The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM
DalkonCledwin
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Lonely
Guys I am still sort of new at this, and my Mentor appears to be offline for the day, so I thought I would ask here to see if I get a more immediate response... but with regards to EV training and breeding pokemon, does the EV rating of the parent pokemon in any way affect the child pokemon? Or am I just making a fool of myself?

Soul Silver Version: Drakon (6 Badge) FC = 5415 6343 7704
White Version: Drake (5 Badges) FC = 1936 6983 9022
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
Guys I am still sort of new at this, and my Mentor appears to be offline for the day, so I thought I would ask here to see if I get a more immediate response... but with regards to EV training and breeding pokemon, does the EV rating of the parent pokemon in any way affect the child pokemon? Or am I just making a fool of myself?
The EVs of the parent Pokémon have nothing to do with the child, the parent's IVs do however.
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
DalkonCledwin
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
The EVs of the parent Pokémon have nothing to do with the child, the parent's IVs do however.
Thank you, that helps me a whole heck of a lot :D

Soul Silver Version: Drakon (6 Badge) FC = 5415 6343 7704
White Version: Drake (5 Badges) FC = 1936 6983 9022
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
keoShine
Beginning Trainer

I don't know where exactly this would go, so feel free to move it if necessary, mods.

Since the Random Number in the Damage Formula is pretty small (a range of 15% of total damage), shouldn't it be possible to find a range of [Special] Attack IVs before even catching a pokémon? Damage is known, your pokémon's defense is known, and Level is known. The only remaining variables in the Damage Formula are the offending pokémon's [Sp.] Attack stat and Rand(85,100). Given a high enough level pokémon (where IVs will have a better effect), it would be possible to find the Minimum IV needed to do the damage and the Maximum IV. After multiple attacks, the range would become more narrow as long as the random number is different since all other variables are constant for a single pokémon.

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong in all this? Has anyone ever gone through the trouble to find the math for all this?
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Rashaden
Beginning Trainer

I am working with my Nidoking that I hatched myself and am trying to find a moveset that will allow him to be able to stand his ground against other Pokemon that are his weakness. If you don't know, his weaknesses are:

Water / Ice / Ground / Psychic

This is how he looks currently:

Lv. 59

Ability - Poison Point

Stats:
HP - 185
Attack - 130
Defense - 117
Sp. Atk - 120
Sp. Def - 99
Speed - 141

Moveset:
Head Smash <-- Bred into him
Megahorn <-- to combat Psychic-types
Earthquake
Toxic

I don't know too much about IV's or EV's but I am getting the basics down for EV training I just don't really worry about it much at all. Advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of teaching him Thunderbolt but I'm not too sure...

White FC: 3997 5798 7670
SoulSilver FC: 4341 8916 0209

I am a Breeder! My favorite breedings I've done are:
Absol with Megahorn
Cyndaquil with Extrasensory
Marowak and Gastly with Perish Song
Growlithe with Morning Sun

Last edited by Rashaden; July 6th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:31 PM
A Sadistic Bastard

Get Nidoking with sheer force. Teach it Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Earth Power/Fireblast (or flamethrower). Make it timid/modest. Give it a life orb. This is what makes Nidoking usable.

----------------------------------
White FC: 2580 7669 3124
Platinum FC: 5028 8983 1499
----------------------------------
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
What ^ said. Its probably the only good moveset for Nidoking.
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Merged Rashaden's and keoShine questions into Q&A.

Last edited by Alinthea; July 7th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
phinamthi
Steel Type Trainer

Nature: Modest
Is The community's PO server wack at the moment? When I connect, I get,
"Connected to Server"
Then nothing. That's the only thing on the chat box. No welcome message, rules, or people.

Thx in advance

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sadistic Bastard View Post
Get Nidoking with sheer force. Teach it Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Earth Power/Fireblast (or flamethrower). Make it timid/modest. Give it a life orb. This is what makes Nidoking usable.
Actually Nidoking can run another set similar to its standard special set;

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest (+SpA; -Atk) / Timid (+Spe; -Atk)
Sheer Force
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Sludge Wave / Fire Blast
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Nidoking has pretty basic speed, so a Choice Scarf is a nice item for it considering Sheer Force + its booster powered moves + amazing coverage allow it to hurt a lot of things. Sludge Wave is a nice STAB that gets boosted by Sheer Force but doesn't get coverage on much.

