The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy

Advertise here
For the name...I'm assuming your character is male, so for some unknown reason I'm going to suggest "Evan". If it is female, I'd suggest Anya, again for the sake of randomness.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to do dialogs that way. It sounds kind of amateur, like you're cutting corners. Just my opinion :D
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Drgons90
Togepi

Nature: Modest
Hmm, it actually takes me longer of I "make the dialogs like this", I don't even know where to place the commas!

"And it's too repetitive", said Evan.
"How certain?", said Anya.
"Very certain.", said Evan.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:08 AM
dracoflare
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgons90 View Post
Hmm, it actually takes me longer of I "make the dialogs like this", I don't even know where to place the commas!

"And it's too repetitive", said Evan.
"How certain?", said Anya.
"Very certain.", said Evan.
Spoiler:
"And it's too repetitive,"[B]said Evan.
"How certain?"[B]Anya said.
"Very certain,"[B]said Evan.

Well I actually don't know the rules correctly either, I somehow managed to correct them by taking suggestions from people who reviewed my stories.

Also Googling it can help, there are lots of websites to help you.

Don't worry about repetition while writing the word 'said' again and again. It is better than finding the synonyms of 'said' in the dictionary and writing them.

When people read 'said', their brain automatically registers it as a part of the sentence and ignores it most of the time.

But then again don't overuse it, in fact you need not use the action verb more than once or twice unless the speaker doesn't mean what he says or the action is significant.

In a conversation "Go to hell!" can automatically be taken as shouting based on the previous dialogues, you need not say 'she shouted' after the sentence.

Atleast that's what I have realized from reading few novels and some guide books on writing.....

I think I am correct, if I am not then correct me!

The Trip to Unova: A flying-saucer, a beast and a mad-scientist.
: PC
The Road to Nowhere: PC|FF.Net|SPPf|

If you want a storyline to your fan game whether it is a ROM Hack or using RPG Maker XP, feel free to contact me!
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

You're right, Dracoflare! As for the whole using "said" part of your advice, it really depends on the writer. I rarely use any dialogue tags (using action to tell who is speaking), and the ones that I use I mix up instead of just using the same ones. But others like using "said" for each dialogue tag. It's up to the writer, and it's much like everything else. Just know how to use it.

As for your plot, right now it's very basic. It just seems like a usual original trainer fic with only one trainer and fighting off against the boss of the evil team, helped by the rival. It sounds almost like the other Pokemon manga, Special, in a way. Do you have any more details on the plot to mark it different from other OT fics?

But really, a large part of the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga was the humor in it. Capture that humor, and that will make the fic pretty unique in itself.

Well, that and no one seems to remember that Electric Tale of Pikachu exists. So just having a fic based on that is rare.

Drgons90, you do have an interesting idea. Exploring why Sinnoh Pokemon suddenly appear in Hoenn will make for a good plot right there, but with the new team trying for six legendary Pokemon, that's six chases you can make exciting. You say that you have ideas to twist up the plot, and that's good. With the idea to write it as a diary, you just have to remember that that's how you really catch your character's voice. By the way they write and react to things after the fact.

For the dialogue, I'm going to have to agree with Zayphora. Personally, I like the quotation marks over script. But if you want to do script, than that's fine. If you do want to change to the quotation marks, I can certainly help you with any questions you may have on punctuating dialogue tags.

We have to Mega-move it!
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Everyone seems to have forgotten my idea, so I'll post it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayphora View Post
I've got a weird idea for a story that may or may not fail.

Spoiler:
In this story "Hilda" is the main character, but I hate that name, so her name will be Maria. Additionally, "Red" is in this story but I also don't like that name so he will be known as Asher.

Spoiler:
Maria is BORED. She's beat the League, taken down a criminal mastermind, and even helped to round up his followers. So it's not so surprising that a year later, she's feeling a bit of a letdown.

Then Looker comes to call...AGAIN. At first Maria is annoyed. What does he want? He is the last person she would think could cheer her up, but when he tells her his problem, she becomes intrigued. Interpol has sent him to investigate the disappearance of the enigmatic former Kanto champion Asher Red. It's a well known fact to most Trainers that Asher waits atop Mount Silver for powerful trainers to battle him, but a few years ago, he was finally defeated by a girl named Lyra. He hasn't been seen by anyone since, and Interpol has only just noticed this and sent Looker to investigate. And Looker wants Maria to help him.

