The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted June 25th, 2012 (06:37 PM).
LonsoKitty
Beginning Trainer

Shouldn't it be this way?
Old Posted June 25th, 2012 (08:10 PM).
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I like how they're introducing new methods for getting shiny Pokemon, because I think now they're realizing that people can just RNG abuse for them whenever they want so really shinies aren't that huge of a deal anymore. There's also people like me who only have none or a few shinies (a Poochyena in Emerald a few years ago, a Shellder in Silver that I couldn't catch ;_ I think this is awesome, getting them isn't ridiculously easy but it isn't extremely rare or hard.
Old Posted June 26th, 2012 (08:46 PM).
G.U.Y.
Bubblegum Betch
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Hardly. Giving a few gifts here and there don't make it any easier.

1. The Masuda Method may lower the odds significantly, but it takes time to collect and hatch all those eggs. It took me almost four months to hatch my Shiny Snivy.
2. The Shiny Charm does make it easier, however getting the shiny charm is very difficult. Completing the National Dex? Not hanks, that's almost 700 Pokemon.
Old Posted June 26th, 2012 (08:54 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I kinda think getting shinnies has gotten too easy with all of this. After learning to RNG, shiny Pokémon became very easy to obtain, but random ones still remained important to me. Completing the National Dex isn't that big of a challenge to me (especially considering I completed my White's National Dex in the first 2 weeks because I played it non-stop) so the shiny charm will take some of the specialness out of the random ones I find.

It's funny how I found a random shiny Poliwhirl in my Black this morning :P
Old Posted June 26th, 2012 (09:34 PM).
Candela
The Villainous Tactician in Glasses

Nature: Quirky
Well I won't really object to the idea that shiny Pokemon becoming easier to find. After all, during my whole entire years of gameplay, the only random shinies I found were at my 3rd gen games. The rest I got through RNG abuse. MM and SR just doesn't love me. :/

Basically, if this means that I can have a higher chance to get another random shiny, then I'm willing to risk all that playtime just to get my hands on that Shining Charm. Plus, I've always wanted to complete the National Dex, so why not? :3
Old Posted June 27th, 2012 (11:03 AM).
Rawmanian

Nature: Sassy
It took me 50+ hours to hatch a shiny Vulpix using a foreign ditto. Although I did hatch a shiny hoothoot after about a few hundred eggs and a shiny female frillish on accident so I would not mind shinies becoming a little easier to obtain as long as there is still effort put into it.
Old Posted June 27th, 2012 (12:13 PM).
Draconicsoul
Beginning Trainer

I just hope that by the time I get my Shiny charm, I've figured out how to properly use the Masuda Method. I really want a new Shiny Seel. Haven't had one since my first Crystal file, and I really want one again. Sure, they aren't really different, but it's a matter of nostalgia.

I had thought that the Charm made it HARDER to use the Masuda Method, but apparently I read the data wrong over on Serebii.
Old Posted July 7th, 2012 (12:22 PM).
TheShinyEevee
ShinyHunter Before it was Cool

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheShinyEevee
I don't really know where I stand on this.

At first I was unhappy, since it makes the shinies that people hunt for further cheaper - but I guess if you got them without the means that make them cheap it should be ok for one's self.

However, I guess at the same time it's nice to finally have a reward for a full national dex.

Either way, it'll make it yet easier to hunt and easier for those who just want a shiny. I guess it's nice they're think about what the majority want!

3DS FC: 1032-1814-9041
уσυтυвє | ѕнιηу нυηтєя'ѕ ¢υв | тυмвя

Keep your head up...
Keep your heart strong.
Old Posted July 7th, 2012 (10:19 PM).
Dinosaurs Eat at White Castle
I like superheroes.

I feel like on a whole it's gotten harder to get shinies, compared to Gen. 4. With the charms I guess it's more likely, but they'll prove to be a challenge to actually acquire. :P

With the freebies, I don't even really count those as legit shinies, since they are 100%. I remember killing the red Gyarados plenty of times haha.

