The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.


Advertise here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:09 PM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy

Advertise here
Here's an idea: Instead of putting only 10 moves and their animations/sound effects you could put moves up to at least 3rd or 4th gen instead of making people waste several weeks of time trying to make halfway descent attack animations.

I spent all day today working on the move erruption and I still dont have it done cause I cant make the sound effect for it. So now that I'm *almost* done with eruption, 1 move down and like 300 to go.

Aside from this one flaw Pokemon Essentials is perfect. (minus the small bugs/glitches ofcourse) I would be truly grateful if this is added in the next release.
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
Here's an idea: Instead of putting only 10 moves and their animations/sound effects you could put moves up to at least 3rd or 4th gen instead of making people waste several weeks of time trying to make halfway descent attack animations.

I spent all day today working on the move erruption and I still dont have it done cause I cant make the sound effect for it. So now that I'm *almost* done with eruption, 1 move down and like 300 to go.

Aside from this one flaw Pokemon Essentials is perfect. (minus the small bugs/glitches ofcourse) I would be truly grateful if this is added in the next release.
well thats not an idea but a selfish request...
why should maruno spend hours for making move animations if there are alot of other important things to do...
if you want essentials to have the move animations how about you make them and contribute them?
a nice idea that would help everyone right? :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
ahh i finished to rip the entire B/W pokedex... (if i forgot something say it thought)
it took longer then i thought... <.<
here it is ---> http://www.xup.in/dl,15045847/BW_Pokedex_rip.zip/
if the rip is ok should i start ripping the cry images from the pokedex?
i mean these:
Spoiler:

i am sure it would be usefull to have all 649 cry images if you plan to add the cry option into the pokedex...
or is it more important to rip the B/W box system?
I didn't say "rip", I said "design". I don't need the graphics themselves; I need an idea of how they go together. Concept art. Preferably art based on the existing screens (which are HGSS-style), so that they have the same feel as the rest of the game.

The Pokédex is simple enough to change (just resize a few boxes, and change what information appears in the list screen). The main problem is getting the storage screen to look nice when the graphics are impossible to cram together. If you just come up with a good design for that, I'll consider changing it.

I have no plans to add a "Cry" page to the Pokégear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I know that you're only remove these two, I only list some of poccil great scripts with low application. About the Shadow I was talking about the events with name 'OutdoorLight'. The pole in Test Map has this.

I suggest the formula: 0xFFFF-(pickletters(day+month*2)+day+8*(month/10+month%10)+((month-1)*30+year*365)&0xFFFF). Here the pickletters picks the sum of char value of letters of a move name (or other PBS file) where internalnumber=parameter.
Ah, I see.

Will that formula yield all possible values (0-35565) eventually? Are some numbers more likely to be picked than others? I'm not sure I understand what pickletters does.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
well thats not an idea but a selfish request...
why should maruno spend hours for making move animations if there are alot of other important things to do...
if you want essentials to have the move animations how about you make them and contribute them?
a nice idea that would help everyone right? :D
You're right.

I'm going to use what I believe are the ripped animations from either D/P or B/W. I'll be honest, I haven't played much of Pokemon after the gba generations so its gonna take longer than I thought.

After I'm done do I just message maruno with the completed animations? And what file format do you want it in? Like the ripped images or the actual Animations.rxdata file?

Also I'm pretty good with Ruby so I can help make scripts.

Last edited by redx2dth; May 27th, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi-ism
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It's not exactly random, is it? I did briefly consider making the winning number depend on the date, but it'd be too difficult to turn it into a pseudo-random number. If you have any ideas, go ahead and share.
Simple way: seed a RNG with the date in some form, and use the output of that. I'm pretty sure Ruby has a srand() method; there might even be a custom RNG class in Essentials you could use.
Complicated but more 'random' way: use a cryptographic hash function e.g. SHA or RSA on the date. You get better randomness, but it's harder to implement.
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I didn't say "rip", I said "design". I don't need the graphics themselves; I need an idea of how they go together. Concept art. Preferably art based on the existing screens (which are HGSS-style), so that they have the same feel as the rest of the game.

