The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBawls View Post
I have these files within the xse folder...
std.rbh
stdattacks.rbh
stditems.rbh
stdpoke.rbh

Is there a way to simply figure out the hex value through xse because I havent been able to figure it out and I script for a living >.<.
try inserting the line #include stditems.rbh at the very beginning of the script.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:36 PM
JBawls
Beginning Trainer

Ok so I got it to work via xse. I managed the script and inserted it into the map and I can get the item but now I can get it infinite times and the ball NEVER disappears...

Here is the script:

'---------------
#org 0x800009
giveitem 0x1 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
end

Oh also the obtain script (In the game) dosnt go away it remains on the screen until I read something else...

Last edited by JBawls; June 25th, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Ok so I got it to work via xse. I managed the script and inserted it into the map and I can get the item but now I can get it infinite times and the ball NEVER disappears...

Here is the script:

'---------------
#org 0x800009
giveitem 0x1 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
end

Oh also the obtain script (In the game) dosnt go away it remains on the screen until I read something else...
And you added a unique Person ID to the OW, right? If you did, it should vanish...

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
In XSE can you use any random hex number as a flag as long as the game doesn't use it already?
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Conley View Post
In XSE can you use any random hex number as a flag as long as the game doesn't use it already?
In theory, yes, but in practice, no. Once you go above a certain flag number, you start going into other data, and you mess up stuff. The best thing to do is to get a list of all flags in-game, if possible, and go down the list. In any case, write down what all your flags mean, it's alot easier to reference.

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
JBawls
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
And you added a unique Person ID to the OW, right? If you did, it should vanish...
yes and now the item does not appear at all! Dude at least using pokescript i had only one issue now I have had over 6 please SOMEONE who knows pokescript tell me how to make it so the balls do not reappear when you return to a map.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:14 PM
redriders180

Quote:
yes and now the item does not appear at all! Dude at least using pokescript i had only one issue now I have had over 6 please SOMEONE who knows pokescript tell me how to make it so the balls do not reappear when you return to a map.
The issues are because you're using an entirely different programming language to do what you want, and it isn't XSE or my own fault. If you want, just open up any other Pokeball event that actually works, and look at what the script says. Observe all the headings under the events tab in A-map, and try and work out what everything contributes to. You probably gave the Pokeball item a Person ID that shares the same value of a flag you already used. The flag was set, and as such, the item ball is hidden. It isn't the scripts fault, it's just the flags fault.

Note: A fair amount of flags are auto-set as well, at the beginning of the game.

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Download a table file and a hex editor.
Search for the text that is displayed during that script and a pointer to that text which leads you to the script command of "msgbox @text" in which that @text displays the text that is shown during the script. The rest of that script is located before and after the msgbox code.

This sounds probably quite difficult but it's much more simple than you realize. There are bound to be some text editing tutorials here so check one out and see how it's done.
So where can I find a table file? I've already got a hex editor, but I can't seem to find a table file for Pokemon Ruby anywhere.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
CrystalStatic
Time for real life...

Nature: Quiet
Game: Pokemon Fire Red
Tool: Advanced Map 1.92

Hello, something has been glitching up my game recently. It is a problem with Advanced Map.

For the "people" scripts already in the normal unedited game. I've made a new starting town and I wanted to hide the old "people" sprites and put in completely new ones. For this, I changed their movements to "hidden" then placed them off of the map (Like in the trees and stuff).

But when I open up my game and go into the town, my game automatically resets itself every time I get near the "hidden sprites". Any solutions?

Thanks very much!
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

I've been working on a FR hack recently, and when I was testing it, the ROM kept crashing whenever a Pokemon evolved. I've tested it twice. Once with Squirtle, and another one with a Metapod. Both of them caused the game to crash after the battle that gave them their levels ended. I am not sure what's the problem here. I think I might have messed up a flag or a script related to evolution in general.
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
Game: Pokemon Fire Red
Tool: Advanced Map 1.92

Hello, something has been glitching up my game recently. It is a problem with Advanced Map.

For the "people" scripts already in the normal unedited game. I've made a new starting town and I wanted to hide the old "people" sprites and put in completely new ones. For this, I changed their movements to "hidden" then placed them off of the map (Like in the trees and stuff).

But when I open up my game and go into the town, my game automatically resets itself every time I get near the "hidden sprites". Any solutions?

Thanks very much!
Some of the "Hidden" movements are really glitched up. There are three or four in the list...for Firered, type 4C works for me with absolutely no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post
I've been working on a FR hack recently, and when I was testing it, the ROM kept crashing whenever a Pokemon evolved. I've tested it twice. Once with Squirtle, and another one with a Metapod. Both of them caused the game to crash after the battle that gave them their levels ended. I am not sure what's the problem here. I think I might have messed up a flag or a script related to evolution in general.
This happened to my hack once...I had to go back to a working backup and work from there.