Feeling like her hope for another adventure has been answered, Maria eagerly sets out for Interpol headquarters with Looker. But all is not what he promised. When they arrive, Maria discovers that Looker was only asking her to accompany him because he didn't want to do it with another girl, known as Midnight. Midnight is experienced in this sort of thing, unlike Looker, but also extremely bossy and a control freak. She insists on coming along, and she and Maria are instantly rivaling.

With Skyla's help, they fly to Kanto, and discover that someone knew they were coming. It seems as if Asher has been leaving clues for them- clues that he knows only they could decipher. What is he trying to do here? And what is Maria supposed to make of the rumors of a super-powerful Ghost-type and a mysterious string of murders happening across the region?

You'll have to read the story to find out!

If you haven't figured it out yet...
Spoiler:
This story is loosely based on what would happen if Hilda and Looker were a part of the legend of Creepy Black.

So, does it have a chance of getting read? Or is it an epic fail?
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Yes, that would definitely get read. At least by me.

I never read any creepypastas before, so I had to look up what Creepy Black is. That alone is a good story. To see that a fanfic is going to go deeper and turn the idea into a horror/mystery story is even better.

Personally, I can't think of any advice to give. But in answer to your question, as I said, the fic will be read by at least one person.

We have to Mega-move it!
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:35 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
As a side note, I am a bit iffy on your decision to rename them. The protagonist maybe not so much as they are namable in the games, I suppose could be argued, but Red to Asher? That seems a somewhat unnecessary change to a canon character (given it seems you're working from the HGSS canon in which is name is established), and might confuse some people too (after all, that's mighty close to Ash, who Red already bears similarities too as well in Pokemon choice etc).

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Drgons90
Togepi

Well, I'll try to do my best to make it unique. Also, I might not be able to post everyday since I am very busy in real life, but I'm really hoping that the fic can go on endlessly.

As for the humor part, I'm not sure if I can give it some lols, but still I will do my best. I better get started then, you post it at the main forums right?

Another question, I looked through the examples of fanfic written, they all had that [Pokemon] or [Other]. How do you put that? Is it automatic?

Last edited by Drgons90; June 30th, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgons90 View Post
Another question, I looked through the examples of fanfic written, they all had that [Pokemon] or [Other]. How do you put that? Is it automatic?
When you start your own thread, you'll notice that there's a thread tag next to where the 'Title:' is. It should be a drop down menu.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Electricmudkip
N wins at life.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoflare View Post
Eh, I don't know if you'll check this thread after a month or something, but I wanted to post something for myself and I felt it is wrong for me to post while no one answered your request yet, so.....
I don't know how helpful I would be but just throwing in my two cents.

Spoiler:
Do the characters have to be Hilda, Bianca and Cheren? I mean you can base them off these three but considering they are high priests in this they must be totally different.

Now this plot can be splendid, but at the same time if you can't convince how a high priestess, who is not supposed to and have not emotionally attached themselves to anyone fall in love with a random guy who protests the ritual which they treat it with utmost respect and all it could fail. But if you can create Hilda's character in such a way that it is possible, like maybe she acted like a rebel among the priestesses when she was a child but was then forced or something like that you can convince in making her fall in love with the hero.

So first and foremost I think you need to develop Hilda's character rather well.
And now let's go to Cheren. He is a priest, and it is fine with a priest doing research(anime do that a lot, IDK about irl priest though). Then why would he give a suggestion as stupid(in a priest's eyes) as taming the dragons itself?

If someone like Cheren got that idea itself won't the people who made the ritual or the people who wanted the inhuman ritual for hundreds(possible eh?) of years?