The Pokédex is simple enough to change (just resize a few boxes, and change what information appears in the list screen). The main problem is getting the storage screen to look nice when the graphics are impossible to cram together. If you just come up with a good design for that, I'll consider changing it.

I have no plans to add a "Cry" page to the Pokégear.
i dont want to say its impossible to design a fitting storage screen with the HGSS style but you should consider that the newest games are BW and BW2...
isnt it better to update essentials to the newest BW graphics?
i dont mean all at once but piece for piece...
why not be up to date with something as simple as graphics?
ok there are maybe some problems because the official games have 2 screens...
but thats another point you should consider adding...
maybe not "touch screen" but so that there is another screen that you can access with a single button klick... (like HGSS or BW)
it would fix all the problems with the storage system and the pokedex because you can show alot more information with 2 screens...
adding the 5th gen pokemon would be no problem anymore...
well at the end you will decide all these points...
i just want to make clear that nintendo already released 7 main pokemon games with dual screens and i dont think that they will stop it soon...
its a huge success for them after all...

i will try to make the storage system fit but you should think about the points i mentioned...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
You're right.

I'm going to use what I believe are the ripped animations from either D/P or B/W. I'll be honest, I haven't played much of Pokemon after the gba generations so its gonna take longer than I thought.

After I'm done do I just message maruno with the completed animations? And what file format do you want it in? Like the ripped images or the actual Animations.rxdata file?
I'd need the animation sheet (the picture with the graphics), and the exported animation. That is, export each animation separately.

You might want to wait until I've touched up the Animation Editor a little to support better animations (i.e. added in backgrounds and cel layers).


Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
i dont want to say its impossible to design a fitting storage screen with the HGSS style but you should consider that the newest games are BW and BW2...
isnt it better to update essentials to the newest BW graphics?
i dont mean all at once but piece for piece...
why not be up to date with something as simple as graphics?
ok there are maybe some problems because the official games have 2 screens...
but thats another point you should consider adding...
maybe not "touch screen" but so that there is another screen that you can access with a single button klick... (like HGSS or BW)
it would fix all the problems with the storage system and the pokedex because you can show alot more information with 2 screens...
adding the 5th gen pokemon would be no problem anymore...
well at the end you will decide all these points...
i just want to make clear that nintendo already released 7 main pokemon games with dual screens and i dont think that they will stop it soon...
its a huge success for them after all...

i will try to make the storage system fit but you should think about the points i mentioned...
I did consider the fact that Gen 5 exists, but then I decided I preferred the graphics of HGSS. I've already stated my reasons, but in a nutshell, I don't believe that newer is always better (so being "up to date" for the sake of it is a non-argument).

I have also considered adding a dual screen feature, but quickly decided against that. The Pokémon games are only dual-screen things because the DS is a dual-screen console, and not because dual screens are inherently better. Essentials makes games for computers, which have one screen. There's no "problems" with not having enough room to show everything, because there is room for it - I made sure when I redesigned everything (all by myself) that the information would fit.

That's where I stand. You may not like it, but you're not the one in charge of the development - it's just me by myself. I did try recruiting a development team at the start, but no one was interested (and still isn't, as I've not had any offers). If I suddenly get a wave of offers now, please keep it to PMs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I'd need the animation sheet (the picture with the graphics), and the exported animation. That is, export each animation separately.

You might want to wait until I've touched up the Animation Editor a little to support better animations (i.e. added in backgrounds and cel layers).
The fixed animation editor is going to be released in version 8, correct?

Oh and since I already have the ripped images from emerald I'm building the attack animations based off of emerald. I can also do the roulette mini-game and work on other gambling mini-games.

BTW Ive overheard some ppl asking how they can make pokemon essentials into a multiplayer game. RMXP does have multiplayer capabilities using Netplay. Netplay isn't, as far as I know, an open source project but I do have the source for the 2.0 version of the client and server, so if your interested ill send it to you.

The server side .exe is written in Ruby (.rb files) and the client is an RMXP project file.