I'm pretty sure there's a Hone Claws set that utilizes Hone Claws and Rock Slide, too.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:55 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post

Actually Nidoking can run another set similar to its standard special set;

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest (+SpA; -Atk) / Timid (+Spe; -Atk)
Sheer Force
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Sludge Wave / Fire Blast
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Nidoking has pretty basic speed, so a Choice Scarf is a nice item for it considering Sheer Force + its booster powered moves + amazing coverage allow it to hurt a lot of things. Sludge Wave is a nice STAB that gets boosted by Sheer Force but doesn't get coverage on much.

I'm pretty sure there's a Hone Claws set that utilizes Hone Claws and Rock Slide, too.
To add to the Hone Claws part, Nidoking can utilize the Attack boost for Earthquake and the accuracy boost for Special moves with high power, but low accuracy, like Blizzard. Here's the set:
-Hone Claws
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Thunder/Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Sheer Force Nidoking also gained the elemental punches in B2/W2, so it can use them in place of the special moves listed above.

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
SuperTreaz
The Elder of Dunsparce

Nature: Bold
Are any guides allowed in CBC?
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
coolalex144
Pokemon Fan since 2001.

Nature: Calm
Hey everyone.

I'm making a competitive team and i'm not sure what to use for my Ev's.

so far I have a mudkip with perfect Iv's and Curse/ waterfall and avalanche.
I'm not sure what to put his Ev's as. Should i give him 252 Hp/252 attack/4 defence? Or 252hp/252defence/4 attack?

Also, i'm hopefully getting a ferrowthorn with 31/31/31/31/31/31 iv's.
How should I Ev him also?

I may also get a Flawless Larvitar.

How should I ev him? I'm assuming I should put 252 ev's in Attack of course. But should I but the rest in defence? Or hp?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

I look forward to your responses!

Old July 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM
SuperTreaz
The Elder of Dunsparce

Well, if Mudkip has Curse, give him 252HP/40Def/216Speed. If you also want to consider the moveset... Here's one I got on the smogon forums. Curse+Resttalk Curse/Waterfall/Rest/SleepTalk.

Ferrothorn is a little tricky. I would make sure he has 0 Speed IVs so a Gyro Ball would work. I would have his EVs at 252HP/88Def/168Sp.Def. He should run the moveset of: GyroBall/PowerWhip/ThunderWave/LeechSeed

I don't know about Larvitar though. Maybe 252 Atk/192Speed/64Def?
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
wolf
on a DLoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinamthi View Post
Is The community's PO server wack at the moment? When I connect, I get,
"Connected to Server"
Then nothing. That's the only thing on the chat box. No welcome message, rules, or people.

Thx in advance
You should get message saying you disconnected if it's down. Assuming you have updated your PO to v.2, it means you can't access the server because it hasn't been updated yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTreaz View Post
Are any guides allowed in CBC?
Of course they are! I'll put links to them in the Resource Thread if it's important or useful enough.
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
SuperTreaz
The Elder of Dunsparce

Cool! I'll get started on mine now! Hopefully I won't be flamed into oblivion... Haha, I'm kidding! :D
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
coolalex144
Pokemon Fan since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTreaz View Post
Well, if Mudkip has Curse, give him 252HP/40Def/216Speed. If you also want to consider the moveset... Here's one I got on the smogon forums. Curse+Resttalk Curse/Waterfall/Rest/SleepTalk.

Ferrothorn is a little tricky. I would make sure he has 0 Speed IVs so a Gyro Ball would work. I would have his EVs at 252HP/88Def/168Sp.Def. He should run the moveset of: GyroBall/PowerWhip/ThunderWave/LeechSeed

I don't know about Larvitar though. Maybe 252 Atk/192Speed/64Def?
Thanks for your input! That part about the 0 speed iv's for a Gyro ball was brilliant. But he won't be able to dish out that much damage. So i guess he'd be a tank

And with swampert, would this work?