As a writer you need to fill these holes if you want your characters with that particular background/ Instead you can introduce Cheren as a casual guy who is friends(?) with Hilda.
I saw this post, and thanks for your input. I guess it's time for me add more stuff to the "character development" list. Eh, I have notes for a reason.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Lavaridge
Beginning Trainer

Hi everyone - this is my first post on PokeCommunity and will hopefully lead to my first Pokemon fan fic. I usually write fan fics as screenplays, so I'm quite excited to write this one in story form. I'm trying to write a sort of series of episodes (each a story in itself but with a continuing arc) from the point of view of the main character, Maylee (though in 3rd person). I have the bigger picture sorted out, but the first episode/story is tricky. The plot idea for it is in spoiler tags because I've written a lot and don't want to fill up the page.

Spoiler:
It begins with a prologue – Jake is a trainer battling the Alola Town grass gym leader, Aria. Aria knows she's the first gym leader, there only to separate the weak from the utterly useless, so is more interested in making her gym pleasant on the eyes than she is in appearing intimidating, which later gym leaders will no doubt attempt to be. Aria battles well, but Jake defeats her first Pokemon. Despite the weather outside having been sunny when the battle started, it quickly becomes a storm. Jake and Aria continue to battle but eventually become distracted when thunder, lightning, and objects being carried by the wind become too scary to ignore. The two stand by the huge glass window in awe, before a gust of wind blows through the window and sends them both plummeting to the ground at least a storey below. The reader can assume they are either dead or unconscious by the chapter ending.

Then chapter one begins quickly with Maylee being strangled by a mysterious figure. She is weak and confused, but tries to fight him off in the mud, wind and rain. She does a decent job, but eventually collapses after a few strong blows. Luckily, a Growlithe jumps seemingly out of nowhere and bites the attacker, who Maylee then goes on to knock out cold. She looks around and sees two bodies on the ground - a boy and a young woman. They desperately check to see if they are alive, (the boy just about manages to open his eyes) and then start shouting/barking for help as they hear emergency services in the distance, though they are themselves weak.

In chapter two, Maylee wakes up in the Pokemon Centre in a bed with Growlithe by her side and the boy she helped rescue in the bed next to her. He is already awake, and speaks to her. She finds out he is called Jake - a Pokemon trainer who was injured when the gym was hit by the storm. He says Aria is in much worse shape than he is. Maylee looks a fool when interacting with Growlithe as she refers to it as a 'dog' and believes it to have dog-like intelligence. She has no idea what a Pokemon is. We also find out that Maylee has no memories of who she is or why she woke up where she did - Nurse Joy says they had to find clothes for her because she had nothing on her, nor any possessions or identification, when they found her. Jake decides to take her to Professor Linden's lab.

When they arrive, they are introduced to Professor Linden and his daughter, Monica, who is an aspiring physicist (though with an interest in Pokemon). Linden gives a Gameboy-style speech about Pokemon and is astounded that Maylee has no memories but still has knowledge of her name and how to speak etc - he does a search and finds no record of her anywhere. Linden notices Growlithe's attachment to Maylee and encourages her to try battling – because being a Pokemon trainer is a good way to learn about the world. It's also mentioned that the storm was very unusual, and that Linden is analyzing data from it as they speak. As they leave, Maylee notices that one of the lab assistants looks awfully like the man who attacked her.

Maylee and Jake have a practice battle, but it doesn't go well for her – she doesn't feel a connection with Growlithe and finds it hard to command him. Jake talks to her about it and she tells him about the attack and about Linden's assistant. Jake has trouble believing her, and reminds her that, as she was found almost passed out naked in the mud and rain, she could very well have been hallucinating and, even if she wasn't, she's not even sure herself that it's the same person.

<- Gap

Maylee sneaks into Linden's Lab at night and without Jake's knowledge with Growlithe and finds two Team Rocket grunts looking around. Without any idea how she developed the skills, she sneaks up behind them and effortlessly knocks them unconscious. As she proceeds further, she sees all sorts of boxes and computers, all stealing data. She eventually reaches the main lab, where Linden (and Monica perhaps, depending on gap) are being held hostage by a Rocket duo and a few guards. Maylee is forced to battle them and, during the fight starts to bond with Growlithe – understanding it and feeling what it feels. It is about to be knocked unconscious by the powerful Rocket pokemon, but Jake's pokemon intervenes from nowhere and distracts it long enough for Maylee to get Growlithe to use a fire attack. The Rocket pokemon is defeated, but the duo escape with the stolen data. Linden explains he'd found very strange readings from the storm, some almost resembling Pokemon and some he just couldn't understand at all. He's convinced Team Rocket are up to no good, but also that the information may concern Maylee and how she got where she did – perhaps why his assistant (who was working for TR after all) wanted to kidnap her.

