The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
R a c h e l's Avatar
R a c h e l
Formerly Sapphiress
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London, UK
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky

Well hello
I used to be around here quite a bit making graphics, but it's been a while! Here are examples of my work:
Old Stuff [2010 and earlier]
Spoiler:






















(I actually think this was my first ever banner hahaha)









































New Stuff [2011/2012]





Not happy with the text on that one but just couldn't find one to match the style!








I'm happy to receive criticism so I can learn how to improve, as I know some of these (but hopefully not ALL) could have been much better!

I might replace this gallery with a shop once I properly get back into the swing of things - I'm currently doing random requests here and there...

ANYWAY, I hope you like what you see!

Toodles,
R a c h e l ;]
__________________



Last edited by R a c h e l; July 24th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Squirrel's Avatar
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Wow, I'm really impressed, your gallery holds tonnes of great graphics. I've gotta say the Toon Link one is my favourite, although I am a sucker for anything Link related xD I just adore the effects you've used on it, you've really emphasized his heroic nature which is impressive considering he's such a small and carefree character. I also adore the Castform banner since it takes adorableness to a new level and the cloud effect in the corner is really, well, effective. xP It's honestly pretty difficult to think of areas that you can improve on. When I first loaded the gallery, I instantly thought "Oh man, here's another load of over-used c4d effects", but you've got the balance of effects in the banners really well thought out. The only thing I would say (and this is being very picky) is that the text is often quite difficult to read in the banners. But having said that it is still completely legible in the large majority of the banners, so it's not really an issue, just something to consider in the future. :) (Main examples are the Lady Gaga and Squishy banners :3)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
R a c h e l's Avatar
R a c h e l
Formerly Sapphiress
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London, UK
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Wow, I'm really impressed, your gallery holds tonnes of great graphics. I've gotta say the Toon Link one is my favourite, although I am a sucker for anything Link related xD I just adore the effects you've used on it, you've really emphasized his heroic nature which is impressive considering he's such a small and carefree character. I also adore the Castform banner since it takes adorableness to a new level and the cloud effect in the corner is really, well, effective. xP It's honestly pretty difficult to think of areas that you can improve on. When I first loaded the gallery, I instantly thought "Oh man, here's another load of over-used c4d effects", but you've got the balance of effects in the banners really well thought out. The only thing I would say (and this is being very picky) is that the text is often quite difficult to read in the banners. But having said that it is still completely legible in the large majority of the banners, so it's not really an issue, just something to consider in the future. (Main examples are the Lady Gaga and Squishy banners :3)
Thanks for your kind feedback! Haha I can't get the balance right with text - it either doesn't blend or is slightly illegible... oops. I'll learn! Glad you like the Link banner, I was so happy to make that one since I'm a big Zelda fan too xD
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Altairis's Avatar
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: database database
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I really love these, I like how you can blend the render into the background really well (your Aerodactly sig.. awesome ). And the effects <3 I also really like the Link sig (but I maybe would have done different text) and the Palkia one (just other 2 that I love). I hope you update the gallery in the future, as it would be cool to see more of your work because I admire these.
__________________
showdown, gallery, anime, & family
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM
R a c h e l's Avatar
R a c h e l
Formerly Sapphiress
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London, UK
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
I really love these, I like how you can blend the render into the background really well (your Aerodactly sig.. awesome ). And the effects <3 I also really like the Link sig (but I maybe would have done different text) and the Palkia one (just other 2 that I love). I hope you update the gallery in the future, as it would be cool to see more of your work because I admire these.
Thank you very much! Yep, I agree with you on the Link one, I made it before I started experimenting with fonts so it looks very bland now!
It's very reassuring to hear that you think I blend the renders well, as that was something I used to struggle with and therefore practiced a lot
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:35 AM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f
...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
That Link one is awesome. Yeah you're right about that font business, but you put together a nice bunch of pics. My favourite is the Castform one, cause its sooo cute!

BTW, I saw some kind of weirdness below the "Rachel" text of your Aerodactyl banner.
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Altairis's Avatar
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: database database
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
That's a clipping mask, some people use it in their sigs. I actually think it's cool.
__________________
showdown, gallery, anime, & family
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:12 AM
R a c h e l's Avatar
R a c h e l
Formerly Sapphiress
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London, UK
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f View Post
That Link one is awesome. Yeah you're right about that font business, but you put together a nice bunch of pics. My favourite is the Castform one, cause its sooo cute!

BTW, I saw some kind of weirdness below the "Rachel" text of your Aerodactyl banner.
Haha yep it's a clipping mask! Just made a blank rectangle then used a bit of the rest of the banner to fill it in, essentially. I don't do it much but I do like the effect! Thanks for your comments
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Lilaaa's Avatar
Lilaaa
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
I like your skittyl one <3
the rest...idk either seem to be missing something or are too lq or flat .____.
__________________

set by Nana-chan~~~i love chu nana~<333
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.