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM
CrystalStatic
Time for real life...

Quote:
Some of the "Hidden" movements are really glitched up. There are three or four in the list...for Firered, type 4C works for me with absolutely no problem

This happened to my hack once...I had to go back to a working backup and work from there.
All right, thanks for the info.
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
JBawls
Beginning Trainer

Ok so I solved my original problems with my items, my flags were not reading so I had to 'remake' them, and have hit yet another snag hahaha.

When doing a pokemon battle for example Mewtwo when I defeat him he vanishes from map, if I run from the battle he vanishes from the map, but if I catch him then I can keep catching him... How do I fix this?

Copy of battle script:

#org 0x87405E5
'-----------------------------------
special INIT_STEPCOUNT
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if == jump 0x81A7AE0 ' Equal To
special GET_STEPCOUNT
lock
faceplayer
checksound
cry MEWTWO 0x2
waitcry
pause 0x14
playsound 0x2 0x2
battle MEWTWO 5 NONE
setflag 0x807
special BATTLE_PIXELLATE
waitspecial
clearflag 0x807
special2 LASTRESULT 0xB4
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if == jump 0x8162558 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x4
if == jump 0x8162561 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x5
if == jump 0x8162561 ' Equal To
setflag 0x81
release
end

#org 0x81A7AE0
release
end

#org 0x8162558
setflag 0x232
jump 0x81A922D

#org 0x81A922D
fadescreen FADEOUT_BLACK
disappear LASTTALKED
fadescreen FADEIN_BLACK
release
end

#org 0x8162561
setvar 0x8004 0x96
jump 0x81A9236

#org 0x81A9236
fadescreen FADEOUT_BLACK
disappear LASTTALKED
fadescreen FADEIN_BLACK
storepokemon 0x0 0x8004
msgbox 0x81A63C4 ' The \v\h02 flew away...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x81A63C4
= The \v\h02 flew away!
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Ferox
Beginning Trainer

Hi all,

I've been puzzling over this script all day now, and it is the most complicated one I've tried to make so far (very new at this). I just can't find any more tutes to help me.

Using Fire Red, Advance map 1.92 and XSE.

I wanted the player to talk to a family who's kid is missing, help Bill with his machine, then take the kid home (who was hiding with Bill).

The family all have before and after rescue text, which works, the kid can ask to be taken home, which works, and her sprite disappears from Bill's workshop after she is spoken too.

The hitch in my script is that I can't hide her sprite in the family home (where she ends up). Either the sprite is there the whole time, and disappears when talked to if not 'rescued' or if I set it to 'hidden' on Advance map she doesn't reappear when she's supposed to.

I'm just wondering if there's a setting I should be using in Advance map or if I need to but the script to show/hide her sprite somewhere else. Should she be set to 'hidden' in advance map and I put showsprite after the warp command, or is there another way to do it?
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

Quote:

Unfortunately, this glitch seemed to have slipped through my testing sessions and infected all my backup files. So basically, I should just export all my scripts and maps to a new file and continue from there?

EDIT: Whenever I try to import one of my maps I get an access violation error. Is there anyway I can solve this so I can continue exporting my old maps?

Last edited by Ach7AC; June 26th, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Magic
vulpesvulpesvulpesvulpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
Hi all,

I've been puzzling over this script all day now, and it is the most complicated one I've tried to make so far (very new at this). I just can't find any more tutes to help me.

Using Fire Red, Advance map 1.92 and XSE.

I wanted the player to talk to a family who's kid is missing, help Bill with his machine, then take the kid home (who was hiding with Bill).

The family all have before and after rescue text, which works, the kid can ask to be taken home, which works, and her sprite disappears from Bill's workshop after she is spoken too.

The hitch in my script is that I can't hide her sprite in the family home (where she ends up). Either the sprite is there the whole time, and disappears when talked to if not 'rescued' or if I set it to 'hidden' on Advance map she doesn't reappear when she's supposed to.

I'm just wondering if there's a setting I should be using in Advance map or if I need to but the script to show/hide her sprite somewhere else. Should she be set to 'hidden' in advance map and I put showsprite after the warp command, or is there another way to do it?

The best way is to use flags. Set a flag sometime before the house and assign it to the person ID (make the event as normal otherwise. Not hidde
). Then at the rescue event clear the flag and the OW will then be visible when you return to the house.

Moderator of The RPC

PokéLINK

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
LugiaMZ

I have a question hope have people can reply me.

The champion rival at Fire Red I named " Lucas", but while I battle with him, he name is showing the name of intro name I put, how do I put the rival name to Lucas if intro choosing other name. Or how to put the champion rival VS screen to other trainer as my like, and no showing rival intro name?