In D/P/Pt, the pokeradar made it relatively easy, at least for me, to get quite a few shinies.
Old Posted July 7th, 2012 (11:41 PM).
:)Mareep:)
Unhatched Egg

For me, Shinys are near impossible to catch! The only one I've ever caught is the Shiny Gyarados in Soul Silver!
Old Posted July 8th, 2012 (02:51 AM).
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I really wouldn't say easier...
I haven't found a single shiny Pokemon since Gen 2, even with all the Pokeradars and such.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old Posted July 10th, 2012 (05:59 PM).
Pinta77
Swadloon Trainer
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
It seems like the newer the game, the easier shinies are to get. I found one in crystal. I never found any in the gba series. I found A LOT in diamond, and me and my brother each found a shiny around the beggening of soul silver. But then none in black and white :/ and i havent played black2 or white2. So i dunno, i think as far as numbers go, its easier. They need to do something about action replays though >.<
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (01:56 AM).
simons545
Aspiring Master

Nature: Calm
Hmm have caught a few shiney pokemon throughout the gens, but unsurprisingly they were nearly all rubbish have come across one or two in each game.
Found a shiny goldeen in cerulean city while fishing randomly...ran out of poké balls...
crystal:found a shiny quilfish :'( another poké i hate using
Ruby:My first usable shiny! trapinch whooooooooooooooooo. Now on my platinum game card neutral natured.
Sapphire: Magnemite in mauville (now magnezone on platinum)
emerald:none
Diamond:none
Pearl:bronzong
Platinum: chansey on route 12!
Black:none
White: none
Black 2Currently playing through)Audino in castelia gardens! shaking grass grinding
ps for those of you like me oblivious to the fact that you can catch a riolu. You can get on lv5,7 in sangi ranch 5% catch rate though. Its worth it

Current Pokémon Black 2:
Monobug
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (02:34 AM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
600 hours of Diamond

500 Hours of Pearl

300 Hours of Black

After One Thousand Four Hundred Hours total I have 3 legit shinys.

Why are they even part of the fu--ing game if you see ONE every THOUSAND HOURS?

I'm not angry, I'm just saying that making Shiny pokemon more accessible motivates players to obtain them. Good game design, by definition, is design that motivates you to play them game.

Pokemon has always been a game for children. Do they know how to RNG Abuse to get shinys? Hell, They could play for a thousand hours and NEVER even know they EXIST.

Recognize good game design when you see it. The game's target audience is still 10 years old. You can see that in every facet of design.
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (07:56 AM).
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Nature: Sassy
The only shiny pokemon I have caught (besides red gyarados in silver) was a burmy in pearl, and kyogre in emerald. (talk about luck)

But with all of these new methods, I'd say its going to be easier to catch shinies. (I only played through black once, so Idk if it actually is)

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (08:52 AM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Well so they should, it should be hard but not excruciating and time consumingly hard because IIRC there's a 1 in 8736 chance or something like that and I myself after playing for 13 years have only found one legitimately.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (12:17 PM).
Birthday Thunder
Venus

Send a message via Skype™ to Birthday Thunder
For anybody saying that the newer the game, the easier the shinies are able to get is wrong. Every game in the series has a 1/8192 chance of encountering a shiny pokemon, wether it be in the wild or through interactibility (ie picking a starter or encountering a stationary legendary) The only thing that has changed this formula is the masuda method introduced in generation 4, which was already stated to be a reason for people to want to use the GTS. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to get a shiny pokemon very easily (1/2048 by hatching eggs) by just trading somebody in japan for their ditto? lol

As for the shiny charm, I think that thing is absolute garbage and stupidity. As others have said in this thread, shinies were never supposed to be some main thing in the game, just another extra cool game mechanic for those who wanted to dedicate their time to it. As I am a shiny hunter, and have spent alot of time SRing, REing and MMing for my shinies, this charm that allows people to pretty much get a shiny whenever they want is such a slap in the face to me from gamefreak. Not to mention the two free shinies you can get in game with very little effort. It makes me sick. The lake of rage Gyarados was a vital point in the story line and is the only justified shiny that should have been given to us. The haxorus and gible/dratini serve no purpose other than for everybody just to have a shiny they dont really deserve.

I know I'm not alone in what I think but these were just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure those people who have spent their time hatching a thousand axew eggs and got their shiny, or the people who encountered thousands of pokemon just to get their random shiny gible are going to feel really good about all the work they did when everybody else has a free shiny axew/gible for no effort at all. Have fun with that. I still am going to shiny hunt till the last pokemon game, but it feels like my efforts these past two years are going to waste in this new game. Hopefully they don't bring the shiny charm back in the next game.