Just let me know if you want it and ill send it 2 you. (I can also upload it to VirusTotal if you have trust issues)

P.S. Im a freelance web developer so i have tons of free time on my hands, that being said I would love to help with this.

Last edited by redx2dth; May 28th, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I did consider the fact that Gen 5 exists, but then I decided I preferred the graphics of HGSS. I've already stated my reasons, but in a nutshell, I don't believe that newer is always better (so being "up to date" for the sake of it is a non-argument).
i know what you mean...
i dont like alot of things in the 5th gen games myself...
but fact is that the new games will be more different in design with each generation...
and they will always be dual screen until nintendo decides to make a new console with 1 screen...
nintedo isnt going back with pokemon graphics and we shouldnt stick to one generation either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I have also considered adding a dual screen feature, but quickly decided against that. The Pokémon games are only dual-screen things because the DS is a dual-screen console, and not because dual screens are inherently better. Essentials makes games for computers, which have one screen. There's no "problems" with not having enough room to show everything, because there is room for it - I made sure when I redesigned everything (all by myself) that the information would fit.
i know that dual screens are not usefull during the normal gameplay...
and i know that "touch screens" (which arent actually touch screens because you use your mouse) is completely unnecessary for a computer pokemon game...
i would never advise you to add a "touch screen"...
but a second screen accessible with a button klick is something different...
you could put the menu there which would look much better...
you could make the storage screen like in BW...
you could show pictures AND the main screen without sacrificing space to show different things...
you could add minigames like the unown puzzle from the second gen (movable with the d-pad)
and alot of more things...
of course its possible to do all this with one screen...
but wouldnt it be a little squeezed together?
and that the 5th gen pokemon sprites dont fit in the storage screen is actually a "problem"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
That's where I stand. You may not like it, but you're not the one in charge of the development - it's just me by myself. I did try recruiting a development team at the start, but no one was interested (and still isn't, as I've not had any offers). If I suddenly get a wave of offers now, please keep it to PMs.
hope you dont missunderstand me...
i love the work you do and i accept all decisions you make/made...
i just want to give you advice and points to think about...
doing this much all alone is hard i know...
and i would gladly be a member of the development team... (if you would accept someone like me of course)
ok i cant script but if you need graphics i can find, rip and/or make them!
i know alot of the metagame which could be considered as another plus point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth
The fixed animation editor is going to be released in version 8, correct?

Oh and since I already have the ripped images from emerald I'm building the attack animations based off of emerald. I can also do the roulette mini-game and work on other gambling mini-games.

BTW Ive overheard some ppl asking how they can make pokemon essentials into a multiplayer game. RMXP does have multiplayer capabilities using Netplay. Netplay isn't, as far as I know, an open source project but I do have the source for the 2.0 version of the client and server, so if your interested ill send it to you.

The server side .exe is written in Ruby (.rb files) and the client is an RMXP project file.

Just let me know if you want it and ill send it 2 you. (I can also upload it to VirusTotal if you have trust issues)

P.S. Im a freelance web developer so i have tons of free time on my hands, that being said I would love to help with this.
look here for the attack animations from DP --> http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/...rl/sheet/21068
and it would be awesome if you can help us with some minigames like the roulette minigame from emerald or some other! :D
look here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...85&postcount=6) for more information about the gambling minigames and ask me if you need anything... (graphics or info)
and the point with multiplayer sounds awesome too! :D
__________________

Last edited by the__end; May 28th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
look here for the attack animations from DP --> http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/...rl/sheet/21068
and it would be awesome if you can help us with some minigames like the roulette minigame from emerald or some other! :D
look here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...85&postcount=6) for more information about the gambling minigames and ask me if you need anything... (graphics or info)
and the point with multiplayer sounds awesome too! :D
Ive tried making animations with this. I tried seed flare and it was less than adequate. I can give it another go i suppose.