Linden suggests that Maylee stay with them – they are about to travel to the next town where they can go to the research centre there. It's also the direction the Rocket agents were heading. Jake interrupts and points out that, after Maylee's impressive battle performance, he'd be happy to accompany her to the next town and show her how to be a trainer. Maylee seems far more happy with the second option and the pair decide to hunt down the rocket agents, recover the data and visit the research facility as well.

As for the characters:

Spoiler:

Maylee will come across as arrogant and aggressive, though not necessarily selfish; but quick to act and often unwilling to listen to reason. Nethertheless, we will find that she has keen instincts and, over the course of the series, hidden knowledge and abilities which may be key to stopping the Team Rocket plan. One of the main points will be Maylee discovering herself and bettering her relationship with people and pokemon.

Jake is much more calm and much less aggressive. He's actually more interested in learning about Pokemon than he is in battling them, and he's only really a trainer because it's a fantastic way to learn and discover. Maylee will become the serious trainer/battler over time. I really want to find a way to make sure that Jake doesn't come across as the main character in this story despite appearing first. I also want to make sure that he is the one following Maylee on her journey – as Maylee is the Ash of this series and Jake is the Misty :D

A third character will probably be introduced in the next story (assuming I finish this one) to make a trio - and I'm sure some romances and stuff will come into it at some point. The stories themselves will probably feature more conventional violence and less pokemon battling than the games and anime, though there will obviously be some battling as well; after all, Maylee is going to become a Pokemon trainer and will end up in gyms etc when not saving the world.

So I ask for your help:

Firstly and mainly in working out what to put in the gap - something which leads Maylee to think something's wrong at the lab (but which no-one else takes as good enough evidence) and break in to investigate. If you have any ideas on changing the other bits to better fit this better, that's totally fine with me. I'm not a pro at this so any advice is appreciated!
Secondly if any, more experienced, writers have any ideas for scenes or methods of writing to make Maylee's personality come across better to the reader - any tips are also appreciated.
Thirdly, I worry that I don't have a way of making sure that Maylee is very obviously the main character despite her appearing first and
Fourthly, if someone could perhaps help me pick a good pokemon for Jake - I was going to go with Pikachu but since that's really common I thought I'd give Marill a try, but Marill's a little bit odd. I'm not too familiar myself with the newer generation pokemon so perhaps one of those is Pikachu-like (small and feisty-looking, and preferably not normal or psychic or ghost type).

Last edited by Lavaridge; July 3rd, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Firstly, the general story idea is fairly interesting, so that's a good start.

Now... I will respond to this first:
Quote:
A third character will probably be introduced in the next story (assuming I finish this one) to make a trio - and I'm sure some romances and stuff will come into it at some point. The stories themselves will probably feature more conventional violence and less pokemon battling than the games and anime, though there will obviously be some battling as well; after all, Maylee is going to become a Pokemon trainer and will end up in gyms etc when not saving the world.
On the first point; how necessary is this? The way that's worded it seems that you're thinking about a third main character just to make a trio, and maybe introduce a romance, etc into it, but I'd warn against doing it just for the sake of that. Be sure that if you add a third main character that they would be relevant to the story and add their own impact, rather than just add a romantic sideplot. Also note that in fact the trio set-up with Pokemon fics with some romance, etc is very common. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but it does mean that if you do it then if it feels just like a repeat of how those other fics do it readers may get turned off from it.