3DS FC for X and Y: 2766 8490 0653
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (12:32 PM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I myself after playing for 13 years have only found one legitimately.
Why are shinys even part of the game if this happens?

Catching 649 Pokemon is no small task. Don't pretend that people can just Trade 600 mons from one cartridge to another, or AR them all at a moments notice. People who want to cheat to get shinys will just go to pokecheck.org and download them instantly.

People who play by the rule will be rewarded for catching all 649 Pokemon.

DO YOU HEAR THIS? Game Freak is giving LEGITIMATE REWARDS for completing the Pokedex.

The shiny charm isn't given to you for free like Platinum Villa, you have to EARN it. And that makes all the difference.
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (12:54 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Pretty much what SnowpointQuincy said. Its no easy feat to get the Shiny Charm. Nor is it easy to get the two in game Shiny Pokemon. Banjiro is fairly hard to get to unless you are familiar enough with how to battle in these kinda battles (Battle Tower and the like) Most recreational players probably wouldn't get that far into it just for a Shiny Dragon at level 1.

Haxorus can't be visited until you get to a certain Pokedex achievement which is still difficult to do unless you are really good at trading or own two different copies and have a lot of time on your hands.

Even with the Charm's effect, its still plenty hard to get a Shiny Pokemon. I've bred tens of thousands of eggs with a Japanese Ditto in Pearl all the way to Black and never have gotten a Shiny through it. I caught 1 Shiny in every generation that Shinys were available.
Drowzee in Gen 2
Wurmple in Gen 3
Shinx in Gen 4
Tympole in Gen 5

The last happened a few weeks ago. I breed about 10 - 15 eggs a day for personal use and sometimes to shiny hunt. While the Charm makes it a bit easier, I'm still not guaranteed a shiny encounter easily, I still have to work to get them.
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (01:15 PM).
IPsychoEnigmaI
Beginning Trainer

I personally don't mind if shiny Pokemon become easier to find or not, after all I have only ever caught on shiny in Emerald (surskit). I also think that shiny Pokemon look worse than the normal coloured Pokemon. We'll just have to see when the shiny hunters set ou to catch them.
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (01:59 PM).
Kenmoor
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I've only found one shiny which was a Blue Voltorb in my Emerald game (caught in New Mauville) and I didn't even know what a shiny was. I just caught it just 'cause "...it looks special..." Though now I really don't care if I get a better chance to catch a shiny. I see no real value in them.
Seems to me that they're getting easier to catch/encounter but not necessarily enough that you could have a shiny collection, if you did it legit.
Don't know if this post sticks to the thread... feel free to delete!
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (02:23 PM).
Mystery Soul
Idea Ghost

Send a message via AIM to Mystery Soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birthday Thunder View Post
For anybody saying that the newer the game, the easier the shinies are able to get is wrong. Every game in the series has a 1/8192 chance of encountering a shiny pokemon, wether it be in the wild or through interactibility (ie picking a starter or encountering a stationary legendary) The only thing that has changed this formula is the masuda method introduced in generation 4, which was already stated to be a reason for people to want to use the GTS. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to get a shiny pokemon very easily (1/2048 by hatching eggs) by just trading somebody in japan for their ditto? lol

As for the shiny charm, I think that thing is absolute garbage and stupidity. As others have said in this thread, shinies were never supposed to be some main thing in the game, just another extra cool game mechanic for those who wanted to dedicate their time to it. As I am a shiny hunter, and have spent alot of time SRing, REing and MMing for my shinies, this charm that allows people to pretty much get a shiny whenever they want is such a slap in the face to me from gamefreak. Not to mention the two free shinies you can get in game with very little effort. It makes me sick. The lake of rage Gyarados was a vital point in the story line and is the only justified shiny that should have been given to us. The haxorus and gible/dratini serve no purpose other than for everybody just to have a shiny they dont really deserve.