Moveset Ev's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Speed
~ Waterfall / Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch / Stone Edge
~ Superpower

And I think those Ev's with Larvitar would be pretty good. Maybe a little boost to hp or defence by halfing speed or something ;D

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:54 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolalex144 View Post
Thanks for your input! That part about the 0 speed iv's for a Gyro ball was brilliant. But he won't be able to dish out that much damage. So i guess he'd be a tank

And with swampert, would this work?

Moveset Ev's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Speed
~ Waterfall / Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch / Stone Edge
~ Superpower

And I think those Ev's with Larvitar would be pretty good. Maybe a little boost to hp or defence by halfing speed or something ;D
To clear up any misreadings, Tyranitar's EV spread should be 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef. (SuperTreaz probably mixed up the abbreviations). You can also use 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe with a Hasty nature for a more offensive approach, but that comprises Tyranitar's bulk a bit.

And the above EV spread looks okay to me.

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM
coolalex144
Pokemon Fan since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
To clear up any misreadings, Tyranitar's EV spread should be 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef. (SuperTreaz probably mixed up the abbreviations). You can also use 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe with a Hasty nature for a more offensive approach, but that comprises Tyranitar's bulk a bit.

And the above EV spread looks okay to me.
Okay. What about a FerrowThorn?

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Okay. What about a FerrowThorn?
Oh, whoops. Should've said that too, but anyway: The standard Ferrothorn's EV spread should be 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature for more balanced defenses. The EVs and nature can also be tweaked so Ferrothorn can be more physically or specially defensive.

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
coolalex144
Pokemon Fan since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Oh, whoops. Should've said that too, but anyway: The standard Ferrothorn's EV spread should be 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature for more balanced defenses. The EVs and nature can also be tweaked so Ferrothorn can be more physically or specially defensive.
Thanks
Do you have a suggested moveset/strategy for him? I've never used him before, I've heard he's amazing.

Old July 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Thanks
Do you have a suggested moveset/strategy for him? I've never used him before, I've heard he's amazing.
Ferrothorn is mainly played as a support Pokemon who sets up entry hazards and Leech Seed. It also serves as an excellent check to Water Pokemon thanks to its Grass/Steel typing. The standard Ferrothorn set uses:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Since B2/W2 is coming soon, you can also use all 3 of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Leech Seed, plus an attacking move, but that leaves you as near-complete set-up bait.

Old July 21st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Ramos123
Beginning Trainer

What are some good leads for my OU stall team? So far I'm in the building stage with a Subprotect Gliscor and Ferrocent core
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos123 View Post
What are some good leads for my OU stall team? So far I'm in the building stage with a Subprotect Gliscor and Ferrocent core
Leads don't really exist anymore... :( Anyway, I guess something that can lay down hazards. From the Pokemon so far, I guess Ferrothorn would be a good lead for you. Or since you're using Ferrothorn/Jellicent you could try running Politoed and use that as your 'lead'?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:22 AM
Vivi on Diamond
Beginning Trainer

Ok so i have a Lv.70 Timid (speed+, att-) Alert to Sounds Gengar Ev trained with 252 speed 252 sp attack 4 HP, according to 3 different IV calculators it has 31 IV in speed 24 in SP.A and 19 in HP. I use a life orb on him.

now for the problem, i've battled 2 people now on WIFI at lv. 50 cap whom also lead with a Gengar, assuming mine is faster i substituted hoping for a miss but both times i was outsped and one shotted by their shadow ball, now assuming the fact that i was outsped ment that they were using choice scarf i switch in my milotic to take care of him.... to which i eat a thunderbolt which obviously means they're not choiced, i also one shotted they're gengar back to which they responded to by holding on with focus sash, which eliminated the possibility of a quick claw or something of that nature.

So my question is how is this possible for this to happen twice when by all accounts my Gengar couldnt be any faster bar choice scarf? the only thing that i can think of is since shes not level 100 all of her EV havent been "activated" however i cant find any information as to if you need to level to 100 for all 252 EVs to be active at lv 50. cap, id think that type of thing would be all over the place warning people that they need to hit level 100 for their EV training to be fully effective in 50 cap battles if that were true, so im at a loss.

Help me out

Last edited by Vivi on Diamond; July 23rd, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links