For the second point, just be sure that it makes sense for Maylee to want to take on gym leaders and has time to do that and it makes sense/is realistic for her to do so in-between 'saving the world' - don't try to rely too much on following the formula of the games after all.
Quote:
Secondly if any, more experienced, writers have any ideas for scenes or methods of writing to make Maylee's personality come across better to the reader - any tips are also appreciated.
Well, that depends on how exactly you want the reader to see her or rather what you mean as 'come across better'. =p On that note; don't try to overdo it. If you have this character be protrayed as far better than anybody else despite her flaws then the character will actually suffer for it and seem boring. Nobody really wants to read about the person who does well at everything, and sometimes a likeable protaogist is still one which has their flaws show.
Quote:
Thirdly, I worry that I don't have a way of making sure that Maylee is very obviously the main character despite her appearing first
I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as you don't focus too long on Jack beyond the prologue. You could also say try to soften the amount he is involved in the prologue; for instance, keep description of him vague, don't yet name him, etc, and leave that for later after you establish Maylee's character.
Quote:
Fourthly, if someone could perhaps help me pick a good pokemon for Jake - I was going to go with Pikachu but since that's really common I thought I'd give Marill a try, but Marill's a little bit odd. I'm not too familiar myself with the newer generation pokemon so perhaps one of those is Pikachu-like (small and feisty-looking, and preferably not normal or psychic or ghost type).
There's not too many right or wrong Pokemon, frankly. I would suggest however against Pokemon that are very rare or unlikely for a regular trainer to start with (say a Dragon type or Eevee) without a solid explanation, and that'd extend to legendaries too. Marill as a side note is not too odd a Pokemon to read about; if a canon example of HGSS's pseudo rival having a Marill exists then I doubt there should be many problems with it, and it's also not a rare Pokemon for many regions, etc.

There's a bunch of Pikachu-like Pokemon as well that'd fit that bill; Plusle/Minun spring to mind as does Pachirisu and Emolga from 5th gen in particular. As for non-electric types... well, the list is long! Try some research into it and see what appeals to you to write about; there's the likes of serebii, bulbapedia, etc to use for that.

The BBS Forums!
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Nemesis51
Beginning Trainer

I am working on a pokemon adopt site and I have just finished an outline for the story line. I am more of a coder than a writer so I am looking for some feedback and maybe some creative help. So I got my ideas down but there's probably a better way to present it. Thank you so much for looking it over note: I removed the images in post that are on site.

Story

Welcome to Poke Island soon to be trainer. You had to come here to recieve your very first pokemon and join the initiative to repopulate the world we live in with pokemon. To fix the mistakes of our past. As you know there are no more wild Pokemon to obtain! They have all been caught or battled for training till fainted. But there is still hope! It has been noted that no pokemon has fully gone extinct and that some one somewhere has it. As such it is everyones duty to level the pokemon, care for them, breed them, and then trade them to other trainers. For doing such work you will be paid for your efforts to buy items and new pokemon eggs to raise.

Battling Forbiden

That's right, Pokemon battles are now outlawed and illegal to partake in. This decision is to stop the loss of more wild pokemon that are brutally trained on and never recieve medical aid, but are left fainted in the wild. This also stops trainer negligence who push their pokemon to hard. This will also free up a lot of recourses as medication, status healers, and free healthcare will not be overburdened. We understand your conce with the issue of leveling your pokemon so please read on to our scientific findings.

Prof. Oak's Findings

Professor Oak has been studing pokemon for many years. He came up with the theory that pokemon do not need to battle to evolve or level up and get stronger. But rather it is social interaction that enables them to develope and live a healthy life. Many were astonished at this fact but many of the other scientist confirmed it to be true. Even though battleing does drive up a pokemons experiance, it is just social interaction, experiances can be achieved through safer means. This obviously helped push the laws that eventually outlawed battling completely.

New Technology

With humans and pokemon sharing the same world space began to run out pretty quick. But a new Poke Box has also been developed, one that can theoretically hold an infinite amount of pokemon. As such pokemon are not allowed to wonder about without a trainer. This keeps everyone safe from wild pokemon attacks, or illegal pokemon training battles. Pokemon are also tagged convienanlty to their owners and can not be easily stolen. This allows any trainer to take out a pokemon even if they do not own it. What they can do with the pokemon is limited to only social interaction but this way trainers can work together to take pokemon out of the box system and help them develope. However the owning trainer is in full control if their pokemon evolves, recieves an item, is used for breeding, or is traded.

We Hope You Enjoy Your Social Adventures Here at PokeBox
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Moving this to the Plot Bunny thread, since you're just asking about your plot.