I could allways use both generation's animations because, unlike the overworld sprites and tilesets, they dont differ very much. I could just touch up emerald animation's using MSAA or tessellation, which are both achievable using GIMP and Photoshop CS4(or higher)
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM
FL's Avatar
FL
Pokémon Island Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
Another note - How about giving maps a size metadata? By this, I mean the number of tiles, in X and Y coordinates, that a specific map takes up on the Town Map. After that, the player icon's position on the town map can have their relative position on said map displays as well.
Here I made a system that make equal name areas flashing in Pokédex Area if someone wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Will that formula yield all possible values (0-35565) eventually? Are some numbers more likely to be picked than others? I'm not sure I understand what pickletters does.
The right is 0-65535 or 0x0000-0xFFFF or 0-(216-1). Yield all possible values, maybe some numbers more likely to be picked than others, but isn't something notable (like one had two times more chance).

Pickletters example with moves and the 37 value: 37 move is Fling, so using the Ascii table:
Spoiler:

Code:
F   l   i   n   g
070+108+105+110+103=496
Thinking now maybe is better to do 070*1+108*2+105*4+110*8+103*16 and sum the result with the call of this function again with month*16, maybe using a different PBS file.

Better idea, create a new variable on PokemonGlobal that is initialize with a array with around 1000 numbers rand(0x10000) and every day one position is read and all values before this position were removed and a equal number are added.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
Ive tried making animations with this. I tried seed flare and it was less than adequate. I can give it another go i suppose.

I could allways use both generation's animations because, unlike the overworld sprites and tilesets, they dont differ very much. I could just touch up emerald animation's using MSAA or tessellation, which are both achievable using GIMP and Photoshop CS4(or higher)
you use this (http://www.spriters-resource.com/gam...em/sheet/28882) sheet right?
yeah they dont differ much...
you could even use some of these attack animations --> http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/...ol/sheet/41335
and are you helping us with the roulette minigame? :D
you have time until maruno updates the animation editor right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
you use this (http://www.spriters-resource.com/gam...em/sheet/28882) sheet right?
yeah they dont differ much...
you could even use some of these attack animations --> http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/...ol/sheet/41335
and are you helping us with the roulette minigame? :D
you have time until maruno updates the animation editor right?
I used that sheet and DP animations.

Im working on that and 2 other games. Also, because there are only like 10 songs included with pokemon essentials, I used Sappy-mod15 to extract all MIDI songs from emerald and fire red so im going to send that and Netplay 2.0 source files to maruno soon.
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
I used that sheet and DP animations.

Im working on that and 2 other games. Also, because there are only like 10 songs included with pokemon essentials, I used Sappy-mod15 to extract all MIDI songs from emerald and fire red so im going to send that and Netplay 2.0 source files to maruno soon.
ahh thats nice to hear! :D
and i have all the OST from all pokemon games until now (as mp3 thought) so if someone needs any theme feel free to ask me!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
The fixed animation editor is going to be released in version 8, correct?
Maybe, if I (or someone else!) gets round to it. The "To Do" list says what needs doing for this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
hope you dont missunderstand me...
i love the work you do and i accept all decisions you make/made...
i just want to give you advice and points to think about...
doing this much all alone is hard i know...
and i would gladly be a member of the development team... (if you would accept someone like me of course)
ok i cant script but if you need graphics i can find, rip and/or make them!
i know alot of the metagame which could be considered as another plus point...
Whenever someone mentions a feature or aspect, I do reconsider my stance on it. Most of the time it doesn't change, though. Trust me, I've already thought quite enough about dual/touch screens and which game's graphics to use.

As I said, this discussion has been had before. Essentials is for making Pokémon games, which I believe means an RPG with Pokémon in it, not emulating the console some of the official Pokémon games were created for. The sheer number of fangames that are already being made proves that a dual screen is not "a vital feature without which it isn't a Pokémon game". The computer is a fundamentally different medium to a DS as well, and a dual screen layout doesn't suit a computer game (my opinion, but at the moment it's the one that matters).

I don't recall anyone else complaining that Essentials doesn't have a dual screen (and indeed, those who have made their own prefer Essentials not to have it, because that makes their games more unique). If you want to keep claiming that a dual screen is better than a single screen, then make your own thread about it and post comparisons that prove your point. Don't fill up this thread with it.

