Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews
Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:16 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
You have been busy! :3

The temptation to also make an LP of SC4 and make a battle of the cities is high! XD
BRING. IT. ON.

Though I may well get bored with this region by July because I'll probably have it mostly urbanized. Then I'll move onto another region.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well, I might wait till you move onto your new region! :3
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Okay, I lied. I will be nowhere near done with this region come July.

So our next city we shall tour will be West Grandia Flats, which is kind of an extension of Grenadia Flats in terms of urban area. The city has a population of 41,601, which makes it the 4th most populated city in the region and second largest in Grenadia County.

Update 7 - West Granadia Flats
Spoiler:
Here we have an overview of the main portion of the city:

This is a closer look at the southeastern corner of the city, the area closest to Grenadia Flats. The traffic is quite heavy in this area, with bi-directional heavy traffic traveling across the city-line on both the highway and the monorail. Around 15,000 Sims cross the border both ways each day. Though an additional 10,000 go between the two cities through a pair of cities that border both of these cities.

Traveling a bit further north, we have the border neighborhood generally referred to locally as West's East Side where much of the city's residents reside.

Here we have the North Side, which contains the heart of West Granadia Flat's business district.

Crossing the highway, we have North Town, a not very dense area of the city.

These are the farm fields that lie in the northwest of the city.

And they also extend to the west side of the city. This area contains the prestigious Grenadia Flats Farmer's University, and the highway running out the western border leads directly to the northern suburbs of Donavann.

And, lastly, we have the western half of the city, which contains most of the city's industrial areas.

I have been quite busy playing and the region's population now sits at 540,797. Updates will come faster now that I've remembered what cities I have and haven't shown you.

Bonus information for this update - Top 10 Largest Cities in Timbuktu:
Spoiler:

1. Grenadia Flats 109,067
2. Donavann 74,332
3. Dakota City 47,850
4. West Grenadia Flats 41,601
5. Iron Port 19,873
6. West Dakota City 18,961
7. North Dakota City 17,320
8. Arbor Point 16,275
9. North Donavann 15,472
10. Mount Menelaeus 13,991

And I'll end this update by leaving you with this image so you can try to figure out which areas are which cities:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6...u20may2012.png
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
YOU SUCK FOR LEAVING IT THIS LONG FOR AN UPDATE!

Anyway, it is looking epic. Population at half a million? XD
Your little people have been busy! :P
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
YOU SUCK FOR LEAVING IT THIS LONG FOR AN UPDATE!

Anyway, it is looking epic. Population at half a million? XD
Your little people have been busy! :P
Yes I do suck and yes they have been busy! Anyway, have another update!

Update 8 - Donavann Changes Some More:

I actually did this stuff prior to compiling the stats for the region, so that population there is the final product of these projects. I re-did the highway mess, added some land, and added an airport!

Spoiler:

First up, the airport! All the stuff you see here is going to be replaced by the airport within a short sim-year.

And this is what the area looks like after the airport has been built! It also has been the beneficiary of some of the highway reconstruction going on in other areas of the city.

Next up is some more land reclamation done near Downtown Donavann! Initially, this was done to make room for the airport, but it was soon realized that would not be a good location at all and that it would be quite expensive to reclaim and flatten enough land for the airport by the river.

And finally, we have the highway network reconstruction! Below is an overview of all the changes made. It's much tidier than that previous tangled mess of a system that was there before.

Here we have a closer-in view of the industrial portion of the highway reconstruction. Traffic was horrible through this area, which is why the highways through here got denser than they were. To make room for all the highways, the railway through here also got a major re-route.

And that's all I got for pictures for now. I will have to actually play the game again to get some more screenshots made.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Aww... no replies. :(

Anyway, next update.

Update 9 - Welshville!

Spoiler:

Welshville is an immediate suburb of Grenadia Flats and as a result has a high volume of traffic that flows through it between West Grenadia Flats and Grenadia Flats. It has a population of 7,259, but looks a fair bit bigger than that.

This is an overview of the city:

This is Welsh Island and is what locals mean when they say Welshville.

This is the western zone of the island and contains most of the island's industry. Many of the island's inhabitants work here.

This is the central zone of the island, and contains the main commercial district of the island.

And this happens to be the eastern zone of the island, which is predominantly residential and contains the historic Welsh Rock Lighthouse.

Moving back ashore, we have the area known as East Darco, named so because it borders the small town of Darco directly.

Traveling south, we have central Welshville Shores.

Heading east along the shoreline, we have the Ferry District, which is part of Welshville Shores.

And re-orientating ourselves to face toward the shore, we head east and reach the easternmost portion of Welshville Shores.

That's all I got on Welshville for now. Enjoy!
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Dying Light
Pegasus Knight

Nature: Hardy
I suddenly have the urge to dig this outta my stack of old PC games and build some cities!

For when Minecraft gives you lemons... make cities in Sim City!

Nice LP, by the way! :D
None

“Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:07 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
I suddenly have the urge to dig this outta my stack of old PC games and build some cities!