We have to Mega-move it!
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Gothitelle.
<3;

Nature: Adamant
I had an idea for my plot as well but I'm having a hardtime putting it down. Basically, I'm trying to base of on an moment in Heartgold/Soulsilver to where the female Team Rocket grunt was telling you, the player, that she thinks Proton is this and that and how she thinks he's cool and that he's all she needs. Well, I am trying to make it to that that when he sees that Team Rocket has come back in the Unova reigon (well the team was recreated by that same girl with her friend and they have renounced their criminal ways and wanted Team Rocket to be a detective agency) and sees that same girl (because yes he remembers her), he wants to meet her.

So he meets her and the Team and start talking etc and in the end they get together. Problem is that when I put them in a relationship, there's something I'm not doing right and it's to do with Proton. Can this plot *still* be doable?

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Depends what your problem is with Proton. If you're keeping him in character, and his canon characterization is as someone who can't be in a relationship (for whatever reason), then you might have to consider the story a no-go.

But it all depends on what your problem with Proton is. Do you mind giving us more details?

We have to Mega-move it!
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Gothitelle.
<3;

Nature: Adamant
The story isn't a no go, I just posted part of it right now. Besides I see other people put him in a relationship so you can't just count me out.

Problem is, temperamental is a feeling I fail at trying to convey.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Just because other people write about a couple in fanfiction still doesn't mean that it will work. People write out-of-character couple fics all the time, so it's still possible that this couple won't fully work no matter how or who writes it.

You asked if the plot is still doable. I said it might not because Proton might not want to be in a relationship even if you want him to be. That's how I answered because that's what you asked.

Instead you wanted to know about a part of his characterization, which could only be answered if you posted the story in question. While you did today, it wasn't posted yesterday, and I couldn't use it to answer your new question.

This thread isn't for characterization help. It's for plot help, which is how I answered. The only way to get an answer for your current problem is to wait for someone to read and review your story.

We have to Mega-move it!
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:30 PM
EvilSkittles
Lord of the kitchen

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to EvilSkittles
Well I have two plot bunnies I've been putting some work into and one that just popped up while I was asleep last night.

1. A young Nurse Joy gains her first Pokecenter. Her experiences as she learns how everything can and will go wrong and just how idiotic trainers can be. Told in letters and conversations with her older Joys.

2. The life of a Pokemon Trainer is greatly romanticized but few travel and even fewer make it very far. 17 year old Emile is now old enough to become a trainer. He is expected to one day take over his father's, Norman, gym. For this reason he is being sent out on a journey to become a stronger and well respected trainer. Emile is ecstatic, being the only one of his friends able to go, but little does he realize that reality differs from the stories.

3. The Isham region is in turmoil, the region's legendaries are slowly destroying the land. Researcher Issac is part of a taskforce to stop this. He and his partner find that there is a common link between legendary pokemon incidences. One trainer named Ash. The taskforce is sent to capture Ash and have him quell the powerful beasts.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
PhanpyFan
Pokemon Chronicler

Hi guys!
I'm coming up with a futuristic, dark Pokemon setting that takes place in Kanto, which I will use in both a tabletop RPG and (hopefully soon) in a fan fiction that I am planning. I've always wanted to see the Pokemon world portrayed this way, as it seems like in reality it would be a horrifying setting to live in when people could carry huge monsters in their pockets.

This is what I have so far on the history of Kanto and how the Pokemon world developed before and after the events of Gen 1-2:
Spoiler:

It’s funny to think that at one point Pokemon and humans coexisted
peacefully. The memory of such a time has all but faded through the course of
history.

Pokemon have had a long history of collaboration with human
interests. Throughout most of history, the possession of Pokemon was an
indication of high status and these domesticated monsters were used for military
purposes. Approximately 500 years ago, a social transformation began. At the
turn of the Industrial Age, new technologies were developed that allowed for the
easy storage, transportation, and upkeep of Pokemon. As these technologies
became available to the public, Pokemon began to be employed as bodyguards and
mercenary units for private interests.