If you can come up with a design (even just a sketch) that allows both the sprite and storage box to fit on the one screen, please let me know and I'll try to develop it. It would be nice to allow larger sprites.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Better idea, create a new variable on PokemonGlobal that is initialize with a array with around 1000 numbers rand(0x10000) and every day one position is read and all values before this position were removed and a equal number are added.
That's a much better idea. It's remarkably simple, keeps the randomness (as much as the rand function can be random), and lets the numbers stay the same during the day to avoid cheating. Perhaps just 5 in-advance values need be stored - trying to get around even that would take an inordinate amount of effort (involving lots of saving/date changing/backing up saves).

I'll do this, then.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I suggest the formula: 0xFFFF-(pickletters(day+month*2)+day+8*(month/10+month%10)+((month-1)*30+year*365)&0xFFFF). Here the pickletters picks the sum of char value of letters of a move name (or other PBS file) where internalnumber=parameter.
This is unnecessarily complicated, and isn't guaranteed to work depending on what you pick letters out of. Why bring in something completely unrelated anyway?

Code:
t = Time.now
hash = t.day + (t.month << 5) + (t.year << 9)
srand(hash) # seed RNG with fixed value depending on date
lottery = rand(65536) # get a number
srand # reseed RNG
Nice simple procedure that does only what is necessary. You're welcome

EDIT: I see it's been solved already. Either solution should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
FL's Avatar
FL
Pokémon Island Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by redx2dth View Post
Im working on that and 2 other games. Also, because there are only like 10 songs included with pokemon essentials, I used Sappy-mod15 to extract all MIDI songs from emerald and fire red so im going to send that and Netplay 2.0 source files to maruno soon.
I think that these resources things will be better on separate packs rather that in the main kit. This way the developer can put in his game only the ones that he will use. This can make the kit less disorganized and with lower size (but midis at least consumes very low disk space). Maybe an official resource compilation?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I think that these resources things will be better on separate packs rather that in the main kit. This way the developer can put in his game only the ones that he will use. This can make the kit less disorganized and with lower size (but midis at least consumes very low disk space). Maybe an official resource compilation?
That's all up to Maruno. I'm not making any decisions, I'm just taking advice and doing grunt work cuz i love essentials and want to see the project really take off.

For anyone else who wants to develop for essentials please instead of submitting your ideas to Maruno and then leaving him with the work, ask him what you can do to ease his workload.

I remember being one of the few developers when Pokemon Crater (pokemonbattlearena dot net) was originally made and it was hell. If i had more people assisting, rather than making a list of ideas, I would have been able to work better and more efficiently, not to mention the leader left the project for his college life and it was already too much work for a few developers without his absence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the ever-growing to do list and the lack of developers, maruno could use an extra hand. You don't have to be a developer, or even know Ruby to help, this project uses images and animations as much as it does scripts so spriters are a huge help in this.

Last edited by redx2dth; May 29th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:19 AM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I think that these resources things will be better on separate packs rather that in the main kit. This way the developer can put in his game only the ones that he will use. This can make the kit less disorganized and with lower size (but midis at least consumes very low disk space). Maybe an official resource compilation?
i could help to make a resource complitation...
i have almost all graphics (pokemon tilesets, autotiles, overworlds, sprites and many other usefull stuff) and original soundtracks from all pokemon games...
BUT if we do something like this we should stick to official resources!
maybe maruno can make a page on the wiki... :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
The first step would be to decide what graphical style Essentials should have. I would prefer FRLG tilesets, since those can be ripped and aren't custom graphics (hence fewer/no permissions required). If so, we'd probably need custom charsets for NPCs that appear in Gen 4/5 games, since I'd like to use the trainer sprites from those.

I don't want Essentials to be overloaded with all kinds of graphics and music. If it just had all the music from one particular game, that'd be fine.