I know I'm not alone in what I think but these were just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure those people who have spent their time hatching a thousand axew eggs and got their shiny, or the people who encountered thousands of pokemon just to get their random shiny gible are going to feel really good about all the work they did when everybody else has a free shiny axew/gible for no effort at all. Have fun with that. I still am going to shiny hunt till the last pokemon game, but it feels like my efforts these past two years are going to waste in this new game. Hopefully they don't bring the shiny charm back in the next game.
Dude, take a pill >.> It's a KIDS' game. Shinies have always been those aggravating things that no one really expects to find and the ones who go out of their way to find them obviously have a lot of time on their hands.

You have a problem with the Shining Charm? It requires you to have seen all 649 Pokemon in the National Dex. Now, you tell me what's easier: Trading over, evolving, and breeding ALL those Pokemon, or hunting a shiny? I think the choice is obvious. And it only cuts the chances down by a third anyways! That's still a 1/2370 chance. And no, that doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed to find one. You can go through 27370 random encounters and STILL never see a Shiny with the charm. As for the Masuda method, it cuts it down to 1/1365 eggs. Which, again, has no guarantee that you'll hatch a shiny in those 1365.

So untwist your undies, cuz it really doesn't have a significant difference in the long-run. And as for the shinies that require no effort? Whoop-dee-friggin-doo. Excuse GF for trying to reward its gamers. The Gible/Dratini requires you to defeat Black Skyscraper/White Tree Hollow. And the Haxourus? You need to see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex, which isn't much easier than trying to obtain the Shining Charm. If you can do what's required, then you are totally entitled to those shinies and the Charm.

So, in short: You are wrong for saying we don't deserve shinies just because they're given to us or because we use an item.

Thank you, have a nice day, and maybe drink some tea before you post~
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (02:47 PM).
Skitty1
Highlight my signature :)

Where is G-Money when we need him (or her?)?!

P.S. in case you did not know he/she runs the shiny Pokemon club and he has helped me [try] to find a few Pokemon before. He should be here

EDIT: @OP it is still hard to get a shiny - maybe not as hard but still.
Old Posted July 11th, 2012 (02:58 PM).
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Shiny Pokemon are easier? I haven't seen a single one.

Old Posted July 12th, 2012 (07:09 PM).
Birthday Thunder
Venus

Send a message via Skype™ to Birthday Thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Soul View Post
Dude, take a pill >.> It's a KIDS' game. Shinies have always been those aggravating things that no one really expects to find and the ones who go out of their way to find them obviously have a lot of time on their hands.

You have a problem with the Shining Charm? It requires you to have seen all 649 Pokemon in the National Dex. Now, you tell me what's easier: Trading over, evolving, and breeding ALL those Pokemon, or hunting a shiny? I think the choice is obvious. And it only cuts the chances down by a third anyways! That's still a 1/2370 chance. And no, that doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed to find one. You can go through 27370 random encounters and STILL never see a Shiny with the charm. As for the Masuda method, it cuts it down to 1/1365 eggs. Which, again, has no guarantee that you'll hatch a shiny in those 1365.

So untwist your undies, cuz it really doesn't have a significant difference in the long-run. And as for the shinies that require no effort? Whoop-dee-friggin-doo. Excuse GF for trying to reward its gamers. The Gible/Dratini requires you to defeat Black Skyscraper/White Tree Hollow. And the Haxourus? You need to see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex, which isn't much easier than trying to obtain the Shining Charm. If you can do what's required, then you are totally entitled to those shinies and the Charm.

So, in short: You are wrong for saying we don't deserve shinies just because they're given to us or because we use an item.

Thank you, have a nice day, and maybe drink some tea before you post~
I think you took my post a little too seriously there friend. ^__^ I'm so sorry that my opinion generated such a reaction from you. That's not what I meant for it to do, as I strictly remember the OP asking what our individual thoughts were on the shiny charm. All I did was state my opinion, and what do you know? I get flamed for it.

I can tell your one of those people who expect to get a shiny with no REAL effort and are probably looking forward to the charm, and that's ok with me. You don't need to defend yourself by calling the game a kids game or implying that I have no life because I hunt for the shinies during long road trips or while I'm watching TV. Yeah, that really sounds like I'm a hermit who's life revolves around pokemon.

All in all, I dont want to start an argument with you. We both have our opinions and I respect you for yours. Please just remember not to call me out for following the thread's rules next time OK? ^__~

3DS FC for X and Y: 2766 8490 0653
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links