Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 10th, 2012 (08:41 PM).
Exile
confectionery behemoth
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Yes RMT archive would be cool, I know anti is vehemently opposed to this but I mean its cool to look at the good teams of the past since it gives us a piece of the forum and metagame's hitory.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old July 11th, 2012 (12:52 AM).
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.

Nature: Serious
I kinda dig the all-subforums format except discussions in main...hopefully I am understanding it correctly. One of my big issues with the "switcheroo" was its grouping of discussion and T&E stuff which for me made no sense at all and I think this solves that problem pretty well. I think it solves the "oh i forgot the subforum [t&e] existed, oopsies" thing that at least for me has been an issue, hehe.

I think thread approval in T&E only would be a good idea just because of the nature of the forum and how "bad threads" there tend to last awhile while bad RMTs, discussions, etc. will just die fairly quickly.

For whatever it's worth, I've never liked the RMT Archive for PC though "vehemently opposed" is definitely an overstatement at this point. I think the only thing that really really govern policy (aka what we do) is whether or not people want to do it, are excited about it, etc. And if RMT Archive is a popular idea, I don't see why not. (I would drop the idea that we'd be chronicling the meta here though. Has a rain stall team even been posted here, for example? I think a pure showcase would be preferable if we do it.)
Old July 11th, 2012 (01:02 PM). Edited July 11th, 2012 by wolf.
wolf

To summarize the changes:

Spoiler:
- A "Competitive Team Help" sub-forum will be made and will include RMTs for competitive battling. The main forum will no longer have RMTs.

- Simple Q&A Thread will be deleted and replaced by "Competitive Team Questions," which will be in the aforementioned sub-forum. It will be for questions regarding team help (i.e. moveset requests/help, incomplete teams that don't count as RMTs, etc.). I see no point in keeping a question thread in a main forum once that thread is made, because any other questions regarding competitive battling would be better suited in other forums (i.e. "What are EVs?" can go in the other Pokémon gaming forums). Questions like "Any tips on prediction?" is pretty open-ended, so the user could make a discussion thread on it.

- "Competitive Battling Chat" will be deleted. The thread served its purpose (promoting discussion), and now it isn't needed anymore. The main forum will now consist of mainly discussion threads, so having a general chat would be a bad idea and would reduce activity in the forum. Most posts in the battling chat fit in other threads anyway. We will likely have general discussion threads on most metagames too (like "BW NU Discussion").

- Tournaments & Events will no longer be Battle Stadium (past forum) with a different name. T&E will strictly about tournaments, other events, and nothing else. (This doesn't change many things, but Quick Battle Thread will then be moved into the main forum because it isn't an event.)

- Tournaments & Events will have thread approval implemented to reduce the amount of excess (and inactive) events.

- A sticky thread for the PC's Pokémon Online Server will be made in the main forum to replace the announcement. This thread will be for all questions and discussion related to the server (mainly "Is the server down?" questions), and would include PC Ladder information.

- A "Battle Log Discussion" sticky thread will be made for posting and discussing battle replays, discussing battle log / warstory stuff, and the first post will likely have an archive of notable battle logs and replays. Actual battle logs will still be posted in the main forum (might change the thread title if it's too confusing).

- Rules will get revamped. Other stickies will probably get revamped too while I'm at it.

If no one is against this, I will go ahead and ask higher staff to make the sub-forum in a while.

Quote originally posted by droomph:
The main problem here is that it's not interesting.

<snip>
The new format would fix that actually. At the moment, the main forum has discussion and RMTs as the main types of threads (as well as battle logs and guides, but those aren't common). A sub-forum will be made for RMTs, making way for discussion. Discussion has always been the most important part of CBC (and really any forum), but this will put more attention towards it. We have quite a bit of discussion threads currently, but all the RMTs make them hard to find.

Quote originally posted by Anti:
I kinda dig the all-subforums format except discussions in main...hopefully I am understanding it correctly. One of my big issues with the "switcheroo" was its grouping of discussion and T&E stuff which for me made no sense at all and I think this solves that problem pretty well. I think it solves the "oh i forgot the subforum [t&e] existed, oopsies" thing that at least for me has been an issue, hehe.

I think thread approval in T&E only would be a good idea just because of the nature of the forum and how "bad threads" there tend to last awhile while bad RMTs, discussions, etc. will just die fairly quickly.

For whatever it's worth, I've never liked the RMT Archive for PC though "vehemently opposed" is definitely an overstatement at this point. I think the only thing that really really govern policy (aka what we do) is whether or not people want to do it, are excited about it, etc. And if RMT Archive is a popular idea, I don't see why not. (I would drop the idea that we'd be chronicling the meta here though. Has a rain stall team even been posted here, for example? I think a pure showcase would be preferable if we do it.)
It also fixes the issue with post count and the switcheroo. Allowing both discussion and events in the main forum would mean cutting off post count in discussion as well.

I think thread approval would improve activity in T&E actually. By stopping users from making unnecessary leagues, I can tell them to devote their activity to already existing leagues. If they were allowed to make their own run-of-the-mill league, their league would eventually die because of activity and the owner would probably give up and leave with it.

I just included RMT Archive in my post because battle logs were getting one; I didn't really think about it much. I'm not really sure whether it would be a good idea to have one. One thing though: instead of a RMT Archive, we could have more like a "Team Archive" and people post teams they have for specific tiers (I remember Vrai mentioning that to me?). Then, new battlers can use those teams for starting out in competitive battling, or just tiers they haven't played in.
Old July 11th, 2012 (04:24 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Wolflare:
<stuff>

If no one is against this, I will go ahead and ask higher staff to make the sub-forum in a while.
I've been meaning to get into CBC *someday* myself, so this will be great for newbies like me.
Quote originally posted by Wolflare:
The new format would fix that actually. At the moment, the main forum has discussion and RMTs as the main types of threads (as well as battle logs and guides, but those aren't common). A sub-forum will be made for RMTs, making way for discussion. Discussion has always been the most important part of CBC (and really any forum), but this will put more attention towards it. We have quite a bit of discussion threads currently, but all the RMTs make them hard to find.
Also, I was thinking, you could probably add a [Discussion] thread prefix if it's too much work for you :)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links