make you win battles you should never win... A fine example would be the Pikachu, Onix match in the Animé.

I'm sorry there is so much I've done, but listing them will take hours... So hopefully this will keep you interested for the time being...

Area:Status:%done:Level/Info:Priority
Gyms:[||||||||||||||] 100.0%: Easy/Done: Low
Story:[||||||||||||||] 100.0%: Easy/Done: Low
Region:[||||||||||||||] 99.9%: Easy/A couple maps need finishing touches: Low
Events:[||||||||||||||]: 80.0%: Easy/A few more events and done: High
Battles:[||||||||||||||] 80.0%: Easy/Just a few more battles and done: High
Encounters:[||||||||||||||] 50.0%: Easy/It's long winded: Low
Graphics:[||||||||||||||] 50.0%: Hard/Need so many: High
Grammer:[||||||||||||||] 50.0%: Medium/Just need to go through events: Medium
PokémonLeague:[||||||||||||||] 15.0%: Medium/Events need doing: Medium

Please keep the comments coming, it helps me.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Shaly

AWEEEESOOOOMMMEEEE!

I support this to the end!
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM
blazerj13
Impossibly Possible~

Nature: Adamant
B-E-A-Utiful! verr unique game, cant wait to play it, i wanna be the first to hear of the final release! i support you, go for it!
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

When I get the final release you will all be informed, trust me, I'm quite excited to get this game out just as much as you are to play haha.

New update:

I've created a few more FakeMon! I also have a very special FakeMon which will be released at a later date due to it's specialness haha, I may even have a specific event to capture this one... (It's not legendary)... I really want to show you this one, but due to what it is, I'm pretty sure people will steal it, so this can wait til the game is released... If I can keep my mouth shut haha.

Here are a couple of new ones, I'm still working on a few, but these I think are finished. Don't steal these either please.

Let me explain a little:

These are part of the Ant family Pokémon
Top row = Normal
Bottom row = Shiny
Type 1 = Bug
Type 2 = Fire
The queen however, I may consider making her Bug/Flying, kind of like BUTTERFREE, I haven't thought this much through yet.

As you will probably notice straight off, is that the first 2 on each line are different somehow.

Sprite 1 = Female
Sprite 2 = Male
Sprite 3 = Queen.

You've probably guessed already, ONLY the female will evolve, but, they are also classed as 2 different Pokémon, as although they are the same ant, they are different species, the move sets are different one way or another, the abilities are different too.

The differences are that, the Male and Female have different style antenea, the males are longer due to the strength this Pokémon will hold, the females are smaller for speed and nimbleness... The males have "teeth" (I'm not sure what you would call these haha)... Another addition to the move set obviously.

The males have the ability, FlameBody.
The females and the queen has the ability, Rivalry.

The males have a more attacking moveset in this order of learning:
Spoiler:

LEER,SCRATCH,TACKLE,SANDATTACK,BITE,STOMP,SWORDSDANCE,WILLOWISP,FLAMETHROWER,CRUNCH,METALCLAW,DIG

The females have more to speed:
Spoiler:

LEER,TACKLE,EMBER,GLARE,DOUBLETEAM,AGILITY,WILLOWISP,SUNNYDAY,FLAMETHROWER,QUIVERDANCE,SAFEGUARD,BITE

The queen has a veriety moveset, mixed between, attack and defence and cannot learn some moves the female ant can learn:
Spoiler:

LEER,WINGATTACK,EMBER,GLARE,BITE,SANDATTACK,GUST,SUNNYDAY,CONFUSERAY,FURYCUTTER,DEFENDORDER,PURSUIT,FURYSWIPES,HEALORDER,TOXIC,SLASH,CAPTIVATE,ATTACKORDER,METALCLAW,OVERHEAT

I still need a spriter, if anyone is interested... I think I'm getting better at it, but it would be nice to have a pro along side of me haha... I won't allow you to do all the work, I will help you, if not do most myself, so it's not a big job for you, as you can see, I do sprites myself.
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Rick1234
Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium Version.

Nature: Quiet
Sounds like a good game. I saw a preview on youtube maybe (Not sure) yesterday it looked really good.
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

I will hopefully have a video by tonight which will show Pokémon Battles and Roaming Pokémon...

OR

A video of me playing through a few of the events and maps...