Hope has people know what I mean. Sorry for my bad english.
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
~[BlackHole]
Unhatched Egg

Sorry, but has anyone here got a tutorial about adding a new palette for the tilesets of firered? I mean, you know that AMap has got 13 palettes for the tilesets... But how can I add more palettes? Is there a way to increase the avaible palettes for the tilesets? Thanks for the help and sorry for my awful english

Last edited by ~[BlackHole]; June 26th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

I have a question how can you increase the size limit in the Gba roms like how do you Change 64x64 into 80x80 so when your inserting a pokemon sprite it doesn't have to be 64x64.
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
I have a question hope have people can reply me.

The champion rival at Fire Red I named " Lucas", but while I battle with him, he name is showing the name of intro name I put, how do I put the rival name to Lucas if intro choosing other name. Or how to put the champion rival VS screen to other trainer as my like, and no showing rival intro name?

Hope has people know what I mean. Sorry for my bad english.
The "Champion" Trainer Class in FRLG is hardwired to substitute whatever the rivals name is as the name of the trainer. The easiest thing to do is make a duplicate Trainer Class called "Champion" and use it instead, or use a trainer class besides Champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~[BlackHole] View Post
Sorry, but has anyone here got a tutorial about adding a new palette for the tilesets? I mean, you know that AMap has got 13 palettes for the tilesets... But how can I add more palettes? Is there a way to increase the avaible palettes for the tilesets? Thanks for the help and sorry for my awful english
Thirteen Palettes is the max...A-Map 1.95 has it wrong. Sixteen palettes is the max number of palettes that can be shown at a given time when you're playing a ROM. Palettes 0 through 12 are the only ones that can be used with A-Map. The remaining three are reserved for other stuff in-game, so can't be used conventionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmasterify View Post
I have a question how can you increase the size limit in the Gba roms like how do you Change 64x64 into 80x80 so when your inserting a pokemon sprite it doesn't have to be 64x64.
64x64 sprites is hardware limitation, not software. The only way you can make anything bigger than 64x64 is with tilemaps, and a complete rewrite of the core game code.

Last edited by redriders180; June 26th, 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
~[BlackHole]
Unhatched Egg

Thank you Redriders180! Anyway, while I was looking in the tutorial zone, I've founded this tutorial: /showthread.php?t=156018
It seems that he adds a new tileset with its own palette, right? Could this be a way to do it or it's impossible? Thank you again!
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~[BlackHole] View Post
Thank you Redriders180! Anyway, while I was looking in the tutorial zone, I've founded this tutorial: /showthread.php?t=156018
It seems that he adds a new tileset with its own palette, right? Could this be a way to do it or it's impossible? Thank you again!
He probably replaces an existing palette with his own. Palettes 7-12 vary with the Tileset 2 in FRLG, and Palettes 6-12 in RSE, so if you want to start a completely new Tileset 2 from scratch, you can edit those palettes. If you're clever enough, six (or seven) palettes should be plenty.

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
I'm pretty sure there's a tool out there, but I can't find it anymore.

Is there a tool that takes a given image and compresses it so the tiles only appear once, as in they delete all the repeated tiles and bunch the image together to save as much space as possible? Please tell me I'm not hallucinating...
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a tool out there, but I can't find it anymore.

Is there a tool that takes a given image and compresses it so the tiles only appear once, as in they delete all the repeated tiles and bunch the image together to save as much space as possible? Please tell me I'm not hallucinating...
I believe the program you refer to is called Sphere. It's mainly used for making RPGs, but it has an option to import an image, compress it, and make a tilemap of it, if necessary.

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Daikoru
Beginning Trainer

Hello folks.

I feel like starting a ROM Hack, major project. However, I have never done a ROM Hack before. All of the knowledge I have from creating games are from RPG Maker (Did pretty much everything, except Scripting).

So I went and looked around to get informations and grab programs (thought all the ones I wanted were included in PGE). However, I still have some things I want to know:

-I wish to create Fakemons, with my own spriting skills. PGE has all kind of stuff for editting a Pokemon except one thing: Sprites. What program for Sprite editing would you you suggest for a beginner?

-I've seen Physical/Special split is possible to edit in the Attack Editor of PGE. However, I've also heard it requires an ASM to make it work. I have no idea what that is, mind helping me find/install that ASM?

-I'd like to create moves with particular effects. I know I can only use existing effects. However, can I make an effect that normally does no damage actually do damage in addition to the effect? (such as Protect and Transform).

-I wish to create a whole new continent. However, I have no idea how I should start it out, if I should delete maps to make space or not. What do you suggest me?

-Anything a beginner should know before throwing himself into a big project?

Thank in advance for the answers.

Incarnate a Pokemon Gijinka in this Role Play forum!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links