The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Gabby and Ty are employees for Hoenn TV that appear in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald and are able to be battled and re-battled by the player. They use the Whimsur and Magnemite lines. They are unique in the fact that they are able to be instantly re-battled once they are defeated (although they will change between 3 locations). After the battle they will ask the player for a quick word on how the battle went and the response is then aired on the televisions of Hoenn.

What did you think about Gabby and Ty? Did you use them to train your Pokémon? Who was harder to defeat, Gabby (Exploud line) or Ty (Magneton line)? Did you ever answer their interview after the battle? Should have there been more trainers like this?
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Starsprite
This is how we live!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Starsprite
I remember that when I was younger I would battle them over and over to see if anything would happen. Of course nothing ever did, but I think they did help a bit in getting my Pokemon to level up. I also think I enjoyed making them put silly phrases on T.V.

I think having NPCs reoccur like that was a pretty cool idea, looking back on it. I don't really see a point behind it, but it was certainly fun to play around with.
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Ah I had Swampert blast through everything in the game so I couldn't tell tbh :P

It's a cool idea, and not a hard one to implement at all, as it seems.

I hated the "cool phrase" word selection screen. AAAHHHHH so much frustration.

Old July 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I loved the battles they gave you; Magneton and Exploud were certainly very interesting Pokémon to fight together. And they were relatively strong compared to other trainers in the areas and gave lots of money :D Although I'll agree with droomph that the word selection thing was just annoying haha.
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Oh I loved Gabby and Ty actually. I never had much trouble with either of them after my first playthrough because generally I'm very overleveled at any given point and always had a Blaziken. Type advantages are fab. But yeah no I really liked them; they were kind of fun and unique.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

I liked fighting Gabby & Ty a lot during my Pokemon Ruby days. They helped me a lot when I needed extra money, and boy do they give out a lot as AlexOzzyCake said.

Magneton was a little tricky to take out due to its resistances but luckily I had a Breloom with me often. Exploud is not too difficult although its Hyper Voice hits hard.

They can be easily crushed with any Fighting-type.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I actually liked them. I didn't have much trouble with them using Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon and Swampert together. Sometimes, I battled them for the free EXP.

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Zephele
✧ leave it to me!

I only just realised you could challenge them repeatedly (as in, more than three times) recently. And they made for a decent way to level up prior to Elite Four, considering that their Pokemon were at relatively high level, and there's the bonus of money. They weren't too much of a problem against my team, since I had an Exploud with Flamethrower to take care of Magneton, and Soundproof to negate Hyper Voice.

Other than that, I guess their little interview thing was cute, but I never bothered giving a reply after the first time, haha.
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Younger I loved battling them. And I answered their interview seriously during a long time, acting like a star, I thought this concept was funny x)
Then, when I got bored, I just used them for the training.

Old July 5th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
I love these guys!!
But, the Magneton line was harder since I had a mainly Grass filled team.
And Steel/Grass don't mix.
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:20 AM
iiZqHD
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
I loved battling them It was like a free money and xp farm for my mudkip
And there should definatley be more trainers like that!

Current Challenges:
Ultimate Solo Challenge: Dratini
[FR,R,HG,P]

Check Out My Lets Plays Here
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
I never found the Magneton too difficult to beat, but that Exploud was usually bulky. Anyway, I don't care for the interviews anymore, but when I first started playing, I would tell them the name of the Pokemon that made the final move in battle. Eventually I started telling them random words like thirsty (speaking of that, remember the rumor that they would give you a fresh water if you said that?) and babe. Nowadays I just don't bother, but they're a good grinding method once you reach Fortree and have the ability to battle them at all three places they stay.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
zombie101
Woah

Nature: Relaxed
[SIZE="a"]I put funny answers HOW WAS THE BATTLE boring[/SIZE]
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
It was really nice to have more "background" characters with a personality! And it was certainly nice to have more opportunities to utilize the tv interview system.
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I actually really liked them! Their Pokemon were a challenge for me to beat back in the day when I played RSE, and they were useful for gaining money and EXP. Though afterwards in the interview I would mostly choose random words since the word choosing process was tedious.
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

I loved it cause it was a battle with a purpose if you know what I mean - I always gave them their interview haha :D Plus I deliberately put my two faves out and made sure the last move was awesome so it was all mentioned on TV lol :D
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Itcheeee

It's kind of interesting, nice for training, but I wish the word choosing system was more like in Diamond and Pearl. Being able to use only one word makes it a bit hard to really do a whole lot with it. Still fun to see more interactive NPCs.
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ravenfreak
Raven rocks! :D

Nature: Brave
Well I never actually had any trouble beating them, and they were great to battle constantly to train my Pokemon. However, every time I would defeat them i'd pick "Weak" to describe the battle, and I would laugh every time I'd see it on tv. xD

Challenges completed:
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue final Level:70
Defeat the Elite Four + Champion with 1 Pokemon!-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue Level:74
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Swampert in Ruby Level:67
Love Sonic the hedgehog? Come join The Final Zone today!
http://thefinalzone.org/
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
To answer myself:

I liked the idea of Gabby and Ty. I found them to be a good place to train weaker Pokémon. I always found Ty and his Magneton more annoying because of its resistances and the fact that it knew Thunder Wave. I would usually answer their interview the first time, and then only when I could be bothered after that. It would've been cool to have more trainers like them so that I could train on them, but I guess that would make them less special.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I REMEMBER THESE GUYS!

Well, I don't actually remember them. But the picture at the top of the article certainly reminded me of their existence in RSE. I think they were a kinda cool addition to the games, although writing a 'cool word' after every battle probably got very tiresome very quickly. At least now I'm probably going to remember their names! :D
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
They were always my way to train before the Elite Four. It was easy xp along with a decent amount of money so I could buy more TM's at the Game Corner. Their Pokemon weren't too bad, although Exploud didn't tend to faint easy. I liked them in a way, but I feel like they should have done something more rather thank stalk you all the time. (Yeah, they did 'interview' Captain Stern, but that's about it for reporting.)
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Xebelleon
Mugcake Handler

used them for the double battle "teach a move to smeargle" trick where Sketch targets Smeargle's partner, whatever it was (Baton Pass, explosive move (Curse to Ghost Smeargle first)) or is.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Bourne-mouth
Trainer

Nature: Serious
I liked battling them in the olden days. I remember sweeping their Pokemon off with my Swampert's Muddy Water in Emerald. And then they would handle a silly interview which I hardly answer. And then you end up being aired on TV. What bollocks was that.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
AngelArsenic
Beginning Trainer

I could care one way or the other. If I run across them I battle. I always choose the fire starter so Combusken/Blaziken made it really easy to sweep the battle. I only give an interview if I manage to defeat them without taking a hit because they add an interesting addition to their report on tv. And since that's the only time I give them an interview I actually take the time to choose interesting replies.

Last edited by AngelArsenic; August 28th, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Gabby and ty annoy me. They arent very efficient xp and i hate answering an interview with 1 word. Meh, it was a decent idea though.

Wonder Trade!!!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links