For when Minecraft gives you lemons... make cities in Sim City! :P

Nice LP, by the way! :D
This LP tends to have that effect on people!

Update 10 - Benjamin:

Spoiler:
Benjamin is another immediate suburb of Grenadia Flats, and, like Welshville, has oodles of traffic that flows between Grenadia Flats and West Grenadia Flats flowing through it. Benjamin is also a decent sized suburb in its own right, checking in at 13,775 for its population, and generating a fair bit of traffic of its own. There's also some long-distance inter-city traffic that passes through here as well, with it also being only 1 city tile away from Donavann.

Overview:

A closer in look at the developed portion of the city.

Here we have the city center, which has been ravaged by road widenings in recent years due to a very heavy flow of traffic through the area. Those road widenings, however, are still not enough to handle all the traffic flowing through the area, and upgrades are due soon.

Here we have the affluent eastern neighborhoods of the city.

And across the highway we have the much denser and poorer New Railroad Town, named so because it was where the railroad through the area was rerouted when the highway was being built.

Moving further west, we have an overview of the entire northwestern portion of the city.

And to finish things off, we have the city's lone industrial park, which has a high concentration of high-tech industries.

I have quite a bit more to show you all, but I need to receive comments so I don't have pages that are modem slayers, and so I can get everything else I have to show you posted faster!
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I wanna see some skyscrapers and some hi-tech industry! When are you gonna start getting those in? Yes, I'm shallow, but that's pretty much the entire reason why I play the game. Getting that first skyscraper is a wonderful feeling! :D
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
I wanna see some skyscrapers and some hi-tech industry! When are you gonna start getting those in? Yes, I'm shallow, but that's pretty much the entire reason why I play the game. Getting that first skyscraper is a wonderful feeling! :D
I'm working toward those by building up the region around my core cities!

Though several cities do have hi-tech industry pockets. Like that last city I posted.

Update 11 - Trelawny:
Spoiler:

Trelawny is a small town with lots of elements of the big city, being located immediately south of Grenadia Flats. One of those elements is terrible traffic that passes through here on its way to Grenadia Flats from the larger towns and cities to the south and east of Trelawny.

Here is an overview of the developed portion of the city.

Moving closer in, we have a shot of the business district, as well as the traffic congestion in action.

Moving to our east, and zooming back out, we have a look at the eastern portion of the city, with more congestion visible. Thing is, I'm fairly certain that it's 1:40 in the afternoon in this shots and this is still the morning traffic heading into the city.

Here we have the bridge that heads into the city, STILL backed up with traffic all the way down its length. This is roughly the entire length of the bridge.

And here, for our last picture, we have the south end of the bridge, which, as you can see, is also full of traffic on one side. The road that heads into that tunnel is also very heavily congested, with some of the worst traffic in the region. Unfortunately, there are no plans on the horizon to upgrade this area's traffic capabilities for the foreseeable future, much to the chagrin of everyone affected.

I have also included a somewhat outdated map that defines the highways maintained by the Regional Transportation Authority as well showing the boundaries of the six counties in the region.
Spoiler:
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Whoops. Accidentally reset the tutorial city tiles for the game. There are 5 of those, and 4 of those were my largest cities (most of the actual population of those was my work, though).

SO ONTO A NEW REGION!

We begin with a map I created using Sim City Region and Config Creator. That's too big to create an overview image of that Imageshack will upload. Oh, wait, Imgur! Just hope it doesn't shrink it.

Overview image (warning: MASSIVE 4068x2068):
http://i.imgur.com/76vzd.jpg

This region is called the Trimblelina Republic, named so for the nation I roleplayed as back in my major Sim City days. All cities will be named after my major cities from those days.

Then I build a city on one of the tiles. This will be named Trimblelina City.

We move a bit closer in. Can't really see anything yet.

Still closer in. We can kind of make out some details.

Even closer in, this is the west half of the town.

And to finish things off we have the eastern half!

Trimblelina City is still a very, very small town.
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:16 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Okay, I've scrapped yet another region in favor of a positively massive region that's so big, I had to create a Dropbox account to upload a regional overview! And Dropbox still won't let me share the full-size picture!

Basically, the picture below just ends up serving as a land-mass overview. There are 256 large city tiles in this region!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yhu23b031...rs12-23-12.png
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Super-Region, Update 2 - Packing Sims onto an Island:

Okay, so I've been quite busy on this region, which I've named after myself, and I'm making a city out of a place that resembles Manhattan.

That island has inhabited areas across FOUR city tiles. The goal is to have it entirely built up and have pockets of taller skyscrapers as well as a few super-talls. The population across the 4 islands is about 116,000 as of this moment.

Zooming in on the island's main city, we focus on Riverbottom:

Eastern half of the built-up area:

Western half of the built-up area, with Downtown at the bottom of the picture:

And, finally, most of this city's jobs to keep all those people employed are here in this industrial park:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links