However, it was Silph Co, military manufacturer of Pokemon
technologies, which forever changed the relationship between Pokemon and people.
It began with a simple idea: to make Pokemon training more accessible to the
public. So they introduced a groundbreaking solution: Pokemon made Pokemon
products. Pokemon were remarkably good at being trained for general labor. Their
natural hard work ethic and low cost of living meant that they could hold longer
hours and be compensated with only food and shelter. So for a time, the hobby of
Pokemon training exploded into the mainstream. Now even those on a modest salary
could afford Pokemon made Pokemon products and even some children were
financially able to maintain a journey dedicated to their Pokemon. Soon, Silph
Co. took its idea to its natural progression; they began training Pokemon for
other enterprises, resulting in Pokemon staffed hospitials and Pokemon made
automobiles, even Pokemon artisans. For a period of about 300 years, Pokemon
became integral with every aspect of human society. Pokemon were raised as pets,
business partners, and even friends. However, the most common use for Pokemon
was Pokemon battling, a cultural retention of the aggressive, military image of
Pokemon. However, unlike in previous times, Pokemon were no longer involved in
feudal disputes and civil wars. The introduction of Pokemon into human society
led Kanto to 150 years of peace and prosperity in a world where Pokemon provided
sources for renewable energy, advanced medical skills, and cheap labor.

It was the human-owned businesses that went first. Pokemon
could work longer hours than humans with greater efficiency. Nobody wanted to
buy human-made cloth anymore when they could buy a Silph product at half the
price and twice the thread count. Even small shops that owned one or two Pokemon
to assist them were soon overwhelmed by the high demand for the cheaper Silph
made products. Silph Co. quickly had a monopoly on all Pokemon-related
manufacturing and was quickly gaining dominance in other markets. Its business
model constantly evolved; taking on all competitors. The Machoke that once took
the industry far beyond its competitors became obsolete. Experimentation with
Pokemon technology gave Silph researchers the ability to force Pokemon to
evolve, meaning Machamp became the standard for competitive labor.

Pokemon became more and more specialized to their tasks:
Tyrogue had small fingers, useful for making complex mechanical machines with
small parts. Ivysaur were ideal for their ability to manipulate and accelerate
the growth of plants. Soon, Silph Co. controlled virtually all markets, as it
alone had the resources to breed and train Pokemon for specific industrial
purposes.

The world economy began to crumble under the weight of this
new market. Pokemon worked for only food and shelter, so they had no capacity
for paying taxes, despite being the primary workers of the Kanto and Johto
regions. In Kanto and Johto, people flocked to Saffron and Goldenrod cities
looking for work suitable for humans, leaving the outer cities to dwindle into
small towns and in leaving some in ruins. Saffron and Goldenrod cities expanded
from the center of their continents, reaching out and enveloping small towns as
their suburbs and ghettos grew in population. As they enveloped neighboring
towns, Saffron became known as Obsidian City and Goldenrod became known as
Gainsboro City.

It was at this point that the Johto government pulled the plug on Silph Co’s
expansion. They saw the damage that the industry had on their economy and
ordered them to hire human workers for certain types of labor and leave these
human work markets alone. Through this policy, Johto was able to maintain the
last of its large cities and some of its cultural heritage of Pokemon training,
but as a result isolated itself from the world market, which it could no longer
compete in as a result of this decision.

Meanwhile, Obsidian City grew bigger and bigger until the only reputable jobs
in all of Kanto could be found there. The wealth disparity skyrocketed. Society
broke down into three basic classes: The upper class, the trade class, and the
trade-less.

As we approach the conditions of the present day, the trade class in Kanto is
all but obsolete. There are so few specialty markets left. The small, family
owned business struggle to do anything they can to pay their high cost of living
and hold back the steady creep of the slums into the foreclosing suburbs. Nobody
knows much about Pokemon anymore, except for those with specialized educations.
Only the upper class has the means to study them and afford the purebred
specimens.

Years of propaganda has led the public to believe that wild Pokemon are
violent and dangerous and that only specially bred Pokemon could be compatible
with human society. Wild Pokemon were pushed further and further out of their
home territories and engaged in frustrated, sometimes violent reclaiming of
their old territories. This and public opinion shifting away from protecting
wild Pokemon, led to the building of the Great Retaining Wall to protect
Obsidian City from wild Pokemon attacks.