Haven't decided yet, maybe you can decide what you want, and I'll produce that by the end of the night.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
khkramer

I'd like to see some of the events and map

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Ah, the video evidentally has been put on hold, the video recorder I was going to use doesn't like to work on Vista, so I'm trying to find a good one, but all I keep finding crappy ones...

Instead, I will get more screen shots up together and show a bit that way *Sigh*.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM
khkramer

http://camstudio.org/ try this

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

That's the one that doesn't work on Vista
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Hypercam would probably be your best bet on Vista and 7 based systems. Also, when you post things that you made and don't wan't stolen, just blur them out with jpeg. Thats the best method that I have run into through my experience.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

I was kind of hoping hypercam wasn't the way to go, it puts a stupid watermark in the corner and it looks horrible... Well I suppose I will have to go with that... I guess, videos aren't what makes the game, it brings the fans... Yeah I usually do save them in JPEG, but they are posted here so if any jackass decides they want to steal them, then they will be cursed and they will die of aids... Nonetheless, I created these a long time ago, I just recently posted them here, I will just screenshot when I made them and show the noob what a jabroni he/she is... Sorry for the graphic content... I hate thieves!!!

Production is still going great, I'm learning so many new things with Essentials and scripting that I change my game so many times haha! Progress is still on-going tho, my starters have change, again, haha! The way you get the starter has also changed! *Sigh*

I guess, when I download hypercam, I will have a video up and running of the game play up to -Pewter City-, I won't battle the leader, that is your job, I know how to beat him with ease and what Pokémon are where etc. So I will leave the gym leaders up to you, instead, I may just use a temp switch to bypass the gym or gyms, and show you a bit more gameplay, I will most probably skip most battles except wild encounters...

Saying Encounters... I would like peoples opinions on this:

Should I reveal the Pokémon locations;
  1. Only Reveal Commons.
  2. Reveal Commons and Uncommons.
  3. Reveal up to Rares.
  4. Reveal all Pokémon locations.
  5. None of the above.
Options 3 and 4 is something I didn't/don't want to do as I think it would be fun for you guys, when you start to play my game, to talk amongst each other and reveal if you find a rare, and, each new rare that is found and posted here, would be added to the list... Depending on the rarity itself, I would put in the correct place.

Options 1 and 2 are the choices I will most probably go for, but I'd like your input, come on guys, without your input I will probably go for option 1.

Incase you are wanderring, I have 6 rarities;
Common, Uncommon, Rare, *Super Rare, *Ultra Rare and *Rumoured.
Each with a higher to lower chance of encounter... And believe me it took me over an hour (think around the hour and a half mark) of game play to find a Rare , Which is kind of how I want it to go, but at another location I found a Super Rare within 10 minutes (I'm sure around 4-6 minutes)... To add, I would like to point out, that each area or location, in my game has at least 1 rare, but could also have --->up to<--- a Rumoured Pokémon... The rare doesn't neccessarily have to be something like a Mew, it can be something like a Caterpie too, I guess what I'm saying is, if it's on my list, it's a common/uncommon, if it's not, you just found yourself an uncommon/rare*... I would like to release this before the game, and, the video, so I don't give too much away during the video.

Also, would you like me to reveal the starter or would you prefer me to start the game without seeing the starter selection screen?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
khkramer

Well you could try Jing : http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
Because Hypercam is terrible...
Also I would like the starters to be a surprise, but that's just my opinion.

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Thanks I'll take a look at that, anything is better than HyperCam...

Yeah I need peoples opinions, yours counts too... I'll skip the starter then and just give me a standard Pokémon to start the game.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Love your statement on theft. People could learn that it comes with risks, STDs. Indeed it is awful. Just remember that the people who take things usually don't ever finish their games anyway, because it shows how lazy they are if they can't do anything on their own. The hypercam watermark can be avoided if you just increase the size of the recording window so that the watermark records above it and not on the game window. I haven't heard of Jing yet, however it appears that you can only record up to five minutes... You just can't get a good recording software anymore these days. The best I have ever used would be Eatcam, but sadly it doesn't work properly with Vista and 7 users, so when I left XP I had to use Hypercam. I just bank on using screen shots though. RMXP needs a recording script added. Maybe something in the future version of essentials.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:00 AM
SuperTreaz
The Elder of Dunsparce