This discussion would be better placed in its own thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Squirtle View Post
Code:
t = Time.now
hash = t.day + (t.month << 5) + (t.year << 9)
srand(hash) # seed RNG with fixed value depending on date
lottery = rand(65536) # get a number
srand # reseed RNG
Nice simple procedure that does only what is necessary. You're welcome

EDIT: I see it's been solved already. Either solution should be fine.
That's actually an even better solution, because it doesn't involve inventing an extra array of numbers. I've already implemented it. Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:06 AM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
The first step would be to decide what graphical style Essentials should have. I would prefer FRLG tilesets, since those can be ripped and aren't custom graphics (hence fewer/no permissions required). If so, we'd probably need custom charsets for NPCs that appear in Gen 4/5 games, since I'd like to use the trainer sprites from those.
i would advise against the use of FRLG tiles...
the DPP & HGSS tiles are as easy to rip and we dont need to make custom charsets!
imo its even better if we use BW graphics but i am sure you are against it...
if you want i can do the ripping part...
just tell me from which game and send me a list with the tiles you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I don't want Essentials to be overloaded with all kinds of graphics and music. If it just had all the music from one particular game, that'd be fine.
tell me from which game and i can send all the OST (as mp3) to you if you like...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM
redx2dth's Avatar
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Im an AI. I live in a chip.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I don't want Essentials to be overloaded with all kinds of graphics and music. If it just had all the music from one particular game, that'd be fine.
The MIDI's I sent you are all from Emerald. Its just the fact that emerald had a bunch of unnecessary songs from previous gens that were never used. If you want I could remove the songs that aren't used and send u another .zip

Last edited by redx2dth; May 30th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
FL's Avatar
FL
Pokémon Island Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
About the sample maps, I think that you need to give more priority. Most of people can't understand this because they haven't a novice viewpoint but this is very important, it's the first interation with this kit, make a good impression with uncomplicated features browsing, but wide at same time.
Even with you going to remade this examples, I can't believe that you didn't put a Slot Machine/Voltorb Flip sample event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno's List
Lots of sound effects are missing:
o When using a HP-healing item, or EV/PP-manipulating item
o Pokémon storage in general
o Buying an item from a Mart
o Learning a move
o Non-active battlers upon their level up
o Fleeing a battle
o A “ping” sound effect for each ball in the line-up at the start of battle
o Calling a Pokémon out – does this already exist?
o Exp bar in battle while increasing (not just upon level up)
I think that you need to give more priority on this, some are really easy. And move the Flee.wav in BGS to SE folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno's List
Add swarming Pokémon
o There is a list of swarming Pokémon, and the map/encounter method/levels for each of them
o One swarmer is chosen at random at midnight, but only if a certain switch is ON (typically set upon gaining the National Dex)
o When determining an encounter, there is a 40% chance that it will be with a swarming Pokémon, and 60% chance of a regular encounter
o A registered trainer on that map can call the player to tell them about swarm (needs new messages)
Please make this percentage easy to edit, maybe a setting? I guess that 50% is a better default value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno's List
New Settings:
o Number of storage boxes
You probably know, to do this search for 'maxBoxes='.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
i would agree if you had sad that it is not important at the moment...
but minigames make the games varied and lots more fun to play...
and a game making tool (which essentials is) should have alot of different variants!
and just because you can script doesnt mean that everyone can... (dont take it personally pls!)
some are good at scripting some at graphics and some can make amazing stories or make amazing maps...
always think about other users who cant script their own stuff (like minigames) themself...
I agree.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
About the sample maps, I think that you need to give more priority. Most of people can't understand this because they haven't a novice viewpoint but this is very important, it's the first interation with this kit, make a good impression with uncomplicated features browsing, but wide at same time.
Even with you going to remade this examples, I can't believe that you didn't put a Slot Machine/Voltorb Flip sample event.
I don't use Essentials; I only make it. I'm not the one best qualified to decide what the example maps need to include and where. I've mentioned before there's another thread for everyone to help come up with better designs, and so far the number of new designs is: smeg all.

A large part of the map redesigns is the need for better tilesets. I've been working on FRLG ones on and off (usually off), but they're not done yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Please make this percentage easy to edit, maybe a setting? I guess that 50% is a better default value.
I never said I was even going to add that feature. I just wrote it down. The same applies for many of the things in the "Whim" category.

If swarmers were going to be added, then of course the percentage would be easy to change. And for the record, the official games use 40%.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.