The hierarchy of society was complete; the upper class and what was left of
the Kanto government protected the lower classes from wild Pokemon and the lower
classes kept in their place out of fear of both the corrupt trainers that
protected them and of the wild Pokemon that they were protected against.

I'd appreciate any feedback on realism and whether or not this political/economic explanation works well with what Pokemon fan base already knows about the Pokemon world. I'm really excited about the concept and would like to make it really in-depth. Thanks!

Last edited by PhanpyFan; August 30th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:58 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

It's a decent basis imo, and could be interesting to explore as well (I've seen some neat fics with varying ideas of Pokemon world setup going wrong later one as well so it's something that I'd be interested in reading too). Seems fairly well thought out too, and atm I don't see any notable flaws with this what-if; seems belieable enough. Exploring how the working Pokemon felt about it, etc would be something to consider btw; seems like it could be a waste to ignore that side of the history.

The BBS Forums!
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
PhanpyFan
Pokemon Chronicler

Thanks, Bobandbill! I'll be sure to add that in there somewhere for you as the story develops. I've just finished the first chapter of the fan fic and the url to my Tabletop RPG's website is on my home page.
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
SanityStealer
Unhatched Egg

I've been playing around with an idea for a while and I'd love some feedback.

A wild SUMMARY has appeared!

Sasha, a lonely little street rat with a talent for stealing things, is picked up by Team Rocket and trained. Years later, Red destroys Team Rocket and sends Giovanni into hiding, leading the police force to capture and imprison many Rockets, including Sasha. Playing nice with the other kids gets her out on good behavior after two and a half years - but it also gets her a cranky parole officer that she has to report to constantly. When news of Rocket's resurgence reaches her, Sasha leaves Saffron to go find out what her old teammates are up to, and ultimately goes on a quest to get revenge on Red, who has recently secluded himself on Mt. Silver, for landing her in jail - and to teach him some lessons about how the real world works while she's at it.

Thoughts? Comments? Anything that needs to be brutally torn apart and burned?

Last edited by SanityStealer; September 26th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
Psyanic uses Feedback!

Is Sasha literally a rat? It gets slightly confusing because I thought Sasha was a Rattata at first given that she's picked up my Team Rocket, which made it sound like she's a Pokemon.

Anyway, I don't find that 'playing nice' would get her out of jail. Given that she's stealing (and I don't really see that as a talent; stealing is like art or plumbing - you have to build your skill) and working for a nefarious organization such as Team Rocket, I can assume Sasha is not young and would be in an actual prison or some juvenile correction facility. In either case, 'playing nice' wouldn't exactly earn her parole, but because she seems to be a bit low-ranking, I suppose she could get off early. However, there won't be too many nice kids to play with in a prison (using this interchangeably from juvenile correction facility). Her parole officer may provide a lot of interesting situations since Sasha has to report to the officer, so there's that. I can only say that it might be difficult to go to Mt. Silver when you have an officer to report to considering that Mt. Silver isn't a little hike in the woods.

Another thing is that Sasha has very little motivation to go after Red. First, you have to remember that Red practically took down the organization by himself. That alone should show how powerful of a trainer he is. Of course, it's your story and the situation could be virtually everything, but it's important to note that Red is not going to roll over. Sasha's old 'teammate's should also be in jail, so she wouldn't exactly check up on them all that frequently. Also, Sasha doesn't have a good reason to get revenge. I mean, she got picked up by an organization and it fell. So what? It's like landing a job in a company that goes bankrupt the next day. It's not your fault or anything. That sort of happened. You'll just get a new job. Sasha, to me, should move on away from crime, because look where it got her. She got in jail, not a place of unicorns and cotton candy. Your idea is fine. I like the idea of revenge fics, and I've tried playing with them myself but never get around to it, but in a story driven by revenge, there has to be a legitimate reason for revenge. Besides, if Team Rocket was on a revival, what drivers her to go after Red when she could just melt into Team Rocket once more?
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
SanityStealer
Unhatched Egg

And that's pretty much exactly why I wanted feedback! I wasn't even sure if the idea was plausible, let alone a good one. Thanks for your input!

I may rework the idea later, I may not, but for now it looks like this one's going to be set aside.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here