Nature: Bold
I saw "friends and foes". Maybe, incase the player decides to be friends with EVERYONE, some NPCs can hate other ones so you will still have some foes.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmn.master View Post
Love your statement on theft. People could learn that it comes with risks, STDs. Indeed it is awful. Just remember that the people who take things usually don't ever finish their games anyway, because it shows how lazy they are if they can't do anything on their own. The hypercam watermark can be avoided if you just increase the size of the recording window so that the watermark records above it and not on the game window. I haven't heard of Jing yet, however it appears that you can only record up to five minutes... You just can't get a good recording software anymore these days. The best I have ever used would be Eatcam, but sadly it doesn't work properly with Vista and 7 users, so when I left XP I had to use Hypercam. I just bank on using screen shots though. RMXP needs a recording script added. Maybe something in the future version of essentials.
Yeah I know that's the case, that the game won't be completed if they are lazy anyway... I have used Jing before and yes, it is pretty... Crap... I thought there was a recorder built in, but I'm sure I didn't know how to use it, so I didn't bother... Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTreaz View Post
I saw "friends and foes". Maybe, incase the player decides to be friends with EVERYONE, some NPCs can hate other ones so you will still have some foes.
I have a way to do this, it seems a little, odd, how it works, but I will sort this out more when alot more things are sorted... Basically, the better the friend, the better they help, tbhat's not to say the "lesser" friend cannot help... Foes have the same purpose, but in a different way.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Anglican
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
0.o Though you said you were bad at spriting.... Those sprites are amazing!
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
personz5

if your still taking suggestions i would like to suggest dont make the starters the same old fire water and grass type since its over played like dark psychic and fighting type starters or something and dont reveal them
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglican View Post
0.o Though you said you were bad at spriting.... Those sprites are amazing!
Aww thank you, I thought they were terrible at one point, they started to grow on me, but amazing! That makes me feel a lot better about them haha! I should have a few more soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personz5 View Post
if your still taking suggestions i would like to suggest dont make the starters the same old fire water and grass type since its over played like dark psychic and fighting type starters or something and dont reveal them
Information On Rivals and Starters:
The starters aren't the traditional Grass, Fire, Water... In actually fact, the starter you have, the rival will not start with your weakness... Because in Homeward Bound™, you don't have a traditional Rival either... You make rivals during the game... The main characters (that you can choose from (male/female))... Have their Pokémon given to them differently, none of the, "both go to the Professor, you pick the starter, your rival picks the strongest to suit... Battle... Then rematch a couple towns on..." But your rival is played out differently and I love how all the rivals are played during the game... Can't wait for you all to find out what part they play

I never understood why the games make your rival do that! I wouldn't care for weaknesses, that shows the trainers weakness and as far as I know, Gary, is better than Ash, right?! Having never lost... So why pick the "stronger" out the 3...

I'm hoping your Starter will be a nice surprise, to a starter point of view anyway... Another thing, as I've made this game somewhat harder at points, easy at others and medium at others (this is not respective, as the game itself is spread between easy, madium and harder trainers), The starter you have is stronger than the originals.

How Do We Meet The Rival and Do We Battle:
You meet the rival early enough in the game, but you do not battle, he/she fits into the story (read the title)... There are a few characters that you meet throughout, who you will battle and each have their own "thing".

What Happened To The Original Starters:
This may be a question that would float in the back of your mind whether you ask it or not, but the usual KANTO starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, are available! Not by events, these are not given to you, they are not a prize, these are in fact, nothing to do with my creation... You can capture these in the wild, so you can have as many of these as you like.

What Other Pokémon Will Be Wild Then:
Good question! Every Pokémon is available, some only by overworld encounters, the rest, on Land, Surfing, Fishing, Caves and evolution... By Overworld encounters, I don't mean how Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres were portrade in r/b/y, or Mewtwo, but, they will be roamers in the wild, I just think it'll look prettier if some were moving in front of you instead of walking in the grass all the time, but, in some cases, they will be found in grass or caves, or whatever! But as rares, more common as Overworlds... Overworlds however, also have a chance to flee.
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Anglican
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
Aww thank you, I thought they were terrible at one point, they started to grow on me, but amazing! That makes me feel a lot better about them haha! I should have a few more soon.
Haha, no problem. Can't wait for the others :D based on those, I can tell the custom graphical charachers of this game are gonna be pretty good.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here